• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This might be a niche problem that may only apply to people with both a PS4 Pro and 4K TV (and I'm unsure if the problem is more common with certain types of TVs), but nevertheless this is an issue that has plagued me for over a year now and persists even minutes before typing this.

In layman terms, this is when you suddenly lose the video signal between your console and TV: the system is still running, you might still be getting audio, but the picture itself is lost. The only way I've been able to fix this is randomly trying the following:

1. Unplug and replug the HDMI cable

2. Turn the TV on and off

3. Switch between the other inputs on your TV

Eventually you should get the picture back, but it's incredibly annoying how often I have to do this. It seems to happen the most frequently whenever I'm resuming my PS4 from rest mode, which makes me not want to use that feature.

It was suggested that this problem may happen less frequently if I plug my PS4 to my Home Theater instead of directly to the TV, but that hasn't helped things at all. It's super annoying, and to my knowledge this has not been addressed in any firmware updates (I'm not sure which is more at fault, the PS4 or the TV. Maybe both).

My TV is an LG OLED 2016 E6 series by the way. If by chance there's a solution I'm not aware of, please let me know.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I had this SAME exact problem with my 55" QLED Samsung. What I personally did that seemed to work for me was go to Settings - Resolution and change it to 2190p YUY420

Once it did this, it stopped. I'm not a visual-phile or anything but my guess is if its left on the default setting (automatic) the TV or PS4 Pro kinda lapses in trying to handshake another when its time to produce the resolution since its looking for the best possible visual setting. I guess if you just manually assign it one to find then it goes straight to it no problem. I had just bought the TV on Valentine's Day and had called Samsung twice thinking it was either the TV or the OneConnect device. After some sleuthing I figured out it wasn't the TV, HDMI cables OR the OneConnect and it was my PS4 Pro

Also to note, I dunno if this happened to anyone else but for me it only happened with games that show in 4K or is Pro enhanced. DBZ Fighters did this to me too before I realized it was Pro Enhanced

Last edited:

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same tv and PS4 Pro for me here and I get the exact same problems.

Happens maybe a couple times each week and is frustrating.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I had the same problem with my Pro but in combination with a 1080p TV. Don't know if it's a more regular thing on 4K sets but my Slim didn't have this issue yet on the same TV, so it most likely was caused by the Pro or the HDMI cable somehow.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youve tried different HDMI cables? Ive had handshake issues before and that fixed it for me.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had this SAME exact problem with my 55" QLED Samsung. What I personally did that seemed to work for me was go to Settings - Resolution and change it to 2190p YUY420

Once it did this, it stopped. I had just bought the TV on Valentine's Day and had called Samsung twice thinking it was either the TV or the OneConnect device. After some sleuthing I figured out it wasn't the TV, HDMI cables OR the OneConnect and it was my PS4 Pro

I'll give this a try and see if it helps, thanks.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I'll give this a try and see if it helps, thanks.

Hope it works for you bro. I was playing shit like Bloodborne and Nioh and those are two games you DEFINTELY don't want to be randomly losing picture/audio on all of a sudden. Trust I was calling Samsung like a mad man and damn near stopped playing them both until I figured out the problem.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same exact issue, and I'm only now realising that its stopped - I wonder how it managed to fix itself, I remember finding it pretty damn annoying.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
^^^
Had it prior to 5.50 update.

I get this on my Pro and my 2009 Sony Bravia 40", sometimes, just briefly the picture drops and sound but it comes back in around 5-10secs. Doesn't happen too often thankfully but still annoying.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Bad cables can cause problems like that, believe it or not. So if you have (or can borrow) another high-quality cable to test with, I'd suggest trying that.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These symptoms suggest a cable bandwidth problem, not handshake. If you're running Pro in 4K/60 RGB you need a cable with full 18Gbps throughput. Any sort of HDMI switch, dongle, or extension that may be connected needs to be up to snuff as well. It's possible the pack in cable barely passes muster.

Deleted member 123

User Warned for off-topic console warring.
Well, it might have to do with the cables that is broken. If replacing cables doesn't fix this, I don't know how to help you any more.
It might be your graphic card, or your TV's configuration.

But just to be safe, no offense but Nintendo Switch popularity is rising a lot, while PS4 is reaching the end of its life. I'm not forcing you to buy Nintendo Switch, but personally I'd suggest buying one.

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
I've had issues like that on a monitor that I have out at my family cabin, i always assumed it was more of and issue of it being an HDMI to dvi cable.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some problem. Had to disable HDCP.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same issue a few times a week, PS4 Pro with a 2016 LG OLED C6. I'm going to try what a few people on here have mentioned and get a different HDMI cable. I'm using the one that came with the Pro. It's extremely annoying.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Well, it might have to do with the cables that is broken. If replacing cables doesn't fix this, I don't know how to help you any more.

But just to be safe, no offense but Nintendo Switch popularity is rising a lot, while PS4 is reaching the end of its life. I'm not forcing you to buy Nintendo Switch, but personally I'd suggest buying one.

What the fuck is this?

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same issue here, though mine will simply black out the picture for a second or two then return. It's only my Pro that does this, every other system hooked up to my 4K works fine. I'll try out some of the fixes here and see what happens but it's fairly random....

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Something that happens with my PS4 Pro and Samsung tv is: if I turn the PS4 on while the TV is on its HDMI input then it's fine but if I turn the PS4 on while on another input and switch to the PS4's input, sometimes there'll be no screen or sound and I have to switch to another input and then back to the PS4 to have a feed. It's weird.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Never had this problem with both a standard PS4 and a Pro. I have a Samsung ks9000.

I did have problems with some HDMI cables I had lying around, even with a PS3 and/or 4k bluray player (deep color is what actually causes issues in this scenario). As long as I used the right cables, then I would have no blackout problems

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
My Xbox One X and Sony XD85 have the same issue. Every week my Xbox fires up in 720P and doesn't recognise 4K or HDR.

Power cycling does nothing. Only way to resolve it is to fiddle with HDMI input settings, that forces a new handshake.

PS4 Pro to Sony TV works fine.

I genuinely can not understand how in 2018 getting signal reliably to TV can be an issue.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this issue as well.

Started a month or so ago whilst playing Shadow of the Colossus, it would drop to a black screen randomnly for about five seconds then return to normal again. It was doing this about every 5 minutes so I turned it off in frustration.

Now what happens is whenever I use my Pro I'll get just the one black screen (after ten minutes, it's always ten minutes) and then that will be it for the rest of the night. It's bizarre, but I can handle one black screen per play session rather than multiple like I was getting before.

I bought an X today so I'll have to see if I have any similar issues with that, hopefully not!

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never had this problem with both a standard PS4 and a Pro. I have a Samsung ks9000.

I did have problems with some HDMI cables I had lying around, even with a PS3 and/or 4k bluray player (deep color is what actually causes issues in this scenario). As long as I used the right cables, then I would have no blackout problems

Interesting. I have the same model of TV so I'll have to look into grabbing some new cables.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Added to my crazy list.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Advertising for a major corporation?

Amazing.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I get this with my Pro but it only happens once per time I turn it on. Man I've had handshaking issues all the way back to PS3 and that was even using a Sony TV.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Definitively, try others cables, it could change everything (by experience with others HDMI problems).
No need to buy super expensive cable (it's useless), you just need some "ok cables" from a reliable brand. The ones Amazon branded are perfectly fine for example.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actual footage of OP's PS4 handshaking issue.
rknmgyvd5bhxvxhfsd1u.gif
Like others have said, try a new HDMI cable and disable HDCP.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously OP, try new HDMI cables if you have not.

I thought I had Hi Speed Gigabit capable HDMI cables at all the required speeds and with everything supported needed, and yet I was still having various issues including but not limited to
  • Handshake issues
  • The audio would drop sometimes
  • My screen would black out for a quick second
  • I was having stutters with 4K video from UHD BluRays
I picked up these exact cables from Amazon and all of my problems went away.

Literally all my issues came down to the fact I thought I had good HDMI cables and I did not. The cables I had prior had all of the same specs as the ones I linked to, yet I had all of those issues. The new cables are about twice the price of the original ones I had, but they have been worth every penny.

FTR I also have an LG OLED set, a 55" B7 to be exact. I also have a PS4 Pro.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, got this since 2 or 3 months ago with my Pro and Bravia 900a. Worked without any problems years and years before (same setup, same cables) but this year the signal sometimes is lost for like 3 seconds and then back, sometimes it workes, sometimes I have this like 3 times in 5 minutes. Thought it was a AV receiver or PS4 Pro defect, but it seems it's a handshake. So shitty while playing Monster Hunter :(

Last edited:

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
Obviously completely unrelated but my TV and gaming PC have started doing the exact same thing in the past 3 months. (I've had the same video card and TV since '14). Maybe something to do with new HDCP stuff? (I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I tried new "premium" HDMI cables and they were worse than the cable that came with the pro.

Premium cable = multiple drops to black screen per session.
Cable that came with the pro = just one drop to black screen per session.

I'm truly stumped, but I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it.

MacReady13

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro was perfectly fine and never had this handshake issue. Then I purchased (about a month ago) a Version 2 PSVR and since then, I get the constant blackouts randomly for about 2-3 seconds. I turn my LG 4k TV off then on again and it seems to fix it for the rest of the day. I've disabled HDCP and it has done nothing. I'm only using the HDMI cables inside the PS4 Pro and PSVR box... surely those HDMI cables should be perfectly fine!

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That has to be annoying, handshake issues suck. I have a PS4 pro and a Sony OLED and don't have any handshake issues luckily.

I have a second PS4 that I bring with me for traveling, I've had handshake issues multiple times on LG TVs at hotels but they're just standard 1080p LED TVs. I recently switched that out for a slim and haven't had an issue yet.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I had the same problem with my PS4 Slim and my Sony TV(1080p), changing HDMI cables didn't fix it. I can't remember how i fixed it, was something with a bad update and changing something in the settings if i remember correctly. Sorry wish i could remember what i did, because he problem is annoying as fuck.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had many issues with newer Samsung TVs handshaking well with devices recently. Might be a software thing.