• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
One of my favorite games of this gen. Mario is just so fun to control and some of the moves you can pull off by chaining stuff together are crazy
It's ok to not like things other people like. Just means youhave different tastes

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you don't need to understand why you don't like it, there are a lot of acclaimed games that i don't like too. If you start questioning yourself why many people like something and you don't, you may end up becoming a cynical person without realizing it. I've seen it happening many times...

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Don't play the game anymore and come back to it in 1 year.
You *may* appreciate it, sometime games just needs to be played with no more hype around to be truly appreciated. Your expectations were possibly too high.
By the way, I prefer 3D world over Odyssey.
3D World is bad on almost every level, so no.
Nah.
3D world is just one of the best Mario with Galaxy, so many greatness in every level. It's ok to be wrong.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play it the more I'm convinced it's my favorite mario game. It feels so good just to move around in the game and the movement options enabled by Cappy are so darn satisfying. When you master them you can turn every level into an amazing playground where every piece of geometry serves to offer you new approaches.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From the 3D Marios, this is my personal favorite not after Mario 64 but on par with Mario 64. I always had my fair share of problems with 3D Mario games. I never warmed up with Sunshine. Galaxy was kinda cool, but not when you suffer from Motion Sickness. Also, Galaxy was a little to gimmicky for me.

Odyssey, on the other hand, let's you do what you like. The game gives you free hand with hundred of crazy ideas and huge worlds. Of course, the core gameplay of collecting the moons isn't the most creative one and some of the moons are hidden in a very uncreative way, but this is just a little downside in an overall great experience. It did not top Breath of the Wild, but it is a damn good 3D Mario game.

If you don't like it, it's totally fine because it's the same like with me and both Galaxy games which were praised as one of the best console games of all time from many.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only real critique I have about the game is when it comes to shines they kind of went more quantity over quality in terms of objectives.

The long and short of it though for me is Mario is just fun to control the traversal is cool and I just liked exploring the worlds and figuring out all the puzzles and things.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to see why people like the game. Personally, I think it's a game that's impossible to dislike. It's just immensley likable. But where I broke from that early feedback loop was that I don't think it's a game of the generation, or game of an era, or really doing anything that hasn't already been done better by a previous Mario game. It was such a universally acclaimed game, and one that so many fans and critics thought was 'perfect,' but I really thought it was just a very good game, which I still think it is.

If they had cut out all of the fluff moons, which is probably more than 50% of the moons of the game, then I think it would have been a better game. For me, less would have been more, though I get how some collectionists or perfectionists really enjoy getting however many hundreds of moons there were.

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
It is a good game? yeah, it is a great game? no

For me Mario Odyssey is missin tons of stuff, and I hate when developers fill their games with stuff only to hide the game's main lenght, Just like Breath of the Wild If you play the game's main story You will see how short the game really is compared its predecessor. I don't understand how BotW got Game of the year.

Mario Odyssey is a fun little game and it is not near to Mario 64.

Oct 28, 2017
Even Nintendo doesn't bat 1.000 with 100% of its fans. When people tell me they don't like BotW or Odyssey i look at them crazy? Whatever man.

thenadamgoes

Nov 17, 2017
I don't like the chore of collecting moons. Usually, in Mario games picking up a star or a mooon feels good, it's a rewarding experience, but there are just so many of them that after the initial maybe... 50, they lost their magic almost entirely. Getting a moon felt like I was performing a task rather than having fun, if that makes sense. And a lot of them didn't even provide a challenge and felt entirely meaningless.

This is probably my main issue with the game. I really loved it except for the millions of moons to collect. It just keeps going and going and not in a "Cool, a new thing to discover" way. But a "ugh, I have to go back over there to find that moon" sorta way.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The levels are straight boring.

Super Mario 3D World was 10 times better than this game, Im just trying to finish it now so I can sell it or trade in.

FWIW, Mario Odyssey is mostly not level based. It's an open world platformer. Strange to compare level-based games with open world games, IMO.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help you OP because I find the love for the game utterly baffling. It's a platformer with no complex platforming or even slightly difficult platforming.

This is only true if you want it to be. You just have to look at some of the platforming required for the "find a balloon" mode to see how far the mechanics can be taken and how hard some of the platforming can be. Most of the time there's a easy, slower path that you can take if you want to, or you can ...I don't want to say git gud, but there's lots of room for experimentation and complex maneuvers.

For me Mario Odyssey is missin tons of stuff, and I hate when developers fill their games with stuff only to hide the game's main lenght, Just like Breath of the Wild If you play the game's main story You will see how short the game really is compared its predecessor. I don't understand how BotW got Game of the year.

Uh, because the story isn't the main point of breath of the wild. If you only played it by beelining straight to the four towns and then to fight ganon, it's easy to see how you missed what made it critically acclaimed.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Don't worry. You're not alone.

The main problems with the game are:

- The most interesting stages are tiny and (New Donk City excluded) the large stages are rather bland with only small pockets of anything interesting.
- Moons are thrown at the player like they're nothing. I've never seen inflation ruin a game's primary goal like this before.
- Cappy is just a gimmick. Half of its functions are a recreation of Luma from Galaxy, while the body snatching is always limited to a few things per stage.
- In a series renowned for different suits giving different abilities, the game always you to collect dozens of suits that have zero impact on the gameplay.

I enjoyed the main story, but it was short and reasons above gave me no reason to want to keep playing the post game.

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
3D World is a dramatically better game

The levels are straight boring.

Super Mario 3D World was 10 times better than this game, Im just trying to finish it now so I can sell it or trade in.
yrFYOoN.gif

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably my main issue with the game. I really loved it except for the millions of moons to collect. It just keeps going and going and not in a "Cool, a new thing to discover" way. But a "ugh, I have to go back over there to find that moon" sorta way.

I think the game shines best when you don't take a completionist approach. I had fun 100 percenting the game, but I don't have any desire to do that again. Yet I do an any percent or world peace run weekly.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah. This is absolutely my biggest issue with the game. It completely took away any motivation I had to go back and get anything, and for long periods of time, even finish up the main story.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's the best Banjo-Kazooie game ever. It offers little in the way of challenging platforming, but your brain is constantly being tickled by the game rewarding creativity and observation with moons. I also thought the level designs were very distinct, from the more flat nature of Sand Kingdom to the aquatic traversal of Seaside Kingdom to the verticality if Metro Kingdom to the linear Galaxy feel of Bowser's Kingdom. Nearly all of them are memorable.

Thought the OST was quite good, too. Maybe it's not Galaxy tier, but bangers like Jump Up Super Star, Steam Gardens, Cascade and Seaside Kingdoms and Break Free are all here to stay.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

You can go directly to Ganon after the Plateau. BotW is just a 1 hour long game. Why do you play games, BTW?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, which I understand. I'm just genuinely trying to understand the love for the game. Like I said, I can see it in games that I absolutely despise, but with this I just don't see anything.
People like the things that you listed and don't think it's "uninspired?"

What's up with people not being able to understand that every game isn't going to be for them and will be for other people? It's okay.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like the game that much up to the end of the campaign, but the post game really clicked with me to the point the game is now my most favourite 3D platformer ever .

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
FWIW, Mario Odyssey is mostly not level based. It's an open world platformer. Strange to compare level-based games with open world games, IMO.
it's Nintendo's fault for using the same brand for both kinds of games. People are naturally going to compare two games from the same franchise.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's fun and feels good to play.

I can't fault someone for saying the level design is bad, though - it's not great. There aren't enough good, solid platforming segments, and weirdly, it took the release of the balloon hunt for the game to really require some creative and skillful use of Mario's moves.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
You're suffering too much, OP. You don't like the game, fine, move on. It's just a videogame after all. I personally love the game but I agree that the amount of moons are so high that grabbing some of them sometimes feel like a chore and are not that fun and rewarding. And the level design in some kingdoms made me scratch my head several times but those times were very rare. Game is amazing in general IMO. Way better than 64 and Sunshine together. And the music is fantastic don't know why you're saying it's generic. Steam Gardens is now my favorite Mario track ever! Love those 60s beach band sounds so much.

Edit: Oh yes and controlling Mario in Odyssey is pure bliss. Best controls in any Mario game/3D platformer ever.

Edit 2: And the 2D segments are super cool too. The blend between playing 3D Mario and 1 second later you're playing in 2D classic pixel Mario is awesome and so seamless.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly not a top-tier Mario. It severely lacking in challenge and that dampens the fun for me pretty badly. The music is kinda there, there's some decent tracks but hardly any real standouts. But mostly I agree that 1000 moons is just a ridiculous number that should have been cut down dramatically (I think 300 is even pushing it). There's just zero feeling of accomplishment when you grab a moon.

There's a lot to love though and I consider it a worthy Mario entry, but it's being held back by some pretty major factors that previous Marios didn't suffer from.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Movement and traversal is so good. So, so good. It's a feature that's underrated often in games, if simply getting from A to B is a fun then it really helps a lot. Part of the reason why I loved Gravity Rush 2 and Spider-Man and why I hated Watch Dogs.

That said, Odyssey is far from perfect as a whole. It's mostly a case of quantity over quality. I loved it at the start but as I got closer to the end the flaws just became more and more obvious. The difference is just at what point you notice them. The Joseph Anderson video helped, too. I'm going through a similar experience with Octopath Traveler now I've mostly explored the world and actually had to deal with the plot.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the game, but I actually agree with most of your points. Mario controls amazing, I love his agility and moves, but the game was such a disappointment for me. Music and level design leave a lot to be desired.
Galaxy 1+2 and 3D Word are so much better when it comes to 1 of the 2 things that matter the most in a platformer: level design (the other are controls, of course, that's where could Odyssey beat them).
I didn't even care enough to finish Odyssey's Crown world :(

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
If you don't like it then you don't like it. I get feeling left out of the fun people are having, but just like what you like and try to think nothing of it. It's like asking why a joke was funny if you didn't understand it. People can sit and explain to you all day why the joke was funny, but it won't actually BE funny to you, you'll just understand why. Same with the game, if it isn't fun, it just won't be even if you get why on a meta level that it is to others.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Is Mario adopting the Zelda cycle? I'm pretty amazed at how many people on this thread talk about how terrible is SMO and how amazing is SM3DW

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
It's just straight up unbalanced imo. Has way more things to collect than other Mario games, but way fewer and less interesting locations and platforming challenges.

Cap and Cascade Kingdoms have absolutely nothing on Bob-Omb Battlefield or Thwomp Fortress. Snow Kingdom is incredibly bland, with nothing interesting to do. The Desert level is also uninspired, with tons of boring empty space. The kingdoms that are actually interesting (Metro, Luncheon, Bowser) are better, but still have too few interesting platforming challenges to make up for the rest of the game.

While Odyssey has more collectibles, I think 64, 3D World and the Galaxy games actually have a decent amount more content/gameplay. They're also more fun to play and especially to 100%.

With that said, Mario in Odyssey is more fun to control, and I loved the Lost Kingdom.

Oct 30, 2017
You know what I don't understand? These threads. Like, seriously. It just feels like the goal is being a troll magnet. There's only like 9,279 extremely positive videos and reviews out there, that clearly detail what the person loved about the game. It's not something that's difficult to find. Why pretend you don't understand what people like about it, when there's already millions of words out there that explain just that? How can it be such a "mystery" when there's thousands of hours of public video of people detailing that?

You can disagree with absolutely all of that, but then you can't pretend that you "can't understand'. What unique insight will come out of this thread, that isn't already out there?

I'm not "thread-whining". My lack of understanding about the real point of this thread is sincere. "I want to shit on Odyssey, and looking for others to do the same" seems more genuine than "I don't understand the love for this game, please help" when there's so much content out there SPECIFICALLY outlining the why of that love. I don't think you're looking to, or even open to, being convinced of anything at all.

Last edited:

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
You can go directly to Ganon after the Plateau. BotW is just a 1 hour long game. Why do you play games, BTW?

I don't like short games, I love games that takes tons of time
I was commenting the fact Nintendo hide Breath of the wild's lenght behind stuff that are not important for the adventure, Ocarina of time is a longer game. I guess this is for another topic since I'm going OFF TOPIC.
Why do you play games?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Incorrect.

One of the reasons Odyssey has the best movement in a Mario game, and 3D platformers overall, is cappy and the additional moveset associated with him.

Watch someone who learned to fully utilize cappy and tell me it's a gimmick.
Absolutely. The movement tech for this game is out of this world and Cappy is almost exclusively the reason for that.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the point of some of these threads, especially since you have already experienced the game and decided it's not for you
It's one thing if you have not experienced and were initially turned off and on the edge to buy the game or not... I rarely find these threads turn out anyone manages to convince the OP's mind, unless they deceive themselves to fit-in

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I didn't like it either and for similar reasons. I actually didn't even bother finishing it, which is a first for me since Sunshine, a Mario game I also disliked.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I don't like short games, I love games that takes tons of time
I was commenting the fact Nintendo hide Breath of the wild's lenght behind stuff that are not important for the adventure, Ocarina of time is a longer game. I guess this is for another topic since I'm going OFF TOPIC.
Adventure is not the same as story.

For me, the adventure is my own and generally more important than the story in a game like BotW or the original Zelda. Same goes for randomized versions of The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, or ALttP. Exploring and making my own adventure over a "corridor" that I have to follow is much more preferable to me.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Do you really think someone is going to convince you?
I love this game because of nostalgia, the choices in movement, the worlds, the originality compared to last gen Mario, the Donkey Kong sequence, the love and fun the developers had with all the little past references they put in.

But like so many others said, it's okay to not like something.
(I don't like cars, sports tv, Quentin Tarantino movies, Apple, reality shows, famous youtubers, vacations, shopping, children, religion, and most importantly, I don't like mondays. I've accepted that many, many people do seem to like these things. :) )

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
There's no shame in preferring an obstacle course design like 3D World to an open quest design.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't play the game anymore and come back to it in 1 year.
You *may* appreciate it, sometime games just needs to be played with no more hype around to be truly appreciated. Your expectations were possibly too high.
By the way, I prefer 3D world over Odyssey.

Nah.
3D world is just one of the best Mario with Galaxy, so many greatness in every level. It's ok to be wrong.

It is absolutely okay to be wrong, so I accept you being wrong about the artless, bland, low-point for 3D Mario that 3D Mario World represents. :)

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think there's anything to "get". I loved the music, I found the story and presentation charming, I loved the levels. I liked that it was more of a story-driven 3D roamer than an ultra-tight linear platformer since I'm a little burnt out after god knows how many of those in a row from the Mario franchise.

You didn't like those things. Different strokes.