• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Just wanted to send my condolesences, I think I can relate pretty well to how you felt/feel. I'm currently in tears while writing this.

I'm also sorry if it was my suggestion (might as well not been) that gave you your tag.

Thank you Buttzerker for spreading so much warmth, light and inspiration the last couple of days.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
RIP little buddy. Feels so bad knowing we won't see what kind of mouse (or whatever) he would grow up to be. :(

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So sad :(

I confess I was not super optimistic at first (because he was SO LITTLE) but then he really seemed to be growing fast and getting strong. Good on you OP for doing all that you did. Sorry it didn't work out. :(

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I'm sorry it didn't work out, Buttzerker. I thought you did an admirable job. You should be happy with the dedication, compassion, and care you gave.

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017
About a month or so ago, I little bird fell from a nearby tree and landed on my driveway.
As I was walking out I noticed, picked it up and realized it was badly injured (a wing was broken and the right eye had been popped out).
I took it home, named it George, bought it medicine, cured the eye, restored the wing, feed it and even built a little cardboard house for it to sleep.
A week passes by and he/she flies away, all healed and cured. Then about 2 days or so after that, I come home to find it had gotten ran over on the same driveway from which I had picked it up, because it apparently came back for food but missed the landing.

OP, you did your best, you gave the little fella the best of care it could've had.

tenor.gif

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Quoting you again, I know I responded but seriously, thank you. Please don't feel bad about expectations, I think having people supporting/helping was a huge boon here and made this a lot easier than it would have been otherwise, regarding coping with him dying

If nothing else, now that I'm calming down some, I wanna say this, and I'm gonna update the OP with it because I think it's important. I've got my head on a bit straighter:

Even though Powerhouse passed away, I'm never going to forget this week. Life can be amazing, or cruel, or treacherous, or unpredictable, but if I hadn't picked up that little baby and taken him home, I never would have known what I was capable of when it came to caring for something that couldn't care for itself.

Whether or not it was inevitable that he passed, or if I made some small mistake that spiraled, I needed to do this. And as much as it hurts that he's gone, I hope anyone reading this realizes that while we may not have an obligation to kindness or empathy, the most selfish thing we can do is to consider the cost not worth it, to let ourselves become jaded to the suffering of other living things.

When I was googling around trying to identify Powerhouse's species the other day, I did a lot of searches like "pinkie mouse" and the sort, and you know what came up?

'Pinkie mice, 50 pack, frozen'. For snake food.

And man, that hit me for a second. I'm sitting here losing sleep trying to keep this guy alive, spending over a hundred dollars already doing everything I can and knowing I'll be spending a lot more if he keeps kicking, and there's this company mass-breeding mice just to freeze and sell as food. And I'm not mad at them; I love snakes. They gotta eat, too.

But it was a paradigm shift for me, mentally. A realization that the scale, or the perspective, or the magnitude doesn't matter. Because it's not about trying to save a life, or whether or not I fail in doing so.

It's about not wanting to lose the part of me that's willing to do so, and knowing that even though my efforts failed this time - whether out of my control or not - I'd still do it again. And I will. Any time I find something like this, any time I find an animal that needs help, I'm gonna do it, even knowing that if it dies, it's gonna hit me just as hard as Powerhouse dying today did.

I'd rather be an optimist and be disappointed a million times than be a cynic and be right once.

And if nothing else, for everyone who was as invested in Powerhouse as I am, I hope you guys can at least take some piece of that away.

Please don't be afraid to help a living thing, whether it's a person, animal, or even plant.

Please don't fear the pain that can come with failure. Every ounce of heartache I feel right now is nothing compared to the fact that Powerhouse at least got to be warm, and fed, for a few days.

Please don't listen to people who tell you "it's going to die anyways, why bother?" Maybe they're not even wrong - but it isn't about that. It's about ranking the livelihood of another being, a creature with feelings, over a fear of feeling like you fucked up.

I love you guys, and I love this community for being so supportive.

But please, PLEASE, take what happened here as a reason to do your best if you find something that needs help. For me, for Powerhouse, for anything that needs it, please consider that you might be saving a life, or at least making a doomed being more comfortable in its final hours, and that's worth the pain, worth the heartache, and worth the time and effort.

Thanks. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do with the equipment and what I plan to get. I definitely think it's time to bring more pets into my life - and to maybe look into careers helping them professionally.
I just have to quote this again, as it is important and beautifully written.
This thread has been an absolute roller coaster of emotions for me for this past week, I really want to thank you Buttzerker for reminding me that there are indeed good people still out there in this cold world. Anybody - human, animal, fish, plant, whatever - would be blessed to have you as a carer, as you are willing to go above and beyond to ensure their safety and comfort.

Peace, brother.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
RIP. Sorry to see it didn't work out, but you did your best. Way more than most would.

I was "haunted" by a jackdaw for some time this summer that I failed to save, or even help it out of it's suffering. Didn't have the guts to do it, though it's even a law to not leave animals suffer. I was also hoping it would still survive with some food and water. Saw the dead body for few weeks during my way to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just have to quote this again, as it is important and beautifully written.
This thread has been an absolute roller coaster of emotions for me for this past week, I really want to thank you Buttzerker for reminding me that there are indeed good people still out there in this cold world. Anybody - human, animal, fish, plant, whatever - would be blessed to have you as a carer, as you are willing to go above and beyond to ensure their safety and comfort.

Peace, brother.
Damn..

in the span of just barely a week, you became like the best dad i have ever known.

You're an amazing person to me.

Thanks guys. <3

As a quick heads up, we might not do our purchasing tomorrow, but we're definitely shopping. I'm consulting with a rat breeding friend [too far away for me to take any rats off her hands, sadly, she's in another state] and a vet, and apparently an aquarium is actually a pretty bad choice because it traps the ammonia smell pretty badly unless you CONSTANTLY clean it.

So we're gonna check out the local pet stores for their options, make sure we have a nice home prepared, then grab 'em. But again, will be updating for the sake of those who have been so kind and following along here. <3 Just need to make sure we have the best home possible for them.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quoting you again, I know I responded but seriously, thank you. Please don't feel bad about expectations, I think having people supporting/helping was a huge boon here and made this a lot easier than it would have been otherwise, regarding coping with him dying

If nothing else, now that I'm calming down some, I wanna say this, and I'm gonna update the OP with it because I think it's important. I've got my head on a bit straighter:

Even though Powerhouse passed away, I'm never going to forget this week. Life can be amazing, or cruel, or treacherous, or unpredictable, but if I hadn't picked up that little baby and taken him home, I never would have known what I was capable of when it came to caring for something that couldn't care for itself.

Whether or not it was inevitable that he passed, or if I made some small mistake that spiraled, I needed to do this. And as much as it hurts that he's gone, I hope anyone reading this realizes that while we may not have an obligation to kindness or empathy, the most selfish thing we can do is to consider the cost not worth it, to let ourselves become jaded to the suffering of other living things.

When I was googling around trying to identify Powerhouse's species the other day, I did a lot of searches like "pinkie mouse" and the sort, and you know what came up?

And man, that hit me for a second. I'm sitting here losing sleep trying to keep this guy alive, spending over a hundred dollars already doing everything I can and knowing I'll be spending a lot more if he keeps kicking, and there's this company mass-breeding mice just to freeze and sell as food. And I'm not mad at them; I love snakes. They gotta eat, too.

But it was a paradigm shift for me, mentally. A realization that the scale, or the perspective, or the magnitude doesn't matter. Because it's not about trying to save a life, or whether or not I fail in doing so.

It's about not wanting to lose the part of me that's willing to do so, and knowing that even though my efforts failed this time - whether out of my control or not - I'd still do it again. And I will. Any time I find something like this, any time I find an animal that needs help, I'm gonna do it, even knowing that if it dies, it's gonna hit me just as hard as Powerhouse dying today did.

I'd rather be an optimist and be disappointed a million times than be a cynic and be right once.

And if nothing else, for everyone who was as invested in Powerhouse as I am, I hope you guys can at least take some piece of that away.

Please don't be afraid to help a living thing, whether it's a person, animal, or even plant.

Please don't fear the pain that can come with failure. Every ounce of heartache I feel right now is nothing compared to the fact that Powerhouse at least got to be warm, and fed, for a few days.

Please don't listen to people who tell you "it's going to die anyways, why bother?" Maybe they're not even wrong - but it isn't about that. It's about ranking the livelihood of another being, a creature with feelings, over a fear of feeling like you fucked up.

But please, PLEASE, take what happened here as a reason to do your best if you find something that needs help. For me, for Powerhouse, for anything that needs it, please consider that you might be saving a life, or at least making a doomed being more comfortable in its final hours, and that's worth the pain, worth the heartache, and worth the time and effort.

Thanks. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do with the equipment and what I plan to get. I definitely think it's time to bring more pets into my life - and to maybe look into careers helping them professionally.
Holy... fuck.

You are a powerful person, OP.

Powerhouse was a lucky being.

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP.
You really kept the best of this week eventually, congratulations for the thoughts you made from this potential sadness.

Taking care of others is the best fuel for emotions, being positive (love mainly) or negative (disappointment being one of the worst), so in a way that's living.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't posted in the thread like others, but I've been lurking this for a few days and I honestly wasn't expecting this outcome.

Sorry for the loss OP, but I'm happy that you've managed to find hope and meaning to that. Don't ever change that positive and empathic mindset of yours, really, the world needs more people like you. Cheers, man.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So sorry to hear that OP.

Been monitoring this thread on and off.

You did a great job and everything you could.

I'm looking forward to the tribute band!

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
=( So sorry my man. Just the way you talked to the little dude on the stream showed you have a good heart.

Maybe an odd video to post but the video for Comfortably Numb played out a bit like this, sans the overdose scenes. Kid finds a sick, wild rat and excitedly takes it home to care for but later it dies. Sounds simple but for some reason it's always hit me hard like seeing today's update. Poor dude. Glad he had you in his short life.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Checked in on the live stream a couple times since the discovery and was awaiting good news of his health and species during growth. Did not expect this news to be so sudden...

Condolences, that was a brave and wondrous thing you did.

Xenocthul

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Powerhouse. At least he got to be warm and well fed while he was alive.

Can't wait to see the pet rats you decide on.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Buttzerker, my friend who watched the stream often with me was heartbroken when I informed her and since she can't post on here, she wants me to relay this message on her behalf:

Captn_Al from Twitch said:
Sorry for your loss @Buttzerker, you've been the most committed human rodent mum I've ever witnessed. RIP, Powerhouse. ❤

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
My condolences for your loss. You did the best that you could to give it a second chance. Even though Powerhouse is gone, nothing can take away the fact that you are a good person by heart.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
There's some pretty good youtube videos out there for making really nice rat habitats. IIRC the recommendation was like one of those really big two level bird cages and then just fill it with hammocks and toys and hideyholes for the rats to nest in.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
I never posted in this thread but followed it closely

You should be really proud of how good a job you did giving a random abandoned animal a chance

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
You did everything you could, Buttzerker. Massive kudos to you and a sad farewell to little Powerhouse.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry for the passing of your special lil buddy :(
You have the heart in the right place, and you made our little Earth a better place by the radiance of your kindness.
Innocent and pure emotions, they accompanied our buddy to his home of the forever.
Take care B, my warm thoughts to you.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to donate a little bit to fund either a good housing unit or a better camera.
Hey the awesome raticus just bought me a wonderful cam so we are covered there, but I'd definitely be grateful for anything on the new habitat!

Again, not at all required though of course.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017

This is maybe the best post I've ever read on a forum. Thank you again for what you did and the positivity you've put out into the world.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I shed some tears over Powerhouse when I found out during my lunch break. Rest in peace, little man.

I'm super happy to hear about your future plans, Buttzerker. I know it must be really rough for you right now, but I'm glad to hear that your future is looking bright! I'll for sure be checking out your streams in the future.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. So sorry to hear this. You did an amazing job. Sending you positivity.

Edit: also wanted to say that without you, Powerhouse would not have had the days they did. You showed that little buddy love and gave them a fighting chance. That's incredible. And your efforts brought together a community of people all routing for something beautiful and positive. In todays age of cynicism, that is something really powerful.

My condolences

Status
Not open for further replies.