• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 21, 2019
So LTTP but I finished DP recently and my wife an I liked it a lot. Just the right amount of Japanese whack and Twin Peaks atmosphere. Now I'm trying to come up with another game that maybe hits the same spot that is enjoyable for a viewer too. I'm thinking about another Swery game like D4 but that doesn't seem to have an ending. Best would be a game that is below the 20 hour mark since Final Fantasy VII is coming soon.

I need recommendations. Platforms are PC and PS4. Thnaks in advance.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Killer7???

It's remastered on steam and the port is great???

WOULD YOU CARE FOR A GAME OF RUSSIAN ROULETTE

OP
OP
Vitamin_B_Complex
Jan 21, 2019
Maybe Yakuza series ? Fun to play and also enjoyable to watch

Kinda burnt out since I played all of them back to back except 6. But that would be a good choice, yeah.

Definitely play The Missing.

Don't know this one, I will check it out thanks.

Killer7 would be a good choice if you haven't played it yet.

Killer7 is definitely whacky but not really interesting to watch someone play. Also I already played it. But thanks nonetheless.

if you are interested in DP2 then you should play D4. also yeah The Missing is excellent.

Is it worth playing if it will never be finished?

It's a visual novel but 428 Shibuya Scramble.

I might check it out but I don't think my wife will be interested in reading a ton of text. But I will keep it in mind for myself, thanks.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
KATAMARI DAMACY....may be a PS4 version...dunno...there is an excellent PS3 version though

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it worth playing if it will never be finished?

That's the thing. It is going to be finished. It's part of Deadly Premonition 2. Swery has basically confirmed this on twitter. They are going to meet up in some way. The apartment building from D4 is in DP2. The main character of D4 is there. Don't want to spoil D4 but I think it will be worth the time to play it.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Disaster Report 4 is right around the corner. From what I understand, it's supposed to be both weird and janky.
Was just coming here to recommend this. My copy arrived today and while playing it I just had to get dressed as a cashier clerk for a corner shop and serve customers in order to get a guy to tell me where toilet roll was hidden so another guy could leave his toilet cubicle.

And this is during a category 7 earthquake with buildings collapsing all around you.

I love the Disaster Report games.

Oct 25, 2017
Was just coming here to recommend this. My copy arrived today and while playing it I just had to get dressed as a cashier clerk for a corner shop and serve customers in order to get a guy to tell me where toilet roll was hidden so another guy could leave his toilet cubicle.

And this is during a category 7 earthquake with buildings collapsing all around you.

I love the Disaster Report games.

Ah man. I can't wait for my physical verion to arrive too. (Off topic, how wild that this game about disasters got delayed cause of the Fukushima tsunami years ago, only to drop now during covid).

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
As other have said: Perfect timing, Disaster Report 4 is literally releasing in 3 days! It has everything you want, including atrocious graphics and performance! \o/

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the missing is another game by the director of DP that i think you'll enjoy. it still has some of that twin peaks vibe going on.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As an enormous DP fan, I'm currently playing Disaster Report 2 and having an incredible time. I can't wait to catch up to the 4th entry.

As others have said, Swery's The Missing is wonderful, as is all of Suda's work.

Actually big recommendations for D4 and Spy Fiction as well. I think Spy Fiction is particularly underrated.

Last edited:

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
That's the thing. It is going to be finished. It's part of Deadly Premonition 2. Swery has basically confirmed this on twitter. They are going to meet up in some way. The apartment building from D4 is in DP2. The main character of D4 is there. Don't want to spoil D4 but I think it will be worth the time to play it.
Posted on Aprils fools?

Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking about another Swery game like D4 but that doesn't seem to have an ending.

Still a great game. You should play it next ;)

Holy shit, that would be great.

Is it a better pick than grabbing Disaster: Day of Crisis?

Unlikely ! :D

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Play D4. Even though it doesn't have an ending it's still great. And it seems like Deadly Premonition 2 might tie into D4.

And Killer7 is nothing like Deadly Premonition. Shenmue would be a better recommendation.

Last edited:

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Killer7???

It's remastered on steam and the port is great???

WOULD YOU CARE FOR A GAME OF RUSSIAN ROULETTE

God damn I love this game. I keep getting tempted to buy it on Steam, but I know that's all I'm going to do: buy it.

I really shouldn't be adding a game I've already played to death to my backlog....should I?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
cant think of anything more whacky or japanese than D4

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
If you want a weird loveable game full of charm and strange characters, you'll love Chulip.

Coverchulip.jpg

You play a boy who just moved into a new town with his newspaper reading father, and find the love of your dreams, literally. Only problem? She only just met you and doesn't like you back just yet.

kiss.gif

So you get some advice and go on a grand adventure throughout the town to make the perfect love letter for her, and in order to gain the emotional experience and maturity (hit points) to survive and succeed in your quest, you must do various tasks and figure out a bunch of puzzles in order to kiss AS MANY TOWNS FOLK AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

51e3434b4ca9aec26919c9de1ca8db68a466e492_hq.gif

It is a very silly and comfy game, despite how stressful some parts can be at lower health, and was made by the same people who did MOON and are currently a part of Onion Games. Give this game a shot if you want something interesting, with various great characters!

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Both are eccentric and quirky Japanese games that are heavily inspired by David Lynch.

From a gameplay perspective, yeah Shenmue is also quite similar to Deadly Premonition.
I'm a huge Lynch fan but I don't think Killer7 is Lynchian at all. I think Suda's games are more influenced by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Takashi Miike. Not everything surreal is Lynchian.

If we're recommending Lynchian games then Silent Hill 2 is the game to play.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda itching for it too, but might just get the Yakuza collection of 3, 4, and 5 since 4 and 5 are the only ones I have yet to finish.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Sure it's not solely Lynch. But Killer7 has direct references and nods to Lynch's work in the game.
Sure but it's not nearly as overt as Deadly Premonition and I wouldn't call Killer7 quirky either.

Also what references? I don't remember any. I know Suda's references Jodorowsky and Miike.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So LTTP but I finished DP recently and my wife an I liked it a lot. Just the right amount of Japanese whack and Twin Peaks atmosphere. Now I'm trying to come up with another game that maybe hits the same spot that is enjoyable for a viewer too. I'm thinking about another Swery game like D4 but that doesn't seem to have an ending. Best would be a game that is below the 20 hour mark since Final Fantasy VII is coming soon.

I need recommendations. Platforms are PC and PS4. Thnaks in advance.
LET IT DIE

It's a rogue like rpg with lots of weird stuff. Definitely no story and the gameplay is bad and so much grinding....ok yeah it's not the best game but the first 10h are really fun until the first big boss, you can stop after that