• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
***UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD***

The video above is what I watched. Credits to the YouTuber who made it as I thought it cut a lot of fat and did a great job summarizing all the important details in three hours.

Metal Gear Solid V and parts of Peacewalker are the only two games in the series I haven't played - perhaps I can count the first two for NES as well as it's been decades since I touched those.

I always thought the Metal Gear universe was exceptionally appealing and I did love a lot about it, but once Metal Gear Solid 4 came around, I grew to really dislike where the story headed. I attribute most of my disdain by that point to the excessively long cutscenes and exposition that game had. Not that the series wasn't known for that quality before, but 4 really was more absurd than I ever expected.

As for V and Peacewalker, although I never played them, I did look up their stories several years ago. I found both to be satisfactory and the twist with Venom Snake enjoyable.

But whenever I consumed Metal Gear narrative, I did so in isolated bursts by playing the titles far in time from one another. It never really dawned on me just how sprawling and crazier it would be to see it all it one sitting.

Well, now that I have, I'll say that this series has got to be the most narratively ambitious video game series with some of the dumbest and coolest fucking things I've ever seen. Watching a three hour video that chronicles the entire series really puts it more into perspective the ambition and thought that went into it, even if I dislike a lot of choices.

Ocelot undergoing hypnotherapy to feign Liquid's control is probably what throws the baby out with the bath water - I hate that one thing the most. I understand V tries to reinforce this technique, what with Venom undergoing something similar in order to fulfill his role, but god damn will I always dislike the execution of it with Ocelot.

On the other hand, I still think the Sons of Liberty is one of the best titles in the series for all the existential questions and role of AI and technology it brings, all of which seem relevant today. A damn shame that Solidus wasn't featured more as he was seriously a formidable foe.

What do y'all think of the series?

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man, I miss MGS.

It was my favourite series of all time. I think with the end of MGS a lot of my gaming enthusiam died. Because... no other game made me so hype like MGS.
The crazy story, the fantastic technology behind the games... everything. I just hope Death Stranding is not a turd, and has more to offer in terms of story than MGSV which was clearly mishandled by Konami.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I miss MGS.

It was my favourite series of all time. I think with the end of MGS a lot of my gaming enthusiam died. Because... no other game made me so hype like MGS.
The crazy story, the fantastic technology behind the games... everything. I just hope Death Stranding is not a turd, and has more to offer in terms of story than MGSV which was clearly mishandled by Konami.

I think part of what's made me hesitant to try V is how often it's regarded as being narratively incomplete with some of the best mechanics and gameplay in video games. The latter still hasn't sold me enough.

As for Death Stranding, I'm hoping it's good. Even if it doesn't amount to anything great, it gives me hope that it's expected to be part of a larger series of games, where if this one sucks, hopefully sequels see refinement.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS is one of my favorite series of all time. I miss it already :( Even though V story was non existent, I still had a blast with it.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I'm going to miss MGS more than any other franchise. No other series perfectly balanced complete philosophical genius with the goofiest batshit weird comedic tone. I don't think DS is going to fill the void either.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The narrative that MGS1 and 2 told still hasn't been topped imo. No other AAA series is nearly as ambitious with story and themes.

There's really nothing like it. There's a reason Kojima has the reputation he does and it seems like ERA is forgetting that recently.

I don't know why the Citizen Kane of gaming debate was even had with Bioshock and TLOU when MGS2 blew them out of the water years before already.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Favourite gaming franchise ever.

The fact Kojima never really planned out the sequels was a blessing and a curse though.

I'll take a proper and complete bumper collection any day now Konami you asshats.

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV had some of the best writing in the series. The problem is that most of it is hidden inside the optional audiotapes.
Strangelove's and Zero's tapes recontextualize so much of the whole saga(and also fix some of the faults with MGS4's explanation of the events).

I'm going to miss MGS more than any other franchise. No other series perfectly balanced complete philosophical genius with the goofiest batshit weird comedic tone. I don't think DS is going to fill the void either.
I'd rather have Death Stranding be its own thing than trying to fill the MGS void if I am being honest.
Kojima hasn't directed a non-Metal Gear game in my lifetime. I would be really disappointing if his first non-Metal Gear game in 25 years was just a Metal Gear retread.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Problem with the MG storyline is you can tell that at various points Kojima didn't want to make certain games and instead wanted to do totally new games to explore new ideas. But for whatever reason he ended up making more MG games and he sort of shoehorned and retconned these new ideas in.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing quite like it in gaming. I'm going to miss it. Wish we could get a new game with semi prime snake (SOLID!) in between mgs 1 and 2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem with the MG storyline is you can tell that at various points Kojima didn't want to make certain games and instead wanted to do totally new games to explore new ideas. But for whatever reason he ended up making more MG games and he sort of shoehorned and retconned these new ideas in.
I never quite got that impression that certain games narratively felt like they could've been a different series. Mind giving examples?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think 4 was a little over-concerned with the lore of the series, and obviously 5 didn't get finished, but other than that it's a spotless saga imo. MGS1&2 posed some interesting questions about society and humanity at a time when most devs were trying to build the most marketable mascot platformer. MGS2/3 will easily stand the test of time as two of the best action games ever made.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ocelot undergoing hypnotherapy to feign Liquid's control is probably what throws the baby out with the bath water - I hate that one thing the most. I understand V tries to reinforce this technique, what with Venom undergoing something similar in order to fulfill his role, but god damn will I always dislike the execution of it with Ocelot.

I can't remember how MGS4 handled this, but doesn't the real Liquid actually take control of Ocelot at the very end of MGS2? Actually now that I think of it, I think Ocelot ended up removing Liquid's arm after that because it was real, and then I guess he faked the rest of it for 4.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually replaying them back-to-back. This is for the benefit all of my other who has never seen them, but it is highly interested in death stranding.

I myself, have not played any of them since right when they came out. So it's quite an odyssey. They're even better than I remember.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
best gaming franchise ever imo. MGS will forever be my favorite game. If you're even just the slightest of fan you should give V a shot despite the feedback. There is plenty of story there if you're willing to listen to cassette tapes and piece some things together. Sure it didn't finish on a high note but that is the worst reason not to play it as everything else about it makes up for that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
3+ hours. Oof.

But yeah it can get kind of crazy at times. You probably get a bigger dose of it when you're not playing the game in-between.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember how MGS4 handled this, but doesn't the real Liquid actually take control of Ocelot at the very end of MGS2? Actually now that I think of it, I think Ocelot ended up removing Liquid's arm after that because it was real, and then I guess he faked the rest of it for 4.
Yeah I don't really know why people think Ocelot was faking it the whole time.

the removal of the arm is clearly supposed to hint that it actually was possessing him in MGS2 and he used that as cover to do what he did in MGS4. It's kind of a big reveal in the final fight.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah the story and some of the character beats are just batshit crazy. Even if you take out any supernatural stuff, just the geopolitical narrative is insane.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really know why people think Ocelot was faking it the whole time.

the removal of the arm is clearly supposed to hint that it actually was possessing him in MGS2 and he used that as cover to do what he did in MGS4. It's kind of a big reveal in the final fight.
The explanation was that he was never possessed - he used hypnotherapy to convince himself he was.