• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
While I liked Prey a lot I kept thinking that it was just a matter of changing the aesthetics of the game with something more akin to Alien Isolation ang replacing the enemies with something more organic and the game would have turned from good to one of the best horror experiences in games.
Don't know why they had to go with that cartoony look for the game. I guess they wanted to stay as close to Bioshock as possible just to play safe.
They went for it because it's similar to the art styles they used for Dishonored.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
While I liked Prey a lot I kept thinking that it was just a matter of changing the aesthetics of the game with something more akin to Alien Isolation ang replacing the enemies with something more organic and the game would have turned from good to one of the best horror experiences in games.
Don't know why they had to go with that cartoony look for the game. I guess they wanted to stay as close to Bioshock as possible just to play safe.
Yeah, Prey doesn't really compare to Dead Space. It's closer to BioShock and Dishonored/classic Deus Ex.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play Prey NOW. Its on Game Pass and PS+ too

I'm playing Dead Space and Alien Isolation for the first time actually

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sci-fi horror is probably my favourite genre. I would love a FPS sci-fi horror RPG, that might be my dream game.

Dead Space was a great game, the second too even if it was more action oriented. I miss Dead Space...

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Hey, the new Doom 3 remaster is probably worth a shot. Great game, and more horror than one might expect from Doom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I adore dead space, but play this, OP. It is not a shooter, but it really is a masterpiece. It definitely has horror elements, but it is much more than that. The greatest scifi story that this medium has ever produced IMO.
Thanks, I will :)

You really should try Prey if you haven't. Both Prey and Dead Space have the same DNA (System Shock).

Actually if you've never played System Shock then you should at least play System Shock 2.
Will do.

And yes, I played a little bit of SS back in the day.

They sure tried to, though...

I really miss Dead Space, and I think even a lot of Dead Space FANS missed out on a lot of Dead Space-related content back in the day because EA tried to flood the market with comics, movies, and spin-offs.

Like, the Dead Space iOS game is FANTASTIC! Original story, original characters, legit great graphics and scares and trippy hallucinations. How many Dead Space fans got a chance to play it?

Dead Space Extraction was overlooked by so many fans for being on the Wii and being on-rails. A late port to PS3 didn't really bolster it, but it's incredible and it planted so many extra seeds the franchise could've followed up with.

The comics were supremely disturbing, especially the ones with art by the incredible horror artist Ben Templesmith.

The DVD movies are inconsistent but I consider still mostly positive, if only to flesh out a few background characters from the games. Anyone check them out? The first one "Downfall" holds up pretty well, all things considered, while "Aftermath" is far more inconsistent because it uses multiple animation styles (though some of them work better than others). They're highly disturbing and very visceral, at the very least.

You want more info on the background history of the series - the history of stuff like the Markers and Unitology? The books have you covered.

Hell, I'm willing to be most people don't even know that there's an official Dead Space 1 tie-in interactive ARGN website called "No Known Survivors" that told the story of a man on the space cruiser slowly losing his mind that someone put a ton of effort into. I was shocked to discover it years later.

There was merch and MTX and online multiplayer and all this extra stuff... some of it terrible, some of it great.

EA just didn't know when to stop and had no idea what made the first game successful. They didn't understand that "less is more" and that you couldn't just create a giant, sprawling Dead Space universe from the start. You had to build to it, slowly. They didn't want that and that's what turned Dead Space 3 from the really awesome pitch the devs had into the tedious, unscary military co-op experience we ended up with.

The Dead Space series tried a TON of new things - too many, too quickly - but some of them did work very well. Even if the series is dead and gone right now, I do encourage people to ask for a remaster and to track down some of the lesser-experienced works of this underrated series.

Maybe not Dead Space: Ignition though. Solid pass on that one.
That's a great post. I remember most of this, but thanks for the reminder. I have to look for some of this stuff.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I still can't believe EA greenlit those games back then. It just seems like contrary to anything they would stand for today.

Intel 404

Nov 3, 2019
Dead Space is one of my favorites Saga . I think Dead Space 2 is the better one, it have more intensity than the others

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I still can't believe EA greenlit those games back then. It just seems like contrary to anything they would stand for today.
Maybe they'll get back on track with the positive reception of the Jedi game?

With all the remasters and remakes we're getting nowadays, Dead Space Trilogy should be a no-brainer.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I will always be incredibly frustrated with EA for doing what they did to Visceral Games. 1 and 2 were fantastic and 3 is where it went wrong, it wasn't all bad but it was nothing like the greatness that was 1 and 2.

Still, I would have loved to see a new Dead Space with today's hardware, not to mention next gen hardware.