• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hip-Hop-Gamer.jpg

Gather round friends, because I believe HipHopGamer may have been trying to tell us about Spartacus for years, and very few listened. Back then the most we were hoping for was PS4 BC and we got it, but the prospect of further BC to previous generations seemed slimmer by the day. Then recently we got Jason Schreier breaking news about Sony's project Spartacus which aims to have BC to multiple older generations of PlayStation console. Suddenly I remembered the words of the HipHopGamer and I'm wondering just how much might be true.

Back in early 2020 he was posting about a "remastering engine" that his sources had talked about:

Then in Oct 2020 he reiterated that his sources were telling him that this big BC push was still being worked on:

(skip to 43:15 for the BC stuff, and he goes more in-depth at 1:12:00)

Now that the existence of additional BC is all but confirmed (if Jason's reporting it, it's coming), I have to wonder if HipHopGamers reports of a remastering engine may be true. If so, we could be looking at buttload of enhanced BC games coming to Spartacus.

I've found HipHopGamer to be an interesting enough personality and he certainly seems to know a lot of industry folks as he interacts with them pretty regularly. I've been cautiously optimistic for years that his claims would come true, and I think we're a few months away from that point. Thus I will, without shame proclaim to the world, I BELIEVE IN HIPHOPGAMER!

Thank you :)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I met this dude at the quantum break launch even in NY, nice guy, unbelievably hyped all the time

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not believing that this will be a BC solution unless Sony announces it themselves. This is just going to be game streaming with no enhancements, I'm almost certain of that.

Noog

ā–² Legend ā–²
May 1, 2018
I know people will clown him for the "remastering engine" thing but I get what he means, it's a simplified way to describe an emulator that upscales and up-reses the games.

No idea if it's true, but man I hope so. The PS3 has some absolutely phenomenal games that are becoming lost to time because of the lack of backwards compatibility. Streaming on PS Now doesn't work well for me. I know finding a way to emulate PS3 is a big challenge, but God I hope they've figured it out.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I know people will clown him for the "remastering engine" thing but I get what he means, it's a simplified way to describe an emulator that upscales and up-reses the games.

No idea if it's true, but man I hope so. The PS3 has some absolutely phenomenal games that are becoming lost to time because of the lack of backwards compatibility. Streaming on PS Now doesn't work well for me. I know finding a way to emulate PS3 is a big challenge, but God I hope they've figured it out.

Yeah, he's obviously not the most technically knowledgeable person and may not know how to properly convey the information he wants to get across. Still, I'm jumping on board with him for this :)

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I would very be very happy to see native BC locked behind a online paywall. Just for the thread.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
He's a good dude. I attended a few events with him when I was still doing games journo and he was always excited about fucking everything, and always pulled up the energetic center of gravity of the whole group.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If you are expecting a BC solution that allows you to put in a PS1 or PS2 disc/DVD... don't.

The upcoming solution is, essentially, building PS Now, merging it with PS+, and offering it with tiers that have various offerings -- one tier being PS1/PS2/PSP, the next being those platforms + PS3, etc...

I hate to compare it to NSO (because it sounds much better than NSO) but it won't be a solution we have seen from MS and Xbox-style BC.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If you are expecting a BC solution that allows you to put in a PS1 or PS2 disc/DVD... don't.

The upcoming solution is, essentially, building PS Now type offerings, merging them with PS+, and offering it with tiers that have various offerings -- one tier being PS1/PS2/PSP, the next being those platforms + PS3, etc...

Yeah, I wasn't expecting disc BC.

Nate, by any chance do you know if this "remastering engine" he talks about has a ring of truth to it? As in the legacy games will be improved in some ways, shapes and forms?

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020

The upcoming solution is, essentially, building PS Now, merging it with PS+, and offering it with tiers that have various offerings -- one tier being PS1/PS2/PSP, the next being those platforms + PS3, etc...

I hate to compare it to NSO (because it sounds much better than NSO) but it won't be a solution we have seen from MS and Xbox-style BC.

But will the games run natively or will it be streaming only?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How is a remastering engine simpler than describing an emulator.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm not believing in fucking HipHopGamer what the fuck.

Not believing shit till' I see it, Sony been ass with BC for a long time now I wanna see results.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
But will the games run natively or will it be streaming only?
The million dollar question and one I don't have complete clarity on. I know PS3 is streamed. As for the other platforms, I'm operating under the belief they are native but don't have confirmation that is the case, yet.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting disc BC.

Nate, by any chance do you know if this "remastering engine" he talks about has a ring of truth to it? As in the legacy games will be improved in some ways, shapes and forms?

Unfortunately, I don't have any info on this front at the moment.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

So if 3 tiers then:
- PSN Plus (online play only)
- PSN Premium (plus + ps collection)
- PSN Platinum (plus + collection + now)

sounds reasonable?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
In the many years Hip Hop Gamer has been around, I don't think I've heard a single rumor from them that's been correct. What he talks about with a "remastering engine" isn't how these things work.

element

Oct 27, 2017
"remastering engine" sounds about as accurate as Google Translate.

There so much hacky code in the most organized and bug free titles that it just wouldn't work.

Emulation, translation layer and replaced executables is the best scenario. Which is everything MS does now.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I just want to be able to buy PS1/PS2/PSP games individually if I don't want to subscribe to a service. I hope that's an option.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
A YouTube guy repeatedly saying "Sony is working on the thing Microsoft is doing" isn't evidence of insider knowledge. Any person could reasonably make that guess.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
HipHopGamer! The man that said the Dualsense would be able to turn hot or cold depending on the weather in the game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying they will do emulation on the games they have on PS Now for at least that long, where's my pin

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the BC is going to be via emulation and not just PS Now stuff thats already there?

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
PS3 will continue to be streamed. The PS2 games are already played locally, and PS1 can run at 4K on a raspberry Pi, so I assume those will as well. Still think this isn't going to be some major shakeup, just the same two services repackaged in slightly different ways, with maybe some more PS1/PS2 games included. Not a chance for disc based BC imo, especially considering there's not even a CD reading laser in the PS5

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's premature to take a victory lap without knowing full details. I mean anyone with a brain could see they Probally would eventually have a service like this lol. Esp the remastering engine stuff lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It would be cool if PS1/2 Classics we bought carried over to whatever BC solution Sony comes up with for the PS5, but we're talking about Sony, so I guess all that content will remain locked to the PS3 and the Vita.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is still going on? I swear it gets revived every single year since the launch of the PS5.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
If this remastering engine is true then he would have me going hip hop hooray