• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you. I really tried to like it and played ~ 10h but it never clicked. It's not a bad game but i find it incredibly boring.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I more or less agree, though I did find it interesting enough to play for around 20-ish hours since the game just sort of drops you in the world, and fucking around with the physics engine was fun. Overall maybe a solid 7.5 for me.

Or it's the game lol. Weird reply.

Is it the game when the majority of the people like it and find it a great game? Besides, people are different. For all the GOTY nominees for example, you can see here people saying that Horizon, Persona 5 and Nier are bad games or that didn't clicked with them but at the same time it did with a bunch of other people. Is it the game then, again?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
You literally described everything I like most about the game

Guess it's just not for you

Also you shut your mouth, the soundtrack is amazing. That horse music makes me cry

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. But you gave it a try, and it didn't work for you. At some point, you have to accept that the game simply didn't click for you.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Weater conditions: again, they make no sense. You are in a sunny plateau, you walk one step, and you are now in a frozen wilderness where you can die because of the temperature. There should be something in the middle.
If you look at the temperature meter, there's really a progression between a warm and cold area. There's even different tiers of clothes regarding cold protection.

But yes, this is a game that doesn't provided an strong plot and makes players chose their progression style.
It's not for everyone, i have some friends that abandoned it because they wanted a more focused and guided experience, but i do think the "issues" you're talking about are mostly subjective.
The reviewers and a lot of players find the innovations and systems on the game so great that they can forgive the shortcomings and give the game 10/10.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I agree with you. It was a bland and boring game for me. That's ok there are ton's of games out there with different tastes.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with what OP is saying, I put 15-20 hours into it and felt no desire to want to continue. I started HZD a couple of weeks back and love it, whilst others don't think that much of it.

It's all good, we're all different. I'm gutted I can't get into BOTW as much as most people have, but hey, I'll move on and play something I do enjoy.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't quite as disappointed as you OP, but I do agree with your criticism. The story and weapon durability were definitely not aspects of the game I enjoyed.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
You gave it a shot and didn't like it, which is fine. I, on the other hand, fell deep into the BOTW timewarp last night, and didn't even touch any of the new DLC. LOL

Weapon durability doesn't bother me in the slightest. The number of slots you have initially does though... and even expanded, there are just way too many weapons out there than you have room for. It's nice to always be rotating gear, but I just wish the game did it more elegantly UI-wise.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, sounds like the games not for you.

This game is very very very reliant on intrinsic motivation, and if you are looking to be motivated extrinsically, its just not going to grasp you. As someone who has been lamenting the almost complete extinction of intrinsic design in large games like this, I couldn't be happier, but its very obvious that laying this foundation came with a price, although I think the next one will reach that beautiful balance between the two that made the series so special in its formative years.

It differs from ubi-open worlds not in what you get, or the extrinsic aspect, but how you get there, what you actually get to do, as opposed to watching the computer do it for you.

The people who like the game, like intrinsic design, and have had precious little for decades, certainly nothing like a huge mainstream zelda title, while franchises that used to be the pallbearers for us turned away. BotW was literally a huge breath of fresh air for the suffocating....

So many of us do, of course, recognize its shortcomings, though most dont talk about lest we occur the wrath of the defendo-bots, but we also are more than willing to take those shortcomings in exchange for what we got in return. Although as I said, we do expect the proper balance between extrinsic and intrinsic come the next title, now that the bulk of the work, laying the foundation, has been accomplished with botw.
Lol, this is just a really roundabout way of saying "make your own fun." I played Gmod for years, intrinsic motivation is great, but this a single player RPG from an established franchise that has a lot of baggage. I don't think intrinsic motivation is that strong here; the freedom of movement is great but it's nothing like Gmod or Minecraft.

My biggest problem with the game is that my motivation to do anything is lacking overall. The physics system isn't quite dynamic enough to make 60 hours of experimentation worthwhile, and story/rewards are all bad imo.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Like we say in Spain: "Hay gustos pa' tó".

Don't worry, you don't have to like every game that is popular ^^

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
judging from your post it seems that you have played enough of the game so it's probably just not for you

I always recommend that people play for a bit after getting off the plateau and you have so yeah, I think you're good to go

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Enjoying the hell out of it right now. agree with the shrine complaint though. I've done around 50 and most of them just feel..pointless? Whatever it takes to get more hearts I guess. I need to slow down on the main quests though because I've rarely explored or do side quests.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's okay, not everyone has to like a game even though it won multiple GoTY awards. I didn't like Half Life 2 too much but it won a lot of awards so a lot of people must be having fun.

What games are not "not generic" open world game for you anyway?
Well, the Witcher 3 had a very peculiar open-world. Just by exploring you could trigger a quest, and those quests were all different (excluding the "clean the nest" and similar fetch, of course). FFXV also has a generic open-world, the same MGSV. Of course it's my opinion etc.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you're "just playing it wrong". That's what I was told for finding the game rather boring too, and I guess I never learned how to play it correctly either.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is it the game when the majority of the people like it and find it a great game? Besides, people are different. For all the GOTY nominees for example, you can see here people saying that Horizon, Persona 5 and Nier are bad games or that didn't clicked with them but at the same time it did with a bunch of other people. Is it the game then, again?

Well yeah, it's about you, and the game. If you read the post I quoted, there's a pretty heavy implication that you're just not getting it right now for some reason, try it again later! The sudden smugness of the bolded part made me chuckle btw.

e: talking about exactly what Sanctuary above had to hear

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
The user was warned for this post. Don't thread-whine.
Nice response brah! Not a shitpost at all!!
I mean when you there is a new thread at least twice a week about someone who didnt like BotW as much as everyone else it does get annoying after a while. Given all the threads that do get locked, it is annoying that we get a new thread every week about someone's personal feelings about BotW. Most of the threads like these feel like they would be better suited to just a response to one of the 50 something threads that have already been made. Just reads more like a call for attention and that people who didnt like the game as much have more importance than those who did enjoy BotW. Not trying to thread whine but it is about obnoxious how hot and bothered BotW makes some people.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not every game has to click with everybody. Some of your complaints I share. I still found enjoyment in the end though.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Botw is subtly really good.

I really didn't start appreciating it until I had a couple of stressful IRL moments.

All the stuff I considered bothersome work in the beginning, dealing with weather, finding the preferred locations for weapons I want to replace, the blood moon, foraging for koroks and running or galloping to new locations became meditative for me.

Botw became my 2nd job but it was a game through and through worth coming back to each time killing a ton of hours.

All these impressions about BOTW having little to no story make me so excited to play it. I hated how many of the past titles would dump you in a boring village for an hour just to hammer it home how much of a lowly bumpkin Link is before he starts his adventure.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I did really like was the gameplay and how many ways your can approach combat like in MGSV.

They must've done an insane amount of play testing to come up with all of that.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You truly are Punished.
no worries it's fine to not like a game i found some mayor critical aclaimed games boring too, we people are all different :P move on i would say.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I think this game has some crucial issues, but the OP probably didn't play the game long enough to run into them.

Those complaints are legitimate design choices, which though they are questionable, are still for the most part fine choices.

Weapons break, but weapons are everywhere. Personally, I think that's arbitrary enough to the point where it brings very little positive to the game, and would have been better off removed. Still, I think it's fine, and definitely balanced out by the abundance of weapons. You also don't have to fight in most parts of the game, and it's a great way to encourage you to not be overly aggressive.
The developer should be allowed to curb behavior with limitations. That's just design.

The weather conditions are hazards. Though there's a nearly immediate shift between surviving and freezing to death, there's also a nearly immediate shift in Link's body heat when he switches from a t-shirt to a warm sweater.
So they balanced it, for the purpose of keeping you mindful of the way the temperature system affects other parts of the game.

The story is definitely weak. However, having the weakest story in the Zelda series isn't saying much, since they all have pretty shallow stories to begin with. Which makes sense. Miyamoto really doesn't believe games need story. The plot that enfolds through your agency in the world should be the story, in his view, which makes sense.
If you were every trying to play one of these games for story, you've been setting yourself up for failure.

As far as upgrades, once you leave the tutorial area, there really are no substantial ones. If the game was 20 hours long, that might be feasible, but I actually think this is a design flaw, as the game can last you mote than 70 hours even if you aren't trying to do most of the sidequest and shrines. Playing for that long without any added depth or learning of the game's mechanics will get boring for many. It's why normal Zelda games keep giving you cool stuff up until the very end.
Learning curves can be fun. Sadly, this game's depth will end somewhere between you finish the tutorial area, and understanding the complex interactions between the systems that run the "physics and chemistry" of the world. That's cool, but 70 hours in, you kinda wish you'd see something new. Hell, 20 hours in I was already feeling that way.

So I'll agree with you on that last part. And the story being weak too(, though my low expectations based on the previous games made me not care so much).

But you're entitled to not like the game. It's your time. Don't waste it trying to like something that's not clicking with you. Fans be damned.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean when you there is a new thread at least twice a week about someone who didnt like BotW as much as everyone else it does get annoying after a while. Given all the threads that do get locked, it is annoying that we get a new thread every week about someone's personal feelings about BotW. Most of the threads like these feel like they would be better suited to just a response to one of the 50 something threads that have already been made. Just reads more like a call for attention and that people who didnt like the game as much have more importance than those who did enjoy BotW. Not trying to thread whine but it is about obnoxious how hot and bothered BotW makes some people.
Yeah, this didn't happen on GAF when TLoU or Bloodborne was the new hot shit. There were people who didn't like those games...

...but there weren't two or three threads a week made by people who felt their negative opinions about TLOU and Bloodborne need to stand out from the crowd of positive ones. While that's been a pretty major trend with Nintendo games this year, as though there's a bevy of people who don't want to just make their disappointment known, but seem to want to influence the entire narrative surrounding the games with a dedicated 'disappointment' thread (or twelve), at which they can point and say "Look at all this disappointment! Not a vocal minority! Something something Honeymoon! Everyone will come around to my perspective of truth once the blinders slip off!"

With that said, the OP has no agenda, they're just disappointed with a game that, by most other accounts, is the shit. They're trying to reconcile their disappointment with the game's critical acclaim and reception, which is understandable on some level.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games where I wish we could see what the reaction would be if it was exactly the same but a random new IP instead of Zelda and maybe published by Ubisoft or someone. Though I do like the game so far.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I have ADHD and playing open world games is usually extremely overwhelming for me. The fact that this game didn't bog me down with 500 points of interest on the map and let me traverse basically anywhere I wanted to made it doable for me. I play basically every Zelda game that comes out, but I'm not a fanatic for the series, so this being a pretty big departure wasn't a problem imo.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put 20 hours into it before realizing I just wasn't having much fun. Thankfully I was able to trade it in for full price because of an insane deal Gamestop was running earlier this year.

I've come to realize that any game that asks me to walk 5 minutes to get to something just isn't for me. My ADHD brain cannot deal with these giant open world games. I don't have the attention span for it. There is this weird thing where I feel like I'm missing out on something, as others think this is one of the greatest games ever made, but I just can't do it.

On the flipside, Mario Galaxy is my GOTY. It's constantly entertaining you and never asking you to do tedious shit.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Did you happen to drop it in a pile of Game of the Year Awards?

Har har har but seriously... Just like a month ago I was feeling really lukewarm on breath of the Wild. I Revisited it and some more stuff clicked. Keep in mind, I liked it a lot to begin with. A month ago though, I was feeling like Jeff's 7 out of 10 was maybe the appropriate score. Now I'm scene that this is 10 out of 10 game of the year.

I feel like I really saw both sides firsthand. All the criticisms in your post are valid and I felt they wait on the game a lot. Yet I've also been of the mind that none of those drag the game down at all. And I spent a lot of time thinking about this game since it came out.

So that's just my little story about mixed feelings on this game. I think you should definitely try it some other time down the line.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of Breath of the Wild, to me, was to exist in the world. To take it all in, uncover it, meet the characters, stumble upon locations. I appreciated how the soundtrack was handled - when you're out in the wild you feel it, thanks to the ambient sounds. When you enter a location there's a palpable sense of being in a place, thanks to the music.

I can see how it could be boring. It did felt like a Zelda game to me, though - particularly when you visit the towns/villages that neighbour the game's dungeon equivalent. It has the character, it has the charm, but it has the addition of scale. I enjoyed the shrines as Portal-like distillations of dungeons. I liked the upgrade system - a good reward for tackling shrines, but not a necessity. But I do get how the game wouldn't resonate the same way with everyone.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame op. It was the best gaming experience for me in over a decade. Let's hope the next Zelda builds on this and manages to appeal to some of the people missing some of the classic Zelda conventions.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda ever made (together with ALTTP and ALBW). It's okay to not like BOTW.
I really like it but I'd rather play SS or TP instead of replaying BOTW. The most disappointing thing is the soundtrack and the lack of oldschool dungeons.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the game isn't for you. Weapon-breaking and stamina are crucial elements to the game. Being able to climb up a mountain you were only able to look at earlier or defeat an enemy you couldn't even touch before shows how important they are. BotW is about a lot of struggling for minor victories that add up. If that isn't for you, then that isn't for you. Don't sweat it.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I exhausted myself on this game by playing like 70+ hours the first few weeks it was out.

I just burned myself out.

After a 4 month hiatus though, I got the itch again and mainlined the rest of the game (final Divine Beast, then Hyrule Castle / Ganon). If I hadn't buckled down and mainlined the last bit I probably would have meandered about and activated checklist mode with the side-quests and stuff, leading to burnout again.

Critical path is the way to go if you want to enjoy yourself in this game, imo. At least if open world type games usually burn you out.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you had a chance to play it on Switch, you might find that handheld mode helps.

I can simply say I loved it to bits. The world was incredible.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped it right after I repaired his magical tablet. I wish I didn't buy the Switch so early just to play Zelda.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I feel the same OP. I have tried 3 times now to get into it, and every time once I leave the Plateau I just don't care anymore. Not to say the game is bad or shouldn't be GoTY or anything, I just found it boring. We all like different things so it's okay, it is interesting to see people shitposting saying it's okay to be wrong and shit though, as if everyone has to like the same stuff. Annoying.