• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Baby squirrel......oh man, id keep it.......i know someone who trained a squirrell from birth and they are so cool lol

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried nurturing something a few years ago that looked exactly like this.

It didn't make it, but I am genuinely hoping this isn't a repeat.

Rooting for you!

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes a little while for even rats to become carriers of anything particularly dangerous. Handle with care, of course, but don't get paranoid.

Still pretty sure you've got a squirrel there, though. That said, what types of squirrels and rats do you have around you, OP? That might give us some indication, as there can be some big variation in size and shape between species. Definitely too big to be a mouse.

I dunno. I'm in southeast texas near houston, if that helps.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Hope everything turns out alright for the little guy. Taking care of abandoned baby animals is a tough thing, but it's worth it.

Oh yeah, and the guy in the thread who suggested drowning it should be drowned himself.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Now I'm super curious about what it grows up to be.

Like playing Pokemon for the first time.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I can't see the pics but the video looked more like a rat than a squirrel to me, cant get a sense of scale tho.
If you're in the USA, rabies is a big concern but I looked it up cause I always heard squirrels can have rabies but apparently the CDC says small mammals are almost never found to be infected and are considered non-risk. (TIL!)

I have friends who have taken in baby wild animals as permanent pets such as wild rabbits. Very similar situation: found on the side of the road, assumed to be dying, fed with a pipette or syringe and made full recovery. But it's often down to luck, often they are kicked out of the nest/brood because they were terminally defective so don't feel too bad if they don't make it.
Wild rodents are different from domestic breeds, usually a bit more rowdy but still very much intelligent and trainable and affectionate. They adapt just fine to the cosy life if they are raised from a young age. Rats and Squirrels are very underrated pets IMO, they have so much wit and personality. They will need a lot more space and climbing equipment than a hamster though.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Why did you pick it up/put it in your car if you thought it was dead?

thought i saw it twitch, turns out i was right. at first i thought it was dead, then i thought it moved, but it was raining pretty bad so i figured it may have just been the water, but figured it couldn't hurt to test it

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Make sure you ask the vet ecerything you can think of. Write the questions down if you have to.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
We once found a bunch of baby mice when emptying out the compost. Unable to put them back, we tried to keep them warm while thinking about what to do.. But they just died super quickly.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably a subreddit that could identify it pretty accurately.

Nice of you to care for it BTW, few would. Hope it lives. You've given it a chance at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a baby rat. Good luck! What are you feeding it? I used to breed rats, when you handle them from that age they become incredibly tame.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you thought of a name yet, OP?

Powerhouse.

When I found it, it was completely still, thought it was a corpse or miscarriage. Just to be sure because I hated the idea of not trying, I got in my car and put the heater on [it was storming outside, so it was soaked]. It started thrashing around immediately and even stood up.

I was like "Damn, you're a little powerhouse" and my roommate was like "welp theres the name" so I guess it's decided

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend found a baby field mouse that was in about the same condition in her shed a little over three years ago and he is still alive today. She fed it formula every 3 hours for like 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a baby rat. Good luck! What are you feeding it? I used to breed rats, when you handle them from that age they become incredibly tame.

3:1 ratio of warm water to powdered soy infant formula right now

slowly working it up to 2:1 ratio as it adjusts to the feeding, wanting to make sure it's hydrated and has electrolytes first before upping the rate of formula to water too much, picking up some pedialyte ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.