• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
3D World is still the best. I enjoyed Odyssey, though. A lot.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rank it below 64 and Sunshine, just didn't enjoy it. The way 64 and Sunshine slightly reshuffled levels for each objective, and the fact that each were at least a several minute time investment made things much more engaging than a sandbox of glowy spots to buttstomp or throw your hat at. The initial runs through each level were kind of interesting. After that, just pure trash cleanup.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It took me a lot longer to get through the game than I originally thought it would. I figured I'd be glued to it from start to finish, or rather hoped. After finally beating all I could think to myself was, 'that's it??'

And no I didn't go back and collect every moon. Much like what the OP states, I found many of them to be almost too random to find and simply had no motivation to just go looking around aimlessly.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
It's okay to not like things.

Zelda BOTW is one of my most disliked games I've played in years and everybody else seems to adore it.

It just happens. Lol.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Odyssey is a funny one, isn't it. I played through it, and now I'm halfway through the postgame content, and I definitely had fun but... there's certainly something underwhelming about it.

I often feel like I have to work very hard to have fun in the game. Even though the levels are very dense and there are so many moons to collect, I often feel like I'm searching for something to do- looking for those more substantial gameplay sequences that offer a proper platforming challenge, for example. Just walking around the level finding easy to get moons is very unexciting. Even with the post game content, it's such a chore having to walk around the map to search for those entrances- just let me play the damn levels!

Another issue is being able to capture things with the cap. Most of the time, this is just used for specific small areas of levels- e.g. you need to transform into X creature to get across a gap or destroy a wall. So it becomes really arbitrary, a bit like the use of items in the overworld in pre-BOTW Zelda games; 'Use the feather to jump across this arbitrary gap to get to the next part of the map'. So for me, the cap mechanic just breaks the flow of gameplay, and doesn't offer much player freedom or improvisation in return.

The levels themselves are good, mostly, but they really suffer from having to hold so much content which is essentially just busywork. There is such little sense of achievement in the game.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
You know what I don't understand? These threads. Like, seriously. It just feels like the goal is being a troll magnet. There's only like 9,279 extremely positive videos and reviews out there, that clearly detail what the person loved about the game. It's not something that's difficult to find. Why pretend you don't understand what people like about it, when there's already millions of words out there that explain just that? How can it be such a "mystery" when there's thousands of hours of public video of people detailing that?

You can disagree with absolutely all of that, but then you can't pretend that you "can't understand'. What unique insight will come out of this thread, that isn't already out there?

I'm not "thread-whining". My lack of understanding about the real point of this thread is sincere. "I want to shit on Odyssey, and looking for others to do the same" seems more genuine than "I don't understand the love for this game, please help" when there's so much content out there SPECIFICALLY outlining the why of that love. I don't think you're looking to, or even open to, being convinced of anything at all.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, dae shudder when people talk about "challenge" in a video game? Am i wrong thinking it reeks of humble bragging? Please help.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I enioyed the game overall, but I absolutely agree with everything you said in the OP. 90% of the Moons (if not more) are absolute trash, and there's nowhere near enough levels in the game that actually test your platforming skills.

Disliking Odyssey is understandable imo.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I mean all your complaints are very valid, the game is way too easy and designed around busy work than interesting level design. The boss battles I think exemplify just how easy it is, it really feels like they copy and paste a lot of ideas around so you are doing the same kinds of things over and over, too much for my taste. My major problem with the game is actually the core mechanic and I think its the major reason the game falls flat in terms of difficulty. Because any puzzle that isnt a straight platformer, its 99% of the time solved by cappy. It makes the puzzles very dull because you always know how to tackle the situation without even the slightest thought. The OST is pretty dull too imo, outside of a couple of tracks, it feels very generic.

Overall though, its a fine game, not a 10/10 like a lot of people have claimed, but its not bad by any stretch of the imagination as, yes, mario's movement is fantastic.

My major complaint with the game is the dive. I get that they made it a set velocity so you could use it in conjunction with the cap to double jump, but it just doesn't feel as good. And because it's such a low risk high reward combo, it becomes the main mode of platforming. It just feels cheap to me.

Other than that, the structure is pretty great. I love going back to the collectathon roots of 64. Only thing I really want is less recycled areas. The amount of boring floating color blocks were kind of a let down, and the ruined kingdom was such a tease.

And the capture mechanic is awesome. And I feel like they didn't even scratch the surface with what they could do.

Overall, It didn't blow my mind like I hoped, but it's solid. I hope it doesn't take them too long to iterate on this formula again, because there is a ton of untapped potential.
I don't get the complaints here on how Cappy is a crutch and is used too often. You do realize that he is the central gimmick of the game right? Of course the game would make use him a lot. It's the same for most 3d Mario games.
I also find it funny that people say that he's a crutch while ignoring that most 3d Mario games do this as well.
Sunshine - FLUDD
Galaxy 1&2 - white Luma or whatever the fuck it's called

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I enioyed the game overall, but I absolutely agree with everything you said in the OP. 90% of the Moons (if not more) are absolute trash, and there's nowhere near enough levels in the game that actually test your platforming skills.

Disliking Odyssey is understandable imo.
I think that saying that the game is a poorly designed or trash is completely laughable to me.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the game is as well as it was recieved and I do feel that some of the super easy moons do take a bit of the luster away from the harder ones (I know why they exist, I'm still not a fan).

It's not a bad game by any mean... but I wouldn't rank this as my favorite 3D Mario platformer.

Also (again I know why because they wanted to make the game more approachable), I would've loved a lot less handholding (which ties in with the super easy moons) and the over excess of explaining and text that I don't care about.

Jan 9, 2018
I love it because it feels like a celebration of Mario and my fav Mario was 64. It's not a 10/10 for me but I'd give it a high 9

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
On reflection and replaying through, I understand why people may not enjoy the game at all. The controls are superb, really enjoyed the music but you nail some of the biggest problems of the game with the levels and moons. There's very little challenge involved to gain a majority of the moons which are the primary objectives. Most moons feel randomly placed rather than carefully placed points which requires players to make use of the controls to reach. The game requires more effort for players to find actual real challenge in platforming when every single part of the journey of the game should have been challenging to various degrees. It would be the equivalent of gating each region in Breath of the Wild behind collecting certain amount of korok seeds. They're at most side content for players to interact with along the journey.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I don't understand? These threads. Like, seriously. It just feels like the goal is being a troll magnet. There's only like 9,279 extremely positive videos and reviews out there, that clearly detail what the person loved about the game. It's not something that's difficult to find. Why pretend you don't understand what people like about it, when there's already millions of words out there that explain just that? How can it be such a "mystery" when there's thousands of hours of public video of people detailing that?

You can disagree with absolutely all of that, but then you can't pretend that you "can't understand'. What unique insight will come out of this thread, that isn't already out there?

I'm not "thread-whining". My lack of understanding about the real point of this thread is sincere. "I want to shit on Odyssey, and looking for others to do the same" seems more genuine than "I don't understand the love for this game, please help" when there's so much content out there SPECIFICALLY outlining the why of that love. I don't think you're looking to, or even open to, being convinced of anything at all.
At least someone said it.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think that saying that the game is a poorly designed or trash is completely laughable to me.
Well it's a good thing I didnt say that? I said the Moons are mostly trash, which I don't think should be divisive? So many of them are just sitting out in the open or given away for the most mindless of tasks. It's clearly all very intentional, though. They wanted to make 3D Mario much more open, and that means you have to have way more Stars than usual because you can't have the world feel empty. The sacrifice there is that you're never going to get close to 999 high-quality Moons.

That's a very valid criticism.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i normally don't contribute to these threads when i haven't actually played the game, but i think it's apropos to mention that Galaxy was one of my most lucid gaming experiences ever yet i cannot gumption myself at all to actually buy and play this game. part of it has to do with the nintendo tax because at like $30 i'd be okay whatever. i'm sure it's a perfectly solid play on the mario 64 formula but in terms of direction with the 3D series it all just seems "eh..."

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Well it's a good thing I didnt say that? I said the Moons are mostly trash, which I don't think should be divisive? So many of them are just sitting out in the open or given away for the most mindless of tasks. It's clearly all very intentional, though. They wanted to make 3D Mario much more open, and that means you have to have way more Stars than usual because you can't have the world feel empty. The sacrifice there is that you're never going to get close to 999 high-quality Moons.

That's a very valid criticism.
Whoops, I worded my comment incorrectly.
I agree with your previous comment that there are disliking the game is understandable.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly agree with you. I had fun with it, and it looks beautiful, but it felt weirdly empty and shallow. Playing this after 3D world made it even worse, as that is absolutely my favourite 3D Mario. Usually I can go back to Mario games time after time, but I just don't feel any urge to play Odyssey ever again.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you truly don't understand the love for Mario Odyssey, you're willfully choosing to ignore the internet. It's not hard to find the answer to this.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's good no doubt but it's the most pedestrian 97 MC game I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the complaints here on how Cappy is a crutch and is used too often. You do realize that he is the central gimmick of the game right? Of course the game would make use him a lot. It's the same for most 3d Mario games.
I also find it funny that people say that he's a crutch while ignoring that most 3d Mario games do this as well.
Sunshine - FLUDD
Intentionality doesnt mean something is good, cappy was not good as a central mechanic imo

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I like Odyssey a lot, but I think it needs a sequel to flesh out its ideas more sort of like Galaxy 2. There's plenty of potential in this formula, and they nailed Mario's movement, so that's a good start.

To touch upon the music for a bit, I noticed that they went in a different direction compared to past Mario games too. I think they intended to go into a more atmospheric direction for the soundtrack, and I still enjoyed it. Does atmospheric music belong in a Mario game like this though? Maybe. You spend a lot of time exploring and picking up moons frequently in the level without ever being kicked out. It's not a very adrenaline pumping experience, so many might say it's appropriate.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way that Cappy is used in Odyssey is no different to how FLUDD and Luma is used in Sunshine and Galaxy.
I would say that FLUDD and Luma were more compliments to the core platforming than an all encompassing solution like cappy is because the mechanics of one capture will be completely different from another

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
64, Sunshine, and Odyssey draw their appeal from the thrill of movement more than the challenge of platforming. Other Mario games (2D, 3D Land, and Galaxy style) all lend themselves towards obstacle-course style gameplay of one kind or another, but 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey are more parkour-style in their thought. "What's the most creative way you can get from point A to point B?" Mario 64 had the caps and a new set of moves for Mario, Sunshine had FLUDD and Yoshi, and Galaxy had Cappy. A vast array of ways you could interact with the world, and you could switch between them seamlessly.

I too feel like the overabundance of moons made them feel like a bit of a chore, but only if your goal is to get moons as quick as you can. I think if I had the chance to be more leisurely with the game, it would be mystical.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine - FLUDD

You are puting words in my mouth. I don't dislike that cappy is a focus. I said I don't like the feel of the move. It is the implementation I dislike. Fludd doesn't change how Mario's main moveset from 64 functions. Neither does Luma, however Mario doesn't feel quite as good as he did in sunshine, which doesn't have anything to do with Luma.

I feel that Mario's moves should be consistant, and that additional mechanics shouldn't interfere with that, but add to the moveset. Which has been mostly the case thus far in 3D mario. I wish the hat dive had a bit more finesse to it, and that they didn't completely change the dive to accommodate making it easy to pull off that combo. That is my issue here.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
You are puting words in my mouth. I don't dislike that cappy is a focus. I said I don't like the feel of the move. It is the implementation I dislike. Fludd doesn't change how Mario's main moveset from 64 functions. Neither does Luma, however Mario doesn't feel quite as good as he did in sunshine, which doesn't have anything to do with Luma.

I feel that Mario's moves should be consistant, and that additional mechanics shouldn't interfere with that, but add to the moveset. Which has been mostly the case thus far in 3D mario. I wish the hat dive had a bit more finesse to it, and that they didn't completely change the dive to accommodate making it easy to pull off that combo. That is my issue here.
I don't even know why I quoted you. My bad.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's okay not to like things that are popular. Play what you enjoy, OP, and don't stress it :).

I've had a copy of Mario Odyssey sitting in my room since the day it came out. Have I played it? No. I don't own a Switch.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one can help you understand why it's great. Either it's not for you, which is cool, or you're looking for an ax to grind, which isn't cool.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find myself going back to Odyssey a lot. I even started a new save file just to go through the main story again. I just find it a joy to play. Some of the worlds are so much fun to play around in (Seaside Kingdom is incredible).

I really liked BOTW but I absolutely do not get the whole "GOAT masterpiece" status that people bestow upon it. But I could give a shit. To me, it's definitely not a masterpiece and that's all that matters.

Don't need to make sense of these things, OP. Just appreciate your own opinion.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand the point of creating threads for why others love a game that you don't. I mean, there's not much else to say other than they disagree with a lot of your own points and had a great time with it. I personally hate the Soulsborne games and don't like them for precisely the reasons why everyone else on this forum loves them. I just don't see the same value in the game as everyone else and that's okay. There's no point in making a thread about it

I would say that FLUDD and Luma were more compliments to the core platforming than an all encompassing solution like cappy is because the mechanics of one capture will be completely different from another
While the different captures are different from one another, I'd argue that Cappy does compliment the core platforming because of how well the ability works and flows from capturing the enemy, leaving it, and using it for various other purposes. It's certainly one of the most creative abilities I've seen, at the very least, and one of the most smoothly integrated

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it, but I think it will age the worst out of the mainline 3D Marios, even behind Sunshine. It's hard to escape the hyperbole when something is fresh, but it's really not that good of a Mario game. Like you said, outside of the movement, everything else is average at best. My largest beefs are the moon bloat and level design. There are wayyyy too fucking many moons that are braindead to collect. It makes all of them feel worthless. They should have focused on 240 or so instead of haphazardly shitting them all over every area. The art style is disjointed by design, but it doesn't work. The food kingdom is the only level that worked for me, aesthetically. The amount of empty space in a lot of the levels felt more like checking a box for size than serving any actual purpose. The desert level is the best example of how awful the empty space is, but every level has it to some extent.

If I ever replay it, I'll probably skip 70% of the moons.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game but also the most overrated game this gen. The controls are amazing but there isn't anything in the actual design of the game that deserves that metacritic

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out, I wasn't. I feel like I'm in an incredibly small minority of people that dislike the game. I find hardly anything, outside of how nice it looks technically speaking, and the stability of the game. I also do tend to agree that Marios moves feel absolutely incredible, and wish more had been done with this.

I don't like the level design, I don't like the world designs, I don't like the music, I don't like the story, I don't like the challenge the game provides. I don't like the fact there are so many, incredibly meaningless moons that are found by pure luck or doing something as silly as groundpounding a specific area on the floor. Everything in this game felt like an absolute chore, and picking up the game every time to play it was more so try and grasp what people liked about it that I just wasn't getting.
I'm right there with you OP. I think a lot of people just love Mario and how he controls so much to the point that the actual content itself is irrelevant, and is just an excuse to continue playing as this character with this game feel. It's nowhere near enough for me but it is for a lot.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game but also the most overrated game this gen. The controls are amazing but there isn't anything in the actual design of the game that deserves that metacritic
There's plenty in the game's design that earns merit. It's by no means perfect but it's hardly the most undeserving of its accolades

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

Quality post. I feel the same way.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty in the game's design that earns merit
Like what? the actual platforming and level design isn't on par with previous Mario games or some other 3D platformers. The story isn't really worth mentioning. The collectibles don't feel engaging due to lack of challenge. Cappy is a fun mechanic but executed with little depth. Honestly, the only moment of brilliance came with the hidden moon.

Oct 26, 2017
Like what? the actual platforming and level design isn't on par with previous Mario games or some other 3D platformers. The story isn't really worth mentioning. The collectibles don't feel engaging due to lack of challenge. Cappy is a fun mechanic but executed with little depth. Honestly, the only moment of brilliance came with the hidden moon.
Well it's a more open 3D Mario than any of the others and it's focused more so on exploration than the platforming. In that regard, it handles it fantastically, as I was constantly finding new areas to explore, new enemies to capture and experiment with, and new ways to utilize Mario's fluid expansive moveset

Odyssey's story in no way takes away from the game, seeing as, like with nearly every other Mario game out there, it's not a focus

Lack of challenge doesn't make something unengaging. The fun comes from the options you have to obtain the collectibles and finding them as you explore

...executed with little depth? Mario's move set is so expansive and the capture mechanic is integrated so well that this isn't a point that makes much sense

You not finding much enjoyment in this doesn't make it undeserving of its accolades any less than me disliking Bloodborne makes it unworthy of the same

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thing about Mario games for me is that I've played soooo much 2D and 3D Mario in my life that I feel absolutely nothing when a new one comes out. I tried Odyssey but just felt kind of bored while playing. I couldn't shake that feeling that it was something I've already played a million times.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I am not sure what it was, but I just could not get hooked on this game. I was just not having fun and felt the game was a little generic overall. I have played almost every Mario game and this one is not even in my top 5. Perhaps I am feeling like Zukkoyaki when he said that he has played so many Mario games that new ones come out and he feels really nothing. Franchise fatigue perhaps, but did not have this with any other Mario game.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Odyssey almost feels rushed to make sure it hit the launch year. The underlying skeleton is great but the tissue on top of it is really thin.

I think that's why there are so many moons in such mundane places, since it makes it less noticeable that the same area is missing an actual sequence. Like they got near the end of development and just dropped moons everywhere.

Odyssey needs a Galaxy 2 type sequel.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the people complaining about lack of challenge really got all moons. I'm not saying it's the hardest game ever, but I'm fucking good at 3-D platformers, and there's definitely some challenging stuff post-game.

I hear the "most moons are meaningless" angle a lot, but I never fully connected on it, because the sheer joy of running around and exploring levels is the real game, and moons are just a way to formalize that structure. Sure, they aren't stars, but they were never meant to be. "What's that over there?!" is a feeling I want to feel in a game like this, but in previous iterations, the best the game could do was give you a 1-Up mushroom or some coins, and frankly, I don't give a shit about those. They reward exploration at the slight cost of "cheapening" the experience of getting a moon, but because it doesn't take you out of a level, I never felt bothered by it.

I absolutely love Odyssey, and the lack of DLC for this game has troubled me from the outset.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a good no doubt but it's the most pedestrian 97 MC game I've ever see.

"Pedestrian"? Because games like Tony Hawks Pro Skater deserves to be up there more, right?

Odyssey is one of the most creative, polished, surprising, and joy-filled games I've played in my life. It literally oozes creativity.

Pedestrian. A Mario game where you transform into 50+ entities, each with unique gameplay mechanics, movement, abilities, etc. Including a dinosaur. World themes never before seen in a Mario game and surprising as hell.

I swear this place is fucking hilarious sometimes. I know, "opinions".. but wow. There's absolutely nothing pedestrian about this game.

Also love all the "I haven't played the game but this post affirmed my concerns" posts, as if the overwhelmingly positive impressions and reviews did nothing to influence you, but this single OP did. Gold.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's ok not to like things. Not all games appeal to everyone. It is definitely one of the best feeling platformers to play. I personally do like a lot of the things that you said that you dislike however. I will say that the only reason you feel a lack of challenge from the collectables is because there are so many. If you seek to find all of them, you'll find plenty of challenge. I played this game nearly non stop in my free time until I had 999 moons, then I was sad because there was nothing left to do. The balloon challenge thing isn't really my sort of thing, so it's been collecting dust ever since. It's one of the hardest stops I've ever had in a game I like so much.