• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm a spectator with no skin in the game. I am a casual observer and I don't have strong feelings for or against this technology apart from my personal impressions which are based on having borrowed an Oculus Rift from a friend for close to two weeks right after it came out.

And my impression was, this is neat but there's no way more than a hand full of people are going to put up with this bullshit.

Maybe it's just me, but I found it very hard to reconcile the requirements for free space and freedom of movement with not being able to see what's around you whilst a cable is dangling from your head and plugged into an expensive PC. Then there's the fact that I still need to wear contacts/glasses while wearing it which made an already uncomfortable apparatus even more uncomfortable. I suppose it's kind of a given but the content available for VR was truly abysmal when it first launched. Here's this thing that costs $600 and the content is a bunch of stuff that seems like a bunch of mobile shovelware quality. Maybe it's not fair to judge too harshly since most platforms launch with a poor line-up (even highly successful ones).

But it's been a year and a half and there still isn't a VR killer app. Resident Evil 7 was the first fully realized game to hit the platform to my recollection. Exclusivity to platforms like this, even if they're timed is completely toxic IMO and completely poisons ALL the VR platforms. There's a dearth of worthwhile media as-is and to have releases spread across three different but similar display platforms is complete bullshit. If I'd hopped on board the VR train with an Oculus I'd be very upset that the most complete VR experience isn't even available on my platform. I couldn't do a great job explaining why exactly I consider it different than console exclusivity, I just do.

We're getting a load of Bethesda VR games pretty soon and that's good. Although I have to say that what I've seen so far looks like a pain in the ass to play but I could be completely wrong. And it's kind of shit that what's coming has already been seen and played fucking years ago.

I was glad I didn't buy one at launch based on my experience borrowing one. I'm especially glad I didn't buy one now that there's been a year and a half of stagnation.

VR owners, do you have any regrets? Everyone else, do you plan on buying one in the next couple years or do you feel like we're still several years out before the tech meets your standards (whatever those may be).

Oct 25, 2017
VR isn't a hit, but it's probably doing better than failing.
Devs will still try and push it, with improvements to the technology and price along with better games it might get somewhere someday

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you know? You're just a work dog...

Sony ATM seems heavily invested in it and sees potential for growth. As long as they continue to support it, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I personally plan on getting one once the revision (with HDR passthrough) comes out.

lingpanda

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a PS VR bundle at launch. Was impressed initially and then the honeymoon period wore off. Too much of a chore to get out and use. Need a wireless revision and I will be back.

Flop, maybe but hopefully a stepping stone.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Yup -- always said it, VR is nowhere where it needs to be. It's a niche market for sure.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll take time, there are still headsets being worked on and the price is being lowered, and we're seeing mobile VR everywhere, it might not be the "future" of gaming per se, but I don't think we should write it off completely. It was previously far too expensive for the mainstream audience, and was targeted at a niche audience who have the expendable income for both a beefy gaming rig and the headset itself (not to mention the free space for the setup), and on the console side we really only have PSVR, which to my memory is more expensive, or just as expensive as the console itself.

I think once the cost of making VR gets cheaper and they figure out the power/price equation to make it mass marketable, it'll find it's way. We're already starting to see that with the ($300?) standalone VR headset, while it's not as powerful as something hooked up to a PC, it's a good entry point and as the costs lower and we get more standalone sets that provide a variety of experiences, I think it'll do fine.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a oculus during the summer sale. I got a 100 Amazon gift card too.

I regret it.

Used it for a week and haven't touched it since then.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a hit but it's not a total flop. It just needs time.

Remember, this is a new medium.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bought a oculus during the summer sale. I got a 100 Amazon gift card too.

I regret it.

Used it for a week and haven't touched it since then.
I was close to pulling the trigger on that deal too. Glad I held off. Seems it loses its appeal quickly once the honeymoon period is over

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not a hit, but I love my oculus.

Flop or not, still fun as balls to pull someones magazine out of someone elses gun in Pavlov VR.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it is. However, it's still in its early baby steps. We are only the first / second generation of devices in. Obviously, it's NOT a mainstream success, but no one believed that would happen. It's far too niche to break out of its target group - at least for dedicated headsets. Phone VR is actually very common.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a flop, but I also wouldn't say it's a massive success either although Sony says otherwise. I've always been of the mindset that VR is still very much in it's early days, and it still has a lot to prove. Experiences like RE7, Skyrim, DOOM, and a couple others are only the beginning of what is hopefully a bright future for this new "platform."

VR will likely become bigger once the next generation of systems arrive and a lot more can be done with the tech. Like I said it just needs time.​

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Not a hit, but not a flop either, at least not yet. The tech is still evolving and companies are still investing in it.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've only tried PSVR very quickly. It was blurry and just okay. It was very quick though so I would need to try the Vive or something and a game that I am interested in. Bit early to call it a flop just yet but I don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not a universal hit at the moment. I do think it will get there, but first-generation VR won't be it. There's still a ton that needs to be done to get it to mass market appeal.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It´s still quite underdeveloped technology, but i believe it´s the future of gaming. That´s how a big leap forward it actually is.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're into flight sims or racing sims, it's pretty damn cool.

I adhere to the belief that while VR will definitely grow, it's going to be much slower than most really optimistic adopters think.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I bought the PSVR bundle at launch and loved it for a bit. I ended up sending it back to Amazon for a PS4 Pro. While the tech was amazing and everything I tried was cool it just wasn't sticking with me. I started to miss the thing though as it was a great cool down for traditional tv gaming sessions.

I finally bought another one when Resident Evil 7 dropped and I couldn't be happier that I did. To me, that experience alone was worth the cost. I played the game 4 times through in VR and once on the TV and the experience difference is night and day. While I do love some of the other titles that are available I see RE7 as the killer app.

Now that Skyrim VR is coming out soon I'm glad I own one. If developers continue to offer full scale gaming experiences like RE7 and Skyrim I will likely follow the tech and upgrade when available.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not a flop. Not a big hit either, obviously. They'll continue to improve it. Hopefully PS5's VR will be BC with PS4's. or vice versa.

I'm thinking of getting one in the next year or so.

Skyrim looks good. That and RE7 seem like killer apps to me.

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
No regrets here whatsoever and I can't wait to see what kind of tech will be in the next gen VR devices. It's not something that I play everyday anymore, but RE7 was truly a game changer for me.

It's quite odd thinking about the game and having all my memories be in the first person as if I was really in that mansion, as opposed to just sitting in front of a TV.

With that said, where the heck is Modern Zombie Taxi Company?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a flop. Obviously all the VR hardware companies won't be successful, but as of now PSVR is doing well, it's still extremely hard to get in Japan for example due to popularity. Not sure how Oculus and Vive are doing, but I would guess decently, especially since they are bankrolled by big companies.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, we're still in the 'building up momentum' phase, and that's fine. Things are ticking over just fine considering we're in that phase. The tech will improve and come down in price.

On the other hand, the one thing that is really bothering the shit out of me is that VR has been around for years now and it feels like no one has cracked VR game design, no one has made that killer app that makes everyone say 'Oh, THIS is why we need VR!' Instead the one thing that everyone wants to do - walk around in a 3d world - seems to be unsolved. Warping around defeats the purpose. Using an analogue stick makes people feel really ill. Room space is awesome, but it's room space. It's tiny. And there don't appear to be any new genres or experiences that are possible in VR that aren't on a normal screen. At least none that people are shouting from the rafters about.

What is the solution? If devs haven't cracked this now, will they? Because if the software doesn't make the tech seem necessary, then it's dead.

All of this is about gaming, though. I genuinely believe that VR will take off in the sports and social industries, but it's going to be years and it won't be the expensive gaming VR headsets we're all interested in.

I want Sony to launch the PSVR 2 with PS5, day and date. It will take time to sell, but that means that devs can be on board from day 1 and there will be the correct level of synergy between the products. They need to be developed together.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Seems about as successful as 3D tv.

LOL. I was about to say that it might just be the "new 3D", which was the same thing many of the early adopters were saying it most definitely wasn't. We'll, there are no more 3D TVs being developed, and 3D at the theater is also on the decline seven years after it was supposed to be "the next big thing".

Also, despite it being more refined, it's not as if VR is exactly a new tech. It failed in the 90s, and it has a chance to go either way now. It needs even more refinement to go mainstream, but if there's not a huge consumer interest in it, that might be another twenty years from now.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Bought a PS VR bundle at launch. Was impressed initially and then the honeymoon period wore off. Too much of a chore to get out and use. Need a wireless revision and I will be back.

Flop, maybe but hopefully a stepping stone.

Right, I bought a PS VR just under a month ago, and I really don't understand these set-up complaints.

Are you seriously packaging it all away once you've used it? Mine sits under my TV, I pick it up and press a button on it. Done. It's on. What on earth are people doing to have even the slightlest complaint about literally turning it on?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
You have to consider that arm chair analysts and news outlets built up an unachievable growth expectation that was never realistic given the tech, interest, and cost. The lull period we are in now is what expectations should have been from the beginning, but marketing professionals decided to run with it and create a media blitz that crippled the industry in the short term. Give it 3-5 years... you'll start seeing some amazing things.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too expensive and hardware isn't powerful enough, but it is the next logical evolution in gaming

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I believe it is. I remember back in the 80s when VR first came out. It was all the rave. There were tv shows and mega stores devoted almost entirely to VR. There were even a few movies with VR as the main topic (Lawnmower Man). It was going to change the world. But, it eventually died out.

Today it doesn't have the same popularity it had way back when.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mobile VR took off and I think the standalone rift will be a success. PSVR is an expensive accessory and PC VR, at least with the rift/vive, aren't accessible to most people, especially in regards to room scale. windows mixed reality might be able to bridge the gap and make PC VR a lot more accessible to mainstream consumers.

I can't speak to the games, tbh. I haven't really kept an eye on the PC space, but i do agree about RE7 being a killer app especially for PSVR. Seems like a lot of the other games make for great experiences but aren't really system sellers. PC VR games seem to have more variety and more interesting applications.

MogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
It can certainly get there. I've been enjoying all my VR experiences so far. It's just not there yet and hopefully it will.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Its popular but the big guys are Gear VR and PSVR, presumably due to the high pricing and requirements for vive and rift

and oculus is focusing on the $199 go (basically standalone gear VR)

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a flop but it's also not a success. It's in the middle & i'm sure the companies are happy with it so far but the price is too high for what it offers rite now. If next gen VR headsets are under 200 dollars & streamlined without all the bulk i can see them gaining more traction but until then it's just gonna be an enthusiast thing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I think VR will take off one day, but it's still too soon. The current tech is too pricey and requires pricey rigs to run on (save, of course, the comparatively cheaper PS4). And on top of that you have kinks that are still being worked out like cables, small FOV, motion sickness...

And, because of all this, you have the Catch-22 that developers don't want to make content for VR because the market is small... which leads consumers to not want to purchase VR sets, because there's no content...which leads to...

I thought we were finally achieving the dream when Oculus was originally announced, and everyone was expecting better compatibility and a $300 price tag; though it's not clear that would have ever happened even if Facebook didn't swoop in and change things. Give it another 10-20 years, I say. If the AAA games industry is still around in the 2030s I bet we'll be swimming in VR.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Timed exclusivity deals are a necessary evil. They're what enables bigger studios to develop for VR. It would be an awful financial decision to focus on a VR game while the demographic is still small if it weren't for Sony's and Oculus' financial backing.

I frankly don't get how "lack of a killer app" is a valid point. Games are a highly subjective medium, and I can't think of a single console, platform or model that has a killer app, except maybe Quake as a reason to get an internet connection. There's a ton of exceptional content on the Oculus and PSVR platforms, like Lone Echo, Batman Arkham VR, Rez Infinite, Edge of Nowhere, Resi 7, Oculus Story Studio's productions, Altspace, etc. and a couple gems on SteamVR devices, like Audioshield.

The biggest issue is that good VR is currently a niche of a niche market. PSVR has limited appeal because of its massive flaws in tracking quality, and its content is nowhere near the complexity of PC VR, but PC VR is limited to people who both have a fairly powerful PC and are willing to be early adopters of 600$+ devices. It's doing really well for such a small target demographic, but you shouldn't except it to get anywhere close to mass adoption this console gen.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Still too expensive and too weak hardware. Also needs to be wireless.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If it flopped so hard then how come I have a week of vacation booked off so i can live in Skyrim on PSVR?

:P

N E R O

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
If I had the extra space and money I would've jumped into it by now.. I don't think VR is a flop (maybe gaming wise) but a lot of industries are using it for different purposes. I think it's just..too young ?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony seems to think its worth continued investment into Move controllers and such. It might not be a out of the park hit yet but Sony has its foot in the door and could easily be the foundation for what's to come. I also expect a new version when the PS5 releases or there abouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.