• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2019
I too have been replaying the game and it's absolutely stellar. So many different options from weapons to stances to skills.

There are quite a few issues I have with the game though.
- The loot system, giving you tons of trash upon trash. Leveling, learning skills and sorting my inventory takes like 2-3 minutes every mission, it's pretty stupid.
- Obviously as many have said the enemy variety was severely lacking too. It had less enemy variety than souls games but Nioh was like 2-3 times as long. That's not even counting the Abyss.
- The level design ranges from average to mediocre. The dlc mission with the constant barrage of arrows. The sea level with Umibozu, the underground level with the Centipede boss and more are just horrible imo.

I do actually really like a lot of the bosses though, even if they're overused as hell.

Giant Toad is probably my favourite boss design in any souls like game. Sure it's not exactly really original when you know there's plenty of giant toads with pipes in old Japanese folklore and even media. But come on man, Giant Toad is cool as fuck. Yuki Onna, Oda Nobunaga and more were also really cool too.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I couldn't get past the boss on the ship. I think I'm doing something wrong. I somehow misunderstood what to do/dispel his rings.

I should give it another try after Sekiro.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nioh would never click with me, it was way too much to take in with its difference stances and all that.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The combat mechanics truly are excellent, but ultimately, I didn't find Nioh's combat to be quite as satisfying as in From's games. I guess I prefer From's style of weighty animations and movement versus Nioh's emphasis on speed and flashiness.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
After I finish up the Ringed City Nioh is next.

Looking forward to that 60 fps mode on my Pro.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is my Game of the Generation almost entirely due to how incredible the combat is. The combat in this game is utterly sublime. It is so good I can't help but overlook the other flaws the game has thanks to the sheer joy I get playing the game. It's a true joy to play and experiment around with new weapons, skills and builds. It consistently rewards exploration and experimentation with its combat and something about the ki pulse system just gets you into this smooth groove when playing the game. It feels mechanically rewarding in a way no other game thus entire generation has.

The only build I played that felt like it wasn't truly viable was a bare fisted build due solely to how much it relied on the use of onmyo. I seriously hope they flesh out bare fisted builds a bit more for the sequel as it's definitely a very central fantasy for lots of players and it'd be nice to be able to indulge it.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through for the first time, completely agree about the combat being great. It feels too complex at first, but you can start simple and build other things in as you go.

Loot is kind of the same. Yeah there's a lot of it, but this is probably the first game I've played where I've developed a build that feels coherent and is based on my own playstyle as well as the abilities I've found along the way. Compared to any Souls game where I just choose the biggest sword I can find, pump all my stats into strength and rely on dodging and basic attacks, I'm having a much more diverse experience here.

I'm actually rewarded for exploring too, and not just with more loot! The last boss I fought
was considerably easier because I lit a few torches beforehand

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Are they ever going to talk about the game again? It feels like it was announced and nothing came out of it besides the character creation stuff.

Hopefully they'll ditch the loot aspect of it too. Really all they need to do is improve upon the amazing combat system of the first one and work on level and enemy design to have a masterpiece.
Hell no the loot aspect is part of what makes this game such a blast to come back to. The way it enables so many different varied builds is central to the draw of the game imo. Absolutely they should tweak and adjust drop rates etc but they should not by any means just do away with the diablo like loot totally. I feel like it fits perfectly with the more arcade style setup the game has with the mission based design, repeatable missions and the forging etc.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Nioh's combat is excellent. Playing through sekiro (and while I like it) has made me appreciate the combat mechanics of nioh more and more. Especially if you don't play the min-max LW way, but it's still awesome that it offers those styles of play for people interested.

Such a good feeling to ki flux with those double stance changes, wail away at a ki broken enemy and finish off with a big charged iai or SotC.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It really is fantastic and one the main reasons is, like you said, the implementation of the ki pulse mechanic. Makes the game feel very tense and rewards you for executing it right. It just feels immensely satisfying to pull off. Haven't played Sekiro yet but i can't wait to try it. Hope it goes on sale soon.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
That and a loot system that doesn't result in 99.9% trash items you are just going to sell so you can pay for absurdly priced ugrades. I'd rather have the Souls style where finding unique weapons and armor is part of the fun. The set bonus thing has to go as well because it really meant that wearing anything but sets was a drawback. I want my fashion Nioh!

I really hope they take some cues from Sekiro because blocking wasn't really much of a thing in Nioh, it was always better to dodge.
What? Blocking is totally a thing. Frankly it's overpowered if you've got decent toughness since blocking any attack will result in a total damage mitigation so long as you have ki. Toughness reduces the amount of ki a blocked attack takes and higher levels of it make blocking extremely powerful.

Furthermore I'd argue the parrying system with its unique skills with varied parry window timing and effects tied to specific weapons has a lot more depth and flexibility to it than Sekiro does.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
To me it's the best action-rpg combat system to date, nothing comes even close. The way you can change stances and time your KI recovery is sublime, add to that a plethora of special moves and even From games are left in the dust on that field.

I just wish Team Ninja would brush up on their level design, then Nioh would be near perfect.

I hope we see some gameplay of Nioh 2 at E3.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It's the middle ground between Souls and Sekiro the way I see it,pretty good indeed. Nioh's combat is its strongest point definitely

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Niohs combat is perfect. I cannot think of a single problem I have with it. Its perfectly unbalanced and it just works

I wouldnt mind Nioh 2 having a loot craft system ala Monster Hunter World

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
People wanting Samurai Souls should pick this up instead of complaining about Sekiro not being a Souls game. It really is amazing.
Next game should satisfy the fashion souls folk too.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Ni-Oh? or Nioh? I thought I remember it being 'Ni-Oh' in early marketing, but its been 'Nioh' for so long, its weird how I still see it pop up as "Ni-Oh"

Such a fucking rad game though, I love the combat so much. I wish the leveling system was a bit different, its so hard to go back to.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I like Nioh. Great combat and fun for a time. I wish the level design and story were a lot better. Weirdly, the game is too long too. It's so fun but I got burnt out on it because of the level reuse. The fact that most levels are just *okay* really hampers an otherwise great design.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I never did checkout this game when I heard about random loot. But maybe I'll just grab it on PC and just hack in the items to workaround it

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Love this game and was my personal GOTY when it came out. It was a welcome reminder that Team Ninja STILL has it in them when it comes to making fun combat for an action game, in their own right!

If the next game takes the time to iron out the few ills I had with it (re: enemy variety, level design), the sequel should be amazing.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The combat is so great, it's a league above Souls, BB and even Sekiro. I love it so much, felt incredible and was so varied.

Hope the sequel takes the combat exactly like it is, adds some new weapons, improves the looting and the enemy variety.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is incredible. Controls are super responsive. Everything feels good to do. The game feels like playing a fighting game and has a lot of the DNA of what makes fighting games great. Imma go play some Nioh when I get home.
Yeah, that's what I love so much about Nioh, it really feels like a fighting game at its core. I'm on NG+2 and still learning some stuff, it's pretty amazing.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
For some reason Nioh's combat never really clicked with me, despite finishing the game. I thought I would feel the same way about Sekiro as well in the early hours of that game, but Sekiro has clicked.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best combat system I have played. Used well over 20 different styles which were all completely different, very deep and just downright fun to play, few games get 1 down never mind hitting the sheer variety on offer. Hopefully they can get the rest of the game up to the level of the combat system for Nioh 2.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on seeing the light and experiencing one of the best action games this generation. Compared to From games it's infinitely more polished too. Just comparing QOL features it's way more stacked.

Customisation (hair cut and armour skin transfer)
Bestiary and model viewer
Let's you get infinite respecs
7 weapons with different movesets for each of the 3 stances, each weapon with unique skill trees for combo finishers and weapon skills.
Has a 60 fps mode

Dec 14, 2017
I've been playing Ni-Oh again after finishing Sekiro to feel that Feudal Japan itch, and damn, I'd forgotten how good the combat in this game was. Well, not forgotten but you could say Sekiro made me appreciate Ni-Oh's combat even more. So, what makes it so good?

• On the base PS4, the game runs (mostly) at 60FPS at the cost of rendering at 720p, with an option for 1080p 30FPS. Why don't more console games (especially action games) do this? A high framerate mode should be the standard for every Single-player game on the enhanced consoles at the very least.
  • The Ki purification thing is so well executed. If you're good at the game you can pretty much be constantly attacking, it almost feels like a rhythm game at times.
  • While the loot aspect definitely sucks and makes getting a weapon and sticking with it frustrating, it feels like every type of weapon is 100% viable. I've been using the double Uchigatana + the Axe, this combo pretty much has you prepared for every situation.
  • On top of that, you have three different postures with the ability to instantly swap between them, it's almost like having three weapons equipped at once.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time, last year I got frustrated on the third mission because the map felt like a maze, but this time I instantly noticed that there was a lever to open up a shortcut so we're off to a great start I guess :P
It's amazing. The only downside is that it's about 1/3 too long.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
i know! I love it so much. (much more than SEKIRO, though they're very different)

It's not "perfect" of course, but feels satisfying and ... variable (?)
It made me truly FEEL like I am William.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Mah nigga.

Combat is better than souls games and better than pretty much all action games for me, and i've played them all. Over 1700+ hours and running, you cant beat it!

I cant wait for Nioh 2, the possible improvements to the great foundation make my mouth water

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nioh's combat is far and above anything I've played elsewhere. I can see the argument for Bloodborne over it perhaps, but in terms of personal preference Nioh takes the cake. It is just so damn fluid and smooth, even someone with terrible coordination like me can have fun with it. I really wish I could just take the same combat from Nioh and transplant it into any number of RPGs to be honest.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If only the rest of the game is good.

If only we don't have fight the same bandits, miners, yokais over and over again in every fucking level.

If only we don't have to constantly swap to a new Katana and ditch the rest 900, one of which is even upgraded cause we thought it's gonna stick around for a while.

but yeah the combat is good.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Yeah, I love From's games, but Nioh has that Ninja Gaiden lineage. Really hard to top that.

I do wish Nioh's loot had been refined, but it's still a great experience.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It just made me want a new Ninja Gaiden. Nioh at least gives me confidence it wouldn't be another NG3 level mess.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Combat is the only thing worth mentioning about the game for me . Just personal opinion because the world and creatures aren't as interesting

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Best combat this gen by far, From games nowhere near close in terms of fun/builds.

Not sure why people complain about the loot aspect, The game starts at way of the wise/Nioh. As that's when Etheral godsets drop.

Not to mention you can go the settings and just set it so you pick up only divines etc.

Also shout out too the best co-op implementation which make From games laughably archaic in comparison. Yokai real with a companion so you can both start the missions at the same time, No need for summoning, No visitor white glue covered all over, And you can both open chests and reach checkpoints/Kodama. You also get a revival bar to get each other on death since the difficulty and enemy placement changes!

Nioh by far has the best gameplay, best builds and best co-op implementation, Nioh 2 can only get better and they already announced a create a character feature.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
If only the rest of the game is good.

If only we don't have fight the same bandits, miners, yokais over and over again in every fucking level.

If only we don't have to constantly swap to a new Katana and ditch the rest 900, one of which is even upgraded cause we thought it's gonna stick around for a while.

but yeah the combat is good.

But you don't have to switch, You can soul match any level and you can easily re-roll every stat on the weapon/armour.

You only swap when you reach ethereal level because of higher base stats.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
Yup, Nioh's amazing. Team Ninja knows how to make combat. It might not have the amount of weapons that a Souls game has, but the lack of variety there is made up for with the depth of each weapon and the overall build variety of the game.

It's also commendable that this refinement came from Team Ninja doing multiple public betas to get feedback. The state of the game around the very first beta was fine, it would've been a good game either way, but getting it playtested in bulk and seeing how players engage with the mechanics helped Team Ninja achieve True Greatness.

Despite this, in tempting times like these, it's important to remember your true allegiances and praise the sun.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh is a gem. It's notably better than Dark Souls III and Sekiro when it comes to combat. A lot of things in Nioh really took it to From Software. Not Bloodborne though. Bloodborne is still the king.

I agree. I would put DS3 over Ni-Oh as well though, had a lot of fun with that game.

Expecting greatness from Ni-Oh 2