• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I fucking tip pverseaa like a cliche American. What? The bartenders all seemed to appreciate it, they tell me so unlike like in America where it's expected. So, WTF are all the overseas tipping experts liars? These people want a tip even though they don't act like it. Also, don't be so quick to fuck off after giving me change, maybe I'll tip. But, if you throw me change and don't look back don't expect a tip.

Berlin danke. One more day then we'll see how the Czech appreciate tips.

I don't give a fuck! I tip when I want to. I will tip anyone who brings the food I ordered to my door. I will tip the taxi driver who would have drove me home for nothing because I get him his regular coffee for free, and I will tip good service at a restaurant.

None of that is expected of me. My tip will go straight to the guy's/gal's wallet. It is not a substitution for fucked up wages. I'm actually giving them an extra, not something they count on to keep living their life.

And yes, It does give me something in return too. I feel good about giving the great server a 20€ on top. And hey, if they come down to my business they might just leave a tip on their own, even for a lowly convenience shop owner, or my personal.

Dude, I don't give a fuck! :/

Edit: I receive "tips" in maybe tens of cents, maybe 1€, daily. It's the thought that counts for me.

When a customer, for me, considers giving a tip, or for me to just keep the change, that's a signal I did my job right. It's an endorsement.

I have people coming to my shop ONLY when I am there. That's worth a lot to me personally. Much more than the beer I could have bought from your tip.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying that? I'm just talking about the situation as it is now. Nurses recently went on strike for better working conditions and I support them. Waitstaff aren't organized in that way. Yeah I think they should make more money and tipping shouldn't be a thing anymore.

Yeah you got me, I totally only care about waiters, which you inferred from??? Anyway you're a shitty troll, you're on my ignore list.

No, what I find ludicrous is that you're presenting your position of not tipping as somehow progressive, as if you're helping the system to change while eating out and not tipping. Come off it, you're just cheap, don't use excuses. It's shitty moral grandstanding.

I need to put this thread on ignore, this is the worst.

See. Wouldn't be a problem when you get paid what you deserve and not live by tips, right? :) He is absolutely right. Tips are for doing an exceptional job with great service and not for doing...your job. It's the whole reason that getting services at all in America always feels so fake. They do it because if they don't they can't expect a great tip and not because most of them want to do a good job.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I tip anything but awful service.

If I'm staying at the bar for a while and the bartender is cool, I'll buy them a drink (that's the way you tip UK bartenders, btw, it's a polite way to say "here's some money").

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I live in Europe and everywhere I've been to it's the norm to tip, so what are you all talking about lol

It's not mandatory like in the US (which is fucking weird) but you always leave a couple of Euros to pay nice round amount 🤷

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of misconceptions in this thread and in the op. Tipping isn't frowned upon or anything. It's just that it isn't a mandatory social convention.

Most waiters aren't rich or anything but they can absolutely get paid more than a lot of medium income jobs. Therefore it just doesn't make much sense for a lot of people. However, the tipping culture is still there and a lot of people do leave tip. It's just not the case that everybody does it all the time.

Oct 26, 2017
lol, yeah they do. You think waiters make beaucoup bucks anywhere? They don't get poverty wages in Europe but it's not a honey pot. Tip your waiter, wherever you are.
I live in America so I tip 20%. But if I get terrible service, they only get 15%. I'm also an idiot. Don't be like me. Don't tip for bad service and don't tip an outlandishly high amount like 20% as a standard.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Most places I've been to here in Germany share the tip across kitchen, bar and wait staff. They all get a percentage.

But againg, that's money straight to their pocket at the end of a night. It's not a mechanism expected to make up for their below minimum wage pay.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Who exactly told you we don't tip outside the US?

Pretty sure the argument is apparent mandatory tipping vs. rewarding good service.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks OP for your unashamed bravery and courage, what would we us Europeans do without your free money.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I was always thankful for tips when I got them - but I never expected them or worried about them when I was working in food because well... I was paid $23/h to prepare, pack and deliver food and wasn't relying on others generosity and social shaming to survive.
This right here. I know it's not going to change anyone's mind, but stop and think about this, but no one in, what many of you all consider the greatest country in the world, should have to rely on the generosity of others and social shaming to survive. Restaurant owners should have to pay a living wage(as well as every other business owner) or not be in business. Restaurants on the west coast seem to survive paying normal wages and not relying on tips. There is no excuse for this not to happen everywhere. Again, save me the I make more than x amount of dollars per hour with tips argument, because that is not the norm for the majority on every shift.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The fact that workers are rejecting no-tip restaurants still makes it seem like y'all are suckers being taken for a ride. Just by the wait staff instead of the restaurants.

Absolutely not.

Those of us who who are good at our job know we make far more money from tips than whatever shit pay the owners would try and throw at us. Not to mention you're service at restaurants would go to shit because people like us wouldn't be working there anymore.

It is a lose-lose for everyone. Especially those of us who rely on it to pay bills.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm speaking from the perspective of being in the US. OP was speaking more about being in other countries, but I feel like to conversation has devolved from that. I can't speak for other counties because I don't live there and don't know there culture.

Last edited:

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
It's like you don't have a grasp on the idea all people are different, regardless of what the culture is in their country, they don't have to conform to an ideal set by others. Also people like free money all over the world, its not difficult to comprehend is it?

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been a waiter for a long time. It's shitty, hard, often thankless work, for not a lot of money, the amount of emotional labor required is immense, and they're almost always understaffed. You can make your waiter's day by not being a cheapskate and giving a tip. If you can afford to eat out, you can afford to tip.

You're not helping to change the system by not tipping, you're just being an asshole.

I'm sorry, but you systematically misunerstood your job.
Your job was to provide a service. TO YOUR EMPLOYER.

Noone eating or drinking at your establishment was responsible for your pay, your work environment or your health insurance.

A tip should be telling you, you're doing your job well, no matter how much it is. It's the thought that counts!

It IS a job that is often thankless and crushing personally. I will never debate that.
It is still not a good way to push responsibilities on your customers, or, service-desert Germany beware, give them the side eye for not giving you a tip!

I've had to deal with drunk guys, guys on exstacy, guys on kokain, or all of the above. Any one of these fuckers would want to "talk to the manager" when I threw 'em out .

I had one guy calling the police on me because I punched him after he stabbed me in the arm!

And I make minimum wage! The German term "Trinkgeld" was a literal in some months.

It's still a good experience when a guy, fucked up on monday, still has a smile for you, a tip is an extra endorsement.

A tip tells me you appreciate me getting you your water, instead of having you looking for it for 5 minutes. A tip let's me know you appreciate a guy who is trying to get you a taxi at 4:00 in the morning. A tip let's me know you trust me to give you your correct change when you've had 10 beers and 2 bottles of vodka.

You coming back and telling me "Thank you" because I stopped seeling you booze when you were shitfaced drunk last weekend, means a lot to me. That's often my tip. People LIKE to come back. And they leave their change. It's the thought that counts.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I tip here in Scotland just not to level it's expected in US. A tip is a bonus for good service here, I'm not making up part of their salary.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Absolutely not.

Those of us who who are good at our job know we make far more money from tips than whatever shit pay the owners would try and throw at us. Not to mention you're service at restaurants would go to shit because people like us wouldn't be working there anymore.

It is a lose-lose for everyone. Especially those of us who rely on it to pay bills.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm speaking from the perspective of being in the US. OP was speaking more about being in other countries, but I feel like to conversation has devolved from that. I can't speak for other counties because I don't live there and don't know there culture.

Now, just for a minute, imagine: You were paid at least minimum wage and any tip you got went straight to your pocket (sharing procentuallty) without tax.

Would you still EXPECT a tip, no matter your level of service? Its just a flat tax on eating out?

"If you can't pay 20-30% tip you can't ever eat out."

That is grade A bullshit. I can eat out if I can aford the menu. Nothing else!

Your servers wages is YOUR problem. Not mine as a customer.

If you are running a restaurant in the US right now: You're a shit. Pay these hard-working people a fair wage. Otherwise you don't deserve to own a business. Get the fuck out!

You people need a Gordon Ramsay instead of an "invisible hand".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I like when Americans tip me at my hotel because they don't know how to convert money and usually just put a bunch of pounds in my hand and say "Um... here, have whatever this is." I end up with like three times my hourly pay from 5 mins of helping two people sometimes.

Australians never tip though. But it may just be the specific Australian tour service we use. Celebs always give you £20 notes for next to nothing, which I can never figure out if it's condescending or not.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I don't like the whole system, but lacking the power to change things I'm not about to punish servers for it, so I tip.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
syDCyH.gif
Always tip and always will

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My tip is usually just "keep the change" if it's like a couple quid, though I pretty much never go out to eat or drink. Most just to delivery people, taxis or Bus drivers if I just want to immediately go.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I've spent my entire life not tipping in the UK, Europe and parts of Asia, why should I change my habits just because you live in a broken system?

If the system can't survive paying its workers minimum wage, let it come crashing down. Whatever rises from the ashes will be a better, fairer system.

The same reason Americans need to change their habits when visiting Asia and not tip - it's the local custom. In the US you're supposed to tip and you're an asshole if you don't. Just because you've lived in countries with different tipping customs doesn't mean it's cool to do something considered rude when visiting another country just because it's what you're used to.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The big difference here is that whether you tip or not doesn't determine if the person makes a proper wage that day or not. It's literally just you showing appreciation for good service. It doesn't ultimately matter the way it does in the US, where the employer gets away with bullshit like factoring tips into the wage. That's the issue here, not whether people "like getting tips". Everyone and their grandmother likes getting free money.
If I feel the waiter does a good job, if the coffee is great and the place is generally run well, yeah, I'll tip them.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Americans spreading their bullshit to other countries, smh. A tip should have always been for appreciation of good service. Now it's just a tacked on "optional but not really optional" service charge. Just throw 15%, 20%, 30% or whatever the fuck it is you want on the bill and stop playing games. Everyone knows even if you tip 5% because you had awful service, the server will always think they did nothing wrong and you just end up screwing yourself over if you come back.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it kind of is.

I don't know where Americans got the idea that they invented tipping and nobody else does it. Tipping 10% is quite common for quality service in European countries. The difference is that it isn't mandatory and isn't making up the difference between a sub-minimum and liveable wage.

I went to Germany and Norway last time I left America. In Germany we saw people tipping for services and we tipped when it was good.

But when I went to Norway to visit family, we went to a pretty nice restaurant and got great service, so we tried to tip for the service, the waiter got all strange and refused to take it.

I think it's just odd when people won't accept it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I went to Germany and Norway last time I left America. In Germany we saw people tipping for services and we tipped when it was good.

But when I went to Norway to visit family, we went to a pretty nice restaurant and got great service, so we tried to tip for the service, the waiter got all strange and refused to take it.

Norway has good pay and strong unions, and tips are not expected, although I have tipped there when service was amazing. Not sure how it is in Germany.

The best way is to Google the custom of the country you're visiting, and if you're with locals follow their lead.

I'm from the UK and I did a customer service job where tips are not expected, working at a petrol station. Occasionally, if I helped someone fix their car or helped them find their way (this was before smartphones) they'd give me a couple of pounds. It was nice, but also felt quite patronising. Also I wasn't allowed to accept tips. I still did though!

My general rule is tip for food when they bring the bill. If you pay first, no tip. This means food delivery drivers have moved from the tip zone to the no-tip zone because I always pay online instead of cash. I hope they get some of the delivery charge that gets added on Just Eat. Also if I'm in a good mood and I have a quid or two laying around I give them that, but they definitely don't expect it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't seem to realize most of the metro areas in the US do have higher minimum wages and no tip credit. I still tip well for good service, and 10% for decent. I have never had service so bad that's entirely on the sever I would not leave a tip (usually the biggest issues are food issues and that's on the chef), but if it happened yeah I'd not leave a tip.

I also kind of doubt servers in Europe are making like 50+ grand a year or something without any tips. Meanwhile there are servers in the US if they have the right gig who can make double that. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't tip them. They are hustling their ass off for that money.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I wasn't even allowed to in Germany and would have lost my job if it got out that I took a tip.

Norway has good pay and strong unions, and tips are not expected, although I have tipped there when service was amazing. Not sure how it is in Germany.

The best way is to Google the custom of the country you're visiting, and if you're with locals follow their lead.

I'm from the UK and I did a customer service job where tips are not expected, working at a petrol station. Occasionally, if I helped someone fix their car or helped them find their way (this was before smartphones) they'd give me a couple of pounds. It was nice, but also felt quite patronising. Also I wasn't allowed to accept tips. I still did though!

My general rule is tip for food when they bring the bill. If you pay first, no tip. This means food delivery drivers have moved from the tip zone to the no-tip zone because I always pay online instead of cash. I hope they get some of the delivery charge that gets added on Just Eat. Also if I'm in a good mood and I have a quid or two laying around I give them that, but they definitely don't expect it.

Some apps allow you to give a tip through the app. DON'T DO THAT. People get even less money and their bosses take it all. Give them money directly.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
OP people who work in jobs like bartender, barber, etc like tips in Europe but the diff is that these people don't rely on tips as their wage to live, since they are already paid a wage, so it's a tip for doing work you may have liked or just because you like the person or whatever reason you have. This is why tipping is not expected the same way, but it is still appreciated. And not all places accept will even accept tips. Even minimum wage is much higher than in the U.S, and a lot of European countries it's also set by unions on on top of it, so many companies don't even comply to the legal minimum wage but by unions. This is why tips work as they are intended, appreciation and a bonus, not sustenance.

again consider things like welfare like healthcare, people don't need to struggle and worry about so much even when you work minimum wage.

As a german myself I tip when I like the service, that's how it's supposed to work. got something delivered by DHL for e.g? usually whatever I ordered if it doesn't go into my briefkasten, they deliver to the curb unless it has been paid already as part of the deal to have them deliver it directly into my apartment, then I will ask the DHL delivery people/person hey can you bring it up to my apartment (like a new tv) and I tip them each € 5-10 if two people helped carry it or w/e. why? they are going out of their normal work responsibility, a further step, and they are compensated for this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, I fucking tip pverseaa like a cliche American. What? The bartenders all seemed to appreciate it, they tell me so unlike like in America where it's expected. So, WTF are all the overseas tipping experts liars? These people want a tip even though they don't act like it. Also, don't be so quick to fuck off after giving me change, maybe I'll tip. But, if you throw me change and don't look back don't expect a tip.

Berlin danke. One more day then we'll see how the Czech appreciate tips.
It's almost as if, when tipping isnt enforced societally, the people actually appreciate your...oh what's the word? Ah yes, gratuity!
When it IS forced, the meaning is lost and people just bitch that you did, didnt, or didnt tip enough. You should have done a poll and asked them if they CARE WHEN THEY DONT.

Just to clarify, I tip when the service is even mediocre but yeah, when it sucks, I am not obligated by any means to pay someone else's wages because the law and workforce havent gotten their shit together. I also currently work in a restaurant.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The same reason Americans need to change their habits when visiting Asia and not tip - it's the local custom. In the US you're supposed to tip and you're an asshole if you don't. Just because you've lived in countries with different tipping customs doesn't mean it's cool to do something considered rude when visiting another country just because it's what you're used to.
Lol, america becomes more fucked up and stupid everyday. Please dont ask foreigners to mimic us when they visit. We have enough assholes already.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Now, just for a minute, imagine: You were paid at least minimum wage and any tip you got went straight to your pocket (sharing procentuallty) without tax.

Would you still EXPECT a tip, no matter your level of service? Its just a flat tax on eating out?

"If you can't pay 20-30% tip you can't ever eat out."

That is grade A bullshit. I can eat out if I can aford the menu. Nothing else!

Your servers wages is YOUR problem. Not mine as a customer.

If you are running a restaurant in the US right now: You're a shit. Pay these hard-working people a fair wage. Otherwise you don't deserve to own a business. Get the fuck out!

You people need a Gordon Ramsay instead of an "invisible hand".

we are not asking for wages to be increased, i don't know where you're pulling that from. they are fine where they are, and you're tips actually earn us more money, so we want things to stay exactly where they are. plus, 15% is just fine, you're exaggerating with the 30% there so slow down and take a breath, no one is expecting that much of a tip.

additionally, if we did things you're way, in the US at least, you can absolutely expect prices across all menus to go up, and there's you're precious $5 you just have to save because you think you can't live without it and your waiter doesn't deserve it.

oh and you can expect really shit service too because those who are good at these jobs and go above and beyond to make your restaurant experience exceptional will all quit

how is any of that helping you as the customer? keeping tipping culture the way it is now is exactly what we all should want. you deciding to not tip is simply you not playing ball because you want to be cheap.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how the rest of the world manages just fine without this culture, while Americans act like without this tipping culture stuff it'd be a restaurant apocalypse, with servers treating people like shit, food too expensive to buy and millions out of jobs.