• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have to go into work tomorrow because I need to make money, but I'm worried. What if I hear someone laugh at Roe vs. Wade being repelled.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to keep my cool.

You could argue that's not gonna help, but I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Anybody else having this problem?

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
If it's going to upset you as much as you think then step out and cool off. Not worth jeopardizing your job over, especially if you need the money.

Oct 27, 2017
You need to step away, it's not worth losing your job over.
If you hear someone on the street excited about the ruling do you get in their face?

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
You're going to be an adult, ignore them and move on. You can't stop people from being disgusting human beings.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gotta put it in perspective, you have to eat and you losing your job does not help anything. You can't be doing stuff like that from a position where it will be directly tied back to you and cause you hardships. It's not something that you should act on while on the clock at your place of employment.

That said if you are talking about customers and you have the right to refuse service, by all means do it.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I think so too. Well, luckily you're in a place where you won't be surrounded by pro lifers, so there's that I suppose. You might hear some shit by someone, but could be worse, you could be in Texas.

I wouldn't be so sure. If the op is in rural pa all bets are off.

I would just assume you will hear it and prepare yourself to ignore it. If you do say something back avoid being confrontational as it rarely helps.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw this thread it was right next to the one about a brawl between teams at baseball game. This is merely an observation of fact, and any extrapolating that occurs is the responsibility of the reader.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Make a note of it in your head and then proceed to doing subtle things to make them miserable every chance you get.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
You're going to be an adult, ignore them and move on. You can't stop people from being disgusting human beings.

This is part of the reason things are the way they are in the US. Ignoring these things doesn't make them any better. It's not "being an adult" to just ignore fascists and bigots.

I completely understand if OP doesn't because they need the job to survive though. I will hold nothing against them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Report them to HR. That type of stuff typically isn't allowed in office environments where I've worked in the past. I know nothing will come of it, but make up some shit to get them spooked when they're suddenly called in for "sensitivity training"

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Learn to hold your cards, hopefully there will be better outlets for that anger.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
This is part of the reason things are the way they are in the US. Ignoring these things doesn't make them any better. It's not "being an adult" to just ignore fascists and bigots.

I completely understand if OP doesn't because they need the job to survive though. I will hold nothing against them.

The point is you're at work and there is a time and place for everything. Being an adult is about not letting your emotions take control of you.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The point is you're at work and there is a time and place for everything. Being an adult is about not letting your emotions take control of you.

If anti-abortion people can talk about it, so can pro-abortion people. Otherwise nothing will ever change, they will just assume everyone around them is in agreement.

When is the time and place? Folks won't do it at home with family, they won't do it at work. They don't do it anywhere.

Yup. People also don't talk with friends.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I work as a Nurse Aide in Pennsyltucky, most of my coworkers are clueless and conservative. I do what I can but recognize that a lot of their ideology is from structural problems over a long time. Most of them are impoverished women that have children and grandchildren so it's especially complex.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
people fucking cheered at my work (whirlpool). Men were laughing about it and practically high fiving like their team won the Superbowl.

but that's what I expected from them after I reported someone to HR for calling a gay co-worker a faggot and basically got a "it's cute that you think we'll do something about this" as a response.

May 26, 2018
people fucking cheered at my work (whirlpool). Men were laughing about it and practically high fiving like their team won the Superbowl.

but that's what I expected from them after I reported someone to HR for calling a gay co-worker a faggot and basically got a "it's cute that you think we'll do something about this" as a response.

Jesus, you work there!?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
it is important to complain out loud, even if to show that injustice is not prevalent on the space you are

that being said, don't start a fight, just go for something small that reinforces that you disagree

like just a "naaah" or "not sure about that" would be enough