• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The way I see it, it's part of her outfit in the same way as her shoes/pants etc. She chose her shoes because she liked the way they look, not because she cares what guys think. Same goes for makeup.

This also reminded of of this post on r/amitheasshole today.

I mean....it depends on the person. Sometimes I dress myself in a certain way to appeal to people/certain individuals rather than it's because what I want to wear.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It matters what you think only to you, as it should. You can have preferences of course, but most women aren't wearing make up for the approval of yourself or others.

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I wish I were a student of sociology because I find the things humans do out of vanity very interesting. How we value and attach so much our ego to our appearance. Ask a man to shave his head and he might do it with some incentivizing. Ask a woman to part with her hair and it's never going to happen. Society says to women your hair is a huge part of your femininity. Ask a man put makeup on and it wont happen because to be masculine is to be as natural as possible.

Fascinating stuff that goes on inside our primate brains.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked about this with my wife before because I had the same opinion as you when I was younger about how I liked the "more natural" look, without realizing what that actually meant. It's a lot of ignorance on the part of us guys because, well, most of us have no idea how makeup works lol.

A few things I learned:

- Yeah, women put on makeup either for themselves or sometimes, for other women. For example, if she's going to an event where she knows lots of women will do themselves up really nicely, she may do the same to not stand out.
- She had her makeup done by a professional on our wedding day, and like you, she thought the makeup artist was laying it on thick too. She asked the artist about it and the artist said "don't worry, it'll look good in pictures," and she was right. Both me and my wife agreed that she looked a little overdone in person, but she looked great in photos. Which is probably exactly what the artist was going for.
- Makeup is one of those things where doing it well is about making it look like you haven't done anything at all. A lot of makeup is about going for a sort of "effortlessly pretty" and "natural" look, when in reality someone probably busted their ass to look like that. But the whole point is that no one else is supposed to know how much effort went into it except you. So, when a lot of guys (including me when I was younger) talk about the "no makeup" look, they probably don't realize that there is usually makeup involved in getting that look.
- Yes, some girls really don't use makeup at all most of the time, and that's the look that you get in the morning when your wife rolls out of bed. But that's not the same thing as the "no makeup" makeup look.

And of course, makeup really isn't about you most of the time, unless she's specifically doing something for you. The amount of makeup she uses is just her preference on how she wants to look. It's no different from a guy preferring to shave or not.

IMO it's totally fine to think your SO looks best without makeup, but it's your own preference, and she may still prefer to make herself look a certain way for the world even if you think that way. But of course, your SO will always look great to you in any situation, in any level of dress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Making a thread about your wife looking uglier because she has makeup on to prepare for a specific event is a decent amount to unpack. OP can have whatever the fuck opinion they want about the way the makeup looks. But to turn it into a public thread about their judgments is completely off base and frankly embarrassing.

Hang tight...

I don't think I once used "uglier" or implied that on any level. You might be digging for a treasure on the wrong island.

Yeah, I think it's weird that OP even felt like they had to make this thread. Kind of seems like they're overly worried about not being progressive enough cause they had a thought about their wife's makeup?

The question was/is about make-up in general and if I was alone in thinking women look better with out it. To which I have and answer.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it doesn't really matter what you think about it lol. Makeup is just another form of self-expression, like how you wear your hair or what clothes you like. And some people really enjoy it on an artistic scale and get good enough to make careers from it. Not that mystical or deep.

Also so many guys who say they don't like makeup then post pictures of women who are definitely wearing makeup as examples.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hang tight...

I don't think I once used "uglier" or implied that on any level. You might be digging for a treasure on the wrong island.

The question was/is about make-up in general and if I was alone in thinking women look better with out it. To which I have and answer.
I don't feel like women look "better" with make-up on, or am I alone?
That is the literal quote of your OP title. That means you think women look uglier in this context. I'm not digging for shit, just reading the words you wrote. So spare me with this.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the person. My wife is beautiful without makeup but she likes to wear it for work or in social situations and is beautiful with it, though in a more artificial way. On the flip side I work with women who on rare occasions have come in without makeup (they were sick or whatever) and the difference was insane.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
That is the literal quote of your OP title. That means you think women look uglier in this context. I'm not digging for shit, just reading the words you wrote. So spare me with this.

So you could only conclude uglier from that title and with the content of what I typed in the OP? Fair enough. Possibly bad wording on my part. I don't think everyone in this thread got that but that's cool too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So you could only conclude uglier from that title and with the content of what I typed in the OP? Fair enough. Possibly bad wording on my part. I don't think everyone in this thread got that but that's cool too.
If you're saying women don't look better with makeup, you're saying they're uglier with makeup. There's really no way around that. And you asked if it matters what you think in this context: it doesn't, because it's not about you.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your point is akin to saying "I don't think men look better with beards". Some look better with and some look better without. It's entirely subjective and impossible to paint with a general brush like you're trying to do.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Making a thread about your wife looking uglier because she has makeup on to prepare for a specific event is a decent amount to unpack. OP can have whatever the fuck opinion they want about the way the makeup looks. But to turn it into a public thread about their judgments is completely off base and frankly embarrassing.
It's not embarrassing at all, but go off.

It's totally cool for people to discuss their preferences. Some men prefer women with lighter makeup, some with heavier. Some women prefer men with beards, some hate beards. OP couldn't have framed his opinion in a more innocuous way.
If you're saying women don't look better with makeup, you're saying they're uglier with makeup. There's really no way around that. And you asked if it matters what you think in this context: it doesn't, because it's not about you.
Right, and it's not about you either, it's about him and his wife, together.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Eh, it's like any other accessory or form of clothing. Different types look different on different people, has more to do with a person's style/aesthetic and the quality of the application rather than whether or not it's too heavy or extreme, or too plain and natural. Like you said, you're probably not used to seeing your wife look that way and if they saw a TV makeup person it'll probably look like too much in person. Makeup for the camera is a bit different than makeup for beauty I think.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
'It isn't about you.'
Lol.
His own personal opinions don't matter?
You're free to feel whatever you want, OP.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not embarrassing at all, but go off.

It's totally cool for people to discuss their preferences. Some men prefer women with lighter makeup, some with heavier. Some women prefer men with beards, some hate beards. OP couldn't have framed his opinion in a more innocuous way.

Right, and it's not about you either, it's about him and his wife, together.
The OP described his wife putting on makeup, via a make up artist. It's not about him. But please contribute to it being about the OP and his preferences, because that's definitely why his wife hired a professional for this task, despite said OP already acknowledging it not being about him.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
true_beauty.jpg

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
If you're saying women don't look better without makeup, you're saying they're uglier without makeup. There's really no way around that. And you asked if it matters what you think in this context: it doesn't, because it's not about you.

Where are you getting this negative juice from my brother, I never said worse? Just because something isn't better does not mean it has to be worse in comparison, or at least how I understand English. My girl is a straight fox for sure!

In a language I understand. There are additives that people put in there gas or there engine with the expectation that the car will run better and while it doesn't do a damn thing for the engine, it doesn't hurt the car or make it run worse.

I'm not saying anyone looks worse by comparison. I'm not saying anyone looks worse by comparison.
I'm not saying anyone looks worse by comparison. I'm not saying anyone looks worse by comparison.

We good family?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a video of Demi Lavato taking like a pound of makeup off to "reveal herself" and I thought just basically looked the same. I actually liked her freckles without. I don't really get the need for so much foundation at least.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The OP described his wife putting on makeup, via a make up artist. It's not about him. But please contribute to it being about the OP and his preferences, because that's definitely why his wife hired a professional for this task, despite said OP already acknowledging it not being about him.
I guess I just don't know what you mean by "It isn't about you", then... ? When I go to get a haircut (from a professional) after rocking a shaggy look for months, and others tell me the new cut looks good, can you imagine how awkward and self-righteous it would be if I just responded with "It isn't about you"? You've got a bit of a standoffish tone going on in your posts in this thread, and I just find that a bit odd.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
OP: 'I don't like make-up.'

Other posters: 'Uhm actually, it's not for you to decide whether or not a women wears make-up or not, it's her choice!'

OP: '...that's not what I said.'

Two completely separate lines of thinking.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I agree but if they want to wear it more power to them. I've considered wearing makeup because my skin sucks, I wish it was more acceptable for men to wear it. I live in a very conservative area so no way for me.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have mixed feeling on makeup.

On the one hand when done well, it can really enhance a person's features and make them more conventionally attractive. Hell I think even some men could stand to use a bit. But on the other hand it can make people look so different that when they take it off they seem like a completely different person. Almost like they were wearing a mask the whole time.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm talking about semi extreme cases of makeup/product being removed and making someone look very different. Like of course all makeup will make you look different that you generally look but most of the time I dont see that huge of a difference (That Amy schumer video for ex).

But whatever. Do it for yourself, yada yada. I've been enamored with women who wear a lot or a little, so I cant say I swing hard one way or the other.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
On topic: maybe? Depends on the woman/partner/skill/etc.

I look better with makeup. I know so.

I asked my husband before if I was prettier/cuter with makeup.

He said yes.

(He's also said before I'm now more sexually attractive to him with bigger boobs, than before. He's also stated, when I gained weight, that he thought I looked better before I gained weight.)

My husband never lies to me. He'll tell me if I solicit his opinion. He never gives me his opinion on my physical attributes unless I directly ask him.

I mean, I prefer my husband's opinion. I also do my makeup 25% for him when we go out, even though I know it doesn't actually make a difference to how he feels about me. I may be more attractive with makeup but I don't feel the need to wear it around my husband because I know he doesn't care about how I look.

(I also stay in shape, exercise, and eat healthy partially for him. Again, he may not care, but I as his wife do want to look more attractive for him. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be physically attractive for your partner.)

(In fact, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be the best version of yourself for your partner, whatever that may be.)

Holy shit I'm crying. She's incredible

I love her.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends. Some look better with it, some without. Some aren't very good with makeup and apply it poorly, and there's such a thing as too much. So, it depends.

Your point is akin to saying "I don't think men look better with beards". Some look better with and some look better without. It's entirely subjective and impossible to paint with a general brush like you're trying to do.
Men's beards aren't about you. They grow them for themselves.

/S

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Natural makeup is fine but once it's too much or just badly done it just looks weird and tacky.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, there sure are some takes and as a woman who loves to wear non-natural, big winged eyeliner, I can safely tell you all that it ain't about you and what you like. Go ahead and call it tacky, if I like it and I'm feelin' it myself, I'm doing it. The choices women make about the cosmetics they wear isn't about you or impressing you nine times out of ten.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't get the /s, men generally grow facial hair because they like the way it looks
A lot of people are saying the same to OP because he dares to have a preference. It's perhaps one of the silliest, most self-righteous statements I've seen in a while. It's eyeroll inducing. We know why people do things.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The only person who truly knows why they are wearing makeup is the person who is actually wearing the makeup.

Plenty of people in here speaking for everyone.

Aine

May 27, 2019
A lot of people are saying the same to OP because he dares to have a preference. It's perhaps one of the silliest, most self-righteous statements I've seen in a while. It's eyeroll inducing. We know why people do things.

Why are people so hellbent on giving out their unsolicited opinions on how women look?

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I will say whenever I express an interest in trying something different beyond lip color and eyeliner my spouse rushes to assure me I'm attractive and don't need it. Which is sweet, but got annoying to hear every time so I had to have an "I'm not bringing it up to fish for compliments or reassurance, I'm just making talking with you about something that interests me lately" conversation. I just want to try it cause it looks fun. *shrug*