• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Once the algorithm learned my proclivities, I haven't laughed this much from an app... ever. I'm afraid to learn how invasive it is and weigh it against all this goofy shit.

Oct 29, 2017
tosdr.org

Frontpage -- Terms of Service; Didn't Read

“Terms of Service; Didn't Read” (short: ToS;DR) is a project started in June 2012 to help fix the “biggest lie on the web”: almost no one really reads the terms of service we agree to all the time.

This doesn't look horrible so far. The terms of service are Still getting reviewed on this site

clearacell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a video of a slice of bread falling over that made me laugh for a minute straight. The algorithm knows all

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
It is Vine except regular non-celebrities actually have a chance to have their content visible and unrestricted by a six-second timer

I won't ever download it but I will enjoy the residual content reposted on Twitter and such

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't go looking for dancing lame copy cat videos, you might find yourself on finance Tik Tok

OP
OP
BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
tosdr.org

Frontpage -- Terms of Service; Didn't Read

“Terms of Service; Didn't Read” (short: ToS;DR) is a project started in June 2012 to help fix the “biggest lie on the web”: almost no one really reads the terms of service we agree to all the time.

This doesn't look horrible so far. The terms of service are Still getting reviewed on this site

This is good news for now. Recently jumped off Insta and have no interest in creating, just consuming.

It is Vine except regular non-celebrities actually have a chance to have their content visible and unrestricted by a six-second timer

I won't ever download it but I will enjoy the residual content reposted on Twitter and such

I love running into low view vids that are just as hilarious as anything else. This is where Instagram has lost me.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I resisted for a while too. It's honestly great content and has totally gotten me off of Zuckerberg's platforms so I'll consider it a win.

OP
OP
BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
How do you even start browsing that? I've tried a few times but the videos I got were 100% nonsense.

It's like a seemingly shitty JRPG that hits its stride 15 hours in. You just gotta put the time in. Now I'm regaled with goofy white girls playing out the initial brontosaurus scene in Jurassic Park

Like what you like, skip what you don't, comment on the best and flag as disinterested those who suck. It's almost astonishing to see an app confirm to your wants.

Last edited:

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I just can't do it. The animal vids are fine but I can't stand the people overacting and exaggerating facial expressions to sync up with dialogue from a movie or whatever.

Still, animal vids

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I deleted tik tok a month ago . Their algorithm is scary accurate at finding what you like to see , I found myself wasting hours and hours on the thing.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The algorithm on TikTok is the most fascinating tool I've ever seen on social media.

This gets mentioned alot and has me intrigued; I might download it and mess around. But yeah, never felt a 'way' about it, just chalked it up to being an app aimed at those who enjoy using social media in creative ways, and seems for the more youthful audience.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
My wife started posting videos of our cute cat, about only 2 weeks in and like over 2k followers and 14k views, she's happy haha. Not so much luck with other platforms.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I wish my algorithm zoned in on funny videos. Just thirsty women sadly. Well "sadly" but still. I keep fighting against the algorithm if I just want to see some funny shit.

although it was funny when I compared it with my gay friend and he was like wait TikTok isn't all semi naked twinks?

Last edited:

Saduj

Banned
Jul 30, 2019
From what I'm told people enjoy that it's a more positive social media, during a time of pervasive negativity. Still didn't take the plunge as Instagram already hits my quota for social media.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The algorithm is incredible. Where every other social media platform implemented algorithms to ruin your preferred experience, TikTok built one that does what it's supposed to. It rules.

Hating on TikTok was always misplaced. I'm glad you came around.

Edit: For those who don't know, the algorithm works on an invisible point system that you can manipulate to get certain content.

1) Liking a video gives it a point.
2) Following the person gives it a point.
3) Watching the video more than once gives it multiple points.
4) Skipping the video subtracts points depending on how fast you skip it.
5) The For You Page then provides videos based on what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy.

It's really simple and means your feed gets better the longer you use it. You get more content you like and less content you don't. It is amazing how specific your FYP can get.