• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Advocating manipulation and reckless endangerment of the homeless
Anyone ever tried this? Do you think the is an effective route to teaching private landlords what their business causes? I am thinking about doing it myself to see what happens. I see homeless people hiding away in shithole tunnels and under bridges when there are nice and safe streets they can sleep on.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like thinking of and using the homeless as a tool for your own devices.

If you organize a protest, I don't think you need to use them to do it.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, with all the empty office space in my capital city (Dublin, we've been in level 5 lockdown since god knows when) and hotels etc... it's disgusting than there is even a single soul on the streets.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The only outcome I'd imagine is that they'd call the police and still see homeless people as pests.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a really bad idea. I don't recommend using someone else to make your statement; the repercussions would come down on them. If you want to help, volunteer or donate.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like thinking of and using the homeless as a tool for your own devices.

If you organize a protest, I don't think you need to use them to do it.

How is it a tool for my own devices? Private landlords are the enemy of the homeless.

This is the issue with this. Friendly protest so everyone can just ignore it? Fuck that. There is no difference between sleeping on the streets away from people and sleeping on the streets infront of a landlord.

Oct 27, 2017
A private landlord causes homeless people to sleep in tunnels and under bridges instead of sleeping on the streets? What? The only thing you'll accomplish with this is to have the landlord call the police on those homeless people for sleeping outside his house.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever tried this? Do you think the is an effective route to teaching private landlords what their business causes? I am thinking about doing it myself to see what happens. I see homeless people hiding away in shithole tunnels and under bridges when there are nice and safe streets they can sleep on.

Why do you think they are in tunnels and under bridges?

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know where you live, but aren't you possibly making them a target for retaliation? I wonder what your angle is exactly..

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
A private landlord causes homeless people to sleep in tunnels and under bridges instead of sleeping on the streets? What? The only thing you'll accomplish with this is to have the landlord call the police on those homeless people for sleeping outside his house.

Correct, they do. The private sector bought all the council houses in the UK. They then discriminate people on housing benefits and such and push them onto the street.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't living in those areas by choice. They don't need you to "reveal" to them that they can be homeless in different areas.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Have you actually tried this? What was the response. I suspect longer term homeless people have a much clearer idea of where is 'safe' than you do.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm sure their life is stressful enough without some random person bothering them for some sort of "protest"

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it will do the exact opposite.

Why? Why do you just accept this? Why is it okay to push them into unsafe spaces but not to the people who are oppressing them?

Have you actually tried this? What was the response. I suspect longer term homeless people have a much clearer idea of where is 'safe' than you do.

I speak to many homeless people. They are often very defeated people with no idea what to do or how to fix their issues. I try to contact the local authority but they don't want to know or care.

A lot of defeatism in here.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Why? Why do you just accept this? Why is it okay to push them into unsafe spaces but not to the people who are oppressing them?

It's not acceptance, it's reality. It's not going to teach any lesson. LoL. It will just cause more resentment of homeless people. Just please, don't do this.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Cow, you aren't the hero you think you are. Don't put people at further risk to make a point. This is reckless behavior.

Go to council meetings and raise your concerns. Give homeless folks information about shelters and alternatives to living on the street. Don't encourage them into behaviors that make them your own political props.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All you're going to get from that will be the cops removing them.

How big is this landlord? Are we talking a dozen places or a hundred? How bad are their rates? Why do you think they would care at all?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's very common on Era for an OP to ask whether they're doing the right thing and then instead of listening to feedback they literally argue against the overwhelming consensus in the thread. Don't make it a question if you're already convinced you're right. Instead make it a "I'm doing xyz and here is why."

I speak to many homeless people. They are often very defeated people with no idea what to do or how to fix their issues. I try to contact the local authority but they don't want to know or care.

A lot of defeatism in here.
Is it defeatism to point out that it's kind of fucked up to try and rally a group of homeless people to potentially put themselves in harm's way to make a political point?

Like I said earlier that landlord is very likely going to call the police once this happens and police do not have a reputation of treating the homeless humanely.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
It's not acceptance, it's reality. It's not going to teach any lesson. LoL. It will just cause more resentment of homeless people. Just please, don't do this.

Have you ever spoken to a homeless person? They are pushed along all the fucking time. Local authorities pushing them along because they do not give one single fuck. Putting up posters around cities to not give any money to homeless people because they are all drug addicts. That then pushes them along.

Homeless people need to stand their ground and not have people like you constantly come in with this attitude that things will get better. I speak to homeless people all the time. I have been borderline homeless before. I hate homeless people getting ignored. There is no lower than what people think of homeless people now. They are in the streets freezing and people just walk past them and ignore them. Local authorities do absolutely nothing.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): inflammatory commentary
Love the idea, don't let the libs in here convince you efforts to make the rich see the consequences of their lifestye is pointless.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
All you're going to get from that will be the cops removing them

Does this not show you there is an issue? That they can be pushed away to shithole areas because the privileged don't want them. I have almost been in their position before and can be again. More has to be done because not one single fuck is given for homeless people.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You ok with them getting their shit stolen by cops and thrown out as a casualty, or arrested? Do you have a relationship with these people? They find places where they aren't fucked with as often for a reason. Doesn't seem like this is even about helping them, just a stunt where the homeless are props.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Be an advocate for the homeless and give them the voice that they're denied. Good allyship is amplifying their voices rather than speaking for them. You could stage a similar protest but without homeless people bearing the responsibility for it.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
How is it a tool for my own devices? Private landlords are the enemy of the homeless.

This is the issue with this. Friendly protest so everyone can just ignore it? Fuck that. There is no difference between sleeping on the streets away from people and sleeping on the streets infront of a landlord.

You are not thinking of them as individuals who have their own minds and interests, but as a tool to wield against who you consider your enemy. You are justifying it to yourself by asserting it is a common enemy.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is a bad idea (ineffective at best, dangerous at worst), and I don't know why you made this thread if you're just gonna tell everyone why they're wrong and you're right

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Have you ever spoken to a homeless person? They are pushed along all the fucking time. Local authorities pushing them along because they do not give one single fuck. Putting up posters around cities to not give any money to homeless people because they are all drug addicts. That then pushes them along.

Homeless people need to stand their ground and not have people like you constantly come in with this attitude that things will get better. I speak to homeless people all the time. I have been borderline homeless before. I hate homeless people getting ignored. There is no lower than what people think of homeless people now. They are in the streets freezing and people just walk past them and ignore them. Local authorities do absolutely nothing.

Hey I'm just saying what I think is the most likely outcome since you posed the question. But clearly your mind is made up. Godspeed!

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't weaponize homeless people for fuck sakes. Why don't you sleep on the landlord's land. If you want to fight the good fight then do it yourself without hurting the homeless anymore than they already are.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Cow, you aren't the hero you think you are. Don't put people at further risk to make a point. This is reckless behavior.

Go to council meetings and raise your concerns. Give homeless folks information about shelters and alternatives to living on the street. Don't encourage them into behaviors that make them your own political props.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
You ok with them getting their shit stolen by cops and thrown out as a casualty, or arrested? Do you have a relationship with these people? They find places where they aren't fucked with as often for a reason. Doesn't seem like this is even about helping them, just a stunt where the homeless are props.

This is such shocking behaviour from you. You know what happens when the police start doing shite? You fight back. You bring attention to it.

You are literally getting at me for asking homeless people living on the streets to relocate to a different area on the streets. You are letting privileged people decide where they can and cannot go. You want a friendly protest so it can be ignored.

Homeless people already have nothing. They are beaten on the streets by passers by. They are defeated people and need fire put in them. They have to know it is better for them and the people that are causing these issues for them.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Love the idea, don't let the libs in here convince you efforts to make the rich see the consequences of their lifestye is pointless.
I mean, I think what's proposed is way too tame for what would be effective (or actually deserved), but that doesn't mean that this sounds like a well-thought-out plan or something that empowers homeless people.

Oct 27, 2017
Does this not show you there is an issue? That they can be pushed away to shithole areas because the privileged don't want them. I have almost been in their position before and can be again. More has to be done because not one single fuck is given for homeless people.

Everyone knows there's an issue. But this course of action won't lead to anything but having the cops called on them, making their hard lives even worse. If you want to improve the conditions for the homeless, there are better ways to go about it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to solve anything by convincing some homeless people to put themselves at risk to prove a point. If you were to do this it's not like this landlord is going to have a his heart stolen Persona 5 style and upend everything. All that would happen is that they would be mildly annoyed, which if anything would more likely lead to them being more aggressive with their policies, not less.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No. Sleep outside of it yourself. Don't try and abuse the abused for your fantasy scenarios

Also, if you're having to "convince" them, that means you're likely putting them in a position they have to decide against their preference. Leave them alone.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Don't weaponize homeless people for fuck sakes. Why don't you sleep on the landlord's land. If you want to fight the good fight then do it yourself without hurting the homeless anymore than they already are.

Read the OP.

And I am not asking to sleep on the land of the landlord. I am asking to sleep on the streets of the landlord. That is where homeless people should be sleeping instead of being pushed into the fucking tunnels and under bridges. You are allowing people to do that to homeless people with this thought process. Homeless people should be able to sleep where the fuck they want whenever they want. They should not be afraid of the police because some privileged people decided they should live under bridges instead.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Homeless people are going to be getting beat by police as OP sleeps in his comfy bed dreaming about how awesome his plan is.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Homeless people are going to be getting beat by police as OP sleeps in his comfy bed dreaming about how awesome his plan is.

I suggest you read the OP. You know nothing of me either.

Homeless people get beaten all the damn time anyway. You act like that will happen because of this. Guess what? it is happening to homeless people right now.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This is such shocking behaviour from you. You know what happens when the police start doing shite? You fight back. You bring attention to it.

You are literally getting at me for asking homeless people living on the streets to relocate to a different area on the streets. You are letting privileged people decide where they can and cannot go. You want a friendly protest so it can be ignored.

Homeless people already have nothing. They are beaten on the streets by passers by. They are defeated people and need fire put in them. They have to know it is better for them and the people that are causing these issues for them.
lol you don't know me, your idea is terrible and will hurt the people you say you want to help. like another poster said, go do it yourself and leave them out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.