• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have a near identical setup to your own OP...PS4 Pro and a 55' B6 OLED.

I never have the problem with games or the dashboard, but it's a common problem with Bluray playback. The picture often cuts out for a few seconds, goes completely black before returning.

It's so aggravating and common that I use my PS3 for Bluray playback.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
What I sometimes get is when waking up the PS4 Pro and switching my 7 years old LG TV to it HDMI input, I get no sound. The solution is to turn the tv off and then on again. Changing channels or rebooting the console doesn't help. I've never had this issue with my other consoles.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I have this problem all the time when I use 4K HDMI cables... tried so many of them and it does not matter. Switch back to non 4K and there is no issue but that is not why I have a pro. My X1x has never had an issue. Drives me nuts...

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I have some handshaking problems with my PS4 Pro and Sony XE8005, too. It often switches from 4k to 1080p without a reason.
With my older TV and old PS4 I sometimes had to reset the HDMI channel to get sound.

Since Sony doesn't fix it, I guess it's a hardware problem. :(

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Have this issue with the PS4 Pro and my 65 inch KS8000 Samsung tv. Randomly it flickers and it'll turn the screen black and I still hear sound and everything else for about 5 seconds and then if flicker back on. It has killed my gaming on me quite a few times because of that. For a moment I thought I had a defective HDMI port on the PS Pro but I think it's something else now.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Have this issue with the PS4 Pro and my 65 inch KS8000 Samsung tv. Randomly it flickers and it'll turn the screen black and I still hear sound and everything else for about 5 seconds and then if flicker back on. It has killed my gaming on me quite a few times because of that. For a moment I thought I had a defective HDMI port on the PS Pro but I think it's something else now.

I had this exact problem with a Sony TV. Fixed by buying a high speed HDMI cable. I guess I had been using HDMI 1.4 cables and when games were in 4K or HDR it would do this. Once I bought a cable the was HDCP 2.2 compliant this stopped.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get a similar issue to this where occasionally no signal displays when I turn the TV on. Ive tried different wires, different ports and different devices, they all work fine. I either have to turn the tv on and off or get up and replug the HDMI cable to get it to work. Extremely frustrating as it happens pretty frequently.

Pro is hooked up to a 1080p Samsung and since its a launch model Im SoL since the warranty expired.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the same issue on my 65' samsung but not on the 55' one and I use the same PS4 Pro and cable for both. So bloody strange...

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my switch is doing this on my ks8000, so i moved it to another samsung in my kids toy room and it works fine

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully that "2190p YUY420" settings adjustment will fix OP's problem.

Not sure if it's the exact same issue, but when I got my Xbox One X it would flash black for like... a second to a second-and-a-half and come back on my Samsung 4k tv. It was super annoying but after a good while of just dealing with it and getting pissed every time it happened, I found out that if I disabled the YCC 4:2:2 option (or whatever it was called) in my Xbox One settings, it stopped completely and has been playing fine since I did.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This started happenning to me as well but after I connected my ps4 pro to the ps vr lilttle box.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The only hdmi problem I have is when I update my pro and it reboots. It scrambles the fuck out of my oled screen and activates 3D for some reason. I have to turn off and on the tv to fix it.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
i get this too. seems like a wide spread problem.

I'm starting to wonder if the pack-in cable that came with the Pro is cheaply made

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I have a near identical setup to your own OP...PS4 Pro and a 55' B6 OLED.

I never have the problem with games or the dashboard, but it's a common problem with Bluray playback. The picture often cuts out for a few seconds, goes completely black before returning.

It's so aggravating and common that I use my PS3 for Bluray playback.

E6 OLED. Onkyo TX-NR656. Pro.

1 drop per session, generally about 10 min after starting playing

Recovers after 5-6 seconds or so.

Only device to have any issues and I have all teh consoles, ha.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an HDMI switch, a mixer, and an audio extractor and I don't have this problem. Man I feel for you. I still can't get HDR to work though.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I have it too. Recently upgraded to a Pro, never had a problem with my old PS4 (everything else in my setup remained exactly the same). As soon as I stated using the Pro, I get these annoying random dropouts.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it works for you bro. I was playing shit like Bloodborne and Nioh and those are two games you DEFINTELY don't want to be randomly losing picture/audio on all of a sudden. Trust I was calling Samsung like a mad man and damn near stopped playing them both until I figured out the problem.

This shit would happen to me in the middle of inferno EDF matches. I can pause, but it would be so sudden at times that it caught me off guard. Really pissed me off.

Oct 27, 2017
I had this SAME exact problem with my 55" QLED Samsung. What I personally did that seemed to work for me was go to Settings - Resolution and change it to 2190p YUY420

Once it did this, it stopped. I'm not a visual-phile or anything but my guess is if its left on the default setting (automatic) the TV or PS4 Pro kinda lapses in trying to handshake another when its time to produce the resolution since its looking for the best possible visual setting. I guess if you just manually assign it one to find then it goes straight to it no problem. I had just bought the TV on Valentine's Day and had called Samsung twice thinking it was either the TV or the OneConnect device. After some sleuthing I figured out it wasn't the TV, HDMI cables OR the OneConnect and it was my PS4 Pro

Also to note, I dunno if this happened to anyone else but for me it only happened with games that show in 4K or is Pro enhanced. DBZ Fighters did this to me too before I realized it was Pro Enhanced

This solved it for me as well. New HDMI cables did not. Probably just a bug with the auto resolution option.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
This might be a niche problem that may only apply to people with both a PS4 Pro and 4K TV (and I'm unsure if the problem is more common with certain types of TVs), but nevertheless this is an issue that has plagued me for over a year now and persists even minutes before typing this.

In layman terms, this is when you suddenly lose the video signal between your console and TV: the system is still running, you might still be getting audio, but the picture itself is lost. The only way I've been able to fix this is randomly trying the following:
I had that issue with my Sony until I switched out a new HDMI cable. Some cables don't support 4k properly.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Cables can definitely cause issues, as can your receiver. For instance, my old Pioneer receiver was great, then randomly would start blinking my picture. Black screen, then picture, then black screen, etc. New Denon has no issue.

Then more recently, my Apple TV would give only a black screen when choosing 4K/60 4:4:4. I had Amazon high speed cables. Replaced with monoprice certified cables and it's now perfect.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Well, it might have to do with the cables that is broken. If replacing cables doesn't fix this, I don't know how to help you any more.
It might be your graphic card, or your TV's configuration.

But just to be safe, no offense but Nintendo Switch popularity is rising a lot, while PS4 is reaching the end of its life. I'm not forcing you to buy Nintendo Switch, but personally I'd suggest buying one.
bruh

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
These symptoms suggest a cable bandwidth problem, not handshake. If you're running Pro in 4K/60 RGB you need a cable with full 18Gbps throughput. Any sort of HDMI switch, dongle, or extension that may be connected needs to be up to snuff as well. It's possible the pack in cable barely passes muster.
What are some more higher quality hdmi cables?

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro does this with my Vizio 4K TV. About once an hour or two it will go black, lose picture and then come back on again. Other times the screen will just go grey and I have to power the system down. Now I do have a PSVR hooked up and I know there is no HDR pass through on my model, but 4K should work fine right when PSVR is hooked up and I'm playing non-VR games/watching movies? Is it really as simple as changing HDMI cables because I'm using the ones that came with the PS4 Pro. The base model PS4 is great, but PS4 Pro is kind of underwhelming given the handshake issues that are a constant annoyance.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Do pcs do this too ? My new pc at work randomly goes black too then comes back .

Also I had problems with the input switch on my Harmon kardon amp previously too . Sounds like you have some good suggestions in here but just putting that out there

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've just recently been noticing this, but it only happens when I turn my PS4 Pro on at first and then come back to it later after maybe 30 mins? If I start using it immediately, I don't seem to have this issue?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a cable issue. Tho some changing to better cables has fixed it for them for many others it has not. This has been an issue since the Pro came out as well as with other devices such as a PC. There's been extensive discussions about it the past couple years all over the place.

The issue seems to be with 4K RGB and how certain TVs handshake with devices over it. The only solution currently that has a rather high success rate of fixing it for people is to change to YUV/YCbCr 420. This is an compressed version of the picture but looks the same to the naked eye. Text is mainly what you'll notice the change in. The common belief is certain TVs and devices aren't handling the large amount of data that 4K RGB sends well, causing interruptions and handshaking issues. Reason why YUV420 works is because it's less data.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's been said, but any handshake/noise issues are very likely that be that your HDMI cable can't handle the bandwidth needed for 4k YUV422 / rgb due to poor quality or interference. YUV420 has lower resolution chroma, so needs less bandwidth.

RGB = 8bit full res 3840x2160, sometimes called 444
YUV422 = 10bit or 12bit with half bandwidth (1920x2160) chroma (full res luminance)
YUV420 = same as 422 but quarter bandwidth (1080p) chroma

Rgb/yuv422 are comparable bandwidth. Yuv420 is much lower.
Ps4 in automatic mode will favor YUV422 over RGB in HDR mode due to the higher bit death being desirable.

It sounds dumb, but I've found it's actually very common that even high end HDMI cables just can't handle full bandwidth, I have a bunch of 6ft cables and only half work (the cable that came with my ps4pro is good, x1s's cable is not). This is especially true if the cables are long (over 10ft). In fact, at our work we couldn't find a single 20+ft cable brand that could manage 422 4k, we had to use an expensive signal boosting system.

You can also put your AV gear under quite a bit of stress if you use very long cables. We had one AVReciever's video out chip nuke itself for this reason.

I have no idea how much of a mess HDMI 2.1 will be, as that doubles bandwidth again afaik.

Last edited:

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a niche problem that may only apply to people with both a PS4 Pro and 4K TV (and I'm unsure if the problem is more common with certain types of TVs), but nevertheless this is an issue that has plagued me for over a year now and persists even minutes before typing this.

In layman terms, this is when you suddenly lose the video signal between your console and TV: the system is still running, you might still be getting audio, but the picture itself is lost. The only way I've been able to fix this is randomly trying the following:

1. Unplug and replug the HDMI cable

2. Turn the TV on and off

3. Switch between the other inputs on your TV

Eventually you should get the picture back, but it's incredibly annoying how often I have to do this. It seems to happen the most frequently whenever I'm resuming my PS4 from rest mode, which makes me not want to use that feature.

It was suggested that this problem may happen less frequently if I plug my PS4 to my Home Theater instead of directly to the TV, but that hasn't helped things at all. It's super annoying, and to my knowledge this has not been addressed in any firmware updates (I'm not sure which is more at fault, the PS4 or the TV. Maybe both).

My TV is an LG OLED 2016 E6 series by the way. If by chance there's a solution I'm not aware of, please let me know.
My original PS4 did this SO MUCH when I still had it. I've never had that issue with any other console and it was infuriating.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have this issue with my Pro (as doesn't it come supplied with a cable that met the required spec?) but I did have this issue using an older 4k cable with my Apple TV which didn't have enough bandwidth to support HDR.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW i had the same problem, and in a last ditch effort i bought some fancy ass HDMI cable off amazon which i figured was just burning money but i was desperate. lo and behold it was never a problem again. and yeah i went through like 5 regular 2.0 HDMI cables beforehand

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Same problem until even unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable didn't help. Turns out the motherboard was damaged and I had to send my console in for repair :(

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I had this exact problem with a Sony TV. Fixed by buying a high speed HDMI cable. I guess I had been using HDMI 1.4 cables and when games were in 4K or HDR it would do this. Once I bought a cable the was HDCP 2.2 compliant this stopped.

Just ugraded today to a HDCP 2.2 cable and still haven't see this issue yet. Thanks for the heads up!!

Nov 1, 2017
I've had this issue with my PS4 Pro on a couple TVs. It happens about once a week on my bedroom TV for about five-year seconds (no visuals, audio still plays), until it corrects itself and works fine.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Still have to turn my TV off/on to get the Pro to work sometimes. Different cables/inputs/TV's does not help so I've made my peace with it, fortunately the fix while inconvenient is quite manageable.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is this the issue im having when my ps4 switches to HDR content? I have a sony 55 inch 4k HDR tv, and anytime HDR content gets switched on the screen goes black for a second then switches to HDR. but it only happens after switching from like the youtube app back to the game thats in HDR

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same issues for my first month owning my PS4 Pro. You have to use HDMI premium certified cables. Monoprice has them. It fixed all of my handshake issues completely. Before 4k, it didn't really matter what HDMI cable you bought but now it's very relevant with 4K. These premium certified cables are guaranteed to support everything.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I have the same issue with my pro on the Samsung KU8000. So are y'all saying the hdmi cable that came with the pro might be the cause of this?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The cables for HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 are supposed to be exactly the same, what changed between 1.4 and 2.0 was how the data is pushed through them (software) to support higher bandwidth. Thats the theory anyways, I think the older cables are a bit shittier sometimes so swapping newer cables in works for some people.

I still have this problem on my 7000 PS4 Pro occasionally, like maybe 3-4x a week and I've tried a TON of different cables. It happens a lot more when my PSVR (2.0) is hooked up inline, if I disconnect it from the chain it happens a lot less. I also have an xbox one X and it almost never happens with that, and I've swapped cables around so each system is using the same ones. I just wonder if its some weird signaling thing between PS4 and TVs.

Keep in mind when HDR is turned on the PS4 Pro (or X) can't do RGB 4k with HDR, they MUST switch to YUV 420. I suspect one of the issues is when HDR is on it switches to YUV 420 but then occasionally some handshaking must occur to try and renegotiate RGB mode which screws it up, which is why if you set it to YUV 420 all the time then it works since no resync is occuring. Not sure if its a TV HDMI sync problem or a console problem, my feeling its the PS4 since like I said I never see it on my Xbox (or Nvidia PC attached port).

I set my PS4 Pro to YUV 420 as well recently and zero reoccurences, since pretty much every game now I play has HDR enabled so its not a big deal being in YUV 420 all the time, for me at least.