• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I was pretty disappointed when the
Blades of Chaos showed up. It felt like pandering and the axe is way more satisfying as a melee weapon, besides. Also, it was really discouraging when I learned I had to level up another weapon from zero. I almost put the game down.

Oh yeah I remember that as well. Honestly in an action game (or - I don't know, according to some people here GoW wasn't an action game) the less time you spend in the menu the better. Which is why the whole rune / armor stat system was so dumb.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I was really surprised and disappointed by the lack of enemy and boss variety.

That part where there's something trying to break the huge door down and the game really builds it up with the characters making ominous comments.. and it's just another troll. What a letdown.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I always felt Matthewmatosis did a great job of talking about the highs and lows of the game.

I've responded to why I think this is a rather poor analysis of the game before, but based on the complaints, it really does sound like Matthewmatosis simply wasn't very good at the game nor the combat and is intent of blaming the game for those failings.

So many of the things he's complained about myself and many others never had any issues with. Hell, you have people uploading entire play throughs on the hardest difficulty without even taking damage.

Point being, if slow motion timings, move assist etc were genuine issues, people wouldn't be consistently dominating the way they are and do, nor breezing through the hardest difficulties.

To counter some of his specific complaints, move assist you counter just by holding your direction in the direction you want to maintain attack, and slow motion or attack timings are different between different rune attacks because that's the entire point of their skill ceiling and mastery, that you have to learn the attack timings for each one to master their effectiveness. Different rune attacks are better in different scenarios for this exact reason. That Matt doesn't get this and even complains about it is pretty amusing.

Also, it's completely disingenuous for him to say Half-life 2 did the one cut thing first only with "a couple of loading screens" when the entire game is literally filled with pauses and loads like this.

ZVR0gE.gif

It's interesting that so many people link to this video and case study given it presents so many poor arguments, a failure in understanding the combat system and/or a lack of skill with it.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's an interesting and fresh take on the series, but I agree with you.

It took a lot of modern ideas and executed them together solidly, but I really don't see it as the GOTG or a game that pushed the genre forward.

The writing was fine but I felt like I've seen this story before in other games.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yep, so edgy...

Unless I feel something is complete garbage and everyone is praising it, I don't understand these posts. Camera was fine for me, Valkyrie battles were just as fun as stuff from DMCV or Souls games. Dunno what was limiting about the abilities either, they are essential in some of the Valkyrie battles.

Just disagree with almost every point.
OP is not trying to be "edgy".

Seems like they have laid out some pretty valid criticism, even though their wording is often a little harsh.
You're entitled to disagree with them, just as they are entitled to make a thread describing their issues with the game.

The thing with this kind of post is, you have to understand that a lot of people enjoy investing time/money into a game and seeing it through despite the flaws they perceive. OP gave the game enough time and respect to finish it, yet it didn't satisfy them in the way they hoped. Nothing wrong with elaborating on that at all, especially on a forum primarily built for video game discussion.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The camera makes the combat what it is: a thrilling in your face bombastic action hack and slash with many options and badass factor.

Game is superb, some more bosses and one or two more enemy types would made it flawless.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
i thought same for new GOW...i missed old ones with epic battles and enemies...this one was not like gow to me

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
I think it was a very good game, but lacked true identity. It was riding on the production values like graphics and and sound most of the time. Thereby it took a safe approach.

My analysis is simple:
Mass Appeal is the problem.

Sony would not settle for less.
A niche game is a no go.

This is a major problem for many "AAA" developers. They have these fan favourite IPs, but with that comes the lack of bravery to do something new. They nudge their games instead of reforming them. The risk for upsetting the fans are too high. I can see the argument that putting GoW in this type of game was brave, but thats is not the point.

This is why we have this massive rift between "AAA" games and "indies". A.K.A The "what do you actually do in this videogame" situation.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
I'll agree with you on the lack of enemy variety. I think the RPG elements was meant to feel like RPG-lite, to not take away that its a 3rd person action game. I quite liked the new camera angle though. The action felt more visceral that way, but the camera angle from the older GoW games also does have its own merits. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not worse, just different.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The only complaint I can agree with is the lack of enemy variety. It didn't bother me but it was noticeable and a better variety would have made the game even better.

I liked the camera the way it was. It made the combat more visceral, more "in your face". That's one of the core issues I have with the older God of War games. The zoomed out camera combat is a stark contrast to the constant rage Kratos is in (in my opinion).

I also liked the gear progression. Not sure if the stats really mattered but the gear level most certainly did. It was a way to gatekeep certain areas until later in the game. You could still cheese your way through smaller groups of high level enemies via dodging and spamming Atreus' attacks and it felt great when it worked but it was hard and not always possible. That system is just a simple alternative to regular character levels with growing stats. It's done in games with finite levels where endgame progression still needs to be made via item levels from armor and weapons (Destiny, FFXIV, etc.). I enjoy these systems (with some limitations).

I also don't mind that GoW borrowed things from other popular games and genres because they were implemented really well.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Wow some of these reactions. Heaven forbid somebody want to talk about their thoughts about a video game on a video game discussion board.
Yet people will make several threads about the latest new AAA hotness to praise it despite an OT already existing.
So really people don't care about another thread, they're mad someone doesn't like the game. Which is pathetic, grow up.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly, the story was entertaining as a YouTube Movie Version but i got bored playing the game after a few hours.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
OP is not trying to be "edgy".

Seems like they have laid out some pretty valid criticism, even though their wording is often a little harsh.
You're entitled to disagree with them, just as they are entitled to make a thread describing their issues with the game.

The thing with this kind of post is, you have to understand that a lot of people enjoy investing time/money into a game and seeing it through despite the flaws they perceive. OP gave the game enough time and respect to finish it, yet it didn't satisfy them in the way they hoped. Nothing wrong with elaborating on that at all, especially on a forum primarily built for video game discussion.
All we get on here is hot takes and what ppl don't like lol.

Negativity in general is what I'm tired of seeing and this place is full of it.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
I agree with most of your points, if not with all of them.
I still liked the game a lot, but when I finished it I had the feeling that it was an unfinished game. The game is always showing you content that is not "reachable" in the game, things like some realms in the worlds map (Asgard for example), talking about Odin and Thor ALL THE TIME, the big bird in Helheim like you said, the voice of Zeus... I was all my time when playing it thinking: woah it's gonna be awesome when I fight that colossal bird, or Zeus in Helheim, or Thor, can't wait to unlock Asgard!...
And when it finished I was left with a feeling of: that was it??

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I agree with most of your points, if not with all of them.
I still liked the game a lot, but when I finished it I had the feeling that it was an unfinished game. The game is always showing you content that is not "reachable" in the game, things like some realms in the worlds map (Asgard for example), talking about Odin and Thor ALL THE TIME, the big bird in Helheim like you said, the voice of Zeus... I was all my time when playing it thinking: woah it's gonna be awesome when I fight that colossal bird, or Zeus in Helheim, or Thor, can't wait to unlock Asgard!...
And when it finished I was left with a feeling of: that was it??
Did you seek out the Valkyrie or play in a difficulty higher than hard?

There's plenty of challenge and unique enemies (that requires thinking and skill to defeat) in the game but boss battles and spectacle of the older games are some obvious short comings.

Didn't take anything away from my enjoyment as I was honestly tired of the set piece moments in past GOW, but Cory mentioned a lot of things were cut.

Sep 12, 2018
For me it's a game full of contradictions that don't work at all, it's an intimate parent/child adventure story that happens to be 20 hours long and has tacked on and boring RPG mechanics, exploration, side quests etc. A self-conscious piece of prestige gaming that for me would have been better served doing one thing well instead of trying to be all things to all people. My heart kinda sank when I got a few hours in and realized that the game would just stop being interested in the intense focus of its central relationship.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Prestige game is a real thing here? Lol I thought we just used those as jokes. We still calling Gears Dudebro? 😂

My goodness

Sep 12, 2018
Prestige game is a real thing here? Lol I thought we just used those as jokes. We still calling Gears Dudebro? 😂

My goodness
Can you pull your condescension down a few notches please? God of War is "prestige" just by virtue of its incredible production design, serious and grounded approach and the fact that it's extremely well reviewed and award receiving. If this game isn't "prestige" then no game is.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
Did you seek out the Valkyrie or play in a difficulty higher than hard?

There's plenty of challenge and unique enemies (that requires thinking and skill to defeat) in the game but boss battles and spectacle of the older games are some obvious short comings.

Didn't take anything away from my enjoyment as I was honestly tired of the set piece moments in past GOW, but Cory mentioned a lot of things were cut.
Yeah, I did all of the valkyries, including the last one which was a rehash with the moveset of all the others in one, and I played it in the hard difficulty, but not the highest. I did a single run.
I also enjoyed the game and the setpieces, but left me with a bittersweet feeling because of the cut content and knowing that I'll have to wait many years and a new generation to follow the story.
Had the sensation of have just played the Prologue and not have seen any of the really important characters of the story.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah, I did all of the valkyries, including the last one which was a rehash with the moveset of all the others in one, and I played it in the hard difficulty, but not the highest. I did a single run.
I also enjoyed the game and the setpieces, but left me with a bittersweet feeling because of the cut content and knowing that I'll have to wait many years and a new generation to follow the story.
Had the sensation of have just played the Prologue and not have seen any of the really important characters of the story.
I never really felt they cut content. They literally figured out the game 1.5 years before launch. You should watch the Raising Kratos doc

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I liked these types of games more. I can never get over the repetitiveness of the combat.

Meanwhile something like diablo3 I have no problem playing for hours on end. Hypocritical to say the least!

I've never finished a single GoW game, but they just get better and better.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I stumbled unto this thread thinking it's another thread i replied yesterday. Talk about deja vu..

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
I felt the same, but at the same time the game feels bloated and the pacing is bad. It feels both too long and devoid of meaningful content, which is not a good thing.
I felt the lack of variety in enemies very strong, specially when the game throw at the player those "arena" like sections, where you fight against wave of the same enemies you have been fighting again and again.
Or the extra Realms you can visit besides the main story, which are again sections against those same enemies and felt just like a poor way of lengthen the duration of the game. I'm talking about Nilfheim and Muspelheim.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Well as far as seasoned action gamers I definitely recommend the difficulty after hard, GMGOW I believe there's a New Game + as well. The last boss will certainly not be an easy win and while she is a combination of other Valkyrie her tool kit is the best. Each encounter felt challenging and well paced when I increased the difficulty, made the game for me. Despite having more creativity with Dante in DMCV, I overall enjoyed God of War more. So I think a more fleshed out battle system will make the sequel the true GOTG.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I felt the lack of variety in enemies very strong, specially when the game throw at the player those "arena" like sections, where you fight against wave of the same enemies you have been fighting again and again.
Or the extra Realms you can visit besides the main story, which are again sections against those same enemies and felt just like a poor way of lengthen the duration of the game. I'm talking about Nilfheim and Muspelheim.
I think that the game could've benefit following a more linear structure, the "open world" elements of the game are poor and feel shoehorned, while the linear sections can be great. Except the Valkyria fights, the remaining sidecontent feels like "we need to do a 20h+ game" instead of "we need to do what the game will benefit the most from" to me.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
I just wanted to say that calling back the axe doesn't lock you out, you can still move around (yes slow, but you can) and you can still cancel out of catching the axe with a dodge/roll and also use melee. Melee is fucking satisfying in the game.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I just wanted to say that calling back the axe doesn't lock you out, you can still move around (yes slow, but you can) and you can still cancel out of catching the axe with a dodge/roll and also use melee. Melee is fucking satisfying in the game.
The problem is that you still have to stop your momentum. So it's not like I can sprint towards an enemy, and then recall the axe to knock someone out of my way while continuously sprinting at my target.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
The problem is that you still have to stop your momentum. So it's not like I can sprint towards an enemy, and then recall the axe to knock someone out of my way while continuously sprinting at my target.
Yes you can with Returning Whirlwind and Returning Storm. With those you can sprint towards an enemy and unleash attacks instantly and continue with combos.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Yes you can with Returning Whirlwind and Returning Storm. With those you can sprint towards an enemy and unleash attacks instantly and continue with combos.
But those attacks still only get me around the distance of a dodge. That still doesn't allow me to just recall the axe while sprinting, and continue sprinting.

Not to mention with Returning Whirlwind, I have to aim, so regardless of how brief that period is, I still stop my momentum.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
But those attacks still only get me around the distance of a dodge. That still doesn't allow me to just recall the axe while sprinting, and continue sprinting.

Not to mention with Returning Whirlwind, I have to aim, so regardless of how brief that period is, I still stop my momentum.
If you sprint and just press L2+R1 or R2 you instantly launch the attack, there's no momentum stopping. Yes you can't launch a combo but that's not possible anyway since during sprint other attacks like Frost Rush or Leviathan's Fury. :)

But yes it will always stop the sprint since it's attack based. As I said, use melee, it's awesome. ;)

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
If you sprint and just press L2+R1 or R2 you instantly launch the attack, there's no momentum stopping. Yes you can't launch a combo but that's not possible anyway since during sprint other attacks like Frost Rush or Leviathan's Fury. :)

But yes it will always stop the sprint since it's attack based. As I said, use melee, it's awesome. ;)
But here's the situation I'm thinking of:
1. I sprint forward towards an enemy a long distance from me when I don't have my axe
2. Some enemy jumps in my path halfway there or so
3. I recall the axe to get rid of the enemy in my path while STILL sprinting
4. After knocking the guy out of the way, I manage to get over to the enemy I was attacking in the first place, and then deal with them.

I want to be able to just tap triangle while sprinting, and Kratos would not stop sprinting. He would just extend his hand while running, and get it back.

The Returning Whirlwind still makes me have to slow down my momentum due to ending lag, and I wouldn't be able to get to my main target without having to hit L3 again to sprint after attacking.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, it seems that people get really emontional over video games based on other people's opinion.

Anyway OP, I agree.

God of War is a good game but that's about it. I'm more curious about to see what they do with the sequel and hopefully they take some of the critism to heart and improve on it.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Okay. I fell off God of War but wouldn't dream of making a thread about it. I feel off Spider-man too. You are allowed to not like a game. There is no entitlement to do so. But I could just be old and cranky.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Other than bosses variety I don't really have any big complaints. I love the combat and how it really makes you feel like a bad-ass with so many useful moves. Love the story, though I don't like how they show places you can't visit in the game. Love the general game structure, the way you get new equipment and how you upgrade your weapons. Of course some parts could be even better but the whole package it's just so strong. It's my GoTG for now.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
All we get on here is hot takes and what ppl don't like lol.

Negativity in general is what I'm tired of seeing and this place is full of it.
If you're tired of negativity, don't step into a thread titled "I don't really like..."

I see the expression "hot take" used to bat away criticism a lot these days, but often it's not used correctly.

Google:
a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.

GoW is not exactly recent news, and has enjoyed plenty of success as well as threads on here praising it for various reasons.
OP is just giving his honest opinion. He wants to vent and hopefully find someone of like mind. Isn't that normal?
There's no need to be so sensitive to a bit of criticism about a successful game.
I agree that too much negativity can be tiresome, but people on here generally punch up, because they have high expectations of the AAA industry.

Nov 11, 2017
OP I agree with you but expect to be killed on your opinion my biggest issue was the enemy variety killing the same large trolls over and over with just different powers ex ice was tedious

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
There is no way having the camera up close to your character is "fine" versus having it pulled way far back to see everything. You might be able to deal with it but it's certainly not helping.

And the reason is because you have enemies in the game throwing shit at you from every which way angle from every which way distance. And the indicators shows that the developers probably know this.

I think it was Super Bunny Hop that mentioned how the off screen indicators translate information easier to the player than actually seeing the enemies on-screen where you have to read their animations and everything, so technically speaking you'll want to have as many enemies that you can't see lol

EDIT: Not SBH, it was Matthewmatosis
Yeah, I just simply cannot agree with this. Pulling the camera back considerably would not compliment what they were going for at all.

Not every design choice has to be in service of "helping you". Sometimes limitations on the players perspective or information provided can enhance the experience. For me it did in the case of God of War.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your own preferences obviously. Just that for me, the close camera enhanced the feel of the game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Wow some of these reactions. Heaven forbid somebody want to talk about their thoughts about a video game on a video game discussion board.
Yet people will make several threads about the latest new AAA hotness to praise it despite an OT already existing.
So really people don't care about another thread, they're mad someone doesn't like the game. Which is pathetic, grow up.
Whining about people making counterpoints and disagreeing with OP is probably the most pointless non contribution someone can make.

The whole point of a thread like this is to converse and discuss different perspectives and points of view. There would be nothing to be gained by everyone just nodding their heads and saying "I totally agree with you".