• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to buy a Yakuza 0 key from the new Humble Bundle in the BTS thread. Found a great buyer, I sent the money, got the key. No problems there

Then the trouble started. I got an Email that the transaction is under investigation and it could take up to 72 hours until it goes through. Never happened to me, but ok. I informed the seller about the problem and he says he sees the transaction as pending in his account. I went to bed thinking it's gonna go through the next morning.

Now I woke up to an Email from PayPal that my account is under investigation and restricted. It could even get closed if I wouldn't respond in a timely matter. Wtf!

Why? Well, because I put the name of the game in the transaction description like I always do. And as we all know there's a criminal organization with the same name. Then I realized it. Oh no, I fucked up.

oHf3IgU.gif

Now I had to write them about the transaction and details about the use of the name in their Resolution center. I explained the situation fully and am waiting for a response. It's pretty weird though that your account can get flagged for a simple description of the product you buy. Let this be a warning if you buy a Yakuza 0 key and pay with PayPal. Don't write it in the description.

Anyone else that had a similar problem with PayPal? How did it go?

Edit: Success!
They just reactivated the account and the money went through.

I'm surprised PayPal resolved the issue so fast. Good job to the support. I learned my lesson though, never use a game name in the description again

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Heh. Like having a Giant Bomb sticker on your luggage.

If you used friends & family for that transaction you might still have a problem btw. I dunno how strict PayPal is with its policy on that though.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was expecting to go into this thread calling you an idiot and I'm in it calling you an idiot for a completely different reason.

Funny story, regardless. And to be fair, I can see myself making a mistake like this.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Hahaha, lol.

I'm sure every criminal organization uses their name in all of their transactions, good on you PayPal for being so diligent, lmao.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kazuma would kick the shit of the PayPal people if he found out

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in PayPal now must be "we did it, finally caught those motherfuckers!!!"

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened to me. Don't sweat it.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Christ almighty , is PayPal run by dodderring seniors? can't they Google these names and phrases?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Christ almighty , is PayPal run by dodderring seniors? can't they Google these names and phrases?
WTF does this even mean? Not everything revolves around gaming. Outside of forums and a few casual gamers, Yakuza isn't known as a gaming series. If you go on Google and do a search, the first page is about the criminal organisation.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PayPal do millions and millions of transactions every day, they have program doing this stuffs looking for key words like these. They had to do it because of the law

Sure, an automated system flags it but then real people are involved in the investigation correct? I would assume a quick Google would result in them realizing its just a game and then clearing the transaction.

Something similar happened with me when I first purchased games from Steam in India. My Citibank account got locked, One phone call, told them what steam was, they cleared it as a trusted site and never had a problem since

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Ah yes, the organised crime organisation, the Yakuzee Zero. Known for signing their criminal transactions with their name.
Mind if I ask what "nico nico nii" is?
Short answer: Catchphrase of a child idol called Nico from Love Live.

Long answer:

Either way, definitely worth getting flagged and investigated.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
That's pretty funny. But I don't think Yakuza would label their transactions as "Yakuza" especially in English. Gonna buy Yakuza 6 and name it "Yamaguchi gumi" too see what happens

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WTF does this even mean? Not everything revolves around gaming. Outside of forums and a few casual gamers, Yakuza isn't known as a gaming series. If you go on Google and do a search, the first page is about the criminal organisation.

I assume they would know where the money went and to how much ? A few bucks to something called Humble Bundle which they would see is just an online game store. Honestly if they suspect criminal activity, they should check for false positives first without user even knowing

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
A friend of mine made a transfer in the USA to another friend called Iran, the bank locked the account and he was greated with the police (?) asking him why he is sending money to Iran... Then he had to get copies of Iran's passport to show that it's a name not a country lol

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Haha...it should be fine OP, after awhile. This reminds of the time I sent some money back to my parents years ago via wire and named the transaction "Oto-san". Turns out I too got investigated by US authorities as the service wired it via Bank of America or something. They thought it was a code word for some Yakuza. Spent a few weeks laughing and crying but eventually was let through after I sent some declaration and documents.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A friend of mine made a transfer in the USA to another friend called Iran, the bank locked the account and he was greated with the police (?) asking him why he is sending money to Iran... Then he had to get copies of Iran's passport to show that it's a name not a country lol

Now I'm gonna send my sister money with the description "Bin Laden Chan" just to see what happens

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Of course if a real Yakuza would transfer money via Paypal he would put the world "Yakuza" in the transaction. This anti-fraud system is smart.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Paypal are notorious for reacting to whatever keywords you put in the description. I've heard this story way too many times already. It's pretty obvious real yakuza wouldn't do it this way, but don't let anyone at Paypal tell you better.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Ah yes, the organised crime organisation, the Yakuzee Zero. Known for signing their criminal transactions with their name.
Short answer: Catchphrase of a child idol called Nico from Love Live.

Either way, definitely worth getting flagged and investigated.
Child idol? Really? She's supposed to be 17 at the time the events of the series take place.

I also really don't see why it warrants a flag. What it means should be pretty obvious from a quick search.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Yakuza one of my favorite games and this thread made my day. Hopefully it will be resolved and keep us updated on it.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I once Venmoed a friend saying "Cuban restaurant" and my account was under investigation for over a year.
🙃

Dude made a transaction saying "weapon-grade plutonium". Getting him a letter of his bank, saying they assume it to be a joke because of the small amount of money, but if he ever does something like this again, they may close his account.
I'm always tempt to use some stupid shit when transfering money to my mom, but in the end I never did. Wise decision I guess. No fun allowed. :p