• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Something I'm noticing on Facebook and Twitter is people introducing their kids to Star Wars and doing it via the prequels.

oh I know. Why not try the originals first? Hide the prequels from the kids! In my case, my kid got bored of the OT while watching it. But he loves the Sequel trilogy and I think he would love the prequels. Hell he may even like Jar Jar. Maybe.

BUT HOLY FUCK. When I mentioned this on social media I got bombarded with "MY KID ONLY LIKES THE OT", "MY KID WANTS THE ORIGINAL CUTS".

That's great. But let's talk...

This is a larger problem parents have to deal with and that problem is: STOP MAKING YOUR CHILD'S MINOR ASS CHOICES A STATUS SYMBOL. That's great that little Lily hates candy and loves broccoli. That's fantastic that your kid loves to listen to Bach and discovered it on their own. Yes my kid watches YouTube and yours has to fight to be brought inside. That's great. And yeah, your kids only want to watch the first two seasons of G1 Transformers and refuses to touch the Bay films. Weird flex but aight.

STOP OBNOXIOUSLY COMPARING OUR KIDS OVER THE SMALLEST THING LIKE A MOVIE CHOICE TO A LARGER THING LIKE HEALTH.

It's like parents are so desperate for other parents to acknowledge their child's superiority and when they're too young to save lives or conduct a suite, you have to just fluff up everything. Even minor shit like their choices in movies.

PS, a bigger and shittier flex: my son's autistic. That's great that your kid skipped a grade and is doing college shit in grade six, but did your punk ass have to tell me that immediately after I tell you my son is 11 and can't tie his shoes?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this reminds me of those kids whose parents buy them jordans since their a baby just because they like jordans themselves.
buy that damn kid some lite up shoes man

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My 6-year-old son beat Link's Awakening on his own last weekend.

He also enjoys listening to The Smoking Popes.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
There seems to be a lot to unpack here as the post goes on. I hope things get better OP.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Parents projecting themselves on to their kids is pretty common. Yeah it's annoying but it's social media so you can just put them on the ignore list or turn off notifications for them

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My dog only likes the Star Wars Holiday Special. She couldn't sit through any of the other films.

I don't have kids.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
My dog only likes the Star Wars Holiday Special. She couldn't sit through any of the other films.

I don't have kids.
giphy.gif

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If my future 4-year old cant articulate why Luke's character was assassinated in TLJ I'm returning them and getting a new one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Social media is a weird thing. My Facebook is filled with only close friends, family, and co-workers, and these people should genuinely care about the things my kids are doing. But on the other hand, everyone has been conditioned to assume everything is a stealth brag. So when I post "My daughter won first place in the State Robotics tournament!" is that a PSA or a brag? Both? Who knows?

So maybe the other parents are bragging, or only bragging, and merely sharing facts about their kids?

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I used to see a poster on a local forum that I frequent claim to have trained his 1 year-old son on watching Man of Steel and everything Snyder related lol. Make me crack up every time I remember him.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Suddenly I'm reminded of the guy on the old forum who asked if he should introduce his son to video games by limiting him to one generation at a time chronologically. Starting from the NES.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 18-month-old son prefers book-Lord of the Rings to the movies because he felt the cuts, even the minor ones, took away the tale's je-ne-sais-quoi.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
my child will never watch star wars. or mcu. kid will only watch the top movies of the criterion collection.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If my future 4-year old cant articulate why Luke's character was assassinated in TLJ I'm returning them and getting a new one.
"Star Wars ruined my childhood, but don't worry son, i'm not gonna let that happen to you. i'm gonna ruin yours right now!"

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
The other day my daughter pointed at a Lego statue of Darth Maul and called him Kylo Ren. I corrected her and she shrugged it off saying "They're the same"... I have failed as a parent.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was against the thread but now that I know it's about parents hiding the prequels and feeling superior, I'm fully on your side OP.

The prequels are fun for most kids. Let them see all of Star Wars before forcing your views on them.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My son thinks that the MCU is not cinema and it's just a big pile of colorful doo-doo.

Also his first words were "Release the Snyder cut!!".

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I hate socializing with other parents at kids programs more, because you can't avoid them there.

"How do the babies sleep?"
"Poorly right now. It's a rough patch."
"Oh, my Timmy slept through the night no issues from 6 months."
"Ok"

Sometimes I give my daughter (who's 2) a pacifier after swimming class, because it's a late class and she gets tired.

"Oh? She still has a pacifier?"
"When she's tired, yes."
"My Timmy never had one and my oldest gave it up at 1 year"
"Ok"

I'd love to meet some normal ass parents sometimes who don't constantly need to lie or comment on every fucking parenting choice. It drives me nuts.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Report these parents and their weak ass kids to child services, OP. If you're not feeding your child Tarkovsky and Kurosawa from at least 4 years old, you might as well be condemning them to a life of glass bones.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
PS, a bigger and shittier flex: my son's autistic. That's great that your kid skipped a grade and is doing college shit in grade six, but did your punk ass have to tell me that immediately after I tell you my son is 11 and can't tie his shoes?

with that context it is super shitty of those people

otherwise it is just people doing the norm on social media trying to brag or amplify themselves and their opinion but projecting with their kids

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
My first Star Wars was Empire Strikes Back (original VHS release) borrowed from a library, so there