• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I don't know if this is normal after reaching adulthood, or after a traumatic experience, but every time I'm reminded that we're not only past 2011, but more than half a decade in the future, I feel utterly displaced by time.

Without going into TMI, I had my first serious relationship end that year (on horrible terms that affected my entire family), which still haunts me today, even if I'm mostly over it. Everything since then feels like some kind of dream world, even if I have no feelings left for that person.

But I'm not sure that's the culprit. That summer I was 22 years old and got a job at a gas station. I still sometimes wake up feeling like I'm going to have to go in to work at that gas station.

Everything since that year feels like some weird amalgam year rather than the linear time I experienced before that. Is this just what happens when you get older?

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I'm in the opposite spot where I can't believe how fast my kid is growing. Time goes a little too quick.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I still can't believe 2008 is now 10 years ago.

Time for me stopped around 2005-2006.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure with the world in the outright shitty state it's in right now, everything feels like it's moving in slow motion, because all you can do is look to the horizon and hope for better, but that horizon is taking fucking forever to get here. If it does at all.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The whole 2010's decade literally completely flew by. I can't believe we're less than 2 years from the end of this decade.

Where the fuck did it go? Ever since 2012 the last years flew by. 2012-2018 went by in the blink of an eye,

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
OP, are you going to school or working on a trade/skill? No mention on what you've done with your life since 2011 in terms of education or career paths you can take.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
For me, 2011 feels like a lifetime ago.

I also had a big break up in the same year. Took me about two years to fully get over it.

The last few years have seemed to go by a lot faster for me and I haven't really done shit in that period either.

I hope things work out for you OP.

Durger

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Ever since I finished school and was placed in the real world, time has been cut in half for me. Days take a couple hours, a week is like a day or two, months feel like weeks and years are like 2-3 months to me.

There's thoughts that make 2011 feel like it was forever ago but some memories from 2011 feel like they just happened.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's an adult thing. Time just feels like it is going faster and faster. Don't worry we will be dead soon, just go with it.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
OP, are you going to school or working on a trade/skill? No mention on what you've done with your life since 2011 in terms of education or career paths you can take.
I'm fully employed with a master's degree in education. Teaching abroad at the moment. I've actually been way more productive and busy than I ever was a kid. I never did any clubs or extracurricular stuff in high school. My life has been a complete roller coaster, but still feels frozen somehow. A lot of people I talk to my age or older say this is normal, but I can't get over how weird it feels

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ever since I finished school and was placed in the real world, time has been cut in half for me. Days take a couple hours, a week is like a day or two, months feel like weeks and years are like 2-3 months to me.

There's thoughts that make 2011 feel like it was forever ago but some memories from 2011 feel like they just happened.
This is exactly it. Time has crashed. Some memories from relatively recently feel like ages ago and some from six years ago feel like they happened yesterday. It's like living in a vortex.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This seems pretty universal at about the time of hitting your late 20s/early 30s. A year feels about as 1/3rd as long as it once did for me.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Being in school makes it easier to give each year an identity. "That was when I was in 6th grade", "that was when I was a college freshman", etc. Things are divided into well-defined chunks because you get new teachers, new classes, and a big break between them.

That doesn't happen anymore when you are an adult. One year flows into the next.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the time between 2013 to 2016 felt like the equivalent of one year, and then 2016 to now being like a week.

I need to stop the progression of time from getting any faster. This shit is scary.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's also easy to forget the 2010's decade is different than 2000-2009. A lot of people consider both decades the same, which is why we don't realize it's been "nearly 20 years."

Durger

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
This is exactly it. Time has crashed. Some memories from relatively recently feel like ages ago and some from six years ago feel like they happened yesterday. It's like living in a vortex.
Totally just rambling here but I think that relates to how you perceive these memories. You can put your headspace into that moment and you feel like your the same person still living that moment (which makes it feel like it just happened) but when you think of the memory in terms of time, how long it's been, and everything that has happened to you between 2011 to now, it feels like forever ago.

Sort of a scattered thought I know, it's hard to explain the different sensations of memories.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
D6PfW.jpg

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
My entire life has changed since 2011. I've done so many different things, moved halfway around the world, got married, got a real job for the first time in my life. It is very, very 2018 to me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sol I'd say it's because you have nothing significant to anchor these past few years to (that's why my concept of time is screwed up) but you've done so much these past few years. Even something like getting a new job or going somewhere new should've served as a new reference point

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I think its annoying, in that I feel like this decade hasn't put its stamp down. I leave it to other people to find the nostalgia, and say what they loved about the '10s, but I feel like nothing much impresses me.

In sports a Heat dynasty doesn't feel signficant compared to a Bulls one. Movies marvel or star wars doesn't feel like the LOTR trilogy, or Dark Knight in previous decade. Or nearly as signifcant as Jurassic Park and other touchstones in the 90's. Musically there's little decade defining.

But I recognize a lot of that is based on them not feeling significant, relative to prior experiences. As a kid those events would probably feel all new and exciting and significant. Instead of "more stuff. Because...we have to make more stuff. What else are we gonna do."

To relate more to real life, it feels like the next thing and the next thing. Whether a job, or a relationship. And the risky ventures don't seem to pan out, and feel delusional in hindsight. Which leads to a feeling of a blur rather than defining moments of youth.

That said, some of the relief from youthful angst is pleasant. You do begin to enjoy simpler things, and not get stirred up so much. But yes, time does pass pretty quick, and you have to make a conscious effort to appreciate those things you have in your life now.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I feel you. I've been doing little other than working the same job and living in the same apartment for a decade. Makes the years blur together in your memory.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I'm not sure how old you are but I'm dreading hitting 40 already and I'm only 32. That's when you know you're hit middle age and you're officially old. Half my life is over already...
I'm only 36 and in decent shape, but that hasn't stopped me from constantly feeling like I'm halfway to death's doorstep. You can start worrying about it early like me!

Edit: forgot my own age. Its happening.

Durger

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I feel like the time between 2013 to 2016 felt like the equivalent of one year, and then 2016 to now being like a week.

I need to stop the progression of time from getting any faster. This shit is scary.
I can relate to this. Like, 2018 is already half over. I also feel this when I have giant business project that takes months to do. I'll accept a new project and all my focus is on one particular thing and when I'm done with it, I stick my head outside and it's been 4-5 months.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I turn 24 this August but I haven't felt time seem to significantly speed up for me. I'm sure it's coming sooner or later, but the prospect is kinda scary so I'm glad it hasn't started yet. Thinking back to 2011, though--the year I turned 17. Nearly every aspect of my life has changed since then (much of it for the better), so it feels like ages and ages ago. I do feel like the rate at which I acquire new interests has slowed, though. I don't really like the thought of being ossified so I hope it doesn't completely grind to the halt. I've tried to deliberately put certain things behind me in order to have time and energy to focus on other stuff, but at the end of the day I shouldn't really complain as long as there are things that bring me joy, whatever they may be.