• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss, OP, you did everything you could.
Powerhouse didn't die malnourished, freezing, possibly getting eaten - He passed away peacefully, with a full belly and a warm blanket.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
there was so much I had to do on his second week and I'm so afraid I messed some of it up

You did NOTHING wrong, my man.
When i gave you my vet's indications i omitted one part because i knew you didn't want / need to hear it.
The final part of his text message was:

"Be prepared though, it will have something like a 1 in 50 chances to survive the first two weeks, best of luck!"

So, again, don't beat yourself over it...i know it's not easy, but you did wonderful.

Hugs,
Gabe.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man.

Poor thing, but you done the best for the little one OP, so don't beat yourself up.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I went and adopted these two 5-week old rat boys after work tonight:

Mandrake
TL4yZCT.jpg

Console
9K7VCSL.jpg

The big furball under Console is Sisyphus. He's just over 2 and a half years old. His remaining brother (Tantalus) died in his sleep a few weeks ago, leaving him alone -- and I've been putting off getting him some new friends.

Watching Powerhouse, I realized I had not been doing the best I could for Sisyphus -- and hearing the news today, I decided it was time for some new pets.

I'm watching them carefully to make sure they are getting along -- so far so good.

For completeness, here's my favorite photo of Sisyphus (left) and his two brothers, Tantalus (right) and Hudson (bottom):

WDeGRjZ.jpg
Awwwwwwwww I love how this is inspiring others! <3

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was checking this thread daily. Sorry to hear the news.
Makes you wonder if he was doomed from the beginning? I'm not an expert or anything but I think I remember reading that animals can sometimes sense when something is wrong with there offspring and will abandon them or even kill them.

dotslash21

Sep 20, 2018
I was a lurker until yesterday, had to wait for my account to be approved.

So sorry for you and Powerhouse. We know for sure though that he was happy and safe, and your actions have had a really positive impact on many people. Thank you for doing this!

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been lurking in this thread a bit. Just had to send my condolences about his passing.

You gave him a chance in the world, and that is all that matters. Thanks for your efforts.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Damn, this is rough :( After he pulled through those first few days I was sure he was going to make it and now this. This really sucks, but you did the best you could. RIP Powerhouse.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Noooooooo :(

Must have been heartbreaking, I would have thought the hardest part was over.
RIP

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Another lurker here, and this thread has been great, it gave me something to look forward to and be happy about during a really stressful week. So sorry to hear about Powerhouse passing away, but like others have said, at least he got to be warm, well fed, and loved until the end. This really was an amazing thing for you to do, an act of pure selflessness, which is really rare.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I'm heartbroken for you. Hopefully you can turn this newfound energy into a desire to care for mice/rats of your own. Keep on keeping on, friend.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry OP. The same thing happened to me with two baby orphaned mice I found some months ago. Those were older, had fur and would have had a better chance of survival.
Same as with the little one you found, mine seemed to be doing well too and then suddenly things went bad so quickly there was nothing to be done.

You tried your best, but the chances of them surviving are just so small, that's not something that you did wrong or something you didn't do.
But at least, when it died, it was in a safe place, there was warmth and food and someone who cared and only wished the best.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Been a lurker as well. Just remember OP, you did the right thing here no matter what. In life, many times it is intent that matters the most. Your intentions here were beyond admirable. My hats off to you and RIP Powerhouse.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
This is so sad :'( I'm really sorry for your loss and I know you did everything in your power to keep him alive :'(

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, a minor update here, and some great news:

I've gotten e-mails from four different households who all went out and adopted mice or rats this week. I can't even tell you how happy that made me hear. A total of 15 lovely rodents are now in loving homes, including the lovely new two posted in this very thread.

I've been having to work a lot to make up for the days taken off, but tomorrow I should be able to update you all about the new family members in our own home.

Again, thanks so much for the support, and I'm excited to make a new thread about this once we've got a livestream going for the new rats. :)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that, you tried your best. Probably needed it's mother to survive at such a young age. RIP Powerhouse.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

I've gotten e-mails from four different households who all went out and adopted mice or rats this week. I can't even tell you how happy that made me hear. A total of 15 lovely rodents are now in loving homes, including the lovely new two posted in this very thread.

I've been having to work a lot to make up for the days taken off, but tomorrow I should be able to update you all about the new family members in our own home.

Again, thanks so much for the support, and I'm excited to make a new thread about this once we've got a livestream going for the new rats. :)
This is so great. You and Powerhouse have been such an inspiration. Unfortunately I can't adopt any of my own at this point because I have 5 cats and they would be dead pretty quickly (a few of my cats are masters at it). If we're around, we always save the mice they find, but sometimes they find them when we're asleep or not at home. :(

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Your kind heart is spreading to others. funny how things work out.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I went and adopted these two 5-week old rat boys after work tonight:

Mandrake
TL4yZCT.jpg

Console
9K7VCSL.jpg

The big furball under Console is Sisyphus. He's just over 2 and a half years old. His remaining brother (Tantalus) died in his sleep a few weeks ago, leaving him alone -- and I've been putting off getting him some new friends.

Watching Powerhouse, I realized I had not been doing the best I could for Sisyphus -- and hearing the news today, I decided it was time for some new pets.

I'm watching them carefully to make sure they are getting along -- so far so good.

For completeness, here's my favorite photo of Sisyphus (left) and his two brothers, Tantalus (right) and Hudson (bottom):

WDeGRjZ.jpg

So cute, I love rats.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Good to hear! I know it can be difficult considering the love and time put into it. Glad to see you're taking on new pets!

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
What you did, what you wrote, are wonderful things. You make this world a better place OP, and frankly I don't think most people can say that.

I don't think you failed or made a mistake with Powerhouse. Without you, he'd probably had died that same night. You gave it that week, and even though he was never aware of it, you made it experience some kindness in its life. That has great value.

Three weeks ago I found an agonizing adult rat. It was breathing, but other than that it was almost dead. It didn't move, not even when I touched it. Laying in the middle of the road in its own shit. I know most people would have ignored it, but I decided to finish it, because it was clearly suffering a lot. In its final moment, it moved for a second, it fought for its life, when it was too late for me to go back. It fucked me up for a few days and still makes me feel bad, but I think I did the right thing. I showed it mercy, even though it could not understand it.

When I told my wife, she told me it probably had been poisoned. It hadn't occurred to me. What made me feel so bad was the conscious action of another human being, someone from my neighborhood. She then told me that I should have dumped the poor rat in a trashcan, so that other animals wouldn't eat it and get poisoned as well. She told me about how that was a problem for endangered animals in some parts of the world. It didn't make me feel better, quite the opposite, but it gave me a greater understanding of why I'd done what I'd done and why, next time, I'll do the same thing. Hopefully then, instead of ending suffering, I'll be able to extend a life, like OP did.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Hey guys a bit of bright news.

After talking with the roomie, tomorrow we are gonna pick up the Powerhouse Tribute Band:

3 Rats, ideally feeders to spare them from being snake food. :)

Gonna make a new thread with pics when we get them all set up.

RIP Powerhouse & condolences to OP - you did all you could & so much more. I love rats, super stoked 3 of them will be getting an awesome home!

The world needs more empathetic and compassionate people like OP. Feel like this thread has given me a much needed boost of hope

EDIT: Just saw the new thread and that 3 mice got an awesome home :)))

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Oh man OP I'm so sorry, just checked the thread after a couple days and saw the update. Glad to read such nice gestures from people here with adoptions and donations. Hope all is well OP, you did an excellent job caring for Powerhouse and you would make a great owner.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man OP I'm so sorry, just checked the thread after a couple days and saw the update. Glad to read such nice gestures from people here with adoptions and donations. Hope all is well OP, you did an excellent job caring for Powerhouse and you would make a great owner.

Hey I appreciate it, and from your post it sounds like you'll be happy to know that my roommate and I adopted 3 mice in honor of Power House. I posted a thread about it a little above and I am live streaming them as well!

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hey I appreciate it, and from your post it sounds like you'll be happy to know that my roommate and I adopted 3 mice in honor of Power House. I posted a thread about it a little above and I am live streaming them as well!

All right Buttzerker!

Nice update. Enjoy the fuzzies. They'll be well taken care of.

I wonder if they have mice treats?

Zellator

Sep 14, 2018
Once I found a critter in a parking lot too, he was kinda hurt but we manage to raise him for some time.
I know it's painful to see them going.

Sorry to hear about your loss OP! You did your best!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
RIP Powerhouse, you lived a good life while it lasted. Don't beat yourself up over it OP. If it makes you feel better, you can go adopt a pair of mice or other rodent from a pet store who will love you just as much.

Oct 27, 2017
I was checking this thread daily. Sorry to hear the news.
Makes you wonder if he was doomed from the beginning? I'm not an expert or anything but I think I remember reading that animals can sometimes sense when something is wrong with there offspring and will abandon them or even kill them.
Yes, I found my cat crying on the side of the road, at one week old. She was sick and her mom abandoned her. Luckily, it was just a cold and I was able to get her better. I'm sorry for your loss, OP.

SweetChinMusic

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2018
You did NOTHING wrong, my man.
When i gave you my vet's indications i omitted one part because i knew you didn't want / need to hear it.
The final part of his text message was:

"Be prepared though, it will have something like a 1 in 50 chances to survive the first two weeks, best of luck!"

So, again, don't beat yourself over it...i know it's not easy, but you did wonderful.

Hugs,
Gabe.

Ah yes, nothing like sugar coating how life and nature actually work instead of emotionally preparing someone!

SweetChinMusic

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2018
As there isn't an entire industry with experience and data regarding the way these things should be approached. Your personal preference is not what matters here. At all.

So you are suggesting health practitioners should willfully deceive their patients and paint a rosy picture of false hope instead of presenting cold hard facts?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So you are suggesting health practitioners should willfully deceive their patients and paint a rosy picture of false hope instead of presenting cold hard facts?
This discussion is redundant because OP had already seen three vets before Gabe relayed the message. Furthermore, OP asked how he should take care of the rat/mouse pup; not what its chances at survival were. As such, Gabe under no moral obligation to include that part of the message.

I would even argue it would have been scummy to include it because A) OP already knew the pup's chances, B) was nevertheless scrambling to save him, and C) was annoyed by people telling him the pup was going to die anyway. At that point, you're not helpful by giving 'the cold hard facts' — you're just being an asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.