• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
So recently I purchased 3 Warhammer games. I pre-ordered Necromunda: Hired Gun for the Xbox Series X, bought Warhammer: Chaosbane for Xbox Series X, and Warhammer 40,000: Battle Sister for Oculus Quest 2. There is even another new Warhammer game coming out called Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground. Now I am not too familiar with the Warhammer IP. I understand that there are two main IP's the fantasy Warhammer and the sci-fi Warhammer 40,000 and that it started out as a board game. My question is which is more popular Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000? Also of one wanted to learn more about the story and lore of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 what are some websites or books to read.

Sep 29, 2019
I've always wanted to get into the Warhammer games but i'm literally so lost into what game even start from. There's so many different games, many different names, and they all look quite different from one another. It's so easy to get lost even on google

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hey OP!

I started my Warhammer 40K journey not that long ago either (March of this year)! Had no idea where to start, it all seemed impenetrable to me at the time.

But now I absolutely love this universe.

I made a thread back in March that had a ton of helpful stuff in too that I'd recommend giving a look as it really helped me:

www.resetera.com

Which Warhammer 40K games are worth playing?

I have absolutely no history with this particular franchise at all but it's always looked cool to me. I just bought Space Marine on Steam and Battle Sister on Quest 2 (it was seeing this game in the store in particular that made me want to look into the franchise) but I'm wondering what else is...

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
40k was vastly more popular, then Total War Warhammer came out just as they killed the Fantasy tabletop game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Also, while I still haven't played Mechanicus yet, any excuse to drop this outstanding theme:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
There are, but I've never found any that scratched my itch quite like the Dawn of War series.

Sep 29, 2019
Also, if anyone that is aware maybe can answer this: Are the stories of ALL games connected to one another, if so, how? Or are the games (example, Mechanicus vs Space Marine) standalone stories, in the same universe?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
As I understand it they are very lax in licensing their property to use which is why you see so many WH games.

I get that some people will think you should protect your IP, but it has worked out well for sure.

Sure, you get your stinkers now and then, but you had other great games that you would have never gotten had the IP been more restrictive. Plus, you get other people into the universe. I guarantee you Total Warhammer brought new fans into the universe.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The games have modest budgets and rarely are terrible but they have a large enough built-in fandom that buys all these games that they seem to be safe bets for everyone involved.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it they are very lax in licensing their property to use which is why you see so many WH games.

I get that some people will think you should protect your IP, but it has worked out well for sure.

Sure, you get your stinkers now and then, but you had other great games that you would have never gotten had the IP been more restrictive. Plus, you get other people into the universe. I guarantee you Total Warhammer brought new fans into the universe.
up until the original THQ died in 2011 they were literally the only company that had a warhammer 40k license then it just went hogwild