• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully I don't sound like a knuckledraggin' sexist ape man but I was just wondering if I were alone in this opinion. My wife had her make-up done by a professional artist who does make-up for a Television Morning Show and while she didn't look bad it just something about it I guess I wasn't used to it (It did look better in the pictures we took). I'm trying to grow on this one so maybe make-up isn't for me or women put on make-up for themselves and I am null to the equation? Am I missing something?

forgive my ignorance please.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I wish it was socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. There's a lot of men who would look damn good with it, and I would probably experiment a bit as well just to see how I look.

omg you should! i know a few guys (straight, if that means anything) who have started experimenting with tinted moisturisers, concealers and mascara. they look GOOD.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not always for you, but contrary to what's being said, sometimes it is about you. If they're in your life and they're that close, feel free to note it.

Otherwise, feel free to ignore.

On a related subject, why are there so many people who always talk about what guys "should wear" to attract women, if y'all clearly understand that people wear the stuff that makes them happy?!

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in a relationship was answering a "how do I look?" question with an honest "too much makeup." Never again, OP; never again.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I wish it was socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. There's a lot of men who would look damn good with it, and I would probably experiment a bit as well just to see how I look.
It absolutely should be acceptable but I'm glad it's not "mandatory" for us, I've had make up done for photo shoots and it's the worst feeling in the world, lol. Plus I don't even have time for breakfast in the mornings.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017

The right amount of eyeliner and/or eye shadow will have everyone checking you out. It's not that it's not socially acceptable, it's just that it's too foreign for most men.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It depends. Makeup can smooth the skin and shave down features in a flattering way. It can also emphasize features or create striking dramatic effects.

The natural look can be great, but obviously it works best for hot people. And like clothing or hairstyling, there's enormous room to apply good or bad taste and technique, and so much variation at every level of complexity.

There are too many factors to make a general statement about whether no makeup is better. Some people excel at everyday makeup that looks like no makeup when you're standing right next to them. Some people are masters of facetune, and you'd never be able to tell what they're altering from their social media alone.

Who even knows what's real anymore?

That said, I've known women who really crust on the makeup, to the point where it looks like they're trying to hide or compensate for something. I can only hope it's their personal preference, and not a result of social pressures or insecurities.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The makeup artist works in TV - which is very clearly why her makeup looked good in photos. Makeup can be done to look nice for up close and personal conversations, it can be done to look good for a lens, and it can be done to look good from a distant theater seat. It can serve different purposes.

That being said, I agree. I am not a big fan of when my wife gets her makeup done, but I've learned to just suck it up and say how nice it looks. I just think she's prettier without it....and have made the mistake of saying that.

Also, I find it hilarious that people are repeatedly suggesting that men have no idea what women look like without makeup. OP is talking about his wife (as am I). You think our wives have their makeup on 24/7 and we just never notice when they do it? You realize people see each other right after a shower or even join in the shower?

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
I made the thread knowing full well that I'm a moron when it comes to these things, that's why I asked. I don't want that smoke, just trying to learn and not be a jerk (even when i don't think that I am)

Don't worry about it. No matter what kind of benign question you can think to ask someone will find a way to shit on you. Your OP was fine and employed some actual thought.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't wear make up for me but more so because she enjoys how it makes her look. She doesn't wear a lot, it's pretty subtle. I'm happy either way. She's beautiful with or without makeup.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to say "You don't need make up, you're beautiful no matter what" and she will smile. You then drop it forever. Didn't you get the script?

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes them feel better about themselves then whatever but I dont care if they do or not. To me I'm looking at eyes and smiles

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
We're morons, sorry.

what-men-think-heavy-makeup-is-what-heavy-makeup-actually-40335290.png
This didn't get the love it deserves.

I wish that were the case moreso for the perspective it would bring. Makeup ain't easy, starting myself has given me so much more appreciation for those who pull it off, and good lord do I understand those who don't bother.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It completely depends on what the person looks like in the first place, and how skilled they are as a make up artist.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
You are free to have your opinion and voice it. She is free to not care what you think. It's probably good to not be negative when someone has put in a lot of effort and is pleased with the way they look.
My wife gives me constant updates about how I look - some I take on board, some I ignore.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
My GF is objectively a stunningly gorgeous woman, when she wakes up first thing in the morning with no makeup she is honestly just as beautiful to me as anyone I've ever seen.

She doesn't know how beautiful she is, due to some lingering issues from her childhood. She wears makeup because she feels better when she does, but I honestly don't really notice a difference. I think her face is just that amazing.

she feels better with it on, so be it. She really has no idea how attractive she is. It's amazing to me how oblivious to people doing double-takes as she walks down the street.

she has insecurities about her appearance, yet she's confident. She's funny and smart and knows it.

she never wears skirts or 'sexy' clothing, literally never seen her in a dress. Just not her style. sometimes I think if I saw her in a little black cocktail dress I'd probably have a heart attack.

funny thing about her makeup, she doesn't wear noticeable stuff. She mostly uses a concealer, which is funny to me because her skin is flawless. It's really fascinating in a way to see how skewed her own self-image is compared to how the rest of the world sees her. The human brain really is a doozy sometimes.

i tell her all the time how beautiful she is, and she's starting to believe it. She's not getting a big head, but her self-esteem related to her appearance is slowly improving

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Typically, if you start your take off with "I'm not a sexist, but", it's probably not going to be very good.

Did my OP sound sexist to you (or any one)?

If so my apologies, I tried to frame my question from the point of learning and not telling. Perhaps I did not do so well. My Bad. I really didn't know if other people shared the same opinion as I. I wasn't trying to imply anything else.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
If I see a powder like texture on someone's face, they've gone overboard. Cake face is like, really uncomfortable to look at. Looks like their skin would fall apart if someone touched their face. WAY worse than a bad complexion.
Not only that, but hiding any and every flaw looks horribly unnatural and hits the uncanny valley.
Light make up or no make up looks best.
Eyeliner makes everyone look amazing however. Not gonna lie, I really have a thing for heavy eyeliner.
Lipstick is cool, too. I like darker colors.

Anyway, most people who like makeup usually do it to impress other makeup wearers, from what I hear.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As far as "unpacking" though, it's pretty clear cut, right? OP can have an opinion on his wife's makeup but also women don't necessarily wear makeup for men. Doesn't seem that complex.
Making a thread about your wife looking uglier because she has makeup on to prepare for a specific event is a decent amount to unpack. OP can have whatever the fuck opinion they want about the way the makeup looks. But to turn it into a public thread about their judgments is completely off base and frankly embarrassing.

Nov 17, 2017
Making a thread about your wife looking uglier because she has makeup on to prepare for a specific event is a decent amount to unpack. OP can have whatever the fuck opinion they want about the way the makeup looks. But to turn it into a public thread about their judgments is completely off base and frankly embarrassing.
Yeah, I think it's weird that OP even felt like they had to make this thread. Kind of seems like they're overly worried about not being progressive enough cause they had a thought about their wife's makeup?

Oct 26, 2017
The way I see it, it's part of her outfit in the same way as her shoes/pants etc. She chose her shoes because she liked the way they look, not because she cares what guys think. Same goes for makeup.

This also reminded of of this post on r/amitheasshole today.