• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've been playing Ni-Oh again after finishing Sekiro to feel that Feudal Japan itch, and damn, I'd forgotten how good the combat in this game was. Well, not forgotten but you could say Sekiro made me appreciate Ni-Oh's combat even more. So, what makes it so good?

• On the base PS4, the game runs (mostly) at 60FPS at the cost of rendering at 720p, with an option for 1080p 30FPS. Why don't more console games (especially action games) do this? A high framerate mode should be the standard for every Single-player game on the enhanced consoles at the very least.
  • The Ki purification thing is so well executed. If you're good at the game you can pretty much be constantly attacking, it almost feels like a rhythm game at times.
  • While the loot aspect definitely sucks and makes getting a weapon and sticking with it frustrating, it feels like every type of weapon is 100% viable. I've been using the double Uchigatana + the Axe, this combo pretty much has you prepared for every situation.
  • On top of that, you have three different postures with the ability to instantly swap between them, it's almost like having three weapons equipped at once.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time, last year I got frustrated on the third mission because the map felt like a maze, but this time I instantly noticed that there was a lever to open up a shortcut so we're off to a great start I guess :P

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Ni-Oh is an incredible game. It also gave me so much feudal Japan fantasy goodness that I frankly feel burned out on the whole setting. Hence, skipping Sekiro for now.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nioh is incredible. Controls are super responsive. Everything feels good to do. The game feels like playing a fighting game and has a lot of the DNA of what makes fighting games great. Imma go play some Nioh when I get home.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
It's good, just a shame that it's wasted on such dull and repetitive enemy design. :/ If they could make a Nioh 2 where they focus a lot more on level and enemy/encounter design, I'd like the game a lot more, that's what I want from a sequel.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, it's great. The combat is fast, fluid and visceral with plenty of weapons to mess around with. Easily surpasses the combat in From games. Team Ninja did a great job in this department but I wish everything else was up to snuff :/

Nioh 2 has so much potential, and I'm glad they're going with a character creator this time round.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, it's great. The combat is fast, fluid and visceral with plenty of weapons to mess around with. Team Ninja did a great job in this department.

Nioh 2 has so much potential, and I'm glad they're going with a character creator this time round.

Are they ever going to talk about the game again? It feels like it was announced and nothing came out of it besides the character creation stuff.

Hopefully they'll ditch the loot aspect of it too. Really all they need to do is improve upon the amazing combat system of the first one and work on level and enemy design to have a masterpiece.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree. It's easily one of my favorite things about the game, and I can't wait to see what else they could do with it in the sequel.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I played in low stance for the sweet iframes it's crazy how much variety the move sets of the weapons had.

Not as good as FROM for sure but still good

The level design isn't but the combat trumps anything fromsoft has made. Then again the biggest difference is how they both handle weapons. From splits movesets between gear while Nioh is per weapon class. I really hope Nioh 2 is amazing, they're the only competition to from in the souls-like 3D space in my eyes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Are they ever going to talk about the game again? It feels like it was announced and nothing came out of it besides the character creation stuff.

Hopefully they'll ditch the loot aspect of it too. Really all they need to do is improve upon the amazing combat system of the first one and work on level and enemy design to have a masterpiece.
The Playstation EU product manager got to play the game a month or two ago and he enjoyed it. Previews might come up later this year.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The early word on this game made it sound like the unfair sort of difficult, but your character is so smooth and responsive that you feel perfectly in control. I still remember how immediately exhilarating the game's first battle against basic mooks is. The way you can dash in and out is beautiful.

Also, some of the levels are so atmospheric. That first level in the pirate harbor in the torchlit rain at night, for example.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If the demo is still available I will re-download and try again. The first go with the demo I found it to be pretty dull compared to Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

edit: looks like it was just a beta I was playing and no longer available.

Dec 8, 2018
Decent combat coupled with thrash tier loot system, enemy and map variety (don't even mention phantoms they are garbage), story and acting makes it my most disappointing game this gen.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the sequel just needs more enemy variety and better level design and it will be fucking amazing

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I legit finally bought the complete edition 3 days ago on PC.
Its pretty great and I like it a hell of alot more than I did Sekiro

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'll forever be sad that the future press guide was canceled. Would love for them to get a stab at 2 and maybe even the first with all DLC.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
the sequel just needs more enemy variety and better level design and it will be fucking amazing

That and a loot system that doesn't result in 99.9% trash items you are just going to sell so you can pay for absurdly priced ugrades. I'd rather have the Souls style where finding unique weapons and armor is part of the fun. The set bonus thing has to go as well because it really meant that wearing anything but sets was a drawback. I want my fashion Nioh!

I really hope they take some cues from Sekiro because blocking wasn't really much of a thing in Nioh, it was always better to dodge.

Jan 15, 2018
The combat is definitely really fun, it's really a shame the game feels so padded out, because it's an incredible 25 hour game pushed to 50.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
One of the best games of the Gen in my honest opinion. I know a lot of people complain about the games length, but I loved going through every mission on my first run. Can't wait for Nioh 2, super excited to see how they've improved the formula.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the combat, just a shame about everything else. A few tweaks could make the second game something special.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The combat is at its best around WOTS/WOTD.

When you get to WOTW, WOTN, and the Abyss, it becomes watered down into putting on 8 buffs, draining your life, and then popping Living Weapon to one shot everything because everything one shots you and it feels really repetitive.

There's other builds of course, but the enemies get so tanky in these difficulties that I don't want to bother.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing out knowing that there's a good 4 or 5 other weapons all with their own spiffy special moves/abilities (that can actually be useful no less as opposed to say most of DS3's weapon art stuff) that I've never even toyed around with.

But hey, that's what Nioh 2 will be for.
In any case I got some good mileage out of the axe and lance.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
There isn't a hyphen in Nioh. Why are people doing this.
There used to be. I think it was meant as a pronunciation aid, but they gave up because people just kept pronouncing it "Neo".
EQD0Qf4.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible, but I feel like the game doesn't do much with it and I found the bosses boring, it still hurts that I ended up dropping the game when I have finished every modern FROM game, it just didn't grab me... also the loot stuff just no.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the combat mechanics carried me through every side quest in the game, every repeated map, and every repeated boss battle is a testament to how pristine and well balanced it was. A plethora of options, a truly rewarding risk / reward system, and beautiful combat feel.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Yep! Still the best combat system of all time for me.
I just wish they add much more enemy variety for the sequel. No matter how good the combat system is it always gets boring and repetetive without great enemy variety. Had the same issue with recent God of War.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The combat system in Nioh is godlike. A masterpiece in that respect. I love the tonfas.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Itemisation makes swapping styles kinda pointless. I stuck with mid-spear for the entire game, because why bother.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Nioh is a gem. It's notably better than Dark Souls III and Sekiro when it comes to combat. A lot of things in Nioh really took it to From Software. Not Bloodborne though. Bloodborne is still the king.