• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no... what the fuck, he seemed to be doing so well. :( Ugh, I did not expect to be reading this today.

*sighs*

Well, OP, everyone here knows that you did your absolute best to give the little critter everything it could need. You're a great person.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post all too often, I did say a few things in Twitch chat when it was up.

I'm very happy to have experienced the time we got with Powerhouse, it really cheered me up for a few days watching the little guy on my 2nd Monitor throughout the day.

Its sad that he passed, I've also had young pets that have passed way too early. I used to have a kitten that was born from one of our cats, and I truly loved her and she passed only like 6 weeks in. It absolutely messed me up for a very long time, I honestly feel for you on a very personal level because I saw how careful and caring you were on stream, I could relate very closely to it.

You gave it your best and that's the best anyone could have asked for. Thank you for putting your heart into it. Please don't feel bad in the slightest. 6 days is longer than a few hours by quite a large amount. He was fed, warm, and loved in that short amount of time.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was happily talking about powerhouse to my friends and family who came over today and decided to show them the stream. I looked for the thread, saw the new title and was shocked.

I'm sorry for the loss OP.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Ho, I'm so sorry Buttzerker. I was really rooting for Powerhouse. Poor little guy.

This thread was and will remain one of my fave on Era. Don't blame yourself, you did good, and certainly more than most of us would have done.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
You did your best OP, it was sadly a likely outcome with how young he was.

You did a great thing and made his life longer and better than it would have been if you left him where you found him.

RIP Powerhouse.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I'm so sorry for your loss, Buttzerker. You did an amazing job with him and showed everyone how awesome you are. :( Thank you for sharing Powerhouse's life with us, too. He was better off with you in it.

RIP.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys a bit of bright news.

After talking with the roomie, tomorrow we are gonna pick up the Powerhouse Tribute Band:

3 Rats, ideally feeders to spare them from being snake food. :)

Gonna make a new thread with pics when we get them all set up.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not about trying to save a life, or whether or not I fail in doing so.

It's about not wanting to lose the part of me that's willing to do so, and knowing that even though my efforts failed this time - whether out of my control or not - I'd still do it again. And I will.
Buttzerker, guardian of PowerHouse.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017

After talking with the roomie, tomorrow we are gonna pick up the Powerhouse Tribute Band:

This makes me so happy to read man. You guys are fucking awesome.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Aww, such a shame, we all thought little Powerhouse would pull through but hearing that you're going to save 3 lives just think this is what Powerhouse's legacy will be :)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

You good people dude. The soul of Powerhouse lives on!

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread's been a bright spot. You gave Powerhouse the best life a lil guy like that could have, and I'm excited to see the tribute band.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting you again, I know I responded but seriously, thank you. Please don't feel bad about expectations, I think having people supporting/helping was a huge boon here and made this a lot easier than it would have been otherwise, regarding coping with him dying

If nothing else, now that I'm calming down some, I wanna say this, and I'm gonna update the OP with it because I think it's important. I've got my head on a bit straighter:

Even though Powerhouse passed away, I'm never going to forget this week. Life can be amazing, or cruel, or treacherous, or unpredictable, but if I hadn't picked up that little baby and taken him home, I never would have known what I was capable of when it came to caring for something that couldn't care for itself.

Whether or not it was inevitable that he passed, or if I made some small mistake that spiraled, I needed to do this. And as much as it hurts that he's gone, I hope anyone reading this realizes that while we may not have an obligation to kindness or empathy, the most selfish thing we can do is to consider the cost not worth it, to let ourselves become jaded to the suffering of other living things.

When I was googling around trying to identify Powerhouse's species the other day, I did a lot of searches like "pinkie mouse" and the sort, and you know what came up?

'Pinkie mice, 50 pack, frozen'. For snake food.

And man, that hit me for a second. I'm sitting here losing sleep trying to keep this guy alive, spending over a hundred dollars already doing everything I can and knowing I'll be spending a lot more if he keeps kicking, and there's this company mass-breeding mice just to freeze and sell as food. And I'm not mad at them; I love snakes. They gotta eat, too.

But it was a paradigm shift for me, mentally. A realization that the scale, or the perspective, or the magnitude doesn't matter. Because it's not about trying to save a life, or whether or not I fail in doing so.

It's about not wanting to lose the part of me that's willing to do so, and knowing that even though my efforts failed this time - whether out of my control or not - I'd still do it again. And I will. Any time I find something like this, any time I find an animal that needs help, I'm gonna do it, even knowing that if it dies, it's gonna hit me just as hard as Powerhouse dying today did.

I'd rather be an optimist and be disappointed a million times than be a cynic and be right once.

And if nothing else, for everyone who was as invested in Powerhouse as I am, I hope you guys can at least take some piece of that away.

Please don't be afraid to help a living thing, whether it's a person, animal, or even plant.

Please don't fear the pain that can come with failure. Every ounce of heartache I feel right now is nothing compared to the fact that Powerhouse at least got to be warm, and fed, for a few days.

Please don't listen to people who tell you "it's going to die anyways, why bother?" Maybe they're not even wrong - but it isn't about that. It's about ranking the livelihood of another being, a creature with feelings, over a fear of feeling like you fucked up.

I love you guys, and I love this community for being so supportive.

But please, PLEASE, take what happened here as a reason to do your best if you find something that needs help. For me, for Powerhouse, for anything that needs it, please consider that you might be saving a life, or at least making a doomed being more comfortable in its final hours, and that's worth the pain, worth the heartache, and worth the time and effort.

Thanks. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do with the equipment and what I plan to get. I definitely think it's time to bring more pets into my life - and to maybe look into careers helping them professionally.

giphy.gif

This is so fucking beautiful.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
So sad to wake up to this news. :( RIP Powerhouse.

But let it not be said that you didn't go above and beyond for the little dude. You've got an absolute heart of gold Buttzerker, bless you. Can't wait to see the band.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017

So happy for you. Making me wanna go out and get some more rats, sadly most of mine have passed away already, but I still have two wild rats that my gf brought home from her work (wildlife rehabilitation center). I miss my old ones though

The white ones were all feeder rats from her work that we brought home because they don't do live feedings there, they were all super cute and friendly.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
You are a wonderful human being, Buttzerker, and everything you've done and said has been beautiful in a way I can't find the right words to articulate. Thank you for being the person you are and an inspiration to all of us. Powerhouse was so lucky to have you taking care of him.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So happy for you. Making me wanna go out and get some more rats, sadly most of mine have passed away already, but I still have two wild rats that my gf brought home from her work (wildlife rehabilitation center). I miss my old ones though

The white ones were all feeder rats from her work that we brought home because they don't do live feedings there, they were all super cute and friendly.
omg adorable

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aww, they're gorgeous! I love 'em. <3

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

You're an absolute champ. Rats are fun pets, especially the girls. All of ours automatically potty trained themselves and most were naturally good natured.

Edit: From my experience the pale ones are naturally more skittish (tend to have poor eyesight), so be patient with them.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Awful news but you did everything you could, Buttzerker. I watched you feed him a few times and the amount of dedication and time you put into him was very commendable.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Having followed this thread for days now, I too felt crushed about little Powerhouse.

However, I want to say that Buttzerker's selfless act and this tiny little rodent touched the hearts many people hundreds (thousands?) of miles away. For the most part this thread and the stream has been a beacon of positivity and hope for many all over the world. It takes a true Powerhouse to do that.

I think the lesson here is that a tiny act of kindness and compassion - while seemingly insignificant - could have a much greater impact than you know. I implore everyone (myself included) to extend small courtesies to others and if you see another living being in trouble, do something to help it. Anything.

Little Powerhouse could not see and could barely walk but he brought light into many of our hearts.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no... I'm so sorry for the loss, Buttzerker. It was really enjoyable and heartwarming watching Powerhouse grow every day and you taking care of him.

I don't post very often, but this has been a great experience and I guess I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this story with us, you acted like a wonderful person and you should be proud of yourself.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. I'm sad to see this, but at the same time this thread is still a testament to the best in humanity. To give of yourself to save a life, even what many would deem an insignificant one, is a beautiful thing. It was a a joy to follow this thread, despite the sad turn of events. He got a few days of comfort and safety. In fact thanks to OP, the majority of Powerhouses short life was a good one, as opposed to a life that only consisted of being born and then freezing to death alone and abandoned. That is surely worth something.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been lurking the thread since the beginning so hearing about the passing hit me hard because it reminded me of when my dog passed away. You wrote a very truthful and beautiful message Buttzerker, my condolences for your loss.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little critters like that are very fragile, and you gave him a fighting chance he wouldn't have had otherwise. You did good, Buttzerker. Proud of you.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man :(, I saw the update and my heart skipped a beat. He seemed to be doing so well just yesterday, just getting more energy and everything.

Don't blame yourself, the vast majority of people would have NEVER picked him up, let alone gone through the trouble of taking care and feeding him like you did, you went above and beyond what most people would have done had they saw him laying in that parking lot.

RIP Powerhouse, I will miss you and your ninja kicks.

If you do get some rats as pets I do hope you'll still stream on twitch from time to time as well.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I'm sad to see this, but at the same time this thread is still a testament to the best in humanity. To give of yourself to save a life, even what many would deem an insignificant one, is a beautiful thing. It was a a joy to follow this thread, despite the sad turn of events. He got a few days of comfort and safety. In fact thanks to OP, the majority of Powerhouses short life was a good one, as opposed to a life that only consisted of being born and then freezing to death alone and abandoned. That is surely worth something.

Thanks a ton. <3 I hope people give animals a chance when they find them hurt or alone. Even if it's just keeping them warm enough until they reach a wildlife shelter, you're saving their life.

I hope you revive the twitch stream! At least for a little bit. :)

I promise the Tribute Band will be streaming plenty. :) I think we're all in agreement twitch could use some more positivity-oriented streams.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The little guy was cared for and loved thanks to you. That's a real thing. I'm glad you're committed to keeping that part of yourself alive and carrying your good deed forward to other animals. It's a noble thing. God bless you, OP.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Buttzerker I just re-read the OP and it almost brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

You had so much love and empathy for that little guy in a world where selfishness and hate rule the day. You are a damn Legend.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Rip Powerhouse

My condolences Buttzerker. I think I only posted once, but I've been checking this thread multiple times a day to see how it was going. I appreciate you making this thread even though it hurts us all at the moment. You gave us something to pull for, so thank you for that.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the awesome webcam that Raticus79 got for me for Powerhouse, I'd feel absolutely awful if I DIDN'T.

The tribute band will be streamed this weekend, promise :)

Oh yeah, looking forward to seeing that in action. The flex arm mount will let you put the camera right in the tank with them too, so you can get nice closeups and it saves you from dealing with glass reflections. Just need a small hole in the corner of the cover to put the arm through and then you can seal it up around it afterward with some tape if needed.

The low light mode isn't night vision or anything, it just increases the exposure time (and limits FPS to 30 if it was in 720p/60), so it'll require some light but not nearly as much as a normal webcam.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. Man that's heartbreaking, i really thought he was going to make it. OP, don't feel guilty: you gave it a lot more time than he would get otherwise. At least he knew love, was well fed and confortable

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Sorry to hear that bud.

You done a lot for your little friend and it was quite an uplifting saga that shows that some people in this world are full of compassion.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Powerhouse. It's a shame it ended this way but I'm glad you tried OP, I hope that light in you never dies. Thank you for sharing your story with us, and I look forward to seeing the tribute band.

Status
Not open for further replies.