• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 3, 2018
This has happened to me, I just told my son I said a bad word and explained to him the best I could that he was never allowed to say it himself. Can't shield your kid from swearing so all you can do is make them understand that those words are off limits.

Until they go to school and they're saying them with their friends, obviously.

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Ooooo that's a doozy of a curse word.

Lmao, She's gonna yell it randomly OP.... you can either teach her what you did was wrong or start preparing your alibis

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Commit sudoku. It's the only way.

Being serious for a moment there are certain words that I've never felt comfortable using and never feel particularly comfortable when they are used. An ex would say faggot pretty often and she was, in hindsight, a pretty big piece of shit. I've never introduced cunt into my lexicon and I think it's subconsciously because it just feels wrong the same way the former does. I've no problem with using profanity. Stuff that's an attack on a person's existence just seems wrong though. I say this because I dont know you OP but I would not have a favorable opinion of you if I heard you say that word. Maybe it's too late for you, but you're fucking up your child's chances of being seen as a decent person as well by essentially teaching them "this is what we say when we get angry."

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Eh it's fine. Explain to her not to say it as it would make her out to be a rude person. She will hear it in a couple of years anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Don't lie to your kid... Just be honest and own up to your mistake. Kids are smarter than you think. "Yes, Daddy said X, but he shouldn't have. It's a very bad word that no one would ever use, especially in anger against another person. Even grown ups make mistakes and you should learn from Daddy's mistake."

Turn it into a teaching moment.
This is probably the best way but let's not pretend she won't squirrel that away and break it out at the most inappropriate time because "daddy said it". You're right, kids are smarter than we usually give them credit for. They learn early on how to manipulate you.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I have taught my daughter of 5-y that there are certain power words which lose their power if overused. You should save the C word for extreme moments. So even though she knows the Finnish equivalent she never says it. Except last summer when we started watching Frozen on the projector while it was dark & cloudy outside, and suddenly the sun came out, making the screen impossible to see. She asks, "dad, can I now say cunt"?

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do the malcolm in the middle thing and print a list of curse words, then make her recite them to you.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
When my son was around 5, I was driving in his daycare parking lot and a woman, driving far too quickly, swerved in front of us and I had to slam on the brakes. I said "You are a fucking cow!"

And after a pause, I heard my son say in an introspective voice, "I... am a fucking cow..."

I explained to him that he was not.

My wife and I have always taught him (he's almost 11 now) that curse words are just words, but not everyone wants to hear them, especially from kids. So he should be careful not to use them around others, particularly in public places and around adults. He's actually become pretty good at censoring himself.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh that incident has gotten me to be more aware of what I say when I get frustrated when driving. That was first and last time.

This morning I was actively being calm as I drove.
Honestly, as someone who used to be an angry nutcase while driving, it's so much better when you just relax and don't let things get to you.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Use it as a teaching moment. Explain that you said that word in anger, and that it's not a word she should use because other people will be very offended by it.

Or, ya know, resign to the fact that you doomed her life forever

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least you think about it. Most people just pass on the loud aggressive cursing genes and we get one generation of cursing frustrated loud people after the other.
Having said that, if you're a decent person otherwise, cursing can be a lot of fun. We laugh our ass off with cursing, but in a creative way. My kid knows exactly what the curse-words mean and why you can't just use them in public. But cursing can be hilarious and healing (therapeutic even, haha).
She'll pick up on those words anyway so best to inform and educate her as best as you can.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you have to ways,equally useless,either you explain to her that it's a bad word and wshe shouldn't use it, or you try to ignore that t's an important or particular word and you hope she just forgets about it instead of using it because she gets a huge reaction.

either wy they are both useless since no kid is the same and you never know what approach will have the best result, if any.

also,she would have got that from somewhere anyway, just wait till it's the moment she can be reasoned with (when she's a bit older) and put clear why she can't use those words.

Jan 28, 2018
My 4 year old brother recently started saying 'What the fuck is this?' You can imagine my expression when I heard him say it for the first time. No one knows where he picked it up from though

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is why being bilingual is amazing. Curse all you want in your native tongue, like I did this morning at the pig who stopped me over for browsing my phone at a stop light and gave me a ticket.
Distracted driving is no joke, you're holding up traffic at best. At worst you're gonna rear end the person infront of you when you look up and go "Oh shit it's green".

Swear all you want in a different language with your kid in the car, but put the phone down until you get to where you need to be.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
One of my worst "oh shit" moments in parenting was hearing my highly-precocious 3 year old through the baby monitor as he was playing in his bed after a nap -

"D E M M E T... spells damn it!"

And yeah, he'd written it out on his Magnadoodle.

He's almost 18 now, and doesn't swear up a storm. There's hope, OP.

Oct 30, 2017
When I was in 4th grade, I told a bunch of kids I was playing soccer with to "stop being a bunch of pussies" only for my brother to go "OoOoOoO Im tElLiNg MoM!" I spent the rest of that afternoon trying to convince my brother he had misheard me say "wussies." I think I got a mouth full of hand soap when I got home.

So wash that filthy mouth out, OP. Show your kid what happens when people say bad words. Also, lol at trying to reason with a 5 year old.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, happens, happened with me and my two small ones (the eldest curses enough on it's own already). We made it a game to not use the words so that the Mrs. doesn't find out.

Boy, i fear the day when those two are old enough to use that as some sort of blackmail if they don't get what they want. ^^

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope you're ready for all the kind of criminals she's bound to meet and hang out with.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Come on OP, this an insignificant problem. Just tell her that was a bad word and don't repeat it, that's it.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
But definitely keep reinforcing "can't". Make your kid feel like she's nuts.

And don't stop calling women "cunts". That's very cool (very legal) and I'm glad most others on here feels like that's completely normal save a few people who called you out on that absolutely misogynist bullshit.

Nov 26, 2018
Just be frank. Tell her you used a bad word by mistake, and you feel bad for using it now. I had to learn NOT to use those words the hard way... at school.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just stop saying "cunt".

It's one of the most offensive things you can say to or about a woman in the US.
Yep. Growing up in a house full of women, this has been my feeling all my life. It will never not be the most jarring word, no matter how much other cultures normalize it.
Probably the same way they feel when they hear "President Trump"

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, you're only human and bound to make mistake. Though she's gonna figure it out when she gets older.

If the engine is on then it counts as driving. The fact that you try to come up with nonsense excuses, even calling another poster a blue life supporter just to justify that you were hard done by.

You were in the wrong and the police officer was right to ticket you.

My profile pic is just a drawing, but yeah I needed to replace the tank, bars, exhaust, pedals and cables and a bunch of other stuff to repair her. It was a nightmare.

Edit: this is it post 1k+ in repairs-

F9-FCA8-D6-FE8-A-4027-83-FE-0-F3-BBD76-C1-AD.png

That's a cool bike.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
In a few years she'll know swear words you've never heard of and, if she's smart, know when she can and can't get away with saying them.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
My daughter came home from 1st grade – stuck up her middle finger and said "did you know this means fuck you?" I had to hide to keep from laughing – my wife a teacher handled it much better… We all survived…

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My kids have been allowed to curse from the jump and are smart enough to know inside words and outside words. My son was two when he called me a motherfucker for the first time.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm living on a different planet then ERA sometimes with some of these threads.

Oct 27, 2017
When I was in 4th grade, I told a bunch of kids I was playing soccer with to "stop being a bunch of pussies" only for my brother to go "OoOoOoO Im tElLiNg MoM!" I spent the rest of that afternoon trying to convince my brother he had misheard me say "wussies." I think I got a mouth full of hand soap when I got home.

So wash that filthy mouth out, OP. Show your kid what happens when people say bad words. Also, lol at trying to reason with a 5 year old.

That's a cute story, until you get to the child abuse. (And I realize you're joking with your "recommendation", but if your parents did that to you, then that's not cool at all.)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That's a cunt of a thing to say in front of your kid. You must feel like a right cunt right now. Its just a cunting swear word though I wouldn't worry about it. Yes I am Scottish you nosy cunt you.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I said "shit" in front of my niece twice on Saturday. I don't think she heard me but no way is my brother gonna let me babysit lol

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've honestly never cursed once in front of my kids....or anyone else for that matter.

My 5 year old (at the time) said "What the Hell?" when I had to stop quickly once, then asked what it meant. It took me a second not to laugh, then I explained it wasn't a nice thing to say. Guessing she got it from my ex-wife. Her 10 year old sister freaked out when she said it.