• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Okay whatever if they are that important they should be main story stuff for me. Everything else is game filler time for me as with every game. It's called side quest for a reason. Witcher 3 also had these sidequests which had great development and all, but the game didn't force me to play them to level up for the main quest.

i see Odyssey like Skyrim, there really isn't a main plot to follow. There's atleast 4 main threads to follow. Go forth and adventure! :D

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That Corinthia zone is a 22-25 lvl zone (but in my game, enemies are same lvl as me) . I'm 20 levels above what's necessary in that region, and i'm playing on Hard Difficult.
That's the rub right there. You get significantly more xp for playing on harder difficulties. I played on hard too and never found myself blocked by level content but I imagine that folk on normal or easy might have had a different experience. Ubisoft could have saved themselves a headache if they just scaled up the amount of xp the lower difficulties received so keep the progression speed vaguely the same across all difficulties.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
Okay whatever if they are that important they should be main story stuff for me. Everything else is game filler time for me as with every game. It's called side quest for a reason. Witcher 3 also had these sidequests which had great development and all, but the game didn't force me to play them to level up for the main quest.

Edit: I mean it's a great game for many people and I am happy for them, but I miss my old AC style which didn't force me to play more than I had to.
I'm really sad for you if you only play the main quest in games, even the witcher 3 side quests are way better than the main story, regions in Odyssey litterally have their own contained stories

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i see Odyssey like Skyrim, there really isn't a main plot to follow. There's atleast 4 main threads to follow. Go forth and adventure! :D

So like with Skyrim I would never finish the game. I can see your point and that is a lot of fun for many people, but Assassins Creed was always different for me. : ) Maybe they will find a balance.

I'm really sad for you if you only play the main quest in games, even the witcher 3 side quests are way better than the main story, regions in Odyssey litterally have their own contained stories

No need to feel sad for someone who doesn't want to waste their time. Reading my post you could also see that I did indeed played Witcher 3s sidequests (well many of them), but those were most of the time way more interesting than the stuff I did in AC Odyssey.

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
For those who don't do the side quests
Do you buy games often? I mean it's 60 dollars a game...:o I don't understand why rushing it

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: I mean it's a great game for many people and I am happy for them, but I miss my old AC style which didn't force me to play more than I had to.
Not in this game they don't.

They expect you to do the "side" content. You can decide what quests you want to do but everything is a part of the story. The game is designed like a slice of life TV series. Instead of following a tight story you are following the character on their quest to fulfill their main goal. The adventure is the meat of the story.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you buy games often? I mean it's 60 dollars a game...:o I don't understand why rushing it

Yes I do buy many games (well two a month?) cause I go to work and have the money nowadays. I also don't understand what has this to do with the side quests? Some people just don't want to do this stuff. Also it's not 60 dollars anymore since a few weeks. You can easily get the Gold Edition in Germany for 30€.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I shouldn't have to do boring side stuff or tedious fetch quests to progress in the game. That's bad game design.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So next time around they will make all of these side quests mandatory, and instead of having to do 80% of them, you will have to do all of them. Just to remove these types of complaints.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Ubisoft should implement a menu point "Skip to end credits" for people who don't care about gameplay and just want to cross the game from their backlog checklist. That way you can skip all the "grinding", right?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't do side content or fetch quests.

Given the usual trophy completion stats about 50% of people can't even be assed completing your average open world game these days. Anyone involved in game design, story writing and so on should always be "concerned" with poor completion rates. Watch even the first 30-60 seconds of the video below for a general summary.

I'd say most people dabble in side content and fetch quests, but the number of players who act like a vacuum and suck up all the quest markers will be a minority. Especially considering how generic and run of the mill most of it is.

OP, given your posts in the AC topics I doubt you'll listen to anyone, but some of us aren't impressed with the gameplay direction Ubisoft is taking to gate off main quests behind arbitrary gating.

I'll drop in one of my favourite "short" watches to show how classic PC RPGs handled open-world game design

If the above is claimed to be "too simple" (even although it's built around trusting the player and smart map/enemy design and placement to direct you), then other open world RPGs that have sensible level-scaling systems, so you're never gated, the quests just scale up/down to your level. TES, Skyrim especially, takes level-scaling to the extreme which I hate as well, but at least you can play everything whenever.

Then you can also look to adventure games like Read Dead which doesn't gate quests behind levels, but it's progression-gated. When it makes narrative sense to play something, you can play it. No come back later once you've killed another 100 bad guys.

There is far far far far far better game design than what Ubisoft is doing with such archaic and basic level gating. The reason they won't get rid of it though is that they have a microtransaction store in a SP game selling XP boosters.

That's as simple as it is, even if some vocal on Era have a real difficulty accepting any diverging opinion on AC with this matter.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So next time around they will make all of these side quests mandatory, and instead of having to do 80% of them, you will have to do all of them. Just to remove these types of complaints.
Ubisoft should implement a menu point "Skip to end credits" for people who don't care about gameplay and just want to cross the game from their backlog checklist. That way you can skip all the "grinding", right?
Or let people play through the main story without the necessity of finding Alcibiades' socks, or finding the stolen collar of the woman at the port, or killing this evil general at the fort.

It sounds crazy, I know.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that "it's not an assassin's creed game" again pleaaase no....
I was so tired by Syndicate i don't want to go back except if it's Unity style (the best AC game gameplay before the Origins era)

Dude you have to be joking.

I enjoy ACOD but it's still a grindy mess.

And it's not an Assassin's Creed. There are no Assassins or Templars in the base game. You've got to pay extra for them.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm playing Assassins Creed for the story not side quests, I got stuck in Odyssey because I was horribly under leveled... and then I just stopped caring and traded the game in.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm playing Assassins Creed for the story not side quests, I got stuck in Odyssey because I was horribly under leveled... and then I just stopped caring and traded the game in.
If you were playing it for the story, you should have been playing the golden sidequests too, which are well enough to level you up.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the game with 115 hours in and being level 64. Never was underleveled for a single location I went to.

I guess there are some people that literally ignore everything and only follow a single questline. :)
Seems like that. Also apparently easy difficulty gives less XP, so it can be a factor too.

I'm just like the OP was pretty much 10-15 levels above required from the get-go and 25-30 closer to mid-end game.

In term of complaints, I've seen some stupid shit like the guy going to the minotaur island when he was lvl 20 and complaining that they game level-gated him.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
There are 4 main story arcs in the game and one or two of them open when you do a quest which looks like a sidequest. Also, the quality of sidequests is above and beyond previous AC games.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's been like 4 months now, people have repeatedly spelled out what the problem is, how game length has ballooned over the years with "side content" being practically mandatory and we still have people going

154988139626765.gif

"That's completely ridiculous, I just don't understand how anyone could be underleveled!"

There's an argument to be made in favour of the Origins/Odyssey template and people certainly seem to be enjoying the new format well enough. But if you still don't understand why someone might not enjoy this whereas they enjoyed the previous games, you don't want to understand.

Great post

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If they deem these quests important for the story then I would be fine with it. Now it's side quests...which you could do by the side. If they are really that important and have such great storys in them then Ubisoft should have made them mandatory, but I guess it would be too much bloat for the main story which would force them to do things differently.

I see people still don't know what the word 'grind' means. A hint: It does not mean "doing side content".

That's funny because, yeah sidequest can be grinding too (ever heard of dailys? :P) and the first thing you get by looking up "grind sidequest" is Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If they deem these quests important for the story then I would be fine with it. Now it's side quests...which you could do by the side. If they are really that important and have such great storys in them then Ubisoft should have made them mandatory, but I guess it would be too much bloat for the main story which would force them to do things differently.

Is this a "please make content I want to skip mandatory" request?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
If you're remotely interested in doing the sidequests, especially some of the quest chains that are on some of the islands, it really is a non issue.
Even people who want the old AC back (I'm torn on that) have to agree that discovering elaborate and somewhat important content on your own is kind of neat. It fit the "odyssey" theme of this game especially well.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I didn't play yet, can you go to the end chapter without doing fetch quests and "Ubisoft quests" (like cleaning the map for things that don't matter just to keep the game longer) ?

I only do meaningful side quests and main quest because AC and ubi games in general is not my thing

And if is required to play a lot for banile quests to me it decreases a lot how much I want to pay for a game

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a "please make content I want to skip mandatory" request?

I don't know what you want, but it's a "please include important story bits in the main quest like it's suppose to be" request for me if they are able to.

I didn't play yet, can you go to the end chapter without doing fetch quests and "Ubisoft quests" (like cleaning the map for things that don't matter just to keep the game longer) ?

I only do meaningful side quests and main quest because AC and ubi games in general is not my thing

If you do the golden diamond quests it's absolutely doable according to most people.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
some people dont got a lot of time to spend on their games. there is no reason to not allow them to enjoy the game because they cant waste time on meaningless side missions/quests and would rather just go through the story.
this is a big problem in modern open world games, they do not respect the player's time.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes. Most of my time was just doing the golden quests and it has been a pretty great experience so far.

The game tells you what is busy work and what is meaningful.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't know what you want, but it's a "please include important story bits in the main quest like it's suppose to be" request for me if they are able to.

What makes you feel your take on how "it's supposed to be" is actually how it's supposed to be? Open world RPGs count on side quests for you to get xp and appropriate loot, it's been that way in Witcher games, Dragon Age games, Mass Effect and others, why are people pulling Surprised Pikachu now?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And if is required to play a lot for banile quests to me it decreases a lot how much I want to pay for a game
Well, you're required to be in the last level to get the endings of some of the storylines. Not sure if that was changed in a patch or not (I know they raised the level cap, but I'm not sure if the missions are still capped at level 50).

I'm not 100% sure if the now called "main side quests" are all you need to get there.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been like 4 months now, people have repeatedly spelled out what the problem is, how game length has ballooned over the years with "side content" being practically mandatory and we still have people going

154988139626765.gif

"That's completely ridiculous, I just don't understand how anyone could be underleveled!"

There's an argument to be made in favour of the Origins/Odyssey template and people certainly seem to be enjoying the new format well enough. But if you still don't understand why someone might not enjoy this whereas they enjoyed the previous games, you don't want to understand.
AC is a RPG now, an this is a staple of most RPGs. People are justl yelling
at what the game advertised itself to be. Don't buy a RPG if you don't want to play one

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I see people still don't know what the word 'grind' means. A hint: It does not mean "doing side content".

Grind, in its simplest form, means doing the (usually mundane) stuff you don't want to do in order to do the stuff you do want to do later. So grind means different to different people, but some people still want to attach a universal definition to it that applies to everyone.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There is no grinding if you just play the damn game.

And there's grind if you wanna jump from main mission to main mission as if it were AC2, which it isn't.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC is a RPG now, an this is a staple of most RPGs. People are just teYlling
at what the game advertised itself to be.
To be fair, both The Witcher 3 and Horizon have the same RPG template, and I never felt missing as many (or any) levels as in Assassins Creed. I definitely had to do way less side content in those games in comparison to Odyssey and Origins.

I don't think it has to do with MTX or whatever as some people want to pivot this discussion, but I really think Ubi has problems with its progression balance, at least in AC. And it surprises me, because Origins and Odyssey are made by two different studios, and the rest of the Ubi games of this "new era" (Wildlands, Far Cry 5, etc) don't have this problem.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This.

Back in my day, it meant doing the same thing over and over to get XP or cash. But now apparently it is playing the game like the developers intended.

Japanese RPG grind and what is broadly being spoken about here are two different things. I continue to be amazed on supposedly one of the internets largest gaming forums people are purposefully or ignorantly conflating "I grinded in Final Fantasy to level 99" with discussing what is generally Western open-world RPG formulas.

Even the recent JRPGs have adapted to be less grindy as they used to be, now more favouring optional bosses or dungeons as what may require grind, not so much the MSQ.

Grind comes in many different forms, and having to or feeling obligated to clean up generic quest markers, towers, radiant quests, picking plants or whatever mundane task it is to keep up with a level-gated MSQ is perceived as grind whether some of you like it or not. It's archaic design. It's often clumsy, cheap and not organic. This isn't an MMO, it's a SP game and the design ethos behind a SP game should ALWAYS be about favouring the player.

It attaches to what can often be referred to as open world bloat in many Western RPGs that have been pumped out in the last 5~10 years. The further rustling of jimmies here is when people perceive said bloat to start shifting into the "mandatory" rather than the "waste time doing this shit if you want". I don't personally care if you want to 100% the AC map, that's up to you. The design balance for a multi-million unit selling franchise, however, should consider not everyone necessarily wants to spend weeks 100% every generic thing on a map. Not to mention any developer or designer who cares about their product should always be considering the level of quality of put into it, from writing to repetition, to how mundane something is.

Again, I implore anyone wanting to seriously explore game design around open world concepts to watch that video I posted above and also re-look at games like Morrowind, or even TW3. Take off any blinders around how much you personally enjoyed the latest AC games, or Ubisoft open world games and try and understand it's okay to critique the path Ubisoft is going down.

Last edited:

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Well, you're required to be in the last level to get the endings of some of the storylines. Not sure if that was changed in a patch or not (I know they raised the level cap, but I'm not sure if the missions are still capped at level 50).

I'm not 100% sure if the now called "main side quests" are all you need to get there.
Ok thanks

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese RPG grind and what is broadly being spoken about here are two different things. I continue to be amazed on supposedly one of the internets largest gaming forums people are purposefully or ignorantly conflating "I grinded in Final Fantasy to level 99" with discussing what is generally Western open-world RPG formulas.

Even the recent JRPGs have adapted to be less grindy as they used to be, now more favouring optional bosses or dungeons as what may require grind, not so much the MSQ.

Grind comes in many different forms, and having to or feeling obligated to clean up generic quest markers, towers, radiant quests, picking plants or whatever mundane task it is to keep up with a level-gated MSQ is perceived as grind whether some of you like it or not. Its archaic design. It's often clumsy, cheap and not organic.

It attaches to what can often be referred to as open world bloat in many Western RPGs that have been pumped out in the last 5~10 years. The further rustling of jimmies here is when people perceive said bloat to start shifting into the "mandatory" rather than the "waste time doing this shit if you want".

Again, I implore anyone wanting to seriously explore game design around open world concepts to watch that video above, and also re-look at games like Morrowind, or even TW3. Take off any blinders around how much you personally enjoyed the latest AC games, or Ubisoft open world games and try and understand it's okay to critique the path Ubisoft is going down.
TW3 ? You need to complete side quests in that game to properly keep up with the main quest in that game too, what hell are you talking about?

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I never had a problem, like you I completed all the side quests I found to make sure I clear each area. But not everyone wants to do that. The side missions felt just as 'designed' as the main ones, so it never quite felt like a grind doing those.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Doesn't it depend on the difficulty? I turned it down to easy because I got bored, but this just made leveling up more grindy. It was awful.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
Because on this forum side questing is the new grind.

Besides, each difficulty increases xp by 50%. I also played on hard and never had problems with level. People who played on normal and easy usually had.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is such a big complaint for Origins and Odyssey because these are the first games in the series where you have to do side content to progress the main story. What's the harm in having a different mode that caters to long time series fans while also having the normal game for RPG fans?
I think it's sometimes considered an issue because it's not normal for the AC series. But for an RPG it's a very efficient system, that doesn't require grinding at all, and you'll be fine with only doing some of the side quests. Complaining that you can't skip straight to the next core plot point all the time just sounds weird to RPG gamers. "Can't I just skip to the point where I find Ciri already? Why do I need to bother with the Baron and these bog witches? Why did I need to help the mute kid who loves to defecate to the sunrise?"

I also completed all the side content and exploration I could find (other than the procedural stuff, which I always ignored), and had the same issue - so massively over-levelled I could skip ahead to zones that were supposed to be for high end content. But I did the same thing in the Witcher 3 and found I prefer Odyssey's system of levelling up enemies to a couple of levels below you to keep that content at least somewhat interesting. In TW3 I was just one-shotting everything, boss fights lost all sense of challenge and tension, and it marred the gameplay for me.
Witcher 3 has a setting same as Origind and Odyssey that brings lower level enemies up to your level.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
IMO the use of the word "grind" isn't hugely applicable to this game.

I agree that you shouldn't have to complete side quests to advance in the story, they should just be bits you can do if you want.

But Odyssey hardly had you literally GRINDING enemies a level or two above you to earn XP to reach a certain level MMO style...

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
What makes you feel your take on how "it's supposed to be" is actually how it's supposed to be? Open world RPGs count on side quests for you to get xp and appropriate loot, it's been that way in Witcher games, Dragon Age games, Mass Effect and others, why are people pulling Surprised Pikachu now?

Its not true in Mass Effect, the games fully scale to level. Its not true in DA2 either, and I don't think its true in DA:O - DA:O has limits on level scaling but I think you'll be OK if you follow the right order of main quests, particularly since .

Mandatory side quests were a thing in DAI, and it was a mistake - the game is absolutely better if you don't get bogged down too much in the open world stuff. But Bioware weren't selling XP boosters, so it just looks like a questionable design decision rather than attempt to extract more cash.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Grind comes in many different forms, and having to or feeling obligated to clean up generic quest markers, towers, radiant quests, picking plants or whatever mundane task it is to keep up with a level-gated MSQ is perceived as grind whether some of you like it or not. Its archaic design. It's often clumsy, cheap and not organic. This isn't an MMO, it's a SP game and the design ethos behind a SP game should ALWAYS be about favouring the player.

It attaches to what can often be referred to as open world bloat in many Western RPGs that have been pumped out in the last 5~10 years. The further rustling of jimmies here is when people perceive said bloat to start shifting into the "mandatory" rather than the "waste time doing this shit if you want". I don't personally care if you want to 100% the AC map, that's up to you. The design balance for a multi-million unit selling franchise, however, should consider not everyone necessarily wants to spend weeks 100% every generic thing on a map. Not to mention any developer or designer who cares about their product should always be considering the level of quality of put into it, from writing to repetition, to how mundane something is.

Again, I implore anyone wanting to seriously explore game design around open world concepts to watch that video I posted above and also re-look at games like Morrowind, or even TW3. Take off any blinders around how much you personally enjoyed the latest AC games, or Ubisoft open world games and try and understand it's okay to critique the path Ubisoft is going down.
You do know that you can just play the golden quests right? These have the same quality as the main missions and give you good rewards. They are not busy work.

Hell the game itself tells you what is busy work and what isn't. I never once felt pressured into doing anything I don't want to do. In fact it was very similar to TW3. Something tells me you didn't even play the game to educate us on this subject.