• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I kinda agree with OP. I liked GoW quite a bit but Im still left scratching my head with some of the decisions they made but mostly its stuff that I hate in every game. The stat fiddling, the crafting, keeping track of all these numbers and their effects and which items I should be using for which Valkyrie. I hate this shit, its all just menu fiddling filler as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoyed the combat quite a bit but there are some inherent shortcomings as OP said. I still thought it was pretty fun though.

The story was ok, but I kept waiting for it to take off. I thought we would at least see Odin and Thor but nope. It just kinda felt small by comparison to the rest of the series and never really reaches the heights I was expecting it to.

Its still a great game and Im excited to see where they take it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am about to blow your mind OP.

Recalling the axe locks you into place
You can dodge cancel out of most actions in GoW. When recalling the axe, you can dodge forward and do an attack with your bare hands. The dodge cancels the recall animation, you still get the axe back but you aren't locked in place.

- Kratos, I know you can dodge faster and farther than that
You can press dodge twice to roll. There are Enchantments that make you roll further and give you a speed boost afterwards. There is also an Talisman that slows down time if you time your dodge.

The issues with camera, enemy variety and forces walked sections are legit but GOW's combat is nothing like a Souls game. Being able to dodge cancel out of most actions and having a fairly robust move kit allows you to do some pretty quick, skill intensive maneuvers. It's much faster and more skill based. It's not as committal as a Souls game even though you can play like it... if you are good then you can just go ham on opponents with proper dodge canceling, weapon tossing and move cancelling.

The combat in GOW is any AAA type game of its ilk like Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Games and Spider Man... even Souls/Sekiro type games. Not as high as the NG/DMC/Bayo games but GOWs combat is better than people may give it credit for. Can't wait to see expanded combat against more types of foes in GOW2.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like for you to explain further how it's designed around being shown only a small part of the field. As it is right now, I don't see any benefit in forcing you to have to only be able to look in a small area.

This interview touches on how the combat was designed to around the perspective. It says the perspective allows for "ranged melee combat" - basically being able to "shoot" the axe while still being a melee combat system. Enemies like the floating head/eye things are there so you are forced to throw your axe to kill them.

You're free to think the combat is worse than previous games. I just think calling the camera fucked, and the tools the game gives you to learn how to fight well in this perspective proof that the camera is fucked, is really poor criticism.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the God of War franchise and thought the newest entry was solid but that said, no one should ever be surprised by a high budget exclusive title receiving an alarming amount of praise. It's just the nature of the beast.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's fun. A lot of people had fun with the game. There are plenty of people who loved it.

It doesn't make your opinion wrong, but as it stands it's not for you.

Like I hated Borderlands 2. It didn't mean that the praise for the game is wrong.
Yup..

I love the Borderlands series, just got 3. Watch Dogs 1 is a fav of mine, like it alot more than 2.

These are games that are divisive. I don't really get the gushing over Dark, Demon Souls, Bloodborne. But I get it that some love those games.

These types of threads, topics are just tricky to make, lol.

About the camera...all they did was bring it to ground level....and ppl started losing their minds!!!!! Lol

Zoom it back out and it's damn near classic God of War.

That's why I say it's different...but still the same.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that loves good action games, GoW is pretty bad.

The horrible Camera, the lack enemy variety, the awful RPG mechanics, the lack of boss fights as well... What a disappointment. There are more problems like the extremely boring puzzles but those are the main ones for me.

I do like the music and story but as a game it was so disappointing.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not trying to be Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. Maybe the previous games tried, but this one has a different agenda. Most games should be jealous they don't have something as fun as the ax mechanics, including character action games.

And honestly - normal everyday video game fans don't want Ninja Gaiden or DMC, they want something fun that they can still understand, not something with a million mechanics and a typical weeb story. Its easier to digest. You're looking for the wrong things.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit at release, thought it was great. I wanted to replay around new year's but just could not get into it again at all. Maybe the surprise was gone, maybe the story and graphics pulled me through the first time.

It was one of the biggest about-faces I've ever had with a game. Never been able to put my finger on why though.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game quite a lot and still actually agree with most of your complaints. Which is why I'm very excited to see if they'll iron out these mistakes in a sequel.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The game really could have done without the RPG elements I think.

All in all, I'd say I agree you most of your sentiments.
Enemy variety in particular was a BIG one.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Ever played RE4?

The game had a very similiar design there. You listen to the enemies and their SFX to know where they are and when they attack. Head or Boy aren't the only thing that help you. Sound does.

It is game design, just because NG or DMC do it differently doesn't mean it is gimped. The challenge is knowing your surroundings and making use of that.
Resident Evil 4 was a shooter, first and foremost.

I also found that the environments in RE4 were more designed for the camera. Specifically, the castle. There are a lot more tight spots, and a lot more chokepoints where you can neatly line everyone up, and hit them with the shotgun. God of War is, however, far more melee-based than it is ranged. There are some ranged elements, but it's a shooter, first and foremost.

I am about to blow your mind OP.

Recalling the axe locks you into place
You can dodge cancel out of most actions in GoW. When recalling the axe, you can dodge forward and do an attack with your bare hands. The dodge cancels the recall animation, you still get the axe back but you aren't locked in place.

- Kratos, I know you can dodge faster and farther than that
You can press dodge twice to roll. There are Enchantments that make you roll further and give you a speed boost afterwards. There is also an Talisman that slows down time if you time your dodge.

The issues with camera, enemy variety and forces walked sections are legit but GOW's combat is nothing like a Souls game. Being able to dodge cancel out of most actions and having a fairly robust move kit allows you to do some pretty quick, skill intensive maneuvers. It's much faster and more skill based. It's not as committal as a Souls game even though you can play like it... if you are good then you can just go ham on opponents with proper dodge canceling, weapon tossing and move cancelling.

The combat in GOW is any AAA type game of its ilk like Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Games and Spider Man... even Souls/Sekiro type games. Not as high as the NG/DMC/Bayo games but GOWs combat is better than people may give it credit for. Can't wait to see expanded combat against more types of foes in GOW2.

>Dodge cancelling to get out of the animation
I am aware of that, but I still think this is far from ideal. I'd like to be able to recall the axe while sprinting at full tilt, without having to stop sprinting. The dodge only gets you so far. Sometimes, there's an enemy that gets in my way while I'm trying to get to another enemy, and I'd like to just hit them with the axe instead of having to stop for them.

>You can press dodge twice to roll.
I know that. But in God of War 3... Well, his Nemean Caestus, and Nemesis Whip dodging animation was fast. And pretty long-distanced as well. For me, having to tap twice/hold to get a faster, longer distance dodge feels clunky.

>There are Enchantments that make you roll further and give you a speed boost afterwards.
That I didn't know, where can I get those?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
A major focus of the combat, which the developers have talked about at length, was their insistence that attacks and combat had weight, that each strike felt important, that deaths were brutal and in-your-face, and in this respect the close camera is pretty necessary. Many people remember recalling the Leviathan axe, and the sound and vibration and satisfaction of the aesthetic experience of doing it. this is not something the standard GoW camera could have achieved. It only works because of how close Kratos and the axe are to the screen whenever it happens.

So it's true some mechanics were probably a bit compromised to achieve the experience they wanted with the combat, but the truth is many character action games feel like other character action games. Not many games feel like God of War 2018. It feels fresh.

Enemy variety I agree.

RPG elements, I think we're understating how cool a lot of the gear was, especially the items that gave you an ability to use outside of your weapon and armor. It's possible to make "builds" in GoW2018, simple as they are, by virtue of this fact, and focus on attacks and abilities that you prefer or enjoy the most.

I can't say I minded weapon switching and color coded enemies at all in DmC or in this game. To me it always felt like the game was encouraging me to master my entire arsenal. And while this seems in contradiction to the above about making builds and focusing on abilities, it rarely meant I had to diversify outside of like...maybe two styles of play? Not really an issue.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you on some of the recycled fights. When I saw that giant bird in the background I was positive we were gonna be fighting it at some point. Was sorely disappointed it never happened.

Though I still loved the game.

Nov 23, 2017
As someone that loves good action games, GoW is pretty bad.

The horrible Camera, the lack enemy variety, the awful RPG mechanics, the lack of boss fights as well... What a disappointment. There are more problems like the extremely boring puzzles but those are the main ones for me.

I do like the music and story but as a game it was so disappointing.
It's not an action game.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit at release, thought it was great. I wanted to replay around new year's but just could not get into it again at all. Maybe the surprise was gone, maybe the story and graphics pulled me through the first time.

It was one of the biggest about-faces I've ever had with a game. Never been able to put my finger on why though.
It's the forced walk/pseudo loading screens and the feel of sameness that is throughout the game. Once you get past the production values and story, the game's faults become more obvious. Where before you would have a nice lore tale by Mimir as your are boating through the nines lake... afterwards you just have silence and a very slow/boring trek through the environments. Lots of down time in the game in between the part that people want to get to. It's fine your first time because during the down time there is dialogue and character interaction to keep you distracted.

GOW is one of the best games that I never want to play again for these reasons. I did play again in GMGOW difficulty on NG+ but I stopped after immediately beating Sigrun.

I also found that the environments in RE4 were more designed for the camera. Specifically, the castle. There are a lot more tight spots, and a lot more chokepoints where you can neatly line everyone up, and hit them with the shotgun. God of War is, however, far more melee-based than it is ranged. There are some ranged elements, but it's a shooter, first and foremost.

>Dodge cancelling to get out of the animation
I am aware of that, but I still think this is far from ideal. I'd like to be able to recall the axe while sprinting at full tilt, without having to stop sprinting. The dodge only gets you so far. Sometimes, there's an enemy that gets in my way while I'm trying to get to another enemy, and I'd like to just hit them with the axe instead of having to stop for them.

>You can press dodge twice to roll.
I know that. But in God of War 3... Well, his Nemean Caestus, and Nemesis Whip dodging animation was fast. And pretty long-distanced as well. For me, having to tap twice/hold to get a faster, longer distance dodge feels clunky.

>There are Enchantments that make you roll further and give you a speed boost afterwards.
That I didn't know, where can I get those?
Gotta explore and do side quests. Ton of Runic attacks, Talismans with passives looked behind secret areas.

The slow down Talisman is in Alfheim very early on.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why does it matter? The game is still designed around it so I am not sure why RE4 isn't gimped while GOW4 is.

As I said, it is different from other games but that doesn't mean it is gimped.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I loved it, felt like a combination of fast paced action game + 'cinematic' adventure game.

Better combat system than all FROM games imo, but obviously it has some very weak areas in the enemy variety and design, pacing etc. Lots of potential and its a plus the plot and characters aren't abhorrent anymore

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP.

What I hated the most about the game is how most of the loot I came across in the game was either completely useless, only a slight variation on what I already had, inferior to what I already had, or a different set of stat compromises. I spent so much time completing sidequests or exploring to find hidden chests, only to be rewarded with absolutely nothing of value or that I wanted to use. It just didn't feel satisfying at all. I kept hoping that eventually the game would start giving me some good things, and sometimes it did, but it was so rare. I legit didn't use over 90% of the gear I found in the game. Why bother?

Every time I came back across the shop, I dreaded the time I would have to spend in the menu to optimize everything I had and the different kinds of upgrades and slots and crystals and whatnot. So much fluff and tedium.

Canoeing around was long, tedious, and boring. I couldn't take the story seriously with all the "humor"-relief thrown in there. It felt like it had all the maturity of an angsty teenager that listens to too much Puddle of Mudd or something.

The fast-travel "go around in a circle" until a portal appears was interesting... just once. Then I figured out what the game was doing, I'd just not touch the controller for 30 seconds until the portal appeared. I hate games that attempt to take me for an idiot.

Combat felt repetitive, stiff, and slow.

Having to go to the center room and fiddle with the portal thing to change worlds was hyper cool the first time, not so much the 10th time. Why not just let me fast-travel like any other game ever? This felt like it was there just to artificially pad things out.

The camera was perfect. The game was designed around it and it fit perfectly. Not sure why so many people struggle with this. I disabled the arrows and played it perfectly fine without any frustration and unfair deaths.

I hated how stiff it felt. It felt like it was stuck to Kratos like he had a GoPro stick stuck up his ass. There was no momentum or elasticity to its movement. It felt like a robotic mechanical thing, not an organic one. It reminded me that I'm playing a piece of computer software where someone just mapped the camera's XYZ position 1:1 to Kratos' XYZ+10 position and called it a day.

I could go on for pages. But I'm baffled as to how something like this won so many Game of the Year awards. Must have been a very slow year. It's not a bad game. But it's not that great either. I've completed it and have no desire to ever return to it.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated how stiff it felt. It felt like it was stuck to Kratos like he had a GoPro stick stuck up his ass. There was no momentum or elasticity to its movement. It felt like a robotic mechanical thing, not an organic one. It reminded me that I'm playing a piece of computer software where someone just mapped the camera's XYZ position 1:1 to Kratos' XYZ position and called it a day.

I could go on for pages. But I'm baffled as to how something like this won so many Game of the Year awards. Must have been a very slow year.
Like I said earlier, it is different but you don't have to like it.

It worked for what they were trying to do and it wouldn't feel as good without it.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/god-of-war-4-i-just-beat-it-and-i-really-miss-the-old-gow.141440/

we already had a thread like this less than a day ago, not like it makes the idea that "god of war is a mediocre game" any better
Another one of these in the same week, huh.
Ah, yes. You don't like thing! Why do other people like thing? Other people are wrong.
A lot of salty drive by posts in this thread. There's a disclaimer at the top of the post and the OP laid their complaints out pretty clearly in a thread that no doubt took a while to write up. Yet this is what you've got?

If you enjoyed the game and want to engage in discussion let's see it. But if you enjoyed the game and are only going to make quick, unspecific drive by posts, why are you even here?

OP, I totally didn't notice that you can't move when recalling the axe, they need to address that in the sequel. My largest issue with the game was the over abundance of tacked on RPG elements. I can handle, and even enjoy a few things like that. But God of War went overboard with the gear, skill trees, and other miscellaneous loot that just exist to increase different numbers. It's a third person, story focused, cinematic action game. There doesn't need to be this much stuff

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I agree with the common criticisms of the enemy variety, camera, combat system. If they fix those things, the next one will be amazing.

I like that SSM is interested in the criticism as well. I saw they retweeted matthewmatosis' critique video.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reason why I haven't started it yet despite owning it. I have a very low tolerance level for AAA games. I probably play like one a year. They're all so samey.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Why does it matter? The game is still designed around it so I am not sure why RE4 isn't gimped while GOW4 is.

As I said, it is different from other games but that doesn't mean it is gimped.
God of War's arenas are generally way more open than RE4's.

RE4 constantly puts you in hallways, areas with stairs, rooftops, and very tight areas. It generally only put you in open areas for bosses.

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Good post OP. But you don't have to put so much effort into this. For example the game simply didn't click for me, nothing I experienced expection made for the boss fight with the semi-naked guy at the beginning was groundbreaking. After I reached the mountains peak I simply realized I wasn't having fun.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Because the axe is extremely satisfying to call back.

But yeah, I mostly have the same problems with GoW 2018 as you did. A fine game but not one I'd have close to the scores it did.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game was definitely not as good as I remembered it on a replay. And I had even less patience for all the wack inventory management you have to do.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
A lot of salty drive by posts in this thread. There's a disclaimer at the top of the post and the OP laid their complaints out pretty clearly in a thread that no doubt took a while to write up. Yet this is what you've got?

If you enjoyed the game and want to engage in discussion let's see it. But if you enjoyed the game and are only going to make quick, unspecific drive by posts, why are you even here?

OP, I totally didn't notice that you can't move when recalling the axe, they need to address that in the sequel.
my post was about how we had a thread about this LESS THAN A DAY AGO
why cant OP just post his opinion of the game there? the point of the first thread was to react and say whether you agree or not, seems OP agrees as they didnt like the game, then just explain their opinion there? it feels pointless.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War's arenas are generally way more open than RE4's.

RE4 constantly puts you in hallways, areas with stairs, rooftops, and very tight areas. It generally put you in open areas for bosses.
Again, it was designed for it. Every arena was designed around the combat (just like RE4, which does actually put you in open areas as well, especially in the villiage section) so I am not sure how it is gimped down.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with most of your points. The whole time I was playing, I was thinking how much better the sequel will probably be since the core systems are in place now and they can focus on some of these issues, like enemy variety.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It's a good start is all I can say. Cory made up for destroying Kratos's Character in God of War II. But it's not for everyone, and you don't have to like it. Give his ground work a chance though. The best thing Barlog can do is let someone else make God of War 2, bring a piece of them to the arc. A sequel directed by him is doomed to feel the same and peak lower. The OG trilogy benefited the most from different game directors.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Again, it was designed for it. Every arena was designed around the combat (just like RE4, which does actually put you in open areas as well, especially in the villiage section) so I am not sure how it is gimped down.
Except in the village section, there are a TON of chokepoints and hallways. Not to mention there's also the house with a small staircase, one window that you can kick out the ladder to, and another window to the rooftops. All of those were supposed to be used to take advantage of the chokepoints they offered. God of War generally puts you in more open arenas.

Not to mention that, once again, Resident Evil 4 is not based around meleeing your enemies aside from mainly contextual moments.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the biggest issue with GOW overall (minus the clear concessions made to have the one shot camera) is that a lot of it feels like budget and time constraints. Lots of asset usage, undercooked realms, poor enemy variety and especially boss/subboss variety. Many of these can be easily fixed in a sequel since they have the fundamentals down. GOW was a 9 hour game padded to be 15 hour and even further padding to extend its side content. You are fighting very similar Valkyrie bosses that differ in 1-2 moves/mechanics until you reach the final 8th queen Valk which just uses all those moves at once. The fight itself is the single best encounter in the game but to get it you had to waste a lot of time and repetition to get to it that I won't be surprised that most people who beat GOW never fought Sigrun.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Also, please ignore the title. I came up with it before I made the post itself, and forgot to change it.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I can appreciate a good thought out post even though i don't agree with it. But this quoted part right here is something i don't buy. You don't make a huge thought out post like this and then "forget" the title. Its clickbaity and that was your intention. Looking at the thread, it worked.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I do agree that it combines a lot of AAA mechanics. But they work for me. BIG TIME. I've replayed GOW three times since it's release. As far as the camera being a mess. I don't agree at all. It's only a "mess" if you aren't trying to play the game on it's terms.

The game tells you everything you need to know if you are paying attention. And that's why it's fun for me. It forces you to keep engaged with the combat and focus on situational awareness rather than getting to just mash buttons.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
It's ok OP, I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn. Horizon Zero Dawn is also a beloved game and many, many people enjoyed it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I was responding to the topic. The topic was edited, so I'm satisfied. The OP has a valid opinion about God of War 2018, clearly expressed, that I both understand and respect.

And that's why I'm here, thanks for asking.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I can appreciate a good thought out post even though i don't agree with it. But this quoted part right here is something i don't buy. You don't make a huge thought out post like this and then "forget" the title. Its clickbaity and that was your intention. Looking at the thread, it worked.
I got it changed.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I don't understand why some folk love pineapple pizza. I think it is an abomination, yet people love it! It must sell right??

People not liking God of War is understandable, but in general it seems like nitpicking to me. I mean no game is perfect obviously.
You want to find like minded folk that agree with you just so you have the sense of normalcy? Why bother lol.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's a very good game with several major noted missteps (that you've noted in the OP). What it does well, it does very well, which is why it gives with so many people. They aren't wrong in liking the game, just as you're not wrong in disliking it.

But holy fucking shit, are its fans defensive. OP has taken the time to write down and substantiate why they don't like the game, and they instantly trip over themselves to dismiss that viewpoint, including some posters I'd expect better from. Is this a common thing with acclaimed games on Era?

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I disagree withe everything you wrote.

In response to the Resident Evil 4 comparisons, I feel the limited camera helps to establish the horror vibe. Limiting your field of view always puts you more at edge, and one of the reasons that the opening village is such a loved, stand-out moment is specifically because you're out in the open. Even then, you're encouraged and rewarded to hole yourself up somewhere and limit the possibility of people attacking you from all sides. That's why you can barricade doors, kick down ladders. And when that fails, you're encouraged to escape, improvise, funnel your enemies or just avoid them as long as you can. While the game opens up for more combat later, the camera is specifically designed to limit your view and keep you wary of attacks that can come from any direction.

It's much less suitable for something like God of War and feels much cheaper as a result. Especially when enemies are calling down environmental attacks that appear above or below you and you just have to avoid them without actually being able to see where they're coming from. Atreus just yelling out "behind you" isn't a good substitute for a better, zoomed out camera, especially when so many other sounds and things are happening around Kratos. Games like God Hand account for this by giving you both a radar AND much better dodging options. Gene in God Hand can dodge in every direction or even just standing in place, ducking and weaving like a boxer. All Kratos has is a heavy-ass dodgeroll that's so slow and cumbersome, you kind of want to avoid ever using it.