• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, OP. The Pocket Edition might actually be a better game, just by virtue of being so much more condensed.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The game has some good stuff but the combat system is horrible. I only enjoyed parts of it when I got the magic rings which actually added some strategy to the combat. I think 15 is a step in the right direction but it doesnt come close to the ps1 and 2 entries. I recently bought ff9 on Switch and Im enjoyong thay a lot more.

BurstLayer

Feb 6, 2019
One of the best, worst games ive ever played. Followed the story through the movie and everything. Played through it, beat it, got emotional at the ending just to turn it off and give it like a 5/10

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The weekly hate on FFXV resumes. Only thing that happens more regularly on this forum is Switch port-begging.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is my favorite FF game. It has its flaws - and it has plenty of them - but I love it and its universe in spite of them. The storytelling's a bit messy at first due to how the early hours rely on Kingsglaive for its impact, but I think the story as a whole is really good, particularly once you get to Altissia, and it stays strong from there on. And the relationship between Noct, Prompto, Ignis, and Gladio is one of my favorite things about the game— it absolutely nails the theme of brotherhood. I'll also echo those who say that Ardyn is a really good villain.

I urge you to stick with it, but I also know the game isn't for everyone for a variety of reasons. I just think that it's definitely possible to find enjoyment in the game even with all of its problems, both in story and gameplay. And I'm someone who loved it even before all of the additional content was added after launch— I've considered it my favorite game in the series since I beat it at launch. The additional stuff has only made it even better.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
FFXV is my favorite FF game. It has its flaws - and it has plenty of them - but I love it and its universe in spite of them. The storytelling's a bit messy at first due to how the early hours rely on Kingsglaive for its impact, but I think the story as a whole is really good, particularly once you get to Altissia, and it stays strong from there on. And the relationship between Noct, Prompto, Ignis, and Gladio is one of my favorite things about the game— it absolutely nails the theme of brotherhood. I'll also echo those who say that Ardyn is a really good villain.

I urge you to stick with it, but I also know the game isn't for everyone for a variety of reasons. I just think that it's definitely possible to find enjoyment in the game even with all of its problems, both in story and gameplay. And I'm someone who loved it even before all of the additional content was added after launch— I've considered it my favorite game in the series since I beat it at launch.

If I have learned anything on this forum, it's that don't even try to convince these hardcore haters. A lot of them just wanna get some forum addiction by posting a thread about it.

FFXV has a metacritic of 81, but if you judge by the feedback on this forum, it's more like a 59 crackdown 3 level game.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If I have learned anything on this forum, it's that don't even try to convince these hardcore haters. A lot of them just wanna get some forum addiction by posting a thread about it.

FFXV has a metacritic of 81, but if you judge by the feedback on this forum, it's more like a 59 crackdown 3 level game.
Yeah, a lot of the hate towards the game is kind of overblown. I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinions or anything like that, but there's a lot of exaggeration when it comes to XV. And it sucks, because while it isn't for everyone, it's far from a bad game. Reception was generally positive at launch for a reason.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'm towards the end of the game (just messing with side quests at this point) and I really wish it was better. It just feels like they wrote an outline of the story and forgot to fill in the bits in-between. I never know why characters or events are important. But there's all this cool imagery like Titan, and Shiva, and the Adamantoise fight. I like Noctis and his crew, but all the other characters, including Luna, feel like they are not fleshed out at all. All those scenes with young Noctis and Luna don't feel like they're childhood friends, it feels like their dads are old high school buddies and they're just trying to keep their kids occupied.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I played 12 hours and it don't get better.

Combat is awkward as you said, using magic is obtuse, dodging and countering feels weak and the latter unresponsive. The world is dull and the story half-baked. I ultimately quit when I was doing a side mission and realized I was having absolutely no fun whatsoever.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
After about 5 bewildering and unenjoyable hours with this game, I'm struggling to find one nice thing to say.

It's a shitty game and the story is nonsense.

I played to the end and I'm angry I wasted my time.

If you don't like what you've seen so far, stop playing because, as difficult as this is to believe, the beginning is probably the best part.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it alright in the end. But that was maybe because it wasn't the complete and total train wreck I expected. The four bros were alright, and I expected to hate them. I did like some of the dungeons and the combat had its moments. It's definitely not a great game though and I'd have a hard time recommending it to most people.

And yeah, if you don't like it yet, it doesn't really get any better. Except for end game Noctis design which is just awesome. I'd rather play a game about that guy.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Save your breath and time, I promise you it doesn't get any better. KH3 at least has been enjoyable for me...

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
What you're describing is exactly what the game is. It doesn't get better.

This the result of years and years of forcing out almost every talented person that has ever worked at Square and replacing them with slobbering yes-men who will say anything to please their superiors.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of the hate towards the game is kind of overblown. I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinions or anything like that, but there's a lot of exaggeration when it comes to XV. And it sucks, because while it isn't for everyone, it's far from a bad game. Reception was generally positive at launch for a reason.
What if they're of the opinion that it is a bad game? If you like it, great a lot of people would agree perhaps even the majority. I WANTED to like it, repeated attempts at playing it prove fruitless. I can never get into FFXV as much as I would want to. If I'm not enjoying playing the game and at a disagreeance with most aspects of the game, I can't just say it's middling or mediocre. It would be bias on part to say anything other than FFXV being a bad, terrible experience for me.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I've really enjoyed the laidback exploration and combat in FFXV. It lets me explore interesting areas with some flash and style, and I get lost in it. I only started the game a few months ago and I've spent like 40 hours just doing hunts and sidequests. I'm only on chapter 3 I think.

I've spent 100s of hours in Breath of the Wild for similar reasons. I've been at the end of the game for over a year, but I've never bothered to fight Ganon because I just wander around and do other stuff instead. Of course, Breath of the Wild is my GOAT.

They're the only games I've really played in the past two years.

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

Don't take it personal, I'm not trying to dunk on your tastes or anything, genuinely glad you guys love the game. More than shitting on the game in my OP, I was trying to express how surprised I was by my incredibly negative experience with a Final Fantasy game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I had a really bad time with it. I can't think of a greater disconnect I've had with a game when it came to controlling the characters. Even at the recommended level it just felt like uncontrollable chaos that occasionally looked flashy.

It feels like they took out any semblance of decision making that XII and even XIII had and turned it into a pure level check, but forgot to update the level requirements correctly for missions. I've no other explanation of why I had such a bad time getting through that game.

If it weren't for KHIII I'm not sure I'd have any faith left in Square to design a good combat engine for the VII remake, but KH felt so great. XV not so much.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF XV is a low point in Final Fantasy storytelling. Yes, that includes Lightning Returns and the orphanage scene in VIII. It's completely missing the inciting incident and requires you to watch a 2 hour movie instead. Character motivations make no damn sense, they disappear randomly, reappear randomly, and suddenly you realize you have to play DLC to understand. Vital plot points are put in optional and hard to find notes written in Chapter 13. Shit like "A stitch in time" just fucking happens and promptly moves on just as quickly. Major events happen off screen and you find out in a newspaper. The main heroine and love interest maybe has 10 minutes of combined screen time and just had her DLC cancelled.

It's a shambles of a project thrown together from fragmented pieces and seriously has me doubting Square Enix can put out a competent Final Fantasy.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? Surely the latest project from the genius director of The 3rd Birthday and Final Fantasy Type-0 is amazing.

Its success, generally positive critical reception and apparently hardcore fanbase are mystifying to me.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
yeah pretty much this (but nice animations tho)

and people ask me why i'm worried about ff7 remake with real time combat instead of turn based combat after this shitshow...
Well KHIII had great combat. Who knows what VII looks like but KH was enough to actually make me believe that VIIRE could be a good game.

Honestly when I think of XV and the changes it went through it just seems like they themselves never had a good handle of what exactly they wanted to do. They just went through too many iterations with it to ever really get a solid grasp of it and iterate upon it.

Versus XIII had a KH style command interface. The episode duscae demo (which I played a lot of) got rid of all that. It was a slower, weightier fighting system to what they had in the final release. You equipped weapons based on what attack you were doing, like you equip a weapon for air attacks, for counter attacks, standard attacks etc. It was strange and experimental and divisive but actually really interesting. Like a RPG's take on God Hand or something.

But people didn't take to it at all and instead we got this sort of automated version of a character action game, like DMC but without all the decision making those games have. It's just badly caught between trying to be this electrifying combat thing but keeping the player as far away as possible from having to really think too hard about fighting strategies. It just never felt as good an RPG combat system as XII or even XIII did and hopeless as an action game, nor did it manage to balance between the two as well as KH.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What combat is out of control. It is so, so bad.

Hold attack. Wrangle camera. Hold Dodge? Ghost Dodge?

Throw a grenade. Wrestle with the camera some more. Uuuhhhh zero shift up a telephone pole. Oh I can see now. Get em, prompto!

Look at gladio's calves. My god. Hes such a babe I just want to go over and lick him.

Throw another grenade!

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Another weird thing.

The screen shows the X prompt to open a door or touch an item or whatever and it NEVER works the first time I press. So Noctis always does a hop before executing the action.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
"Like, nothing about this game is working for me. It seems incredibly hallow, poorly thought out, poorly executed. "

That's because it is. The only nice thing I can say about the game is that it has nice looking assets.

I'm actually baffled how the game didn't get blasted in reviews because it was even worse back in 2016.

The only thing that made me reach the ending of the game was my curiosity to see wtf happened to this project and get a better picture of the whole thing because I used to care about it. I used to care so much about it. It's complete fucking garbage. When I reached the end, I had zero doubt about that and no one can convince me otherwise.

Still, some people clearly like it. I respect their opinion but I have a hard time understanding why would any one find this entertaining. It's the most disjointed game I have ever played. It's just a pile of pretty assets and uncooked ideas.

"A Final Fantasy for fans and first timers", in the end I don't think either group was pleased with this. First timers, I can't see they come back to FF after this strange experience and there is nothing here for old fans.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell you that it does not get better in the slightest. The first couple of hours were what I enjoyed most, honestly.

A certain morbid curiosity of how such a high-budget and graphically beautiful but honestly quite terrible game could ever be made kept me playing it to the end. It wasn't that long, thankfully. I think I finished around 27 hours.

FF XV has perhaps the worst combat I've experienced in a game.

Yep, it sucks straight to the end, never really making sense or providing the feedback you would want.

Another weird thing.

The screen shows the X prompt to open a door or touch an item or whatever and it NEVER works the first time I press. So Noctis always does a hop before executing the action.

I remember reading about that. Luckily I played the Japanese version in which confirm and jump were not bound to the same button.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
After about 5 bewildering and unenjoyable hours with this game, I'm struggling to find one nice thing to say.

Combat: Maybe the worst aspect of the game if it wasn't for the storytelling. This autoflow not really action but let's pretend it is combat system seems terrible. I can't even grasp how I'm supposed to have fun with this. You hold circle, dodge occasionally, unleash some team attacks or whatever, but never is it fun. I've been avoiding combat because of this and now I'm clearly under leveled.

Storytelling: There doesn't really seem to be any? The setup is pretty intriguing, but then your thrust out into the world and everything is dead in the water. Most conversations take less than a minute, don't create any sense of suspense, intrigue, endearment, nothing. Just here's some lines of dialogue and off you go, next waypoint!

Western RPGisms: Icon vomit, waypoints with little or nothing to do between (what's with all the long, silent car rides?), and constant experience gains. I did one sidequest where you walk around a town with some girl for about 2 minutes and was gifted/interrupted with exp every few sentences. WTF is this? Where is the immersion? The skill trees, the menus, yuck.

The car: This was a decent idea with awful execution. I've never understood people who say they fall asleep while playing a game, but these care rides very well may do the trick.

The setting: Where is all the enchantment and atmosphere? 1950's American with anime dudes running around ain't it.

Like, nothing about this game is working for me. It seems incredibly hallow, poorly thought out, poorly executed.

I'm just...bewildered how everything feels like it went so wrong. Ultimately, I'd like to know what people who enjoyed it found redeeming about the game. Not for the sake of argument, but maybe perspective so I can give it another go.
I felt exactly the same way... stopped playing ... came back a year later and beat the game... the combat at least feels better when you focus on unlocking the combat abilities... The story picks up somewhat... Don't do sidequests except for maybe some hunting ones since those are somewhat enjoyable... the world you just get used to and accept as a boring take on real life instead of an actual, interesting world to explore... it's really not bad... but it's not entirely fantastic like some FFs are.... I'd say focus on those battle abilities... after beating it ... I was glad I had played it. after beating XIII for example I was just glad it was over.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Well KHIII had great combat. Who knows what VII looks like but KH was enough to actually make me believe that VIIRE could be a good game.

Honestly when I think of XV and the changes it went through it just seems like they themselves never had a good handle of what exactly they wanted to do. They just went through too many iterations with it to ever really get a solid grasp of it and iterate upon it.

Versus XIII had a KH style command interface. The episode duscae demo (which I played a lot of) got rid of all that. It was a slower, weightier fighting system to what they had in the final release. You equipped weapons based on what attack you were doing, like you equip a weapon for air attacks, for counter attacks, standard attacks etc. It was strange and experimental and divisive but actually really interesting. Like a RPG's take on God Hand or something.

But people didn't take to it at all and instead we got this sort of automated version of a character action game, like DMC but without all the decision making those games have. It's just badly caught between trying to be this electrifying combat thing but keeping the player as far away as possible from having to really think too hard about fighting strategies. It just never felt as good an RPG combat system as XII or even XIII did and hopeless as an action game, nor did it manage to balance between the two as well as KH.
is not that great really...

the difficulty level is absurdly easy even on hard, the camera is better than past games but still far from perfect for a fast paced action rpg game like this, a lot of special moves are too fancy and take too much control from the player, also they are futile because the game is piss easy.

it's a good brain-dead mash X to win with nice effects and animation combat system but far from great in the current state imho.

if square choose a mix of combat from ff15 and kh3 and pick the wrong part of both, oh boy...
(sorry for my english)

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
When I drag this game, I do think about the people who liked it. And I feel bad. But I have to drag this game.

Everything in op is correct. It's wild to see where final fantasy is at these days. A multimedia extravaganza and the classic games a distant memory.

You should play the game again. It's changed alot, for example you can switch characters and , no you just don't hold O.

Also, the game is pure joy to explore and some of the new collaborations ate quite balanced and fun imo.

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
5 hours is more than enough time to decide whether you like a JRPG or not. Do you know the full depth of combat or whatever? Of course not. But the beginning of JRPGs tend to be the most enjoyable part before the inevitable grind sets in.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up enjoying it but a lot of the main missions are awful and the mission design in general is archaic. The storytelling is incompetent from beginning to end.

I mostly enjoyed the camaraderie between the characters and the few mechanics in the game that reinforce it. The photo stuff, the road trip element, the food buffs, and the fishing.

I think if you don't like the main characters and their friendship then the game is a hard sell.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
the difficulty level is absurdly easy even on hard, the camera is better than past games but still far from perfect for a fast paced action rpg game like this, a lot of special moves are too fancy and take too much control from the player, also they are futile because the game is piss easy.

it's a good brain-dead mash X to win with nice effects and animation combat system but far from great in the current state imho.
Yeah, it's very easy and unbalanced with the powerups. But underneath these things is a really mechanically solid fighting system. You can actually decide what Sora does and make him do dope shit. In XV you have little control over anything.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's very easy and unbalanced with the powerups. But underneath these things is a really mechanically solid fighting system. You can actually decide what Sora does and make him do dope shit. In XV you have little control over anything.

There are people who can beat the game at level 1, Just because you aren't manually controlling all your team mates doesn't mean you don't have control over whats happening.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You should play the game again. It's changed alot, for example you can switch characters and , no you just don't hold O.

Also, the game is pure joy to explore and some of the new collaborations ate quite balanced and fun imo.

I can't imagine what could save this game but I'm curious enough to try. I said before that I'll get around to it. But it feels like I've given this game it's turn. Idk :/