• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He's the shittiest 'villian' I've ever seen in a movie. Absolutely no screen presence or feeling of threat at all.
Instead I see vulnerability, like he looked generally unnerved having to deal with the Praotorian guards and it added a lot of suspense, and like Rey the audience may have fallen for his chance at humanity. Such a cool scene.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you said "who he knows" tread him like shit ... not "from his perspective" thinks they treated him like shit. Big difference.

You like to bullshit for the sake of bullshitting.

Yes or no? Did he hate his parents?

My entire post was framed from his perspective. We know Luke is not a mass murdering uncle. We see two versions of that story. Perspective is implied and I provided enough context to make it clear whose I was using to describe his arc

Oct 26, 2017
Part of me hopes he realizes the error of his ways right as it's too late to rectify it, and he goes out ungracefully, bitter with remorse.

This is a possibility , I think. All of these characters are coming to realization, some far sooner than he is so I think he gets his turn, yes. He lacks emotional intelligence so it would be cool to see him last to the party , just as it's wrapping up too :)

Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about? It's a pretty big distinction. Knows/believes .. important difference. If your post was about how Kylo sees thiing that's fine .. but you wrote it in way to suggest it's an objective fact that Ben was raised by shitty parents. You got thin skin, dude

Nah, dude. I don't. You have poor reading comprehension and presented a straw man turning the conversation away from Kylo, the subject of my post, and making it about Leia and Han, who in TFA express regret and remorse over the way they raised him, a fact you are missing for the sake of "objectivity".

You don't murder your dad because you think he was a good parent. You are going on about objectivity when the entire conflict presented in this new trilogy all boils down to difference in perception . We know who perceived Han and Leia as shit parents . It was the guy who lunged his saber into his dad.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
A curve ball was tossed at the audience concerning Kylo in TLJ

There was a chance of Kylo going Grey, but then just veers more evil with not much of an evolution.

Kylo is more and more just Anakin psycho

Half way he pauses and holds back because he felt his mother but later at the end he forgets that and just goes a-wall

Apr 21, 2018
When he keeps his mask on he's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

I just think not knowing what he looks like beneath the mask, knowing we would eventually see, is a powerful level of suspense. They blew the load pathway through the first movie.

That and blowing up 5 planets, a travesty so huge I don't know what enemy threat could even come close, I just have no weight in the events in these films.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They are going to turn this trilogy into an Avengers origin story. Gonna end up redeemed. Thanos is Palpy.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, dude. I don't. You have poor reading comprehension and presented a straw man turning the conversation away from Kylo, the subject of my post, and making it about Leia and Han, who in TFA express regret and remorse over the way they raised him, a fact you are missing for the sake of "objectivity".

Yea, ya do. I was having a friendly conversation with you and you lost your shit because I didn't wet myself over your Kylo breakdown. No one set up a straw man. Like I said, thin ass skin

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, ya do. I was having a friendly conversation with you and you lost your shit because I didn't wet myself over your Kylo breakdown. No one set up a straw man. Like I said, thin ass skin

lol at you admitting you're purposely playing contrarian. We get it. You need people to wet themselves over you.

Arm chair psychiatry is easy.

Oct 28, 2017
lol at you admitting you're purposely playing contrarian. We get it. You need people to wet themselves over you.

Arm chair psychiatry is easy.

Wasn't being purposely contrarian. I said like one thing about what you said about Kylo and his parents. Then you proceeded to tell me that I just like to talk bullshit. Then you told me I have poor reading comprehension. Then you told me I was deliberately making straw man arguments. All because I didn't agree with the framing of what you said.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people always talk about TLJ as if the trilogy is over? The last movie can answer tons of complaints and answers everyone thinks they should already know. Not talking about the OPs question specifically.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that annoys me the most about Kylo in TLJ is that so much of his story (and others) is just straight up told to the audience instead of shown.

We're not shown why Luke feels the need to murder a teenager. We're just told that he had a bad dream and then tried to do it.

We're not shown how Snoke corrupted Kylo. We're just told "yeah Snoke corrupted him right under Luke's nose from across the galaxy! (but also snoke is irrelevant expectations subverted.")

We're not shown why Kylo has to murder all of his classmates. Just kinda told "well hes evil now hes gotta murder his friends yeah"

The more I've thought about it I'm actually OK with Luke becoming the failure that he is in TLJ. I just don't think the motivation was well developed. If we got a concrete demonstration of why Luke succumbed to the temptation to murder a child and drew his weapon then it would be different.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The temper tantrums were laughably bad.

I laughed out loud. I mean, was that the intent? To make people laugh at how childish the movie's star villain was?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The temper tantrums were laughably bad.

I laughed out loud. I mean, was that the intent? To make people laugh at how childish the movie's star villain was?
I mean I laughed at it in a "lol sad manchild" way but that's one of the things I enjoy about Kylo. Not all villains are calm, collected masterminds. Some of them are spiteful babies. And it's pretty great to watch 'em get stunted on.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
He's a decent-good character but a bad villain imo. Well him and the First Order. It's not going feel impactful when they finally get done in nor do they have any presence. He comes off as a Starscream whose biggest accomplishments are backstabbing and who helps set up an actual threat.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
He's a decent-good character but a bad villain imo. Well him and the First Order. It's not going feel impactful when they finally get done in nor do they have any presence. He comes off as a Starscream whose biggest accomplishments are backstabbing and who helps set up an actual threat.
Pretty much. Kylo Ren is one of the best characters of the new films but he never feels threatening. So far, Hux comes off as a better villain. Hux. The guy who had to sit through that terrible prank call.

I think the danger quotient is pretty apparent even when they're played for comedy.
Nope. At the end of the day, he just comes across like a brat. It may be possible to make a brat look dangerous, but Kylo Ren doesn't have that.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
He's easily the most interesting character in the new ST but yeah... I have no clue what his trajectory is or where he'll end up or what his goal is... it's a loosely defined "he's trying to find himself," similar to Rey... but beyond that, no clue where they want to go besides Rey vs Kylo.

With no Snoke, and Palpatine coming back, Kylo might not even be the final villain either..

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Kylo Ren is one of the best characters of the new films but he never feels threatening. So far, Hux comes off as a better villain. Hux. The guy who had to sit through that terrible prank call.

Nope. At the end of the day, he just comes across like a brat. It may be possible to make a brat look dangerous, but Kylo Ren doesn't have that.

Well, I disagree, but such is subjectivity.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Joffrey is one of the greatest villians of all time and he was just a brat. (Not that is all Kylo is...) Considering he's now supreme leader I see him turning into the Caligula type.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
you have misinterpreted not only that scene where he kills snoke, but literally every single scene with a sith in the series. sith are not "badass". by their nature they are pathetic and fearful.

he didn't embrace the dark side, he just decided he didn't care about anything anymore.

the entire point of kylo ren is that he is not cool. he is not badass. he is desperately trying to be, but the evil heroes he looks up to are empty and hollow. they are not people to aspire to, they are just symbols of human weakness. they will never bring him the peace he wants. on some level he understands this, but he only uses it as an excuse to be more shitty.

he tries to instead reach out to rey, and manipulate her into thinking he's the only one who can understand her, because he doesn't know how to deal with the loneliness and emptiness he feels. he's trying to use her, because he's so laser focused on his own feelings he cant see the bigger picture.

as for what makes him dangerous; he is lashing out in all directions. nothing is more dangerous than aimless, unprincipled evil.

if you look more closely you will see what a blatantly obvious metaphor his character is.

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
While the 'incel-esque guy who lashes out because he feels lost' actually makes for an interesting character, I think the problem is that it makes for a better rival character than the Big Bad.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
While the 'incel-esque guy who lashes out because he feels lost' actually makes for an interesting character, I think the problem is that it makes for a better rival character than the Big Bad.
Snoke is more a classic big bad archetype. Voldermort crossed with Palpatine... but they shouldn't do that more traditional dynamic again. It seems to be a smart decision.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
First this is not a TLJ hate thread. I don't love the movie, but I don't hate it. I been in a really Star Wars mood of late and I been re-watching the movies. Kylo Ren as a character is confusing to me and to me they miss the boat on making him a legit threat going into Episode 9. I thought of all the things in TLJ they got wrong he wasn't one till the last 30 minutes of them movie. I love that he embrace the Dark side and killed Snoke. As much as a badass Vader is, he was an underling and Kylo decide he was going to be above that. Then the last 30 mins made him look like big man-child and a fool. He doesn't look like a threat or he can lead an army. I'm not looking forward to Rey Vs Kylo in EP9 because I have no doubt she will beat his ass. He went for fake Vader to something that can be a bigger threat then Vader to man-child.

Vader stopped being an underling when he threw his master down a pit. They both killed their masters.

remains to be seen if Vader succeeded

how does the last 30 minutes of TLJ make him look like a big man-child when the he throws like 2 temper tantrums on TFA

he was always a manchild

Yup, he was a manchild in both flicks, that's why I'd refrain from saying he had any "development" as a character.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vader stopped being an underling when he threw his master down a pit. They both killed their masters.

remains to be seen if Vader succeeded

Yup, he was a manchild in both flicks, that's why I'd refrain from saying he had any "development" as a character.

dont you get tired of saying stupid things?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does every TLJ thread have to be a TLJ thread?

fvs9Tmy.jpg

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
My dream is that Kylo breaks off from the First Order and creates a third power with the Knights of Ren. After TLJ I can't imagine him and Hux working together, there has to be a conflict between them.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Being unstable and the first or second most powerful character establishes him as a threat to me. He feels his hand is forced, and now he's probably going to call his brothers to beat people up.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
My dream is that Kylo breaks off from the First Order and creates a third power with the Knights of Ren. After TLJ I can't imagine him and Hux working together, there has to be a conflict between them.
I really really want to see Hux try and get in Kylo's way. He's such a snake. Don't even care if he immediately gets nixed for it, it just feels so right after all the little passive aggressive shit between them. That part in TLJ where he sees Kylo passed out and immediately goes for his blaster cracked me up cause a little shit like Hux would totally do that. That could provide an interesting subplot in IX.

Status
Not open for further replies.