• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Dead Space 1 is a Horror masterpiece.

Subtle suspense paired with pure sense of dread, great combat and a thrilling narrative in a wonderfully realized setting. Survival horror doesn't get any better than this. I played this like 10 years ago and the game is still in my head.

I also played Alien Isolation on release and have Soma waiting on my PS4, but these are completely different type of games. There is nothing that seems to replace Dead Space.

I would really like to see a Dead Space Trilogy Remaster at some point. Is there anything preventing EA from doing that?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing preventing EA is stubbornness and/or an inability to monetize the remaster with lots of MTX and other bullshit.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
EA only care anout bleeding their customers dry with 'live service' games now.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 1 and 2 are gems, while 3 has some REALLY strong parts to it that then get dragged down by the rest of...what it is. I too have been looking for sci-fi horror games that aren't janky nightmare messes or first-person-jumpsare-fests. Routine was looking great but that's dead now. I'm looking at Moons of Madness, but that doesn't have the same feeling. I'd recommend Prey but it feels more like Bioshock than Dead Space to me.

For a remaster, I believe we'll get it next year but they need to find a way to un-bullshit the MTX garbage they shoved into 3. I'd actually like to play it co-op with a friend, so I'm curious to see if they'd do anything to keep that alive.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's not monetisable then I doubt EA are going to that many resources behind the remaster. But they did say they might remaster a few games but I'm certainly not gonna hold my breathe.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Buy Fallen Order and C&C remaster to send a message to EA that we care about single player game and remaster.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
have Soma waiting on my PS4

I adore dead space, but play this, OP. It is not a shooter, but it really is a masterpiece. It definitely has horror elements, but it is much more than that. The greatest scifi story that this medium has ever produced IMO.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Buy Fallen Order and C&C remaster to send a message to EA that we care about single player game and remaster.
This. I know people are like lol I'll wait for Jedi fallen order. But EA and their investors read you waiting on your purchase as lol they won't pay for pure single player experiences. Let's make a living game!

so buy it full price!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah agreed. Sci-fi horror is underrepresented nowadays.

What do we have?
Alien Isolation and.... Prey maybe? Both great games, but i want more out of this genre, waaaay more...

P.S.: Dead Space Extraction was a really cool spin off for the Wii. Best lightgunshooter on the system.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I don't think that's how it works.

Whilst I was never a huge fan of Dead Space, the idea of a sci-fi horror video game is so interesting and could have so many possibilites that it is wild that the market isn't drowning in them.

True, there's Alien Isolation and Soma (to a degree) But where's the "here's a gigantic starship that went missing 50 years ago, we're a small team going on board to steal as much stuff as...oh shit a cosmic horror and now my eyes are on my hands!" game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space was so great. They totally ruined it with the third game imo.

This gen we have Soma, Prey, Alien Isolation I guess? Still a real good three...

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, I recently replayed Dead Space for Halloween on PS3 and for an over 10 years old game it hasn't aged a day. The sound design is sublime.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Dead Space 1 and 2 are greats games, even tho I played 3 I don't remember a thing about it.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The original Dead Space is a goddamn masterpiece! There's no way we don't see a new game in that franchise next gen. Come on EA!

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
You really should try Prey if you haven't. Both Prey and Dead Space have the same DNA (System Shock).

Actually if you've never played System Shock then you should at least play System Shock 2.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing that seems to replace Dead Space.
the-persistence-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-23jul18

It's VR only, but that just adds to the experience imo.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, EA are a buncha short-sighted shits who will leave an excellent horror series like Dead Space with tons of potential in the trash can because they can't monetize every drop of blood out of it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Dead Space 1 PC version a decent port? I want to buy it off Steam but I feel like I heard it's bad.

The only thing that was "bad" was the mouse controls, if you were wanting to use a mouse with it. I played it the first time on the 360 (I actually bought it after renting and finishing it once), so when I later got it for PC, I just used the controller again. Playing with a controller is absolutely fine, and considering you can play it at 4K/60 easily, there's not a real reason to not get them on PC.

Dead Space was so great. They totally ruined it with the third game imo.

This gen we have Soma, Prey, Alien Isolation I guess? Still a real good three...

Prey is the closest analog. Alien Isolation and Soma might have good atmosphere, but I couldn't stand actually playing them. The first two Dead Space games are more like the actual Alien and Aliens of video games (with a bit of Event Horizon), while these latter two games were more like silent films.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Is the Dead Space 1 PC version a decent port? I want to buy it off Steam but I feel like I heard it's bad.

Just don't use the in-game vsync, it caps the frame rate at half of your monitor's refresh rate. Force it via your graphics card control panel if you don't like tearing. The same goes for DS2.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 1 and 2 are gems, while 3 has some REALLY strong parts to it that then get dragged down by the rest of...what it is. I too have been looking for sci-fi horror games that aren't janky nightmare messes or first-person-jumpsare-fests. Routine was looking great but that's dead now. I'm looking at Moons of Madness, but that doesn't have the same feeling. I'd recommend Prey but it feels more like Bioshock than Dead Space to me.

For a remaster, I believe we'll get it next year but they need to find a way to un-bullshit the MTX garbage they shoved into 3. I'd actually like to play it co-op with a friend, so I'm curious to see if they'd do anything to keep that alive.

The MTX in 3 are pointless. As long as you collect as you play, just like DS1+2, the MTXs have no use.

Since you need schematics to spend resources, by time you advance in the game to where new ones are you already have enough resources. Only reason to buy any is if you don't want to search for resources ever.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, EA are a buncha short-sighted shits who will leave an excellent horror series like Dead Space with tons of potential in the trash can because they can't monetize every drop of blood out of it.
They sure tried to, though...

I really miss Dead Space, and I think even a lot of Dead Space FANS missed out on a lot of Dead Space-related content back in the day because EA tried to flood the market with comics, movies, and spin-offs.

Like, the Dead Space iOS game is FANTASTIC! Original story, original characters, legit great graphics and scares and trippy hallucinations. How many Dead Space fans got a chance to play it?
deadspaceios610.jpg

Dead Space Extraction was overlooked by so many fans for being on the Wii and being on-rails. A late port to PS3 didn't really bolster it, but it's incredible and it planted so many extra seeds the franchise could've followed up with.
519492-dead-space-extraction-playstation-3-screenshot-the-doctor.jpg

The comics were supremely disturbing, especially the ones with art by the incredible horror artist Ben Templesmith.
5850806.jpg

The DVD movies are inconsistent but I consider still mostly positive, if only to flesh out a few background characters from the games. Anyone check them out? The first one "Downfall" holds up pretty well, all things considered, while "Aftermath" is far more inconsistent because it uses multiple animation styles (though some of them work better than others). They're highly disturbing and very visceral, at the very least.
hcrED3.gif

You want more info on the background history of the series - the history of stuff like the Markers and Unitology? The books have you covered.
51YLuF8QFqL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hell, I'm willing to be most people don't even know that there's an official Dead Space 1 tie-in interactive ARGN website called "No Known Survivors" that told the story of a man on the space cruiser slowly losing his mind that someone put a ton of effort into. I was shocked to discover it years later.

There was merch and MTX and online multiplayer and all this extra stuff... some of it terrible, some of it great.

EA just didn't know when to stop and had no idea what made the first game successful. They didn't understand that "less is more" and that you couldn't just create a giant, sprawling Dead Space universe from the start. You had to build to it, slowly. They didn't want that and that's what turned Dead Space 3 from the really awesome pitch the devs had into the tedious, unscary military co-op experience we ended up with.
at_comic326.jpg

425125.jpg

The Dead Space series tried a TON of new things - too many, too quickly - but some of them did work very well. Even if the series is dead and gone right now, I do encourage people to ask for a remaster and to track down some of the lesser-experienced works of this underrated series.

Maybe not Dead Space: Ignition though. Solid pass on that one.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Play SOMA. It's not a dead space replacement at all but it's an amazing sci fi horror game in it's own right. Story is superb.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
This game could easily be remastered for the switch and make money.. I'm still waiting for it to happen

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Who's making System Shock 3? I don't know if I should be excited or worried.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well, EA shut down Visceral Games, the studio who made Dead Space. So there's that.

Personally I'd recommend the new Prey (2017) game. While it isn't horror, it is sci fi and for most of the game has a feel that kind of reminds me of Dead Space in some ways.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The Dead Space trilogy is on PC is completely fine. No need for a remaster. Better they spend these resources on new games.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I liked 3 more than 1. More unique situations and better combat. Actually, I sometimes think 3 is better than 2; an argument could be made either way. But yeah, it's at least far better than the first one.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space was the first game I bought for my PS3 when I got the console in 2009. It was what made me buy the console to begin with. I was not disappointed.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The dismemberment mechanics, the weapons/tools and stasis made the combat so damn appealing. I'm a horror wuss and could only play in very short bursts initially. However, horror aside, it's actually so damn fun to play, that I kept at it and DS1 and DS2 are probably among my most replayed games.

A pity that shareholders at giants like EA don't care about smaller profits and success stories. So, Dead Space as a franchise inevitably went down the drain.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
How is Moons of Madness?

Isn't that supposed to be sci-fi Lovecraftian horror? Though I haven't watched any gameplay.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
While I liked Prey a lot I kept thinking that it was just a matter of changing the aesthetics of the game with something more akin to Alien Isolation ang replacing the enemies with something more organic and the game would have turned from good to one of the best horror experiences in games.
Don't know why they had to go with that cartoony look for the game. I guess they wanted to stay as close to Bioshock as possible just to play safe.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not the full-game, but we stuck a couple of horror segments in our retro JRPG, Cosmic Star Heroine. The first one is early on in the game when you have to explore a dark, abandoned lab where there's this huge lab experiment run amuck (which was an homage to the starting dungeon in Phantasy Star IV). Later on, there's a bonus scenario which is a big homage to Resident Evil 2 - you go to a zombie-infested police station & you have to solve RE-style puzzles to get into the underground lab there and defeat the mutated police chief in order to escape. I'd love to make a full-blown horror/JRPG but haven't yet.

It hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet, but I rather enjoyed Metro 2033 which I'd consider to be a sci-fi/horror game (post-apocalyptic setting). Not sure how the sequel fares.