• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I laugh when I read a review saying it takes X hours to get "fun"

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Games aren't something that need to be defended, it's just a way of someone trying to acknowledge your viewpoint, recognize they felt the same, but explain how that may have changed.

Some of you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You are correct, that doesn't make the intro "good" when the rest of the game is better. But it does mean that it's a valid statement to tell someone that the game gets better if they stick with it just a little bit more.

And I *have* read statements that Zelda BotW was too linear, from people who hadn't made it off the Great Plateau yet. Are you suggesting those people shouldn't be told that the game gets better once they make it off the Plateau?
If people are bored with the Great Plateau they should put the game down and play something else. It's an enormous game with many, many things to do and see, but the Great Plateau is basically giving the player the entire gameplay loop toolbox and if they're not feeling it ... just walk.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You are correct, that doesn't make the intro "good" when the rest of the game is better. But it does mean that it's a valid statement to tell someone that the game gets better if they stick with it just a little bit more.

And I *have* read statements that Zelda BotW was too linear, from people who hadn't made it off the Great Plateau yet. Are you suggesting those people shouldn't be told that the game gets better once they make it off the Plateau?

Considering the plateau is everything that makes the game great just condensed I would probably say yes. Unless the reason they didn't like the plateau was weirdly specific like a lack of horses or glider to get around.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's often used as a defence.

It's usually people trying to help someone get their money's worth.

Additionally, there's definitely a bunch of games where you can simply 'not get it's until an X amount of time with it.

Bloodborne is a big example.

More recently, it took my a long time to find the charm in Crackdown 3, Greedfall and others after bad first impressions.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Those games have long learning curves, but I think that's an entirely different concept. With good learning curve games, you'll know you suck and can't do anything, but it's clear the game will be awesome once you figure it out. You don't need to wait until a certain point really, you just need to uncover how to use the tools the game gives you. If they do it right, the sense of Discovery is itself a fun game.

This is definitely not always true. Demon's Souls is a famous counter-example. Its bad first impression is the reason Sony did not publish it outside of Japan. Personally I came close to giving up on the game a couple times in the first few hours.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I have been conditioned to endure the first couple of hours of any JRPG. Sometimes I get genuinely surprised by games like Octopath Traveler which I fell in love with as soon as I moved my character for the first time.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FF XIII is a perfect example. That game was so exhausting to play, and for me it never got better, or rather, i can't remember having any fun with the game. Then FFXIII-2 happened, and so many people told me, it's so good, you have to play it, even if you don't like it at the beginning. I played it till the end and never liked it. So now i just don't listen to people telling me "just keep playing, it will get better", cause it want. If you don't like the Story, Chars, World, from start, then just stop playing it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
All media actually has this issue - The Office (American version) had a horrible, horrible first season. Then it got really good. Should we not tell our friends to keep watching, because we think they will enjoy the overall show once they make it past the mistakes?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that complicated. It's trying to help other people get value out of their purchase. For instance if someone wanted to drop Horizon: Zero Dawn in the earlier hours that's the advice I would give, as that was my experience.

It's 'stop playing then' responses that I think are useless.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It depends. If a game has a bad beginning, then it must nail the ending, so that you remember the ending, rather than the opening. This is the reason why FFXIII and Xenoblade 2 fell completely flat on their faces - the games got better over time, but nowhere nearly enough to redeem themselves.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
All media actually has this issue - The Office (American version) had a horrible, horrible first season. Then it got really good. Should we not tell our friends to keep watching, because we think they will enjoy the overall show once they make it past the mistakes?

But you could just start with the good episodes of the office.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Some games just require a greater investment upfront.

See: Crusader Kings II, Dwarf Fortress, Kerbal Space Program, etc.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Exactly. Having to invest time into something does not equate it being bad if you don't.

As a sidenote.

Most things in life work like that. Most things do get better at point X when doing it.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Having watched the show all the way through like eight or nine times - the first season is fantastic. It's packed with incredibly awkward and funny moments. Diversity Day alone is a top-tier episode across all seasons. Health Care is another incredible, slow-burn episode that gives us insight into Michael's complete lack of leadership and inability to be forthright with his employees. Season One really sets the "awkward" tone that carries through the rest of the seasons. In fact, season one of The Office feels like a realistic concept of office life with a touch of goofiness, where the seasons that follow it becomes a fantastical land where you've got fans wishing to actually be a Dunder-Mifflin employee.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
When it comes to recommendations its absolutely valid, because the opposite would mean that it is metaphysically impossible for a game to get better, which is obviously an absurd notion. When you talk about reviews, or discussions about the game's "objective" merits as compared to other games, then certainly you might have a point. I can at least agree that it is wrong to dismiss complaints about bad opening sections just because the game happens to get better.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Some times you need to invest time and brain power into figuring a game out before it starts clicking. That can be frustrating at times!

If you need wall to wall instant gratification then you might want to check out candy crush

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
There almost always appears to be some connection with the people that make that argument about a mediocre game and the amount of free time and nostalgic connection they have. I love Final Fantasy with a passion, but it's the character development, environmental design, music, and inessential dialogue that keeps me entertained. In other words, the stuff in between the major plot points. Even Dragon Quest, as conservative as that series is, still keeps me entertained between the big cut scenes. That's what I think makes a good JRPG for example, just because that sub-genre is so notorious for extended play times and the shear volume of dialogue you have to go through.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
It depends.​

If a game doesn't become enjoyable until you reach "point-X" due to bad game design / boring content, then it's the game's fault.​
See: Twilight Princess​

If a game happens to feature a learning curve and doesn't become fully enjoyable until the player has actually learned how to play, then it's the player's fault.​
See: Zelda II, Alien Soldier, Vagrant Story, Demon's Souls​

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Even in Monster Hunter the early hours and gameplay loop are enjoyable and the core experience doesn't massively change in anything but intensity over time. If someone hated hunting a Great Jaggi because they find the process of finding and chasing the monster tedious and the time it takes to kill it annoying they'll probably not enjoy hunting a Rathalos 20 hours later. It's not that you shouldn't need to learn a game or a game shouldn't be able to pace itself it's that if someone is having an issue with a game (for example the first 5 hours is just awful content) they'll rarely get over it by doing nothing but playing more of it. There's a difference between a difficulty curve and someone not liking a game or mechanic.

Gotta say I disagree. Learning curves aside, early game content in MH is genuinely worse than mid-late game content. The monsters are lame, the gear is lame, the quests are worse, the tutorials bombard you with info at a rapid pace, you don't have nearly as many options as you have later on. In world they make you do quests to find camps, but they don't explain why or what very well so you're just running around not sure what's going on or what to do. And that's without considering the complexity of just using your weapon properly. It makes perfect sense for somebody to not enjoy the early game of monster hunter only to be hooked later on because they stuck with it. Happened to me. Happened to my friends. Will happen again to someone else. If someone's not enjoying early portions of monster hunter it's perfectly valid to suggest they try to stick with it for a while longer because there's a potential 300 hours of fun waiting for them.

Now, that doesn't mean I'd tell them to keep trying for like 40 hours or something. But it could easily take 5 or more. And honestly will probably take looking up a few YouTube videos as well.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on time compared to payoff. Not like any of it's absolute, just varies on person to person. Of course this depends on people accepting that a game that isn't for them isn't always a bad game, but that's a never ending battle.

There's so much stuff out there if a game doesn't hook me immediately (like first hour), I'm gonna put it on the shelf and do something else.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I.. disagree. Sometimes things needs to flesh out to reach their full potential.

Now, I think it depends, and it will always depends. I think that waiting 20 hours for the game to get "good" is inexcusable. A couple of hours, or past the intro to get "better" is good enough in my opnion. A serviceable opening is enough to make me wait a bit to see how the game goes.

Some movies get gradually better, so unless the first couple of hours of the game are really abismally bad, I'll wait

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Gotta say I disagree. Learning curves aside, early game content in MH is genuinely worse than mid-late game content. The monsters are lame, the gear is lame, the quests are worse, the tutorials bombard you with info at a rapid pace, you don't have nearly as many options as you have later on. In world they make you do quests to find camps, but they don't explain why or what very well so you're just running around not sure what's going on or what to do. And that's without considering the complexity of just using your weapon properly. It makes perfect sense for somebody to not enjoy the early game of monster hunter only to be hooked later on because they stuck with it. Happened to me. Happened to my friends. Will happen again to someone else. If someone's not enjoying early portions of monster hunter it's perfectly valid to suggest they try to stick with it for a while longer because there's a potential 300 hours of fun waiting for them.

Now, that doesn't mean I'd tell them to keep trying for like 40 hours or something. But it could easily take 5 or more. And honestly will probably take looking up a few YouTube videos as well.

I've played multiple monster hunter games they start off good and get better over time as your skill increases. The opening hours are never deal breaking just maybe tedious. My argument isn't a game can't or won't get better it's that if it has an element, long section, or feature that is bad enough someone is hating a game over it maybe even to the point of considering dropping it completely then doing nothing other then playing more rarely fixes it. Changing views at that point requires a mindset shift. I'm strongly pro-difficulty and enjoy learning games over time it's the reason I love the YS series so much.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I agree for the most part, but it depends on the game and why a person is criticising it. I had similar feelings when I started BotW and I grew to love the weapon system as I played more, because adapting to those situations was a process that I got better at over time, which in turn was enjoyable. If you aren't enjoying a game after a few hours invested then it just isn't for you, so I probably wouldn't think your criticisms were entirely valid.

I played The Escapists for a few hours last night and left feeling that the game was nonsense, despite it being critically acclaimed. I was caught repeatedly and set back to square one with "You should've known *this*" messages , and eventually had to concede that it wasn't for me. In a game like The Escapists the fun is had in success, so repeated failure won't leave you feeling like you're having a great time, but if you played the game long enough you'd get better and eventually succeed. I just wasn't willing to play it that long.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I think you're reading a lot into that statement that often isn't there.

It's usually not a defence, it's just a note that the issue goes away eventually. Which is useful information and something that I can't see any reason to not let people know, so they can make a decision for themselves based on that knowledge.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Is this really a "defense"?

It's more a information. Slow starts are common in every media.

Feb 24, 2018
One worst cases for me was being told that Final Fantasy XIII gets good 30-50 hours in so put up with it... Like that is a HUGE commitment of time to get to the good bit that I may or may not even like when I get there (and I didn't) and that for me is WAY to damn long for a game to get good for me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more bothered by "you're not playing it right".
The player shouldn't have to play a specific way to get enjoyment out of a game. Seems like an excuse hardcore fanbases like to use.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't think people say it as a way to deflect criticism of the beginning of the game, it's just a "if you keep playing you might enjoy it" advice.

Thank you. Not everything is about tribalistically defending XYZ game as if it was a court of law. Sometimes people are just trying to help you enjoy your hobby.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
While slow starts are fine, I do feel like gaming has a lot more of them these days. Perhaps it's a result of games having more complex, interlocking systems, or perhaps it's a result of padding. Either way, I'd say 50% of the games I've played this year have had at least two hours of ramp-up before they really hit their swing.

smartazjb0y

Oct 18, 2019
I don't fully understand the issue with the sentiment. Oftentimes, it's a fact: some games DO just get better after time is put into it. I don't think people saying that are necessarily defending the fact that the game has a slow/bad start, just pointing out that if you don't like it now it's possible you may like it when it gets better.

Maybe if some people are being too aggressive and saying "no just keep playing for 40 hours, it'll get better" that can be annoying because there's no guarantee that you'll like it when it DOES get better, but people generally don't defend the slow/bad starts themselves.

When I say "it gets better X hours in" I'm saying "it may not have a great start but I thought it really picked up after X hours," I'm not saying "the game is perfect and the slow/bad start is absolutely an essential part of the quality of the game and if they had a good start to the game the game would be worse."

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
The player shouldn't have to play a specific way to get enjoyment out of a game. Seems like an excuse hardcore fanbases like to use.
I think this is pretty alright actually. I can't remember what game but someone told me a game sucked and made no sense...they skipped every cutscene and conversation!

Oct 25, 2017
I've played multiple monster hunter games they start off good and get better over time as your skill increases. The opening hours are never deal breaking just maybe tedious. My argument isn't a game can't or won't get better it's that if it has an element, long section, or feature that is bad enough someone is hating a game over it maybe even to the point of considering dropping it completely then doing nothing other then playing more rarely fixes it. Changing views at that point requires a mindset shift. I'm strongly pro-difficulty and enjoy learning games over time it's the reason I love the YS series so much.

I think a lot of people would disagree with the bolded. Myself included. And besides, if you can agree the opening hours can be tedious, then you should know that said tedium can be "deal breaking" for some people. Suggesting they give it some more time or another shot is perfectly valid.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I thought Witcher 3 and HZD were meh for their first few hours. But then I kept playing and it just clicked with me and I found myself thoroughly enjoying them. So I think games can definitely get better after a few hours but it depends on the person and game.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's perfectly valid, especially for RPGs. Expecting an 80 hour experience to be as interesting in the first two hours as it will become later is unreasonable.

I understand that peoples' time is important but there's a difference between valuing time and being impatient.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Someone legit told me a game picks up after 20 hours the other day in discord chat. Some people truly believe this stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Time is my single biggest constraint. I have more than enough fun games that I don't need to waste hours to get to "the good stuff"

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's perfectly valid, especially for RPGs. Expecting an 80 hour experience to be as interesting in the first two hours as it will become later is unreasonable.

I understand that peoples' time is important but there's a difference between valuing time and being impatient.

And there's a difference between being interesting, period, and growing better as the story and characters change/get more skills.

It's always a bullshit defense.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't fully understand the issue with the sentiment. Oftentimes, it's a fact: some games DO just get better after time is put into it. I don't think people saying that are necessarily defending the fact that the game has a slow/bad start, just pointing out that if you don't like it now it's possible you may like it when it gets better.

Maybe if some people are being too aggressive and saying "no just keep playing for 40 hours, it'll get better" that can be annoying because there's no guarantee that you'll like it when it DOES get better, but people generally don't defend the slow/bad starts themselves.

When I say "it gets better X hours in" I'm saying "it may not have a great start but I thought it really picked up after X hours," I'm not saying "the game is perfect and the slow/bad start is absolutely an essential part of the quality of the game and if they had a good start to the game the game would be worse."

I'm honestly struggling to think of a single game that legitimately "gets better" after a really slow, or just outright boring or bad first few hours. Most of the time I end up trying to imagine how the game could likely improve with the current systems at hand, and keep waiting for that wishful thinking to actually materialize, but it rarely ever does and I end up quitting halfway through the game (see: every Ubisoft game ever that's not the first and second FarCry or Rayman). The thing with Final Fantasy XIII too was that it didn't really become "better", it just became more open. The characters and gameplay still remained trash though.

One worst cases for me was being told that Final Fantasy XIII gets good 30-50 hours in so put up with it... Like that is a HUGE commitment of time to get to the good bit that I may or may not even like when I get there (and I didn't) and that for me is WAY to damn long for a game to get good for me.

What the fuck? It doesn't even take 50 hours to finish. The old argument was that it took 10 - 15 hours to open up.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Imagine if somebody told you that Final Fantasy VII, VIII, or IX "really opened up" after the 40-hour mark.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a defense. It's a response to "I'm not enjoying this game, does it ever get good?"

smartazjb0y

Oct 18, 2019
I'm honestly struggling to think of a single game that legitimately "gets better" after a really slow, or just outright boring or bad first few hours. Most of the time I end up trying to imagine how the game could likely improve with the current systems at hand, and keep waiting for that wishful thinking to actually materialize, but it rarely ever does and I end up quitting halfway through the game (see: every Ubisoft game ever that's not the first and second FarCry or Rayman). The thing with Final Fantasy XIII too was that it didn't really become "better", it just became more open. The characters and gameplay still remained trash though.

People have brought up Monster Hunter which is a pretty apt example IMO. Many people enjoy the core loop of hunting large monsters that have really cool mechanics, but a lot of the past games have started off with loads of quests having you gather, fish, kill 10 small easy monsters, etc. That may or may not be necessary to ease new players into it, but I think that's clearly a case of the core systems being good, but the start being poorly paced and not focused enough on those core systems that are enjoyable.

Can also be prevalent in story-based games where, well, the story just isn't as compelling at the start but does get better.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It depends.​

If a game doesn't become enjoyable until you reach "point-X" due to bad game design / boring content, then it's the game's fault.​
See: Twilight Princess​
I was actually gonna mention Twilight Princess in this thread: It's a game that is quite boring and slow during the first half or so, BUT, if you stick with it, you get a great Zelda game during the second half, in my opinion.

This is not "defending" or claiming that the game is not at fault. It simply means that the game does get better, and IF you want to experience that, you just have to stick with it.

But of course, there are other games in the world, so people are free to play something else instead.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
People say this all the time about FF13. It gets way better after about 15-20 hours.
Ugh, I feel you on that. 15-20 hours is such an obscene number to slog through to get to something good. There are so many 10/10 experiences out there that are less than 15-20 hours in total and are exponentially more fulfilling that FF13.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its not defense in a lot of cases though, just people sharing their experience.

I've played plenty of games where I wasn't totally hooked for the first few hours, then they suddenly clicked and I loved it.

Some games simply require bigger/longer investment to start being truly enjoyable, especially long form rpg's. It took me around 8 hours to truly get into witcher 3 and it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

this depends entirely on the context.