• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
Was hanging out with family yesterday and my dad had the latest Fantastic Four movie on for some reason and as the thread title suggests I was blown away by how shitty this movie was.

The dialogue was atrocious. The acting was bad. The action sequences were nonsensical. But the worst offense....

doomfantasticfour-146710-640x320.png

what the fuck were they thinking with this version of Doctor Doom???

This was so bad that it made the previous two Fantastic Four movies decent by comparison. I'm more excited than ever now for the MCU to save these characters.

But this whole debacle raises a larger question... how do these horrible comic book movies get made? Surely they know that they are getting sent to die. What comic fan would like this?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way a F4 movie can ever be good, like Superman the source material is just too corny
Just do Incredibles but live action. Super hero family is an interesting concept that doesn't really get covered.

Edit: Lol. Didn't realize I was contributing to a quote combo chain.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It was awful. I too am often bewildered at how these movies get made with such bad decision making.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The biggest problem with the FF is Mr Incredible's power-set. The others are all cool looking.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way a F4 movie can ever be good, like Superman the source material is just too corny

As long as the FF in MCU is set in the 60s and they timeskip somehow due to fighting the celestials with Captain Marvel so Reed Richards has his shitty 60s style attitude problems I think it could be amazing.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017

Two of the greatest superhero movies ever made have been Superman movies.

Also, the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe has taken inspiration from "corny" material and spun it into gold. People used to laugh at Captain America. Now, he got the biggest cheers during Infinity War. People love him.

So, you're wrong.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But this whole debacle raises a larger question... how do these horrible comic book movies get made? Surely they know that they are getting sent to die. What comic fan would like this?
They literally didn't care about fans liking it. At all. The whole point of the FF films up to now has been to keep the licence, because they'd only keep it if they churn out actual movies with them. Everything else is a crapshoot at "maybe we can grab a few dollars along the way with as little investment as possible", but the main attraction here is licensing deals.

With the deal back at Disney/Marvel you can expect some quality FF stuff soon. My bets are on the IW2-Aftercredits (or even surprise costars, similar to Spidey in CW). If parts of the movies due to circumstance of IW1's ending open up the negative zone, I can see it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"You know Reed, this is all really fantastic."
".....WAIT A MINUTE BEN! SAY THAT AGAIN!"

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was hanging out with family yesterday and my dad had the latest Fantastic Four movie on for some reason and as the thread title suggests I was blown away by how shitty this movie was.

The dialogue was atrocious. The acting was bad. The action sequences were nonsensical. But the worst offense....

doomfantasticfour-146710-640x320.png

what the fuck were they thinking with this version of Doctor Doom???

This was so bad that it made the previous two Fantastic Four movies decent by comparison. I'm more excited than ever now for the MCU to save these characters.

Before the film's release, several sources had reported that there were multiple disagreements between 20th Century Fox and Trank during production. After being unsatisfied with Trank's original cut, Fox ordered their own changes to the film without Trank's supervision, changing and omitting certain major plot points from Trank's version. Many other sources claimed that there was "erratic behavior" from Trank on the set of the film, which resulted in Fox's negative treatment of Trank

leading to this
gbo9xcc1h05adc1gynkr.jpg

then he lost Star Wars

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Infinity War just released this year. You know, the film where Thor Odinson, with the help of Rocket Raccoon and Groot the Monster of Planet X, recruits a giant dwarf with metal hands to fire up his neutron star forge to make a magical axe to transport him across the galaxy and strike down the holder of the Infinity Gems.

But yeah, I guess the story of astronauts getting bombarded with cosmic rays and going on crazy adventures across space and time is too silly for modern audiences.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bro, read Marvel 1602. It's a story about the timeline shifting and a bunch of people with super powers showing up like 400 years before they were supposed to. It's actually mainly a political tale, not super beings fighting, about how a small group of people with fantastic covert abilities influences the entire world through political coercion.

That book makes both the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom seem amazing. I would kill for a movie adaptation of 1602.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This movie was only made just so Fox could keep the film license to the Fantastic Four...funny how that work out now.

If Marvel can rake in the cash with an Ant-Man movie then they can totally do the same with the Fantastic Four. They know how to make it both faithful to the comics but at the same time make it approachable to the causal market.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the movie was alright. It had a fresh and interesting take on the characters, the actors did a good job, and most of the dialogue I remember being okay. It was a bit slow in points. There were some fun sequences and the opening of the movie was well done. I liked the focus on the dynamic and relationship between Reed and Ben. To me the movie's biggest offense was that it felt like the first 1/3 of a story with too much of an open-ended conclusion. I made it through the whole movie and that is an improvement for m compared to some other maligned superhero flicks that come to mind.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever seen a movie called The Incredibles?
Yes. The CGI and saturday morning cartoon inspired character designs do a great deal to help mitigate the cheese factor by giving the movie a stylistic retro futuristic flair while looking like a high fidelity continuation of the style of cartoon I used to watch growing up. Very smart of Pixar to design the characters and story so that they appeal to both new parents who would be nostalgic of the animated shows of their youth as well as little kids watching a zany looking yet smartly plotted CGI cartoon.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
There was a lot of good ingredients for a good film.

FOX asked to bring on a chef who wanted to make one dish. They weren't sold on that dish but went with the chef anyways. When the dish was being cooked in a way that THEY did not like, they went behind the chef's back to "fix" the dish...that's why we got such a disaster. You get a chef and you trust the chef or you don't proceed with the chef.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Jonathan Hickman, save us! And by that I mean, please Feige, send a very large check to the man to write a screenplay and finally produce a worthy FF film!

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The CGI and saturday morning cartoon inspired character designs do a great deal to help mitigate the cheese factor by giving the movie a stylistic retro futuristic flair while looking like a high fidelity continuation of the style of cartoon I used to watch growing up. Very smart of Pixar to design the characters and story so that they appeal to both new parents who would be nostalgic of the animated shows of their youth as well as little kids watching a zany looking yet smartly plotted CGI cartoon.

What's cheesey about belonging to a family? Most people have that in common.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Ok, now keep in mind that we live in a world where "zany" characters and stories are normal. Marvel Studios has proven that over and over.

Picture a movie about a superhero family using the same care and respect to the source as Kevin Feige always does.

Family is the key. The FF are not a team like the Avengers or Justice League. They are literally family. It's a wonderful dynamic we haven't seen done well outside of the Incredibles.

Focusing on the visuals is a mistake. It's the same mistake Fox keeps making. Focus on the material and the core of what makes the characters work, the family dynamic, and you can have something special.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
As someone who has limited exposure to the fantastic four I'm struggling to see how it can be adopted in a non-corny way.

They're just 4 people with superpowers whose arch nemesis is an evil amalgamation of Iron Man, Dr Strange, and Black Panther. They spend more time exploring than fighting street crime. And they happen to be related. That's it.

You could seamlessly write them into the existing MCU and not change a thing from that premise. Just don't make it schlocky and terrible like Fox. Trank's FF has a good cast, but they're just in the wrong movie. Not unlike Venom.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Infinity War just released this year. You know, the film where Thor Odinson, with the help of Rocket Raccoon and Groot the Monster of Planet X, recruits a giant dwarf with metal hands to fire up his neutron star forge to make a magical axe to transport him across the galaxy and strike down the holder of the Infinity Gems.

But yeah, I guess the story of astronauts getting bombarded with cosmic rays and going on crazy adventures across space and time is too silly for modern audiences.
You forgot to write "while striking a pose reminiscent of All-Star Superman's last page". But yeah, Marvel movies are getting good at harnessing the WILD shit from comics. The world is ripe for a good FF movie. Sprinkle some of the gravitas found in the Hickman run and boy, you've got a good cape movie.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
They're just 4 people with superpowers whose arch nemesis is an evil amalgamation of Iron Man, Dr Strange, and Black Panther. They spend more time exploring than fighting street crime. And they happen to be related. That's it.

You could seamlessly write them into the existing MCU and not change a thing from that premise. Just don't make it schlocky and terrible like Fox. Trank's FF has a good cast, but they're just in the wrong movie. Not unlike Venom.
I can see that. My only exposure to them are reruns from the 60's cartoon and the Fox films so I guess them being corny is at the front of my mind when I think of them. But yeah, you're right. The MCU wouldn't go down that route with them.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Their abilities which would look out of place and silly if the movie were live action. However, this is an animated pixar cartoon we're talking about. I'm still not sure why The Incredibles was brought up.

How are their (FF or Incredibles, powers are basically interchangeable) abilities any sillier than those of Spiderman, Scarlett Witch, Ebon Maw, Dr. Strange, or Groot?

Iron Man and BP are running around in suits made out of nanoparticles, Dr Strange did the shadow clone jutsu while throwing magical flame whips in outer space, and Wakanda was literally invaded by aliens who brute forced their way through a Gorilla city-sized force field, but Doom is silly?

I don't understand this mentality at all in 2018. It's like Fox has poisoned people's brains. The modern FF is nothing like the cartoon from the 1960s.

Edit: nvm, saw your new reply