• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychocrasha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, we have been married for 8 years. We have not been close physically once we started having kids and it got worse over the years to a point where we fight constantly and like 5 years ago she has not shared the same blanket with me, she gave me my own. She talked about divorce and separation, she wants me to sleep in a different room, I rejected all those options...I know separation would just do more damage to us. She openly said if she met someone she liked she wouldn't be able to control herself and fall in love with him

Anyway, we moved to a different house this year and she invited the maintenance guy to dinner with us. She acted flirty to him during dinner and him a little to her...well, she's acted like that to him every time he's around. We had some big fights cause I was jealous and after all that she told me she no longer loves me and that she's changed. To now, I have been doing adjustments to improve myself for her to feel for me sgain (like helping with house work, helping with kids).

Still, she would wonder about him and the kind of person he is. I told her she liked him...sometime later she would ask me why I think she liked him.
I actually spoke to her about it and said I was uncomfortable she's too close to him and asked her to stop directly contacting him for any house work (they have an email to the maintenance group). At other times I told her there is a line she can't cross. At another time I told her that because she resents me and can't talk to me, and that she is depressed, she's emotionally vulnerable and that other men can take advantage of that...to which she replied, why is that so bad?

She set password on her phone a while ago and she didn't want to give me her phone when I asked to use it (for legitimate reasons). I already knew something was going on since she always let me use her phone by giving me the password but she hasn't given me this new password. She would also have suspicious calls and talks with men. Like one time she had a call from a man while driving, and his first sentence was, jody (fake wife name), are you ok? And she just listened and didn't say much and later hung up. Another time she was chatting with some guy on the call for a while and I got angry..she said he's the sales person from a store and he's a little gay (IF it is really that guy, yes, I think he's gay).

Anyway, this morning she let me talk to the hospital for her appointment and after the call I checked her chatting app. And I found her chatting with the maintenance guy..the chats are quite personal with her telling him how she was doing and how her period is lasting too long making her feel bad, I also saw her asking him for morning coffee.
I got so upset I didn't check all then messages. From what I did see, he didn't act inappropriate..but I didn't see all the messages..

I confronted her, she got very emotional and apologize to me and asked for me to forgive her. She said she didn't do more than chatting with him. She said she only chatted with him cause she was mad at me. I told her she need to stop lying to me, she's talking to him because she's likes him. She's been begging me to forgive her or tell her what to do, if I want her to leave us. She says she only knew how important I am to her when I confronted her with the messages..

Well, I am not feeling sad. I feel nothing...I am just feeling empty. I do love her but I don't know what the fuck is happening or what I am doing anymore.
I know she's depressed and is moody due to the kids, and me, plus financial burden. She also has a chronic life threatening disease (but so far is basically not active and no treatment needed, however it is still doing harm to her body). I can forgive her only because I love her, but also because I know she hasn't been able to talk to me due to our distance and she probably needed that someone to talk to...even if it is romantically in her mind..she probably unknowingly wanted an escape. I don't know I would do anything different if I was her.

I kind of wanted to text then maintenance guy and tell him my wife is in depression and apologize for her actions towards him. Should I do that? I am honestly bothered by it that he probably thinks my wife is cheating and I am not knowing. I don't like this at all.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"invited the maintenance guy to dinner with us".... first sign. yikes.

also

"maintenance guy wasnt innapropriate in texts"... umm dude... he was being innapropriate even TALKING to her in 1st place in texts

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand wanting to be with someone that actively disrespects you. How do you look someone in the face and tell them you're not going to be able to control yourself if you find someone else to hook up with? How could you just sit there while she flirts with another man in your face?

You need to go to counseling and find a way to get through this, probably by getting a divorce.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you aren't physically intimate and don't even sleep in the same bed then why would it matter to you? Assuming you can afford to do so you need to divorce her ass and move on.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is barely even cheating. This relationship was over long before you were willing to acknowledge it.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"She talked about divorce" thats kind of was the first first sign man. Marriages in general don't last don't 60% of all marriages end in divorce.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand wanting to be with someone that actively disrespects you. How do you look someone in the face and tell them you're not going to be able to control yourself if you find someone else to hook up with? How could you just sit there while she flirts with another man in your face?

You need to go to counseling and find a way to get through this, probably by getting a divorce.

Disrespect nothing. She doesn't like him and apparently hasn't for years.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
My friend you should have gotten out of this long ago. Sounds like she checked out when she wanted a divorce, separation and such. I would talk to her and figure out a way to end it amicably. Don't waste your life trying to make something work that clearly wont

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wanted to text then maintenance guy and tell him my wife is in depression and apologize for her actions towards him. Should I do that?
Under no circumstances should you continue to engage this person or involve them in your life. Don't text him. Don't talk to him. He doesn't exist. Your wife is the person who needs to change, not the maintenance man.

That said, it seems like your wife is checked out of your marriage and has been for years, but is terrified of leaving because it would mean a total disruption of her life. Since you have children, they need to be 100% your priority moving forward. If the marriage is toxic, it's going to affect them negatively if it isn't already. You probably both need counseling, both individually and as a couple, and if neither of you are willing to even take that step, then you need to preparing to leave her and focusing on your children.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, why? This is the most toxic, most unfruitful marriage stories I've read about in some time. Why go on in it? You both sound literally miserable and there is no trust no respect no nothing anymore. It's dead Jim, and I'm just puzzled why you would cling on so tight? Loving a person is not remaining married to them no matter what. Sometimes the best and most loving thing to do is let go and have some semblance of happy life down the road.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
She basically straight up told you she didn't want to be with you, and you chose denial instead of dealing with the reality in front of you. What did you expect would happen?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I never ever post in these kinds of threads, but dude, bail. Get out. If all of the things posted are undisputed facts, you don't have - and haven't had in a long while - a relationship.

You're miserable. She offers you nothing. Get out. Life's too short, man. You've given this worthless relationship years.

Oct 26, 2017
Get counseling for both of you, even if the two of you think an exit is imminent especially for the kids.

I can say, from experience, 8 years is enough time for people to change and if those changes were never communicated, understood and reciprocated, things like what you're describing happens more often than not.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This. The relationship has been over for years. It sucks when there are kids involved, but it is what it is. Suck it up, end it and take time to recover and eventually find someone that actually loves and respects you. Maybe it could have been saved by counseling years ago when she first started saying those things and wanting you to sleep in another room etc. After years of that I doubt there's anyway to repair it, if there ever was.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You two needs marriage counseling badly. Your relationship is obviously not healthy and you need to consider some options, including divorce. And honestly it sounds like you two should have separated a while ago.

edit

The more I re-read the OP and see the comments in this thread the more I think the OP comes across as super controlling in kind of a creepy way. The wife needs out.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We cannot get 8 years of back story in a short post, but reading what you have posted and reading how you describe both yourself and her, one though came up over and over.

You seem to think of yourelf as a much better person than you are. The way you describe your wife in this post is very demeaning and initializing. The way you treat her is overbearing and disrespectful. You act like taking care of the kids and around the house is this big change that you need to be praised for. You say that you know what is better for her, and that staying with you is the only way for her to be OK, even when she has been telling you for 5 years that she wants to leave you. It seems she just wants to get away from you and you simply are not letting her by being a manipulative guy, using her sickness, the kids and economics to keep her shackled to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
sounds like she's wanted to divorce for a long time and you didn't let her

i don't see why her being with other men would be wrong in that case

once it was clear the relationship was over you should have broken up like she wanted. if you wanted to stay together for the sake of your kids, you could have done so while allowing each other to meet other people on the side

it seems like the relationship has been over for a long time and you have been in denial about that fact

nightwatcher

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This was a hard read. OP remember one thing, if someone wants to walk away from you, let them go. No begging or changing yourself will do any good. They have made up their mind. Just LET THEM GO.

I am sorry if I am being harsh but its for your own good. We all deserve someone who loves us just as much as we love them. You guys are clearly not happy, whats the point of living together? One person alone can't work on a relationship, it would only work if both willing to make it work. In your case, its just you.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry mate, but your first paragraph alone tells me your marriage ended years ago. You're both living in its ruins. Not gonna tell you what to do, it's your decision to make, but i would've ended it a long time before this maintenance guy ever showed up.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
OP this relationship has been dead for years. I'm sorry. You need to get out and let her go. Trust and intimacy is gone. Your relationship won't authentically return to what it was before you were having kids. Despite what she says she is not committed to you. Believe her actions not her words.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consult a lawyer. A good one too. Otherwise you're not only in danger of losing your marriage (sounds like it's already lost, honestly), but a good chunk of your possessions and future wealth as well. I'm sorry you found yourself in this situation, but you need to be proactive in protecting yourself now.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
It's not cheating. She told you a long time ago that she didn't want to be with you anymore but you chose not to accept it. Now that you have, cut ties and move on. You are years late

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
What a roller coaster.

No, you should not text the maintenance guy to apologize, why would you do that? You have nothing to apologize for. If anything you can confront him to back off your wife, but honestly the problem lies with her, not any potential guys.

It sounds like you both need to get some help to figure out your relationship. There's a lot of moving pieces in your story and I'm not going to address them all, but it sounds like you both have problems. Why weren't you helping out with house work and the kids before? Why is she fallen out of love? It's been over five years since you guys shared blankets, have you two ever sought professional help to fix your relationship after your own efforts failed?

I'm sorry to hear about all this stuff regardless. I would be crushed if I found out my wife was doing stuff like that. I truly hope you find a way to salvage your relationship and find happiness again with your family. That's what it's all about in the end.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Why are you even still in this relationship? There's no love there anymore, you think that's healthy for a kid?
Also I feel like you're not telling us something, OP. Why is she "upset" at you? You imply there's a reason you've grown distant, otherwise I don't think you'd give it a pass.
She's definitely not in the right acting this way, but it sounds like you're intentionally being oblivious/are in denial. Hopefully this is the wake up call you both need.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry to hear that. I really don't know what the hell I would do if my marriage of 10 years suffered that.

But I do know this: I would have been filing for divorce the moment she told me that she wouldn't be able to control herself if she met someone she liked. Done, finished.

Dec 12, 2017
She apologized that her period was late and you don't think he was acting inappropriate. Yeah, it's over. You should have let her go a while ago.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She basically straight up told you she didn't want to be with you, and you chose denial instead of dealing with the reality in front of you. What did you expect would happen?

Reading his post, it seems that he has been trying to "Nice Guy" his way into being loved again. If anything, he is being totally unfair to his wife. Leveraging kids and sickness to force her to be with him even when she clearly wants out.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
You only have one life to live, don't waste it by staying in an unhappy dysfunctional marriage, you'll end up being a bitter old man.

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have to agree with this. As much as you're hurting right now, OP: if you really cared about her happiness then you would have set her free when she first asked you to do so.

Oct 29, 2017
Your relationship sounds like its been over for a while and you guys just havent come to terms with it. Time to talk about divorce and be sure to talk to your kids through the whole deal.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She left you years ago. What's wrong with you that you would stay in that kind of marriage. I don't recommend couples therapy but I do recommend you see a therapist. You need to learn how to make better choices that will benefit you immensely. Staying with someone that did all that to you is incredibly dangerous emotionally. And even more important it will benefit your kids.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The moment someone directly expresses the desire to end a relationship, is the moment it ended. The fact that the relationship survived 5 years after her telling you she is not in love with you anymore is puzzling to me. Your relationship with her is very toxic, and honestly she has the right to leave just as much as you do. Can you explain to me what makes you think living like this miserably is better then splitting? I understand not wanting to separate for the kids, but that's about it to be honest. I know this sounds very difficult, but you have to make peace that this is ending. Make arrangement to end the marriage, but that sure not a marriage anymore.

ryul2

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
sorry to be the echo chamber OP, but your marriage has been over for a very long time. I don't think there's anything salvageable (in terms of the marriage/marriage counseling) but I think you should go see a therapist or at least talk to someone (posting on era isn't the same thing).

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Dude the relationship finished some years ago, she told you and you chose denial. Or perhaps you felt that she could only live married to you which speaks more about your ego than anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
My heart goes to you my man. Some tough decisions ahead.
Why would your wife talk about her period with maintenance guy tho.. unless their relationship has evolved into physical one?
Wish you all the best and no matter what happens try to keep your cool.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you really need to evaluate whether you still want to be in this relationship. Even from the timeline you gave this can't have been a surprise. In a twisted way this could be the best thing that could have happened.

Oct 29, 2017
She told you she is no longer in love with you and asked for a separation/divorce, and you seemed too stubborn to comply. She wasn't exactly being secretive about her lack of feelings about you? Shitty situation of course, but there's no point in being with someone who no longer has feelings for you and who's openly told you she would fall in love with another guy if she liked him enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.