• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You always see it brought up in threads.
"You're on a video game forum, don't be surprised" or something a long the lines of that.

Then you will have people like this person who inspired this thread.

Nope, half of it is. Many of us didn't sign up for video games.

I'm just going to say it, if you don't play video games I really can't relate to you at all. Sometimes I see dismissive phrases on this side of the forum like "fucking nerds" when people like or don't like a certain thing. It just bugs me, when this site crashes it's not because of what people are posting on this side of things. It's because of the nerds. We have verified video game industry people on this forum. We don't have verified sociopolitical journalists on here. That's not the focus of the site, those people are not attracted here because they know ResetEra= video games.

This is a house of nerds imo.

So if you're reading this and you're one of the people who didn't sign up here for video game discussion.....Why did you join?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So if you're reading this and you're one of the people who didn't sign up here for video game discussion.....Why did you join?

Because OT exists? It's self-explanatory. This place has quite a decent community surrounding it, and there's a large variety of discussions. Also via hangouts there are tonnes of great OTs.

I also do play video games, but it's not the reason why I joined this site.

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
Maybe they just prefer to talk to 99% dudes that play video games.

Or they are in denial.

(I haven't played a video game for 6 months though)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People who say that this is a videogame forum thus no intelligence should be found here is an absolute prick and should be banned for such condescension.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There was a poll in the EtcEra side a while ago...

it was like 95/5 for "Registered for Video Games"/"Registered for Other" IIRC.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i do find it a bit weird some people in etcetera seem to pride themselves on not participating in the gaming forum.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I enjoy video games but I don't play them constantly. There are weeks where I don't play at all. Part of it is getting older and having less time for it, and part of it is regular lulls in the gaming world. I'm going thru a lull right now where outside of RDR2 there just doesn't seem to be much interesting going on

I dip into the gaming side occasionally but I'm not super interested in the repeated holy wars about this or that that routinely go on. Also there seem to be a few more assholes over there than I remember

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I came for the video games, but I will still say fuck nerds, because even being one, we can be the worse and deserve to be called out in our bullshit.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Because OT exists? It's self-explanatory. This place has quite a decent community surrounding it, and there's a large variety of discussions. Also via hangouts there are tonnes of great OTs.

How did you come to find Era then? Looks like you were here from the start, and you've made a few gaming threads.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's really silly because this is a games forum.

But hey we also have some Tesla shills that have like 100 posts just all damage control for the company.

So people are weird.

I guess the gaming side has people that only stick to that side like those that lament about censorship in games but when you look at what's been censored you realise they're a pedo wanting to see a nude 1000 year old dragon in a 12 year Old's body .

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I mean, OT literally stands for "Off Topic", as in "off from the topic that is the primary purpose of this forum". Doesn't seem like there's any room to argue beyond just being a bit of an ass about it. It's fine if you don't "come here" for games, but that is what the forum is about.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if you don't play video games I really can't relate to you at all.
I don't believe you. You do not need video games as common ground for relating to people. Video games cannot be the sum total of how you define yourself as a human being.

And if it's true you need to start broadning your horizons and putting yourself out of your comfort zone.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I used to play games, but I don't any more. Life just doesn't allow me that sort of time, and there are things I'd rather be doing with the time if I have it spare (restaurants, mountain biking, travelling, fitness etc).

When I originally joined the other place I did... and I stuck around because I got to know people in certain OT threads (Fitness and Cycling mostly).

It's not a massively complicated concept.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, OT literally stands for "Off Topic", as in "off from the topic that is the primary purpose of this forum". Doesn't seem like there's any room to argue beyond just being a bit of an ass about it. It's fine if you don't "come here" for games, but that is what the forum is about.

OT is large and active enough to suggest otherwise, imo.

Point being, many may have come here for video games but stayed for the OT. Era is more than just a video game forum now.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I signed up to GAF years ago just to complain about video games, but over time I discovered the joy of complaining about everything else.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played a video game in a little over a year. I occasionally watch stuff on YouTube or twitch. Haven't regularly played video games since 2013.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Games or not we are all nerds here. That's not even a question. We hang on here all day discussing politics and dissecting scientific studies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Era is one of the few online communities that doesn't try to pretend that racism, sexism, and various phobias are valid or "just a difference of opinion," so it's not surprising that some people just want to talk about other stuff with all of those evolutionary dead-ends filtered out.

Oct 27, 2017
I play games but very rarely go to the games side.

What do you think of me now OP?

Not sure why whether you can relate or not hinges on what toys someone plays with, but maybe you can expand.

I'm here because of the majority liberal community leading to less toxicity/hate speech/judgement.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to assume they're just trying to act cool or something. You might not be playing video games a ton at whatever point your life is at atm but you would not have found ERA if you didn't at one point have an interest in video games.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It started as gaming for lots of us. As we grow up we realize how futile and immature console wars are. So many young aggressive people in the gaming side with such brash opinions lol. Which is fine but the amount of drive by posts you see are off the charts. Chances are the person who just posted something ridiculous as fuck won't ever return to the thread. I'm not saying that's exclusive to gaming side it's just way more prevelant. Makes for exhausting conversation.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I very rarely play games nowadays, and I find that a lot of threads in gaming side are complete trashfires (I'm too old for cringy platform war shit and too many people can't handle the games they like being criticized, especially if it's about social issues). I still frequent EtcEra because it's a proper forum (as opposed to Reddit), has decent traffic, a good number of interesting communities, and the moderation is pretty good.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I joined GAF probably eight, nine years ago. I've drifted away from games for the most part (played 3 games in the last year) but stayed for the OT and now I'm here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't discuss most of the media I consume (games, TV, movies, books, music, etc) online in general.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I do play games but I came here after my husband, who mostly reads the gaming side, said there was an OT and you could talk about anything. I decided to join and enjoy the OT so I stayed. I personally for the most part don't feel I have anything to say about games that is worth posting.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Era is a videogame forum but the OT board is an essential part of the community and website as a whole.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume they're just trying to act cool or something. You might not be playing video games a ton at whatever point your life is at atm but you would not have found ERA if you didn't at one point have an interest in video games.
I joined Gaf specifically for the OT section.

I found it via a gaming article, but the OT section is what made me sign up.

Then I moved to Era.

Oct 27, 2017
Also GaaS has made an impact. I care less about game news. I care zero about sales or console wars.

I play 20 hours of games a week at least, but they are (for the most part) the same 5 or so games. While gaming still appeals to me, gaming news does not.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's what I'm intrigued by. The reason you joined up (and you don't have to answer that I don't want to put a spotlight on you and if you're uncomfortable with your quote being in the OP just let me know and I'll remove it btw)

Open question to anyone reading this basically.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I spend 90%+ on OT side. I mainly look at the VG side to read thread titles to see headlines. The discussions about video games often perplexes me, and I often simply avoid it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm intrigued by. The reason you joined up (and you don't have to answer that I don't want to put a spotlight on you and if you're uncomfortable with your quote being in the OP just let me know and I'll remove it btw)

See above. OT has always been my primary interest. Even if I found the site via my interest in video games, OT was the reason I joined and the reason I stay.

Mar 3, 2018
f00kin nerds

I joined gaf originally for video games, but as I grew older I played less and less but still enjoyed talking in the OT. Same thing here. I still game time to time, such as currently I am slowly crawling through red dead 2, and I occasionally post on the gaming side.

It's the ancient proverb "joined for gaming, stayed for OT"

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I'm here for the OT as well. I was into video games back in early 00s to mid 00s. But gradually gave up on gaming. I probably play less then 10h a month. But people post interesting articles here every now and then and plenty of other interesting talking points here.

edit. oh, and came here via GAF.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I started visiting oldsite and joined it for gaming side, but if gaming side didn't make the jump to era, I'd still probably be here. I enjoy reading OT shit. It's worth the price of entry.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
DywrZiB.gif

OT. Games became less and less of an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.