• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
CcU5PRlW4AAv3Jg.jpg
The blue stickers lol. I think he looks okay, not terrible. I do prefer his Smash look a bit more like some others here.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I don't get the hate either. Capcom is just continuing the tradition of making Ken ugly in every single game he appears in.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is some selfie instagram angle bullshit lol
vFusdz8.png

Like, what's wrong with this face or design exactly?

IMO most of Ken's problems are due to poor facial animation (outside of gameplay) and the poses chosen for the character select screen and his intro cut-scene. Well and the hair obviously, although it kinda looks fine to me from gameplay angles. I think his facial rigging is kinda busted in general.

NyPcGin.png

But both the character model and his design are solid...outside of the technical issues I mentioned. Too bad Capcom isn't interested in fixing this guy. Just replacing his stupid-ass CSS pose would do a lot.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Ken is a victim of bad lighting and posture in the select screen. Ken isn't the only character to suffer from this: see Ibuki's win pose without her mask. The way she smiles and cranes her neck look oh-so off.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the main, very glaring problem with modern Street Fighter in general is that they've not been able to completely translate the series' core aestethic to 3d, and that they're still failing to find a good looking artstyle fitting the graphic engine they're using.

Like, from SFIV on they tried really hard to capture that original SFII style, the over-the-top bulky bodies, the giant hands and feets, the comic book-esque faces, but honestly, some of that stuff just looks freaking horrifying outside of 2d sprites, even though they tried to stylize the game with some kind of color shading.
SFV surely improved on that front, it's not ugly overall, but it's still kind of an inconsistent looking game, there's some beautiful stuff like the amazing animations, a bunch of amazingly modelled stages and characters, but also a lot of questionable and not so good ones.

Overall, they should really, really tone down all that freaking goofiness and grotesqueness, because the new games have lost a lot of the charm and coolness of the original series.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You can't say Street Fighter 2 Ken was ugly because Street Fighter 2 was going for the Fist of the North Star / classic JoJo's Bizarre Adventure look. Ugly was the style.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
his design is fine, his the modeling on his face and hair is uh... not bueno in a lot of cases

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Best playing Ken in the series even if he has to do a bunch of fake stuff to win. His CPT costume is the best look.

1tTs8oU.png

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the face and hair OP

Am I the only who thinks Ken looks awful here?

You're not the only one

What about that that 18 million drop off in sales from Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 3? I guess Third Strike must have really looked like shit with your logic.

Don't bother, he brings this up every time SFV Ken's the topic (while conveniently ignoring that SF4 Ken was ugly af as well)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I mean he looks fine during gameplay (well, except for that one hairstyle. You know the one), but he seems to always look goofy in the character select screen for sure.

I don't think he looks as bad as folks make it sound (in-game he looks perfectly fine), but this is still hilarious

ken-974c6.png

This is always funny Every time it gets me

lmao

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Ken decided to stop copying Ryu and to start taking fashion tips from the superior main character of a fighting game franchise, Ryo Sakazaki.
ryo-mrkarate-fatalfury-wildambition-full-artwork.jpg

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
He does not look like Ken. Obviously he has gone through many revisions but he always had a certain look to him that is nothing like he looks in SFV. Obviously he looks terrible in SFIV but so does damn near everyone. In SFV there are some really fantastic character models and his face just doesn't match the quality of others.