• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully I don't sound like a knuckledraggin' sexist ape man but I was just wondering if I were alone in this opinion. My wife had her make-up done by a professional artist who does make-up for a Television Morning Show and while she didn't look bad it just something about it I guess I wasn't used to it (It did look better in the pictures we took). I'm trying to grow on this one so maybe make-up isn't for me or women put on make-up for themselves and I am null to the equation? Am I missing something?

forgive my ignorance please.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter what you think; but I agree. I also prefer my wife to not use perfume or scented lotions, but its all on her.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's okay if that's your preference, but it's unnecessary to tell anyone your preference unsolicited. Not all things are for your/male attention.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
This is your wife, so your opinion matters to some extent I would guess. If she did it for herself, then be supportive. If she did it to please you, then be honest with her.

Stopmotionkai

Oct 26, 2017
I also agree, but it's not up to me to decide for others what's good for them.Its pointless to get hung up on.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
When I wear makeup I wear it for myself. My gf thinks I'm beautiful with or without it so that's what really matters.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I agree. She never wears makeup. The most she's done is have the tiniest bit on our wedding day.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My personal preference is no make-up or, less ideally (for me), just light "natural-looking" make-up, but in the end it's not about me. I know that make-up is for their own enjoyment, as others', and more. I firmly believe women should do whatever the hell they want without having to care about the thoughts or inputs of others. Unless (they say) they want it, that is.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
You're allowed to have your opinion, and I respect that. I tend to agree in some cases, but ultimately it's not up to you, me, or anyone else besides that person. It's not ABOUT anyone else but that individual.

The only thing you can do, is just keep your opinion to yourself and try to find a significant other that agrees with you, without you trying to force your opinion on her.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Contouring is witchcraft. Only a chosen few have mastered that dark art

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i always laugh when men say they only like women with a "natural" makeup look. that's still primer, foundation, bronzer, blush, eyebrows pencilled, mascara, light eyeshadow, a nude lip colour, setting spray... etc

grang

Nov 13, 2017
What I've learned is the vast majority of the time men think a woman isn't wearing makeup, they are wearing naked/natural makeup.

Oct 28, 2017

tumblr_lyl6diteyk1qk6m8k79.jpg

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i always laugh when men say they only like women with a "natural" makeup look. that's still primer, foundation, bronzer, brush, eyebrows pencilled, mascara, light eyeshadow, a nude lip colour, setting spray... etc

ymtB0J4.png

What I've learned is the vast majority of the time men think a woman isn't wearing makeup, they are wearing naked/natural makeup.

Nude lip shades seem to be the biggest component - women can have wingtip eyeliner with a nude lip and you'll see men saying they aren't wearing makeup

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Nothing wrong with thinking that. Also not even sure I agree with posts here saying to keep it to yourself (unless I read them wrong, in which case I apologize in advance.)

I tell my wife all the time that I think she doesn't even need to wear makeup. She always smiles when I say it because she it lets her know I think she looks great always.

Mar 3, 2019
i always laugh when men say they only like women with a "natural" makeup look. that's still primer, foundation, bronzer, blush, eyebrows pencilled, mascara, light eyeshadow, a nude lip colour, setting spray... etc

I think that's more the fault of a society that mystifies the whole makeup process to begin with. Most women aren't talking to their guy about their specific makeup routine. And if it's done well it's hard to tell if you did actually apply makeup

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are cultural differences as well. My wife is Japanese, and for her, her friends and her family, their face is not complete without make-up on. For example, they'll shave part of their eyebrows then draw the rest. This isn't the case in France, where being beautiful naturally and not "needing" make-up is ideal.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I think that's more the fault of a society that mystifies the whole makeup process to begin with. Most women aren't talking to their guy about their specific makeup routine. And if it's done well it's hard to tell if you did actually apply makeup

that's true.

another thing: it absolutely bothers me personally, when i've spent the last 30 minutes doing my makeup and looking like a work of goddamn art, when my partner or whoever says "you look pretty without makeup".

i get the sentiment is kind, but if your wife/gf/sister/partner or whoever spends that much effort perfecting their lipstick or eyeshadow or whatever, they will appreciate you a lot more if you compliment how amazing their makeup looks rather than dismissing it.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
It's generally not for you, even if it is your wife.

My wife didn't ask for my opinion on her makeup or hair for the wedding or any photo shoot since, thank God.

Mar 3, 2019
that's true.

another thing: it absolutely bothers me personally, when i've spent the last 30 minutes doing my makeup and looking like a work of goddamn art, when my partner or whoever says "you look pretty without makeup".

i get the sentiment is kind, but if your wife/gf/sister/partner or whoever spends that much effort perfecting their lipstick or eyeshadow or whatever, they will appreciate you a lot more if you compliment how amazing their makeup looks rather than dismissing it.

True, but in all relationships it's a push pull of what people like. Obviously in an ideal world we all do exactly what we want and it lines up perfectly with what our partner likes, but in the real world we make compromises to keep each other happy. For example makeup styles and amounts and facial hair maintenance and styles are two examples

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
that's true.

Well I would never say it if my wife just went through all the work. I would be a fool. You're absolutely right about that.

I use it most when we are in a rush and she is running behind and then looks to me and says "I haven't even had time to do my makeup yet."

Kind or not us men need to be smart about it.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. I would never tell my wife(or another woman) what to put on or anything like that I was just asking cause I don't know shit about this kinda stuff, so I asked.

If it was for TV it was probably overdone so it looks better on camera. It looked weird to you because you know what she regularly looks like.
She didn't do it for you.

She did it for a Television Morning Show.

My apologies. She wasn't going on TV, we were going out and she has some fairly high-level hair and make-up friends that did her up for the occasion.

How often are you asked for your opinion on makeup?

In general or with my wife?

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
True, but in all relationships it's a push pull of what people like. Obviously in an ideal world we all do exactly what we want and it lines up perfectly with what our partner likes, but in the real world we make compromises to keep each other happy. For example makeup styles and amounts and facial hair maintenance and styles are two examples

oh definitely, prob a lot of people out there who feel differently than me, which is more than fine

Well I would never say it if my wife just went through all the work. I would be a fool. You're absolutely right about that.

I use it most when we are in a rush and she is running behind and then looks to me and says "I haven't even had time to do my makeup yet."

Kind or not us men need to be smart about it.

see that's kind, if someone is expressing self doubt about their plain face that is a perfect opportunity to talk about how beautiful they are without makeup.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have an opinion but man some people are super fucking good at makeup, stuff with colors and whatever else i don't know about, it's always very impressive.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't care one way or another, but it's also dependant on the female. Some just look.. better, while others don't need it.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. There's a lot of men who would look damn good with it, and I would probably experiment a bit as well just to see how I look.