• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, maybe I was being hyperbolic a bit.

But in all honesty, the current state of Destiny makes me very upset. And it breaks my heart a lot to see Bungie to waste the greatest potential they have in their hands.
They've been wasting Destiny's potential for awhile, so I know how you feel. I thought that the first game was a sort of beta or prototype for what would be "the real thing" with the sequel, and I could not have been more wrong. Regression instead of progress. It's quite sad to see. Maybe one day, Destiny fans will get the game they deserve, but that day is not today.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Fine. Leave me to suffer in silence, then
If your suffering is truly that extreme, see a therapist or other mental health professional.

People have repeatedly given you this advice before and you've apparently ignored it before in favor of more threads with content that you yourself have admitted is hyperbolic.

Get help from professionals, dude.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I played it more than anyone for probably 3 years and I haven't touched it in ages. Would take a big change to make come back for a D3.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't followed Destiny for a while but what wrong with it? Is player base
still shrinking?

Is this thread a marketing ploy to get people to talk about destiny again ?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Fine. Leave me to suffer in silence, then
Hi Hawker. It's me...Relix again! I see you haven't gone to the therapist as you said you would do several weeks ago in the many threads about the hopelessness of life you create. Go, do it now. Unless you are trolling in which case carry on.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Okay, maybe I was being hyperbolic a bit.

But in all honesty, the current state of Destiny makes me very upset. And it breaks my heart a lot to see Bungie to waste the greatest potential they have in their hands.

I feel ya. Forsaken was such a high high, and it seems like that just will not happen again anytime soon.

In the meanwhile, I'm gonna play what I already paid for (this season pass) and evaluate come next expansion.

Remember, Div2 has an expansion soon, and there's tons of great games coming soon as well.

Oct 25, 2017
You need to find other games to play. It's actually insane that you haven't, considering that you're right: Destiny is garbage these days. There are so many great experiences out there you could be having right now, with or without friends, that it's really hard to conjure up the courtesy of support especially when this is basically what you've been told over and over again in other similar threads you've made. You haven't shown that you've been trying, frankly. Go pick up Division 2 (for all of 3 bucks) and play it; it's good whether you have friends or not. Download a trial for Final Fantasy XIV and get lost in that world for a couple hundred hours while you blow off steam. Too slow for you? Pick up Remnant: From the Ashes, a game that couldn't wink and nod harder at OG Destiny if it tried. Don't like third-person shooters? Then grab DOOM 2016 and rediscover what makes first-person shooters good in the first place.

Your problem is you're so dug in with something that sucks you can't see how much is out there that doesn't. You need to put that game down, and force yourself to try something else. If you're *really* trying, you'll find that happiness is a by-product of playing great games, not some emotion monopolized by the Destiny Gods.

Give Destiny a break, but more importantly, realize that Destiny isn't making you happy anymore and it's time find something that will. Acting like there's nothing else out there you can have fun with is beyond bogus: it's for lack of trying and, frankly.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I feel gross even suggesting something like this since a) I'm entirely unwilling to seek help for my own hopeless fucking ass and b) I can't tell if this is half-serious or a troll or what, but if your continued existence is truly tied so much to a video game, please seek help

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like you make these threads a lot.

Also, Destiny is still awesome! Just jump back in and keep experiencing some of the best gunplay out there.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I think it's evolved into a very seasonal game (pun intended) for me. I'll log in for a good chunk of the first month of a new season, then trail off. I get good mileage out of my money spent and I can still slip in other games between seasons too. It doesn't have a vice grip on me like before, and to be honest I kinda miss that. The feeling that I can boot it up any minute of the day and have a blast. But I guess it's getting a bit long in the tooth without any big shakeups. Looking forward to the next season tho.

And D3 is a necessity to me. Or at least a big ass "reset"-ish expansion. All the drama of having to reacquire new gear will quickly fade away.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
There's a million better multiplayer games out there. Go play one of them.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting crippling depression over a video game? That is seriously not healthy. Might be time for you to stop playing video games and reconsider what you do with your time. Destiny isn't even that good.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Umm can't we just see how the next seasons are gonna be first? Like seriously, no one has even seen a meta for pinnacle activities without the core weapons we're used to. It could be (probably will be) the best thing that's happens to the game in a while. You can still used the weapons too. It's not like they're going away.

And also, yeah get some help.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Take a break from it, play other games, and then come back to it. Try Path of Exile or some other great games out there to fill the loot void. =)

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Find some other things to do with your life OP.

Don't let one thing determine your happiness :)

Oct 25, 2017
I do think the content flow for destiny is kind of fucked. I don't understand how other games can have so much more stuff, bigger enviroments, more missions, enemy types etc and everything bungie add to destiny is somehow like pulling teeth. (like the seasons are SO content light)

I think they need better tools,or to recosinder the design or workflow of the game so they can get more stuff out. a game like this needs lots of shit to do.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple. Destiny was my happy place. My special safe space where I can play happily with no care for the world and just relax.

And with Bungie killing the game slowly, it's making me depressed to the point I dont want to get out of bed.

People talk about how easy it is to move on. But believe me, it's not that easy.

I think this happens to every mega popular game. As a former WOW addict, wow was my everything to the point i hated doing any other activity that wasn't wow. I remember watching a movie in the cinema and thinking i should be home, do some herbing or mining. So i understand where you are coming from but you will move on and find other activities to fill your free time.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just walk away from the game, if playing it is making you feel bad then don't play it.

It sounds like it's actually holding your happiness back.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I hopped off due to a feeling of quietude versus feeling forced out by Bungie's decisions.

But you've got deeper problems than a game being bad. I've been there. Having a hobby is nice, but your mental health shouldn't depend on any game. Please seek professional help, friend. When you feel better, you'll find replacing Destiny (or perhaps even enjoying it again!) to be an easier feat.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i promise the game didnt change THAT much. The change us in you. You just got tired of it.

6 years Destiny player 5k+ hours here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I've experienced an unhealthy relationship with a game before too; Warframe.

But upon realizing that is was actually having a negative impact on my mental health (I was obsessing over it), I stopped playing it. My life was better for it, even if it was a comfortable place for a time.

It sounds like it's time for you to do the same.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
This level of attachment to any game is incredibly unhealthy. It's a game dude. I kinda think this is a troll thread, the dramatics on display here just can't be taken seriously. If you are serious, I honestly don't think you should play video games OP. You clearly have an addictive personality, and this is an industry in which great effort is put towards taking advantage of people like you.

May 25, 2019
London
I finally hopped off the bandwagon right at the end of 2019. The new season format wasn't working for me so I put it down. It's funny, as soon as I play another game that has any semblance of a real story and a finite duration, it reminds me of just how grindy and shallow Destiny has become. Playing Control and Jedi Fallen Order was like a breath of fresh air.

Go try some new stuff dude. Use rogue likes such as Dead Cells as your podcast game if you need one.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple. Destiny was my happy place. My special safe space where I can play happily with no care for the world and just relax.

And with Bungie killing the game slowly, it's making me depressed to the point I dont want to get out of bed.

People talk about how easy it is to move on. But believe me, it's not that easy.
Just curious what has been happening to Destiny that Bungie is slowly killing it? Haven't played it for a loooong time though I used to really enjoy it (<< as my avatar image probably shows).

Hope you feel better though and find something else to be your happy place though!

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a huge addiction to Destiny 1, like calling in sick to work, leaving work early, skipping classes, etc. But once I platinumed it, I dropped it momentarily and played through the Last of Us. After beating LoU, I realized how much time I wasted on Destiny. Literally hundreds of hours upgrading shoulder pads and guns, only for it to never be good enough. Never went back after that, and I actively avoid MMOs because I know I have a problem with being addicted to things quickly.

No judgment if you don't regret the time spent on Destiny, but it may be a blessing in disguise for you to drop the game in its entirety.

Last edited:

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
I've walked away from Destiny a couple of times, it always felt like a relief. Like, playing it was my job and I was done.
If you're not enjoying it anymore let it go. Maybe you'll come back to it at a time when you can enjoy it again.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Your situation doesn't sound healthy at all. Try other games.

I'm actually glad I stopped playing Destiny like 1-2 years ago. It almost killed my interest in shooters games. I got so frustrated how Bungie always took one step forward but two steps back. TTK Expansion was Destiny's peak. After that it went downhill.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Hi Hawker. It's me...Relix again! I see you haven't gone to the therapist as you said you would do several weeks ago in the many threads about the hopelessness of life you create. Go, do it now. Unless you are trolling in which case carry on.

I already have a therapist and I visit him every Tuesday.

However, I don't see leaving video games for good as an option

Last edited:

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I loved TTK and forsaken, everything besides that has left me wanting. Their shift to seasonal stuff and battle passes finally pushed me away completely.

If they add something like TTK sometime, I might be interested again.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How many of these threads with vague complaints about Destiny are you going to make? It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point. Find something else to play if it bothers you that much. Or better yet find something more productive to do rather than getting so tied up in a video game that it depresses you to the point you don't want to get out of bed. That's not a Destiny problem, that has everything to do with how emotionally invested you are in the game and how much you're playing it. I've been playing Destiny since the D1 alpha and it has had some high highs and very low lows, but it's still an enjoyable game despite the flaws. I've taken long breaks from it when I wasn't feeling it and that was that. It's not that serious. Plenty of other things you can do to occupy your time. Making threads about it on Era isn't going to solve anything.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

It's the winter dlc this always happens. We are in that weird transition period soon between consoles and they lost alot of man power for creating. We knew there would be a lull. Give it time. Play some COD in the meantime between seasons. It's a fun change of pace.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Do what I did, just drop it and go cold turkey. Stop worrying about daily/weekly bounties, stop worrying about seasonal quests which are basically special bounties, stop worrying about event bounties and loot. Basically stop worrying about completing bounties and you'll be free from 90% of D2 obligations. After 5 years and 4000 hours, if I can do it then you can do it too.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I feel like this thread is not about Destiny at all. Get some professional help. Seriously.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017

This video couldn't be uploaded more of a perfect time. Go give this a watch. He was in a similar case as you. I hope you can find something that can pull you away from this. Good luck.