• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild has realistic atmosphere simulation and that game is cartoony as fuck. Realistic shadows and AO isn't a too big ask. Better contrast between light and shadow would do this game a lot of good. One of the mistakes I see with these kinds of cartoony games is the lack of contrast. And by cartoony, I also mean anime-styled games. Contact shadows and AO just always seem to be missing in these styles

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
As a would-be first time Pokemon player with this, I think the graphics look okay.

If I have to throw a complain, maybe the towns and their npcs are so.... static? Like, it feels like you're visiting a wax museum instead of a city. Make the NPC move something, haha, or populate the city with moving characters to make it seem more alive.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It just look underwhelming for the amount of sales this franchise makes. There is no area showcased in the trailers that makes me go wow like I did just walking around shit in the first ni no kuni on the ps3 and that game would kill to do just 15% of the sales of pokemon games.

Also doesn't help that pokemon has a lot of really obnoxious and frankly braindead fanboys. Just reading the last page again someone presents evidence of lack of polish something that shouldn't be the case for such a high grossing franchise and it just gets talked down.

Last edited:

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I fired up Sun today for the first time in years and the graphics were much better than I remembered. I got OR after I finished it and have been messing around with that on and off, and there is quite a jump between the games. Don't even get me started on XY.

I am not saying that SwSh looks like a 3DS game, but it seems to have more in common stylistically with SuMo than even LGPE. Briefly running around Sun made me feel like it would have been better to port that to Switch instead of shoveling out LGPE.

Regardless of how this generation turns out, the Sinnoh remakes and the next generation will be more impressive looking.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
"Your complaints are insincere because game development is hard you inconsiderate piece of shit."

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of graphics. It still seems like model scaling is an issue. And if it is that would be a big disappointment as there is no excuse with high res, 16x9, and bigger screen

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I mean, sure, theoretically you could do anything as long as you have enough time and money, that was never in dispute. That being said, just because Pokémon is the most "successful media franchise in the world" or whatever that doesn't automatically mean they can just flaunt their budget however they want, or that they should. That's not exactly sustainable, these games have to make money, they have to ship at a reasonable date, and they already outsource a bunch as is. These games have huge dev counts, at some point you gotta draw a line in the sand and focus on optimizing game development rather than ballooning it.

There's a reason a lot of professional developers chimed in during the NatDex incident to say that they expected dex cuts sooner, not a lot of devs would have had that commitment to the creature headcount as long as Pokémon did. That's kind of an inherent problem with the concept.

It's not "theoretical", it's a fact that there are many MANY devs and studios out there who know how to make 3D games better than GF ... a pretty much HH only Dev who up until recently have only made tile turn-based JRPGs. For them to not simply partner up with anyone to make these games so that they could be optimized/ done right and instead just try to brute force it is just kinda strange.

I mean, it's not uncommon at all. Look at BoTW, they wanted to do something with LoZ that was new and BIG and said "Hey, lets get help from
Monolith Soft" (they also helped with SS apparently). Look at Smash ... as time went on the series became too big to be handled the way it was before and now we have Sora (Sakurai and his Wife) making the game with people from Nintendo people as well as Bandai Namco developing it cause they know how to do what this game needs done.

So maybe GF/ TPC should have a dev better suited for this handled these games?

As for cost, I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
Like ... Main line Pokemon is basically guaranteed to hit somewhere between 10 and 16mill copies sold so far as anyone has seen. Those are amazing numbers deserving of AAA budgets and efforts under any rule. But we don't get that quality or effort reflected in the games. I'm sure they could double the damn current budget (Not asking for that) and it wouldn't make a dent in the profits they get from this game that's gonna end up having 10-16mill copies sold. There's nothing unsustainable about pumping more money into a game series that makes THIS MUCH. I mean hell, Pokemon Go was far far cheaper to make and made 2bill in 2 years ... why CAN'T they put more money into the main games?
Also, where tf are all the spin offs? Where's Pokemon MD/ Pokemon Rangers/ Pokepark/ Pokémon Conquest and such? All these interesting spin offs and things just stopped after Pokemon Go cause the mobile shit is far cheaper and makes far FAR more money ... all this stuff adds up to the "Lazy Dev" debate people have in the shadows because the only reason people can see for why things are the way they are is because they feel like GF just thinks they don't need to put in the effort or budget to make the huge advancements the want. "This is gonna push 10mill at the very least after all."

And yeah, like I said, normally expecting a dev to crank out all the mons this series has at that level of polish animation wise would be a fool's dream. But this isn't you're normal series, it's a series that makes money hand over fist from every possible angle and is legit the highest grossing franchise of all time. It's not at all unreasonable to think more of that insane money should go towards this games.

Now as for me, I'm perfectly fine with how the games LOOK. Sure, the models of the characters and style of the world/ textures look a bit too soulless and generic for my liking. But it's the best visuals the game has had on this scope so w/e, don't really care to debate if it looks like a slight step up from S/M or not cause it looks ok to me.

What gets ME is the animations and seeing suck ass draw distances where a big ass Machoke just pops outta the ground like 20 feet in front of you (Things that many MANY devs know how to handle by now. Also ... now that Pokemon are in the open, wtf do they do? It's kinda off putting looking at a Machoke just walk around aimlessly in a field like a Zombie. Shouldn't this dude be doing push ups or lifting or doing pull ups on a tree or doing cardio with his body improvement pals?)
If they had slashed the Dex in half and in return gave use fleshed out and good looking battle animations as well as Camp animations (Both of which they would surely use for the next 2 decades) I could see why it was dashed in half. They could focus on these this time and next time release the other half along with the current done half ... yay, full dex.

But as it stands I legit see no reason for the cut other than "it's hard" which is sad. :/

I also wish that someone ... somewhere ... somehow lets me get my hands on a Scorbunny rig. I fucking love rabbits and I haven't seen ONE battle animation for this bunny that looks acceptable. Even his idle looks stupid, unbalanced and makes it seem like he has to pee. I'm lazy af but I'm sure in 2 days I could pop something out that's more impressive than any battle animation I've seen for him so far. -_-

EDIT- Holy fuck, I just watched a vid of someone making the same Machoke observation and example as me. O_0

Last edited:

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
This is the perfect video for why people are upset about Pokemon Sword and Shield and the future of Pokemon.

I hope people who defend the games mindlessly watch it too.

Of course i don't agree with the "Lazy" part but everything else i do.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To me it's weird cause the world is so empty. It was harder to notice with traditional top-down view and old style :P
Agreed. For the first console game it dooesn't look bad, and actually exceeds what I expected. But if you told a random peson this were an eight gen game, they wouldn't be impressed. Even compared to the better looking Switch games like Odyssey this just doesn't stack up.

DOCKED_003.bmp

DOCKED_000.bmp

Even more so once you consider Odyssey felt like a lived in world with things in every nook and cranny while SWSH is pretty barren by comparison.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Like what happened on the 3Ds, it took a bit for the new Pokemon generation to arrive to the Switch. The power leap between the 3DS and the Switch is likely the biggest ever for Nintendo Handhelds, so people obviously have high expectations for the first big Pokemon title (after all, Let's Go was yet another remake so it likely didn't get as big of a budget as SwSh).

And Game Freak... delivered? Maybe it's just me, but Pokemon Sword and Shield look really nice to the point where I'd call it one of the Switch's best looking games, especially on the most recent footage we've gotten. People have been nitpicking certain footage of the wild area to show how it looks "horrible" or whatever (tbf, it certainly didn't look the prettiest in the initial showing), but can people honestly say that this looks ugly?

region1.jpg

In_Game_Screenshot_2.0.jpg

71HFoXcRzgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This looks great for a Switch game, I really don't get it. The artstlye is nice and colorful, Pokemons on the wild area are very expressive, it's not a graphics benchmark but definitely not an ugly game. I have the slight feeling that the reason why the graphics in this game have been criticized is because of the pokedexit stuff, and it really is a shame because the actual game isn't bad-looking at all. What do you think?
10 years ago I would have agreed.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak is so far behind it's not even funny. Zelda looks miles better and that's a Wii U game and came out 2.5 years ago.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Could it be possible that the game actually uses the BotW engine or at least some abomination of it?

The similarities in the lightning and shadowing of the skybox are staggering.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diminishing return in the video game media's graphics also introduced diminished appreciation of what developpers can accomplish with the hardwares they're dealing with. People that grew up having full generational leaps gen after gen during their childhoods are in for a rough awakening as time goes on and their dopamine level grows thinner.

Pokemon SS is far from being the best looking game out there though, and I can understand the disappointment some people feel about it. I however think the games still look totally fine and a fine upgrade from last year's Let's Go! games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmhh.ok
The latest poke clip (overworld scene with shadowing clouds) reminded me a lot of BotW though
The method of cloud shadows is pretty common. And Zelda's clouds are physical instead of just being a part of the skybox. Not to mention Zelda has realistic atmospheric simulations which helps achieve the look