• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a significant other and im in a new city so i usually watch movies alone. I live in a bachelor 1 and a half room, so im using my computer screen as a TV. But recently, i just can't watch a movie without stopping in the middle. I can't seems to focus enough even tho the movie is really good, not because of a lack of investment, but it's become too easy to pause the video. If it's too cringy, I pause, if it's too horror i pause, etc. Something you can't do at the cinema.

I didn't do these type of interruption before, except while watching the office, but im doing it more and more and i don't know why.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Turn off your phone and hide it somewhere so you won't have the temptation to use it during the movie. I have to do that or else I'm browsing on Era lol

Oct 28, 2017
Do something else then

I just recently got back into watching movies again. Having a 5.1 system proper is a blessing.

Oct 28, 2017

74ce76c6-3735-4b3a-a7mdksg.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't have a significant other and im in a new city so i usually watch movies alone. I live in a bachelor 1 and a half room, so im using my computer screen as a TV. But recently, i just can't watch a movie without stopping in the middle. I can't seems to focus enough even tho the movie is really good, not because of a lack of investment, but it's become too easy to pause the video. If it's too cringy, I pause, if it's too horror i pause, etc. Something you can't do at the cinema.

I didn't do these type of interruption before, except while watching the office, but im doing it more and more and i don't know why.

Turn on the movie, get up and put the remote next to the tv, sit down and enjoy

Oct 28, 2017
OP, do you have other hobbies at home that might interest you more? There may be a reason just sitting down and watching something isn't capturing your attention.

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP, do you have other hobbies at home that might interest you more? There may be a reason just sitting down and watching something isn't capturing your attention.
Honestly, i think it's because i don't work hard enough on my personal project (finishing writing that damn Choose your own adventure novel), and i always guilt thinking about it and it decrease my appreciation of my other hobbies i think

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I feel you, as I also share the same problems when watching movies, except for anime because I actually need to pay attention and read the subtitles lol.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I can't watch movies or shows alone anymore, they have become a social activity to me, I need someone else to share it with.

The last few times I've tried I just stop a few minutes in because I realize I would prefer to be playing a videogame instead.

Whenever I find a movie I think looks interesting I wait to find someone to watch it with.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's why I love the theater.

for sure. its super easy to be engrossed in a good movie at the theaters too (beyond just the ones that are full of spectacle)

unless you go to one of those oft-mentioned theaters people on this forum complain about where people are somehow shitting their pants and clapping and screaming every 5 minutes.

hope theaters never die in my lifetime. its become far too easy for me to pause a movie at home too, to go grab a snack or do something for a second.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, i think it's because i don't work hard enough on my personal project (finishing writing that damn Choose your own adventure novel), and i always guilt thinking about it and it decrease my appreciation of my other hobbies i think

Sounds like you need to work up the will power to isolate yourself from your distractions.

I also enjoy writing. I have a quiet room in the front of my house where it flows best for me. No tv, no distractions - I don't even bring my phone in there. Just me, a pen, a notebook, and a bookshelf for motivation.

My buddy likes doing the same at a little donut shop a few miles or so down the road.

Ultimately, I think our brains tell us what we want to do most. We just have to listen. Try meditation maybe. idk im thinking too much lol

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Watching it on your computer screen probably isn't helping. Especially if you're just sitting at your computer desk while doing it. The few times I've tried watching a movie that way haven't worked for me either since there's always the option to alt tab or put it in a side window and multitask. I rarely watch anything on my computer over 15 minutes in full screen.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I have a similar problem.

Movies are simply too long for me. I often get distracted and pause it, even though I have a big TV and surround sound system. Sometimes I treat it like an episodic show; pause, then continue later or tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even start them. I couldn't tell you the last movie I watched at home.
Actually, I can't tell you the last movie saw in the theater. I still need to see the last Star Wars, for instance. I think it might have been Endgame, maybe.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Why start a movie when you can simply scroll through the queue on half a dozen different streaming services for 90 minutes without ever watching anything?