• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Again you people telling me "then buy the games lul" did not read my text or i explained it badly.

Friend: Has a 15€ Subscription on a Service, gets the newest 60-70 Hour RPG. He finishes it in one month.
Me: I buy the game at 60€. Since i don't have as many time, i finish it after about 4 months.

So my friend got the same game and basically the same experience for about 1/4 of what i payed just because he had more time.

Just to be clear. It's not that i don't want you guys to have great value and have the possibility to play all these games at 15€. It's just that i feel like the games ill buy will loose a lot of value.
Lmao. Your buddy would be paying the same price as you if he took as long to finish. Don't buy games at launch. Problem solved. Since you only want three or four good games a year shouldn't be a problem if you're constantly behind four months.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Gamepass is something like Netflix and that's okay where streaming games is where I don't find okay.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If you hate it now, just wait till it goes the way TV streaming is going and every major publisher only puts it's games on it's own service.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How many times did you buy a DVD of something you only watched once (or never at all)? I fully understand the frustration when something is pulled from a streaming service, but overall it's much cheaper than just buying every DVD of every series you want to watch. For instance, anime. I have almost completely stopped buying anime physically. That can't be good for the licensors, but in many cases I don't really need to own it. And don't get me started on comics.

It depends if you rewatch I guess.

I buy DVDs (and blurays) of TV shows and films that I intend to watch and rewatch. So I can cancel Netflix at any time and I wont be stuck for content.

Also a lot of, if not the majority, of films and some TV shows are not available on UK streaming services. For example we cannot stream Harry Potter, Simpsons, most of Top Gear, any Marvel or Pixar less than 3 years old, and so on.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
I love owning games and I love Gamepass.

So i just play the on Gamepass and buy it later when it's on sale for $20.
This way I get play the game at launch, own it, and save a lot of money.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Subscription services are great for intermittent use — a month here, a month there. But I'd still much rather spend a little more and build/curate my own library that stays with me than dump money into one the entirety of a generation. Games are incredibly cheap these days.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
London
When people talk about all of these various streaming services, they act like they have to remain subscribed to them in perpetuity. You don't have to! I've got Netflix right now to watch the new seasons of Stranger Things and GLOW. Then I'll cancel and watch stuff on other services.

It can be the same with gaming. Halo Infinite dropping next month? Cool, sub to Game Pass for a month and play it, then drop the sub. New Assassin's Creed coming out in October? Pick up the Ubi Soft one then if you want to play it, then cancel. It's little exhausting hearing people complain about being given more options on how to engage with content because they're too lazy to click a few buttons every now and then.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
join the club OP. But that's the nature of corporations trying to turn consumers into slaves with reliable income for them
Yep. i dont like this sub route one bit. its pretty much companies looking to have people turn into continuous streams of income and no one owning anything and having a way out. i mean i even see cars becoming subscriptions its crazy. and there is currently no way to easily buy and trade digital licenses to games you purchase as well. Its kind of crazy how people are just embracing this with zero safe guards and having some form of ownership.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Laughing so hard right now.

Yep. i dont like this sub route one bit. its pretty much companies looking to have people turn into continuous streams of income and no one owning anything and having a way out. i mean i even see cars becoming subscriptions its crazy. and there is currently no way to easily buy and trade digital licenses to games you purchase as well. Its kind of crazy how people are just embracing this with zero safe guards and having some form of ownership.

We already have an elite class of society saying anyone who has to kill themselves to survive should be happy and smiling as they do it, because they should be lucky to live in a society that worships capital.

For many large scale corporations that benefit from a society like this, its not an exaggeration to say that they think of the consumers and even the workers as statistics to perpetuate capital.

In that sense, these corporations looking at consumers as a type of slave to extract a steady supply of capital from makes sense. These kinds of schemes can be looked at as just another way to trick you into paying more for less, so you dont notice over time that you have become someone addicted to a service, an addiction to an intangible that is completely controlled by said institution, and not a product as is clearly defined.

The more you pay into them, the more they become like Bob Iger, who says his salary of making hundreds of times more than his underlings is "purely merit based". Divorced from reality

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Gamepass is good to try a lot of games out without spending much $$$. Then you can buy the games you enjoyed afterwards and forget about those that didn't live up to your expectations if you care about owning them. It's like game rentals but a way better value and less restrictive.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I agree with you OP, and I'm afraid that this gluttony you mention may drag the quality down; not to mention the possibility of even subscription exclusive games.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Ownership is overrated to people like me who don't go back to many games they've got their fill of. Cars becoming subscription....yea.

I don't see these companies turning down 60 bucks anytime soon.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
We already have an elite class of society saying anyone who has to kill themselves to survive should be happy and smiling as they do it, because they should be lucky to live in a society that worships capital.

For many large scale corporations that benefit from a society like this, its not an exaggeration to say that they think of the consumers and even the workers as statistics to perpetuate capital.

In that sense, these corporations looking at consumers as a type of slave to extract a steady supply of capital from makes sense. These kinds of schemes can be looked at as just another way to trick you into paying more for less, so you dont notice over time that you have become someone addicted to a service, an addiction to an intangible that is completely controlled by said institution, and not a product as is clearly defined.

The more you pay into them, the more they become like Bob Iger, who says his salary of making hundreds of times more than his underlings is "purely merit based". Divorced from reality
you know we're talking about video game stuff right?

Oct 28, 2017
I don't game enough to pay a monthly fee. It's the same reason I don't pay for Netflix, Hulu, etc. either.

Music and Youtube for me, so Google Play Music w/ free YT Premium is my bae.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Again you people telling me "then buy the games lul" did not read my text or i explained it badly.

Friend: Has a 15€ Subscription on a Service, gets the newest 60-70 Hour RPG. He finishes it in one month.
Me: I buy the game at 60€. Since i don't have as many time, i finish it after about 4 months.

So my friend got the same game and basically the same experience for about 1/4 of what i payed just because he had more time.

Just to be clear. It's not that i don't want you guys to have great value and have the possibility to play all these games at 15€. It's just that i feel like the games ill buy will loose a lot of value.
That's really damn petty.

Your not even paying any more. You're just bothered someone else is paying less.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So it might be that im in the minority here, but i don't like the direction the whole media insdustry is going.
So just to be clear, i know that GamePass is amazing value and mind you i use Netflix a lot. But i don't want to spend 60-70 bucks every month for every different publisher that decides to offer a service. Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Square, Sony, MS, Nintendo.

Some of you will say "...eh well then don't use it lol. You can still buy the game on Blu Ray". Yes that's true but the value of a Blu Ray game will drop significantly. I can get 8 Seasons of Game of Thrones for 10 Bucks instead of paying what 300?

"That's why the Services are so good dude"

Agreed if we had one Service containing all games. But not like this.

And what will the future hold? I mean if we take a look at Netflix or Amazon Prime etc. we have like a new Series/Season every Month. The market is so saturated to a point where it is gluttony.

It will be the same with the gaming market. Publishers will drop a game every single month to get users into their services and it will be the same situation.

I don't want the possibility to play 100 good games a year, i'm not even able to finish 3. I want to play 2 really good games, and i want to do it in 10-15 years too without having the feeling that i spend to much money on it.

That's a lot of text and i'm not entirely sure if i explained myself properly.

You seem to be conflicted for a non issue. If you spend more than $60.00 a year on Microsoft Games, then it makes all the sense in the world to just pay Game Pass and have access to the same games, + the hundreds of other games that are part of the service. Subscription services also allow you to pay a single month, play and finish the game/s you want and then don't pay anything else until there is something else you want to play. If you are someone that pays $100+ a month on games, you would be saving money by paying $60 a month on subscription services that give you access to the same games + more. If you are worried about developers taking away the right to purchase an individual game from them, I don't see that happening for years and years.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ownership is overrated to people like me who don't go back to many games they've got their fill of. Cars becoming subscription....yea.

I don't see these companies turning down 60 bucks anytime soon.

I don't see these companies timing down 60 bucks anytime soon.
I mean honestly these games probably should cost a lot more, so in some ways i get the sub route to kind of "boil the frog" when it comes to what games should actually cost to develop and even software. So i get it in ways, and i do agree with not going back to games either and id probally be open if the games are treated more and more as platforms than just one offs where they get expanded etc.

What are we talking about here?

Thats a primer on the trend. BMW, Audi and Volvo also have subscriptions to their vehicles. yeah its bonkers.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I feel like the sub services like Game Pass and EA access and whatever else (Stadia at least is different, from what we know now) is that you only get the value from them if you:
1) buy a lot of games all the time
2) play a lot of the games you buy all the time
3) buy a lot of NEW games all the time

I mean, it's a no-brainer if you meet any 2 of these criteria because 6 months of a $10 service is a new game and you're getting a lot of other games with it, but for those of us that typically don't day one things, it's not a thing. Those of us with giant backlogs we're working on or don't play every single new AAA game or a lot of indie games. Frankly, if you don't pay a lot of western-made games, it's not really that valuable.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
you know we're talking about video game stuff right?

Corporations and the broken type of system we live in dont change just because of the type of industry you know? It all connects together, as companies like EA and Activision should clearly illustrate. Which is why its weird when there are so many so called video game enthusiasts on youtube for example that espouse "pro consumer" rhetoric, but then are somehow completely opposite when it comes to the outside world in many cases. Its a big contradiction.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the concern here.

I love what Microsoft is doing with Game Pass, it makes me try more games I wouldn't even look at if I had to buy them for the full price, with a subscription 6/10 is good enough to try now, I've found some true unlikely gems this way.

But I totally see a problem when more publishers do the same and make their games exclusive to their service. In the end you'll either be at the situation where you have to subscribe to 10 different subscription services to get access to the games you want or you still have to buy a bunch of games the regular $60 way, which means that most will just go back to buy 9-10/10 games and ignore the rest.

I understand why the publishers are starting their own service but I don't like it. In a perfect world there would just be one subscription service, with a shared ownership between the devs so everyone would get a piece of the money cake, then it could possibly work. But this won't happen. So I expect it all to crash within the next 5 years. Video game crash part 2.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the sub services don't tangibly bother me yet, but assuming they take off they're just yet more momentum away from me being able to buy the games I want to play physically when they're initially released

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
So do you also get upset when someone buys a game that's on sale?

Your issue doesn't seem to be a subscription thing.
absolutely not, I'm constantly looking for deals (whether physical or subscription). Never said I was against subscriptions, rather I have game pass up until July 2022 lol. I think the 2 can coexist. While it may be "best value" to do the annual subscription, if you don't value the library or the new releases coming to that subscription you shouldn't be wasting money on it. If people only want to play a game for a month or 2, depending on the cost of subscription, it can be worth it for them to subscribe for the new release then cancel when they are done with that game, costing them $20-$30. But if it's a game they know they'll come back to time and time again, being able to "buy" it for a while may work better for them.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I want what's cheapest for me and when it comes to video games, subscriptions aren't it. I don't spend anywhere near 120 a year buying video games.

To the people saying "ignore it", well it's not so easy when that attitude leads in 10 years' time to having many pieces of games exclusive to subscription.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm not against Gamepass but I dislike it for my own usage. Context below.
  1. I already pay for Gold (online infrastructure, multiplayer, etc.)
  2. I already buy the games I want to play (physical or digital)
  3. I already pay for streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Crunchyroll)
  4. I dislike the risk that the offering can be filtered/restrained by location and or timing considerations (Game A may not be available in X region, or will not be available after 1 month)
Why isnt Gamepass under the Gold scope? Why do we have to pay twice to get the total offering-scope?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm always going to want to just buy the relatively small amount of games that interest me rather than rent a huge amount that don't.
It's really not a difficult decision for me.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm the same way too. I hate renting games, I'd rather just buy games I want. At the rate at which the industry is going I'm scared everyone will have their own service and we'll be up with a large number of subscription services from all the different publishers just like we are soon going to be dealing with all the TV subscription services bombarding us.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I agree which is why I only spent like a dollar for it. When time comes to renew at full price, I won't.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly people keep saying "look at Netflix" but I'm like "yeah exactly, look at Netflix"

What lesson has been learned by these content companies? He who owns the IP makes the rules, and you need a constant stream of content to keep your subscribers. This translates to bidding wars for exclusive streaming rights to "third party" stuff (or those same 3rd parties starting their own service) because exclusive rights are obviously a big deal in marketing, and a focus on episodic, long tail, "high-engagement" content to keep people locked into coming back every month. Netflix dumps swimming pools of cash on its content, and the clear majority of content you could reasonably grade below 60%, relative to how video games are graded. They dont really hunt down a bunch of "third party" streaming rights anymore because it's becoming cost-prohibitive to outbid a dozen other services for the same content

The real issue that will come into play that you dont see with Netflix is the myriad ways you can monetize games. If no subscription title really needs to make a certain sales threshold and they just need to drive engagement as a baseline, wouldnt that have a greater chance of affecting the game design than the traditional model based on the hijinks we've seen from some of the higher profile engagement-driven GaaS? Obviously not all are bad, but also not all games are GaaS... because the market doesnt dictate that they need to be GaaS. People say "well just buy the games instead of sub" but the game designs are often still fundamentally changed to fit the sub model, as bad as it is now with companies like EA making full-priced F2P games do you think it's going to be better when that $60 entry fee is gone?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not against Gamepass but I dislike it for my own usage. Context below.
  1. I already pay for Gold (online infrastructure, multiplayer, etc.)
  2. I already buy the games I want to play (physical or digital)
  3. I already pay for streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Crunchyroll)
  4. I dislike the risk that the offering can be filtered/restrained by location and or timing considerations (Game A may not be available in X region, or will not be available after 1 month)
Why isnt Gamepass under the Gold scope? Why do we have to pay twice to get the total offering-scope?

? They just introduced a Gamepass + Gold tier and let everyone basically grandfather in for two years. And it sounds like you don't want that anyway, you just want Gold. What more do you want?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they are the future*

*until everyone realizes the majority of the community doesnt care about having that many games and this whole sub service stuff will fall on its face.

personally, i like using game pass (i only used the 1$ deals so far), but i am afraid of what games will be like if it does pul through (although i still see no major shift in consumer view of game ownership and subscription services), it would mean games would need to be designed with quantity over quality and continous gameplay with GaaS elenments, and not all devs are well prepared for these type of games, and at the same time, it would mean much less of the type of games i do like (one and done narrative focused games) because they dont return profit with these services if they are too expensive.

also lol at the "just dont buy them" comments, we will see how well that will work when we will start to have "game pass exclusive" or whatever, we already have tetris 99 as a NSO exclusive, so i wont be surprised if this will happen with these services soon.

Jul 15, 2019
I agree with you 100%. The worst part about this all, is the whole point of these services is to move the console gaming industry towards the mobile market with streaming and everything on the rise. This is bad. Like really bad. Why? Because we will see a total fall in the quality of most games as they will try to appeal to the wider (mobile) market via Games As A Service. Yeah, we won't be paying $60, therefore they will really hit these games badly with microtransactions. Especially with how recently a CEO (i forget where) said how they aren't getting enough from game pass. mock my words but i am 99% sure the quality of games will fall as the rise of streaming and subscriptions come about into the mainstream. Granted I do think everyone including the media are overblowing it and don't think subscriptions and streaming will take over gaming until very very late next-gen. But the fact all these companies are pushing it down our throats now including the media is NOT a good sign for the future. Single-player AAA games are not profitable in that mobile type of market and that is why these subscriptions will be filled with low-quality games as a service game. Gaming is heading down a very scary future but i hope the consumers rise up and prove these companies wrong.

edit: i know everyone thinks Microsoft is so friendly and awesome for $1 for 3 months, but trust me, no company is your friend and we will all see the true cost of this $1.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Y'all really have to stop complaining about paying full price if you not even tryna put minimum effort into finding a deal or wait half a month before grabbing a game.

Some of y'all hell bent buying a game at launch but complain about the price

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for my dream subscription. One subscription that contains all the games available on the platform, and that kind of subscription is available on any platform.

One subscription to rule them all,
One subscription to find them,
One subscription to bring them all
and in the backlog bind them.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
That's really damn petty.

Your not even paying any more. You're just bothered someone else is paying less.

No, im bothered that the value of my gaming experience is not adjusted.

Also funny since i go on and rent my games to all my friends as soon as i finish them, which results in them paying nothing and getting the same experience.

So again, it's not THAT. It's jsut that i feel i'm not getting the same value for my 60€.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I still don't understand. The only way this becomes an issue is if the major console developers all mandate that games will be subscription only, and even then if there's enough demand another console will come along and buck that.

The mobile trend is not subscription services, so I'm not sure why people are afraid of that model. Apple is introducing one soon but that bucks the trend. If console games are destined to go F2P but GAAS it will happen with or without sub services.

Will there be some games that will be exclusive? Sure, in the future. So you can't play those games unless you subscribe. It's similar to how you can't play PS4 exclusives unless you buy that console.

Really, all this will do is make sure that the obsessive-compulsive buyers who have a huge backlog, well, maybe they don't add to that backlog anymore. There's no mountain of games that they will never open or play.