• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Real talk. The last truly great superhero movie I remember seeing was The Dark Knight, and that's not even Marvel.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I don't like thing. Why do others?

Is this what you're asking ?

They are well made films with great actors based around some beloved stories in an ongoing narrative.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I too cannot comprehend how people can possibly have different tastes than I do. Does everyone simply not understand I am the center of the universe?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
e26.jpg

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Can you give some reasons what you find mediocre about them?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Marvel movies offer a consistent level of quality. When you go see one you can be confident that you're seeing a pretty good movie even if it isn't amazing. Generally speaking they're always among the top blockbusters each year.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People want superheroes to save them because we had a recession and the entire generation has student loan debt.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I really like them, but I thinks it's enough now. Move on to something new. Yeah I know they won't as long as they are successful.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is some nice plotting and decent one-liners. The ambition is cool too. That said, it's all really same-y in tone and super forgettable. Enjoyably bland.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
simple. never really challenging the mind. big explosions. lots of marketing. large pool of recognized characters that are sort of ingrained in the populace.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Because they're great quality entertainment, and the furthest thing from mediocre.

You want mediocre, go watch the new Godzilla movie.

I really like them, but I thinks it's enough now. Move on to something new. Yeah I know they won't as long as they are successful.

I would have said that before seeing Spider-Man yesterday. Now I'm 100% back on board for Phase 4.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why is McDonalds popular?
This too. While I do think Marvel does a great job in a lot of areas that earns their success, so I don't agree that this is a perfect analogy, there's this constant fallacy among people that if something is successful, it must be an indicator of some objective quality. Which is almost never the case.

IMO, the most successful products of any industry tend to be the most accessible.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't know how anyone could think Infinity War is mediocre, the amount of skill it takes to pull off that big of an ensemble is incredible. I'am a little burnt out on Marvel but I can still recognize that they are well made films.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I dislike Sopranos, and I think a three Godfather films are bad. That is my opinion, but it does not make me right

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the same criticism could honestly be thrown at most of the highest selling musicians, food, consumer products in general. Most people don't want challenging or paradigm shattering things, they want easy good times (most of the time).

Why are they super popular? They are excellent at what they do. It's not easy to make blockbuster films, and that they've pulled off 20+ connected films is a huge acheivement even if you're not into them.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because, quite frankly, in an ocean filled of people that do like these movies, your opinion is like a drop in said ocean. Honestly what more do you want us to say? People like comic book and superhero movies, and they like it even more if their superheroes feature in the same movies as an ensemble. It's not exactly rocket science. I doubt people consider them pinnacle of film making, but they've proven for over a decade now that they're a lot of fun to a lot of people.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
the immediate backlash toward anybody expressing distaste for the big zeitgeist franchise stifles any sort of more serious critique or analysis of these films. I don't care for them myself, and I think there is a discussion to be had about their tremendous box office success and resonance with the public, but it's just not worth it when you're immediately gonna get the old man yells at cloud treatment. sorry I don't like the thing I guess?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
They're not breaking quality records. They're accessible movies that require little effort to watch and that have a modicum of quality. Also the interconnectivity of the movies and the fact that they span years of your life is obviously made to make them feel like they're a part of your life.

The people who watch these movies are not the kind that would see for example Son of Saul, Mustang or something like that and actually notice the extreme levels of quality of those movies. It's just not their thing.

Popularity is never an endorsement!!

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the same criticism could honestly be thrown at most of the highest selling musicians, food, consumer products in general. Most people don't want challenging or paradigm shattering things, they want easy good times (most of the time).

Why are they super popular? They are excellent at what they do. It's not easy to make blockbuster films, and that they've pulled off 20+ connected films is a huge acheivement even if you're not into them.
It's definitely an impressive achievement. That they're accessible to basically everyone regardless of age is why I personally think they're so successful. Not much to do with quality.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's a known quantity. The most average, popcorn entertainment money can buy every single time. It's perfect for groups of people and it hits across every demographic really.

It's mediocrity down to a science. It makes perfect sense that they consistently do well at the BO honestly.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Marvel movies are like amusement rides. They are fun and accessible. But amusement rides won't get any accolades as an art form.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
That.. explains a lot, actually.

lmao you really wanted to take it down the junk-food cinema path, didn't you?

They're entertaining and easy to watch, I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp. I'm not a huge fan of the films but if you can't see how strong their branding and characters are, then you need to look harder. Not to mention Marvel are pretty much the first studio to nail a cinematic universe. Which means with each film somebody watches, they're deeper in to the lore of the world which creates a snowball effect when it comes to finale films such as Infinity War and Endgame breaking records.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Knight is a dumb movie propped up by a great performance.

The MCU movies, especially recently, are solid at worst. They have great, relatable characters and they've been hugely successful with long-formstorytelling. We also live in a hellscape and people like escapism. It's not hard to understand.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
they're very family friendly humorous movies made for wide audiences, good enough to make people care about the gimmick of heroes teaming up together.

the stellar cast helps a lot too

Oct 27, 2017
So sick and tired of this opinion. We get it, you don't like the MCU. Go back to watching proper art house flicks like Pitch perfect and The Angry Birds movie and leave us to our dreck.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Mediocrity sells.

Some of the MCU is good. Iron Man, Iron Man 3, Thor Ragnarok, The Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Endgame are all films I enjoy a lot.

But I agree, most of the MCU is very middle of the road, but they are basically factory-made to have mass appeal. It's the McDonalds of movies.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm in the same boat. I think they are mediocre cookie cutter movies. But I think they're successful exactly because they are in-offensive "shut off your brain for a couple of hours" movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.