• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Like what happened on the 3Ds, it took a bit for the new Pokemon generation to arrive to the Switch. The power leap between the 3DS and the Switch is likely the biggest ever for Nintendo Handhelds, so people obviously have high expectations for the first big Pokemon title (after all, Let's Go was yet another remake so it likely didn't get as big of a budget as SwSh).

And Game Freak... delivered? Maybe it's just me, but Pokemon Sword and Shield look really nice to the point where I'd call it one of the Switch's best looking games, especially on the most recent footage we've gotten. People have been nitpicking certain footage of the wild area to show how it looks "horrible" or whatever (tbf, it certainly didn't look the prettiest in the initial showing), but can people honestly say that this looks ugly?

region1.jpg

In_Game_Screenshot_2.0.jpg

71HFoXcRzgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This looks great for a Switch game, I really don't get it. The artstlye is nice and colorful, Pokemons on the wild area are very expressive, it's not a graphics benchmark but definitely not an ugly game. I have the slight feeling that the reason why the graphics in this game have been criticized is because of the pokedexit stuff, and it really is a shame because the actual game isn't bad-looking at all. What do you think?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
To me it's weird cause the world is so empty. It was harder to notice with traditional top-down view and old style :P

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's not bad looking, but it's also not the step up I would've liked the first main line Pokemon released on a home console to be.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the game is gorgeous, but I am hesitant to suggest that all of the criticisms are insincere. I think a great many of them are BS though, to be sure. I figure some of them have to mean it, probably.

The new systems (dynamaxing, overworld encounters, XP situation) are much more worthy of criticism, though not to the point of keeping me from buying both versions. Excited to get them.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Pokemon has never pushed graphics heavily so I don't know why people expect it to be so different now.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I think the game has a lot of charm to it and find the artstyle cool. Sure its no Mario Odyssey graphically but the game still has a neat aesthetic to it

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda tree thing always felt really disingenuous. I think a bunch of little things added up for some people and a lot of folks eventually decided everything about the game must be bad.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, some people seem determined to hate on this version of Pokemon.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forget that we have Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 that have set a precedent.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Seems kind of shitty to accuse people of lying about their opinions just because you disagree. I'm not sure what's wrong with some people just not digging it and wishing it looked better.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The main reason SwSh's graphics are so aggressively used as a knock against the game is because GF ran with the excuse about the graphics being a big reason NatDex wasn't returning, and a lot of lapsed supporters beat that horse to a pulp.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it looks cute and charming but there's nothing in it on the level of other big Switch games. And some screenshots of the game do genuinely look rough.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
They look charming, yes. There is an art direction indeed. But I wouldn't say they look impressive or well, different?
Seems kind of shitty to accuse people of lying about their opinions just because you disagree. I'm not sure what's wrong with some people just not digging it and wishing it looked better.
To me it's weird cause the world is so empty. It was harder to notice with traditional top-down view and old style :P
these responses are on point.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like you're being disingenuous with these screenshots and your op

The characters and pokemon are nicely modeled but a lot of the environmental texture work is muddy. And many poke animations are just bad (insert seagull pokemon wild gif). On my phone so I cant link any pics right now. Bunch of environments they'v shown off too are barren.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
Graphically the game looks fine but the animations look dated. I'd expect more from the creators of one of the biggest cash cow IPs on the planet.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
There have been some further screenshots of the same areas that have shown some improvement over the ones posted above, and certainly have filled the environment with more characters.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Not as ugly as FE Switch but still underwhelming. I expect big improvements for the next one like x & y to sun & moon. I don't expect PS4 level output but I know what it's capable of and I just think more can be delivered. Anyways it's a Pokémon game, it'll sell millions and review well regardless of quality.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks generally nice, and the artsyle is great so that helps a lot, but the Wild Area looks rough. It looks barren and empty, and lacks polish in some aspects. The biggest problem are the textures, that are very low res and blurry, and watching the previews I got the impression that they didn't improve at all, and might even be worse since they showed more of the wild area.

If not for the textures, it would be a very fine looking game.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
You forget that we have Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 that have set a precedent.
I'm gonna throw Animal Crossing on the pile
If AC stays as good as it looks right now anyway, I think it has the best lighting on the Switch. Shadows really take a hit in most Switch games.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It's on par with early PS3 graphics, not sure what there is to really praise. It's not like Gamefreak is in a bubble, their contemporaries have pretty much all surpassed them.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of the criticisms of Pokemon Sword and Shield to this point have been insincere.

It's somehow been worse than the Let's Go debacle.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I agree that the game looks nice and the art is fitting, but I can understand why people think that a system that has BotW, Odyssey, SSBU or Xc2 has enough power to render far more complex things, and that Pokemon is big enough to deserve it.

I don't think I'll enjoy the game more if it looks far better, but I wouldn't say the complaints are insincere.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I feel like it's kind of a yes and no situation. It's obviously not technically impressive but has its own style, so there's lots of room for interpretation depending on your own tastes. There's a pretty big disparity between the more curated routes and the wild area though and a lot of the criticism has been centred around that

That being said there has been a lot warranted controversy around some of the decisions and I have no doubt that soured people on other aspects where the heat is a little less warranted. Like we have folks sweating over the dex count because gamefreak are keeping stuff closer to their chest this time around, and I don't think that would be the case so much if the community weren't already miffed

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to start accusing everyone who disagrees with me of being insincere.

I think the early footage looked pretty woeful, but the game has been looking better with time. It's still not very impressive.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
its ugly in some areas and alright in others.

That being said the shots you show are empty af in terms of people or pokemon, now thats probably because it was early so we will see on release.
The game has some really ugly looking parts though and unfortunately we have seen more of that than the parts that look pretty alright imo.
That could be to it just being what gets brought up tho but thats my before release impression.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks alright but I wouldn't remotely call it one of the Switch's best looking games.

Not when Link's Awakening, Breath of the Wild ,Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc are out there.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My main complains aren't about the graphics, but the battle animations. They are still reusing the same ones for the majority of the old pokemon, and I can honestly believe Blastoise will still continue to fire beams from his forehead, or Xatu using the same stupid gliding animation as its main. This wouldn't be a big complain if it wasn't for the fact that they specifically said new animations were of the reasons for the removal of old pokemon.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my case it's not insincere in the least. I have no reason to want Pokemon to be bad. I have no issue with it.

It's not the worst looking game ever. On the whole, it's just kind of okay. Considering that it's a flagship installment in the biggest IP on earth, it's reasonable to expect AAA quality. This ain't AAA quality.

Arlo's video on it:

Arlo is a big time Nintendo fan with a Nintendo themed channel and is very reluctant to post negative videos about anything Nintendo. He has no reason to be insincere in bashing it, but the reverse, and yet he's criticizing it. Highly.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda tree thing always felt really disingenuous. I think a bunch of little things added up for some people and a lot of folks eventually decided everything about the game must be bad.

I never took the tree comment seriously as the bigger focus is clearly the Pokémon and trainers models and I feel that Game Freak delivered on that department. Especially with the main trainer having expression. A common complaint in regards to the gen 7 trainer having a blank stare.

Bottom line sacrifice had to be made somewhere and I rather the tree in the overworld took that than the key important factor of the Pokémon series, which are the Pokémon themselves.

And beside, I feel that the overworld looks fine.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna throw Animal Crossing on the pile
If AC stays as good as it looks right now anyway, I think it has the best lighting on the Switch. Shadows really take a hit in most Switch games.
No, Animal Crossing still looks like a Gamecube game, sorry.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It looks alright but I wouldn't remotely call it one of the Switch's best looking games.

Not when Link's Awakening, Breath of the Wild ,Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc are out there.

You named 4 games (one of which isn't even out) out of Switches massive library and that somehow means its not one of the better looking Switch games?
I think you forget just how many games are on this platform

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Like I said in another thread, I'm coming from Gold and Silver as the last mainline Pokemon games I've played, so this feels like a gigantic leap to me. I guess it's all relative of course, but there it is.

And as far as comparing it to other Switch titles, I don't know, I've never been hard up about that type of shit anyway, and I play almost exclusively in handheld on my OG Switch, so I couldn't even tell you the differences

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it looks good at all. Those are some of the more flattering screens I've seen but it still isn't great. It's not just the muddy textures here and there but the art style is somewhat incohesive. It's stuff like the color palette of the grass not fitting the environment in that middle screen. That's probably what gets me most. If you think it looks fine that's okay though.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Looks terrible lol. They should have cel shaded everything to the level of the characters

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's not that I think that everyone who doesn't like how it looks is lying to hate the game, but it really feels like ever since the Pokedex stuff happened the complaints about graphics have gotten worse with disingenuous shit like the N64 comparison.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
To be fair, the game has been steadily introducing more detail and NPCs to the world with each new trailer. For example:

j3whh0cz26t31.jpg

We've also seen an NPC or two react to you passing by, which I imagine will be a common occurance that will help to make the world feel more alive.