• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
The happened to me last night, I was in the middle of an online match in battlefront 2 and the screen went black for around 5-10 seconds, I will try switching the cable first and if that does not work I will switch to 2160p YUV420 and hope that that fixes it.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is HDCP itself. I came from vacation last week and no matter what I've done I couldn't get the image on my TV. But strangely 1080p was working fine, the only problem was the 4K. I just disabled the HDCP and voila. It worked like a charm.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah im pretty sure its HDCP. Havent had a problem since Ive disabled it. LG E6 as well

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is HDCP itself. I came from vacation last week and no matter what I've done I couldn't get the image on my TV. But strangely 1080p was working fine, the only problem was the 4K. I just disabled the HDCP and voila. It worked like a charm.

This is correct. I have an Emotiva XMC1 which I adore, but my ritual is turning off HDCP before powering off.

You do need it for video apps. But that will resolve the handshakes.

99% of the time when people buy a "better" HDMI cable they are fooling themselves because they are cold booting the handshake which could have easily been done with a full power off and 10 seconds fully unplugged.

I have a very nice system and BJC or MonoPrice is all you need.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Power them both off, remove plugs from wall. Disconnect all HDMI, re-connect and turn back on.

HDMI handshakes "remember" what they are connected to. This is why people think that a new cable fixes things.

Will give it a shot. Thank you!

Been using the same TV and HDMI cable for months but only got this problem today.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This issue hasn't occurred again ever since i moved my setup downstairs into the basement. So yeah, try unplugging the power source of both your tv and ps4 and see if that fixes it.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I have a similar setup (PS4 Pro and LG C7) and I've never had this issue... but I have had a problem of my Pro suddenly turning back on from Rest Mode a minute after I turn everything off. And it turns my TV back on too. No idea what's causing this.

Oct 27, 2017
A bit more details about my issue.
I am now replaying FF VII on Ps4 and this issue started again after years (it happened two years ago and randomly it seemed to fix itself until now). It's mostly just audio for me, but it's definitely an handshake issue because switching source, switching from Ps4 to TV and then back to Ps4 fixes it, but it's annoying to do this everytime.

Problem is, i tried lots of hdmi cables, also bought a new one last week, more than 18Gbps bandwidth, HDCP compatible, hdmi 2.0b, everything up to standards and it solved nothing.

It's weird because it only does this with some games and during a certain time of day. These audio issues never happen while using apps like Twitch on Ps4. Until few weeks ago i played DQ XI for more than hundred hours and it never happened.

When i play during afternoon there are no audio issues, while playing FF VII during the evening i can hear audio skipping for a second every 10-15 minutes and i'm forced to switch source to fix it. Also, i have noticed that changing video settings in Ps4 fixes it even without switching source. It's definitely an handshake issue considering that sometimes it also happens that i see a black screen when i turn on the Ps4, i have to turn the TV off and then on to fix it. Also, flickerings here and there. Those are nowhere as frequent as the audio issues though. It's the audio skipping every few minutes that it's really frustrating.

I have the fat base Ps4 and a Samsung tv.

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I've have this issue too on my LG, it started getting really bad in FFVII, Old Man's Journey, Yakuza 6, and GT Sport. Turning off HDCP solved the flickering problem for me.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna shamelessly bump this thread as a new PS4 Slim owner who is having this issue. Interestingly enough, when borrowing a friend's PS4 Slim the year before, it happened with theirs as well. However, I'm pretty sure it's not something that has happened to them when playing on their own TV + PS4 Slim setup. So it's seeming like there's some mass combination of TV, PS4 (Settings), and HDMI cables that can cause this problem.

I've since tried; the HDMI cable that literally came packaged with the PS4 (still happened), and 2 other HDMI cords in which it still happened with 1, and the other had the screen tripping out for a little bit (slight reddish fade to the screen, and audio almost cutting out). I've disabled HDCP, Deep Color Output, changed RGB Range to limited, and switched the resolution to a fixed 1080p instead of automatic, but I'm still getting some sort of video/audio issues some 30+ minutes or so into each session I play the PS4.

What bewilders me so much is that this is not an issue whatsoever with my Switch. I literally took the same HDMI cord that was connected to my Switch and used it for my PS4 when I first got it, and this 'handshaking' started happening. I'm assuming there's some specific set of settings I need to be switching my PS4 to that matches up with my TV's natural resolution to actually stop the issue for good??

I haven't finished reading through this whole thread, so I might find something that actually helps me stop this annoying shit from happening, but I thought I'd log this in as yet another individual with the problem, lol.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Had similar problems with pro and samsung tv. It sort of went away when I plugged in my ps4 in the first hdmi input, the one with hdr support.

But I actually want that one for my xbox one x.

I'm really not that satisfied with my ps4 pro.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shit's happening more frequently after a recent firmware update. I went from getting drop outs about once a month to several times a week now. It usually occurs a few minutes after waking from sleep or powering on. Swapping HDMI cables and disabling HDCP doesn't seem to help at all.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
PS4 Pro and 4K Sony bravia, never had this issue I'm actually surprised by the amount of people here having this problem

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Pro is the only device in my setup that constantly has handshake issues with my LG TV and also with my Sony ZTF9 Soundbar, the latter being pretty hillarious and sad. No issues with any other console or other device whatsoever. I have the exact same picture issues as OP, but not just that.

I had to turn off all the HDMI CEC features and so on, although they'd be pretty handy if they worked. But they were causing more headache than QoL. The PS4 would sometimes randomly turn on when I turned on the TV or just the soundbar. I love those features on my Switch and they just work.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
This happens every time I use my PS4 pro. I have a Samsung 4K tv. Randomly during my play through the tv will go black for 30 seconds and then return to normal. Incredibly annoying, especially if it's during an intense boss battle.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I been getting some handshaking problems I think with my XBox lately...every once in a while,just the video's wont play,well I can hear it but the screen is green...Mixer,Netflix,Community and Era video's...games work fine...when I reboot,I have a full screen of static instead of the flash/splash screen and picture comes back to normal after the lenght of the splash screen...freaks me out each time...

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I started getting a similar problem but i was using a HDMI switch- i needed to buy a powered HDMI switch since at some point PS4 started requiring that to work

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Power them both off, remove plugs from wall. Disconnect all HDMI, re-connect and turn back on.

HDMI handshakes "remember" what they are connected to. This is why people think that a new cable fixes things.

After reading through the whole thread, this was the only post I saw suggesting this as a solution. SO, I gave it a shot last night. I turned off my PS4 Slim, turned off the TV, unplugged the PS4 and TV from their outlets, and unplugged the HDMI from the TV/PS4.
After plugging everything back in and turning on the console, I played some Spyro Reignited Trilogy for a little over an hour. It never happened.
Typically whenever the screen blackouts strike, for me, it's usually within the first 20-30 minutes to an hour of play. So this suggestion definitely seems like it might be a solution for me, as nothing else I've tried helped.

I also decided I wanted to try testing to see if simply powering down my PS4 instead of using rest mode could be another solution. As I feel like, when I turned it off fully the one time I did since getting it, there was no screen blackout. As of me typing this, I am now almost an hour into playing, and it hasn't happened yet. This could be a matter of rest mode simply not working properly with my TV setup. I can deal with that for the most part, but charging my controller will be a bit annoying now, lol.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
These symptoms suggest a cable bandwidth problem, not handshake. If you're running Pro in 4K/60 RGB you need a cable with full 18Gbps throughput. Any sort of HDMI switch, dongle, or extension that may be connected needs to be up to snuff as well. It's possible the pack in cable barely passes muster.
Yep this is the problem. I had similar issues with both my Apple TV 4K and Xbox One X to get 4K60 with HDR. Went through 3 different "high quality" cables before I found one that was stable. The length of the cable can be problematic as well, I had that problem even with 1080p on a 10m cable, had to get an HDMI extender that boosted the signal.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Mine loses video signal at boot-up but then comes back on after a few seconds of idling there. It's probably an output issue over a cable issue

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not quite having this issue but wasn't sure where else to turn. I have a Toshiba Fire TV, specifically the 55LF621U19 model, and a PS4 Pro.

My problem is that I can't turn on my PS4 unless the TV is also on, and shutting off the TV will instantly shut off the PlayStation, so I can't use rest mode. I have HDMI-CEC disabled on the tv and the PS4 both. And the PS4 is connected to the tv through an audio receiver, but it's the only device that does this. How can I make it so the PS4's power stage is no longer tied to the TV?

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping this once again, since even though the aforementioned solution SEEMED to work, the problem came right back after using the Twitch app. Since then, unplugging everything just doesn't work anymore, so I'm continuing to deal with this very obnoxious problem.

The only positive side is that it only happens once after turning the PS4 on, so it's not something that's super hindering (just incredibly annoying).
At this point, I don't see this issue ever going away until I get a PC in the future, where I can just use a monitor instead of the tv my PS4 absolutely refuses to work with.

Can't believe the console has gone almost 6 years with this issue, and nothing has been done about it.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a 4K TV and now I'm having this problem with my Pro. It happens once within the first 10 minutes of turning it on, then it's fine the rest of the play session after that. Lots of good info in here. Gonna start off by disabling HDCP. I do have a PSVR hooked up as well so I wonder if that's causing problems in the chain. I'd rather not unhook it if I don't have to.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
This has happened about 3 times for me, I don't remember it happening before.
I have my PS4 Pro connected to an AVR, which is connected to my 4K TV.

I don't think it's game specific but the last 2-3 times it happened was when I was playing Spider-Man.
After around 20 minutes the screen goes black ( audio still working) then it switches back to HDR mode automatically.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep I get this, my TV is a Sony kd55xd8005 with a ps4 Pro.
It just flashes for a second once every couple of hours. I've got used it to be honest, but it's annoying

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Happened again and always with Spider- Man. I've played other games and they are fine.

So I might ask, has anyone else had this issue with a specific game?

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if this is what I've been experiencing with my Samsung NU800 tv, the PS4 Pro and "Game Mode". Without fail (during the start of a game) the tv will switch on/off Game Mode, and sometimes it'll do the same thing again. I don't think this ever happens with my Nintendo Switch which is connected to the same tv.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Yep I get this, my TV is a Sony kd55xd8005 with a ps4 Pro.
It just flashes for a second once every couple of hours. I've got used it to be honest, but it's annoying
I have a Sony 49 inch from let's say 5 or so years ago. I had the same problem with the PS4 Pro. I used another HDMI cable I had laying around, and never had the problem again. If the HDMI cable was the problem is hard to say, maybe that just triggered a cold booting like someone else in this thread mentioned, but for me it worked.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had this with my Sony TV, and what solved it was changing the PS4 color space setting from RGB to YUV. Completely fixed it (and there's no discernable difference in image quality).

However, after a TV update (I think) I can now use RGB without it happening. I still sometimes get a signal info overlay on the TV, as if the signal has changed or handshake has happened again, but the image stays.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My PS4 does this but other consoles and pc almost never do... it's not the cable, I move stuff around all the time.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes get this as well. The picture always comes back after 2-3 seconds but it's still weird.
Also, what's up with the account graveyard on the first page?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have a Sony 49 inch from let's say 5 or so years ago. I had the same problem with the PS4 Pro. I used another HDMI cable I had laying around, and never had the problem again. If the HDMI cable was the problem is hard to say, maybe that just triggered a cold booting like someone else in this thread mentioned, but for me it worked.
Thanks, I've actually tried the YUV thing a few here mentioned and it hasn't happened since.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
My screen gets a green tint. Either coming off standby or switching out of HDR to SDR. Switching the tv on and off or changing source and going back fixes it. Happens maybe once a week or so so it's not a huge deal. I actually thought it was a fault with my tv rather than the PS4.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Interesting. I have a Pro plugged to a Samsung 4k tv and this never happened to me, not once.
I think I'm using a hdmi cable that didn't come with the Pro, though.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I had this early on, but not with a Pro and not with 4k. Fixed with a different HDMI cable.
Just had it happen this week with a Pro and a Sony 4k TV, after years of having no problems.

Oct 27, 2017
This happens with my Samsung KS8000 when the PS4 PRO is set to RGB, but It never happens when set to YUV420. I tried new HDMI cables and it didn't fix RGB for me.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree with disabling HDCP to fix this.

Hadn't seen this thread since I originally replied to say I had the same issue a while back but haven't had a single occurance since disabling HDCP.