• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So I just absolutely hate that I got spoiled on RE8 with the steam pic leak. It is so frustrating. I was just randomly scrolling my twitter feed and then came across a potential spoiler for RE8 . I really think fear of spoilers it is affecting my enjoyment of games in general and makes me more paranoid to complete games as soon as they come.

There is no way I don't play RE8 when it comes out but I know this pic will be at the back of my mind when I am playing it. I hope it is not true but I know it is going to affect my enjoyment of the game.

I sometimes think I should just quit all forms of social media but youtube is terrible as well. I nearly got spoiled on Miles Morales from the gaming section of the youtube homepage on due to some streamers lets play videos covering the end. Luckily I just skipped past of it. I should not have to see such videos on the launch day of the game!

Does anybody else feel this way?

Gaming seemed way for fun in the past without the internet where things were not spoiled so easily and you could play things at your own pace without the fear of getting spoiled.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Nah I'm even more hyped due to spoilers/leaks
Currently excited at DGS1/2 possibly being localized due to the capcom shit

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who doesn't use social media, and typically avoids youtube it hasn't been easy for me to avoid spoilers. honestly can't remember the last time a game was spoiled for me that i didn't spoil intentionally.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I often go into games blind beyond knowledge of the basic premise or franchise, and for the most part I don't care whether I'm spoiled on something anyway.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hate spoilers and leaks. I also have no problem avoiding them. Maybe you could benefit from adjusting your habits a bit when a game you're anticipating is coming out?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
games got spoiled like crazy and people were less sensitive to spoilers back in the 90s... shit, i remember how game magazines discussed Aerith's death as a matter of fact prior to the Western release of FFVII.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
www.youtube.com

ProsafiaGaming

~Official Gaming Channnel~ Hey, I'm ProsafiaGaming. My videos consist of boss rushes without taking damage, cutscene compilations, evolution of boss battles ...

The king of spoiler culture.

just be less online

this is a you problem, imo

Except it isn't when YouTube and Twitter's algorithm easily spread spoilers. We shouldn't make drastic compromises like that just to enjoy a piece of media.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I absolutely hate spoilers and leaks. I also have no problem avoiding them. Maybe you could benefit from adjusting your habits a bit when a game you're anticipating is coming out?

That is the thing. I was not reading about RE8 specifically at all and got spoiled there. I guess just stopping browsing anything game related would help!

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
That is the thing. I was not reading about RE8 specifically at all and got spoiled there. I guess just stopping browsing anything game related would help!

Was it just a normal account posting the spoiler for you on twitter? I follow ALOT of gaming people / sites on twitter and have not seen any re8 spoilers at all.

Then again I don't think a spoiler would ruin anything in any game for me unless it's something I'm currently playing and it has some massive twist.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I haven't ran into spoilers unless I've wanted to. I have went in blind to all the games ive played recently. I guess I'm lucky with the YouTube algorithms.

Oct 24, 2019
I basically never get spoiled on things because I'm very careful about avoiding them for games, movies, etc. that I know I want to have a pristine experience for.

I find it pretty easy to just avoid certain threads, websites, subreddits, etc. where I know spoilers will likely be circulating and it's worked out well for me so far. It also probably helps that I don't use Twitter lol.

I agree that it sucks to have to always be vigilant about spoilers, though most of the things I've been spoiled on have come from IRL interactions where people just carelessly/inconsiderately drop spoilers in conversations. There's no way to defend against that lol, much easier to avoid spoilers on the internet

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly what I do, but if your downfall was Twitter and you don't want to stop browsing Twitter I think there are some filters or settings you can mess with for your most anticipated games? Hope you have better luck in the future, I do a pretty decent job avoiding spoilers but I don't think anyone is immune to that occasional pie to the face.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
www.youtube.com

ProsafiaGaming

~Official Gaming Channnel~ Hey, I'm ProsafiaGaming. My videos consist of boss rushes without taking damage, cutscene compilations, evolution of boss battles ...

The king of spoiler culture.

Except it isn't when YouTube and Twitter's algorithm easily spread spoilers. We shouldn't make drastic compromises like that just to enjoy a piece of media.

eh, i still maintain it's not that hard to avoid this stuff. but honestly? my hotter take is that the journey is always more important than the destination. I've never once felt like a work was "ruined" for me because I found out about a detail in the plot, or even read a beat-by-beat rundown. The actual experience of a thing is more meaningful than a summary of things that happen

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hmm they would not have pulled it out if it were right? Seems like the image got changed now so maybe that was not meant to be shown.
Most likely because what marketing info is shown when is part of a schedule. If that image was something that wasn't meant to be shown now, or if it specifically tied in with another reveal they plan on doing, it's obvious that they would change it or remove it.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Avoiding stuff is easy if you choose to do it. I also don't think spoilers ruin much of anything other than initial shock value.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers aren't real, but even if they somehow were, I rarely encounter them, and I'm not even trying to dodge them.

You're doing something wrong, seems like.

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
In the lead up to Ocarina of Time I had watched every trailer, read every preview and analyzed every screenshot so I knew basically every boss and temple in the game other than the final Ganon battle. It still ended up being one of my favorite games of all time so I don't take spoilers too seriously. Fun, engaging games will still always be worth playing.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah a lot of people are just assholes or love attention, so thrive on leaking or spoiling shit.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
games got spoiled like crazy and people were less sensitive to spoilers back in the 90s... shit, i remember how game magazines discussed Aerith's death as a matter of fact prior to the Western release of FFVII.
Yeah, people are way too sensitive these days. I think people put way too much importance on these story-based plot twist moments that are only interesting once anyway. Many people are messing around on the internet and fully unable to understand that they will get spoiled sooner or later. They basically walk in the middle of the information highway and get upset when run down by the inevitable truckload of spoilers.

Good gameplay doesn't depend on gimmicks that can be spoiled. This is why I feel that games like TLOU, Heavy Rain, etc. are of the disposable "play once and throw away" type.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
being a patient gamer makes avoiding spoilers almost impossible, every game that gets popular like RDR2 or Nier Automata will eventually get spoiled by random comments in random places online, I got Nier Spoilt in the Rainbow Six Siege subreddit ffs -_-

Other than that it's kinda easy to go into games blind, but spoilers became much more common online because of trolls

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty easy to only get trailer or things you used to get only in mags and avoid spoilers altogether.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Twitter is terrible anyway. Leave that instead of gaming.

I actually find for me that if I run into a big spoiler of a game, it saves me money as I just buy it later and I've usually forgotten the spoiler by then

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree. It's just annoying if you see a spoilerish thumbnail of the end or an important section while you're just casually browsing YouTube. Especially when it's like one day after launch.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
being a patient gamer makes avoiding spoilers almost impossible, every game that gets popular like RDR2 or Nier Automata will eventually get spoiled by random comments in random places online, I got Nier Spoilt in the Rainbow Six Siege subreddit ffs -_-

Other than that it's kinda easy to go into games blind, but spoilers became much more common online because of trolls

This makes me super paranoid about finishing games as soon as they release now. I finished Miles on PS5 asap because I was worried about spoilers. Fantastic game and thankfully was not spoiled there

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh ok

Tbh I'm in agreement with first post there, that key art is never spoiler material.

It would be very hard to avoid media like that, it will be on amazon pre order pages and steam store

Even in the "old days" key art like that would have been used in magazine previews, articles or even covers. Totally in agreement that key art are not spoilers.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Most likely because what marketing info is shown when is part of a schedule. If that image was something that wasn't meant to be shown now, or if it specifically tied in with another reveal they plan on doing, it's obvious that they would change it or remove it.

Hmm I see. Well I guess its me being paranoid about that specific one then..

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I find it's mostly fine, though the second I watch something about a game on YouTube videos of a game's ending show up in recommendations, usually with spoilers in the thumbnail. This is really annoying, but doesn't ruin my experience.

Not to frame this as "a you problem" or to dismiss the value of experiencing something fresh, but if these things are making your experience significantly less fun or enjoyable I think you should try to learn to enjoy things even when it's not entirely unspoilt.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm pretty good on that front, like I have yet to even be spoiled on Nier Automata for example.

Very limited social media, and using Clickbait Remover for Youtube extension makes most spoiler pretty easy to avoid imho.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, I honestly just don't care about spoilers or leaks for the most part, and I wouldn't say they ruin my fun with regards to gaming. It's not like movies where the story/experience is the most exciting part so say seeing the end of Avengers Endgame would be bad, but I honestly don't care much about the marketing leak for RE8 because the gameplay is the most exciting part to me, not the story. I mean yeah, a story beat is possibly ruined, but in an 8+ hour game, it's not going to be huge.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
No. Get spoiler protection as a browser add on. And stay off Twitter. Probably better for your mental health anyway.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh I will also say that I think that fear of spoilers has eclipsed being spoiled as more crippling to enjoyment of media to a lot of ppl, I think.

I'm not saying people should go and spoil things on purpose but panicking over that stuff isn't really useful. You'll get spoiled for some stuff, it happens sometimes. Unless it's a very particular sort of game which relies on not knowing things to achieve certain effect, like a game like Outer Wilds or something, but stuff like that is really rare and complicated to spoil anyway

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really interact with gaming media much (i think?) and don't really run in internet social circles that care about that kind of thing so it's relatively easy for me to avoid spoilers. I think if this is the main thing making your experience less fun u can def solve it

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Because I'm a nice guy and want everyone to be happy, I want to feel for the spoiler weirdos, but I just can't. Spoilers rule, they are easy to avoid if you care, and if you care a LOT, just stop opening Resetera or Reddit threads about the game before you play it.