• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it matter that these games have nothing in common? A lot of other categories also have games that have nothing in common.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is condescending. There aren't many family-oriented games on the non-Nintendo platforms. They DO exist, but they're not many. Nintendo has consistently put out the best ones in the category, so it makes sense that all the nominees are Nintendo. Smash is something families can play together as it's fairly simple to teach someone the controls, yet hardcore gamers love it for obvious reasons.

I sometimes have trouble putting across what I mean. The problem isn't the fact that they are all Nintendo. They happen to be all Nintendo because Nintendo creates games in the categories that are ignored in the game awards. It could have been a different list of games but the same point would still stand.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is the important question.

These games all have on big thing in common for me and that is my daughter and I have played them altogether. Yes, even Ring Fit.
I have a coworker that had not touched video games since the N64, and now has two daughters. He decided to pick up a Switch to play BotW and some other games. His daughters absolutely loved watching him play BotW, and the next Halloween, they even dressed up as Zelda and a Korok.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't bother me personally. I can enjoy G rated movies and recognize that they're mostly made for children.

What does make me laugh though is people saying that the game awards winners are all violent and sterile when Disco Elysium swept every category it was up for including best narrative and RPG, and ended up walking away with the most awards.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
This is the important question.

These games all have on big thing in common for me and that is my daughter and I have played them altogether. Yes, even Ring Fit.

I don't have my own children but I do have kids in the family and we do play games together, and yes these are the games we will play. Part of my point was that these games deserve a bit more than being "praised" only for being "family friendly". Every game in that list I also play on my own with no family around, for hours on end, and thoroughly enjoy. I love platformers, rhythm games, party games, puzzle games and local multiplayer games (which may or may not necessarily be "family friendly"). The fact that their "best multiplayer" category doesn't take into account local multiplayer speaks for itself.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I have a coworker that had not touched video games since the N64, and now has two daughters. He decided to pick up a Switch to play BotW and some other games. His daughters absolutely loved watching him play BotW, and the next Halloween, they even dressed up as Zelda and a Korok.

This further proves the point! Botw is not a "family game" (and therefore wasn't included as such and even won the thing previously). It just has no blood or gore and therefore is suitable for a child to watch. It is a 100% single player experience. If Nintendo had tacked on some sort of multiplayer element to it, should it have been featured in the family section? Ironically it probably would have, and then not won. I understand what the category is "trying" to do, but all it does is illustrate how the categories and how they decide to include the games are flawed, and that games are seen as "less" for promoting being family friendly or local multiplayer friendly.

Last edited:

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Then show is a joke and can't be taken seriously. They had Death Stranding up there for GOTY and no Luigi's Mansion? Just because it's not some realistic game.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed. Meanwhile, other categories like Action/Adventure are too broad. They could have a better genre division.

I agree with this. On the whole I feel that TGA need to further develop & tailor the awards to the actual gaming culture. It feels as though most awards are just reskinned movie awards.

Perhaps this says something about the genres of our hobby & how diverse gaming can be.

Even GotY is a strange category because it is never defined what exactly it takes to be GotY. Was it impact? Media coverage? Review scores? The level of fun a game provides during play? I'm absolutely loved Sekiro this year & earned the platinum. I was happy to see it win the big award. But by what merit did it win over the equally impressive & impactful games in the category?

Anyway, my thought about the Family Game category is that we as the gaming culture are caught in a divide between games as Fun, games as Art, & games as Spectacle. Nintendo most definitely views Fun as the most important quality. This belief keeps Nintendo separated from a large part of the industry which places the most importance in Spectacle. Thus they are put into a nebulous category all their own for recognition. Even Geoff recognized this last year & joked about Nintendo's chances in that category.

Yeah, LM3 smokes Death Stranding. Sad, really.

I love both LM3 & Death Stranding. Death Stranding is by far the more immediately impactful game.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have kids I think this category makes more sense. Of all the things I bought this year these are basically the only ones I'd show to a <10 yr old.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't even understand how Ring Fit is even there. What makes that a family game in any way lol? Should've been nominated for best RPG

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
If you have kids I think this category makes more sense. Of all the things I bought this year these are basically the only ones I'd show to a <10 yr old.

In that case they should be honest and name the category that, and also take into account that >10 year olds also play and enjoy these games when it comes to deciding the nominess for other categories and even the award categories in the first place. Seeing most games I enjoy as an adult playing on my own only being mentioned in a category full of games that is <10 year old friendly makes no sense. There's more to them than that.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have my own children but I do have kids in the family and we do play games together, and yes these are the games we will play. Part of my point was that these games deserve a bit more than being "praised" only for being "family friendly". Every game in that list I also play on my own with no family around, for hours on end, and thoroughly enjoy. I love platformers, rhythm games, party games, puzzle games and local multiplayer games (which may or may not necessarily be "family friendly"). The fact that their "best multiplayer" category doesn't take into account local multiplayer speaks for itself.

The key part I disagree with you on is being family friendly, especially in today's market, is a compliment is something I actively seek as a parent. I don't view this as tossing these games a bone. Also some of these have no/limited actual multiplayer.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Platformer (Super Mario Maker 2, Bloodstained, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Shovel Knight King of Cards, Yoshi Crafted World etc)

Local Multiplayer (Smash Bros, Crash Team Racing, Jackbox Party Pack 6 etc)

Rhythm/Puzzle (Tetris 99, Taiko no Tatsujin etc)

Yes, Nintendo happens to make the most games in the genres I'm interested in,
but even as seen above half of the games I've listed aren't Nintendo, and I'm sure there's plenty more I don't even know about. Grouping all the above as simply "family friendly" is cheap in my opinion.

And being a bit more brave and putting Luigi's Mansion into adventure or Ring Fit into sports. It's almost ironic that the one game that actually gets you moving isn't included.

This was about what I thought it was about, but I'll agree those could be used. Though Bloodstained is a Metroidvania, not a platformer. It's not about tricky timing and far as I know you can't fall off the edge of something and die like a goof. Trouble is, are there enough to fill those genres every year?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
In that case they should be honest and name the category that, and also take into account that >10 year olds also play and enjoy these games when it comes to deciding the nominess for other categories and even the award categories in the first place. Seeing most games I enjoy as an adult playing on my own only being mentioned in a category full of games that is <10 year old friendly makes no sense. There's more to them than that.

You still don't seem to get what Family Friendly & All Ages means as a general term.

Are you self conscious 'cause the listed games are E for Everyone or something?

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
The key part I disagree with you on is being family friendly, especially in today's market, is a compliment is something I actively seek as a parent. I don't view this as tossing these games a bone. Also some of these have no/limited actual multiplayer.

I totally agree. I am not downplaying the importance of games that a parent should know is safe (and fun) for their kids to play. If it was a category on its own that clearly wasn't designed to mask that Ring Fit being put down as an RPG or Sports would turn heads, and that online multiplayer is not the only form of multiplayer in 2019, and that genres like platformers, rhythm and puzzle games exist, then I'd be totally on board.

Maybe they should rename the category as kid/parent friendly then? Because with what it's currently called, Jackbox Party Pack 6 and even FIFA are also perfect family games, but clearly this list is even more specific. It honestly really is just kid friendly/no gore or swearing/fun oriented, otherwise the two games I mentioned should absolutely be there. They should be honest with the name and not make it a dumping ground for perfectly great games that are yes very family friendly but also much more than that. It's just the same with the way these games get reviewed and it's getting old.

Last edited:

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't see what the problem is. Having a family myself I can tell you that these are all games that my girls have played and enjoyed. Except Ring Fit because we haven't gotten it yet.

That said, the switch was represented pretty well last night even if you don't think it was.
  • Smash GOTY nom
  • Link's Awakening Art Direction nom
  • Cadence of Hyrule best score nom
  • Astral Chain best action game nom
  • Link's Awakening best action/adventure nom
  • Smash best fighting game WIN (questionable)
  • FE3H best strategy game WIN
  • Tetris 99 best multiplayer game nom
  • FE3H players voice WIN

Nintendo did just fine at the awards.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But I also think that "Family" is an important keyword here, too. These are games my wife will also hop in on, or my brother-in-law. They tend to be more inclusive and friendly than the rest of the pack. I get your vibe here and I truly hope these titles don't end up stuck in this category, but I also get why they're here.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Bear in mind, these were blind nominated by a panel of around 80 publications. There was no way to to rig it to all be Nintendo, it just worked out that way.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Family Games as in "is a game that will be enjoyed by the family together" would have been more meaningful than just "all ages game". Like Mario Party and Just Dance. Nothing worth getting upset over about though.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This kind of furthers OPs point though. Out of all the Nintendo games this past year, the only one that got a Game of the Year nomination is the one where their characters beat the shit out of each other.

I have to admit, I would love to live in a world were a game like Ring Fit Adventure could get a GOTY nomination. And I think it would even deserve to win given how the game has personally impacted my life.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I would love to live in a world were a game like Ring Fit Adventure could get a GOTY nomination. And I think it would even deserve to win given how the game has personally impacted my life.

It needs to break into the RPG or sport category first 😂 but you're right. It's like Brain Training, no doubt it will just get chucked into the family category next year.

It's hard to put a point across through text but it has been an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just because your kid likes watching you play Ring Fit Adventure doesn't make it a family game, come on now, that game isn't even multiplayer. Games like Smash Ultimate also don't really make it possible for people of different ability to play together well. The category is a euphemism for ESRB E rating, not an actual family game game type.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

That's why it's the family category and not the <10 category. Family means both kids and adults.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Just because your kid likes watching you play Ring Fit Adventure doesn't make it a family game, come on now, that game isn't even multiplayer. Games like Smash Ultimate also don't really make it possible for people of different ability to play together well. The category is a euphemism for ESRB E rating, not an actual family game game type.

Thank you, this was what I was trying to get at but you worded it better. All these games are is that your kid can sit and watch without you worrying. One of those games is single player (Ring Fit), and two are single player with 2 player as an option (Luigi, Yoshi). The other focuses on creating a level and sharing it online (Mario Maker), whilst lastly Smash as you said is certainly not the best of games to play with the family if they are of different ability. I think we are giving this category too much credit for what it's trying to do. It's a dumping ground for "kid friendly" games and nothing more.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how Ring Fit is even there. What makes that a family game in any way lol? Should've been nominated for best RPG

You're not wrong.

Hell, it should've been in the overall GOTY category. It's the best Nintendo game I've played since BotW, easily.

Reducing it to a generic "family" category makes zero sense. I don't think kids want to do 100 squats in a row to progress through levels.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Why questionable? It's the highest profile, best selling, and best reviewed fighting game of the nominees.
I bought it day one, I enjoy it. As a fighting game I enjoyed SamSho and MK11 more.
As a fun gather up the friends and talk shit while being in awe of 30 years of fanservice it's a wonderful game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Best Sports/Racing Game:

- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Beenox/Activision)
- DiRT Rally 2.0 (Codemasters)
- eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 (PES Productions/Konami)
- F1 2019 (Codemasters)
- FIFA 20 (EA Sports)

I see no reason why they could not put Ring Fit under sports. A game should be praised for doing something different, not relegated into its own category. I'm honestly surprised that they have the courage to put Smash under fighting game.

Best Multiplayer Game

- Apex Legends (Respawn/EA)
- Borderlands 3 (Gearbox/2K)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward/Activision)
- Tetris 99 (Arika/Nintendo)
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Massive Entertainment/Ubisoft)

I don't see the word "online" before multiplayer in this category. They need to either name these categories properly or be more inclusive. Forget other games that haven't made it onto this list, if Smash isn't a best multiplayer nominee, I don't know what is.

Ring Fit Adventure isn't a sports game. You workout, which most people don't consider a sport. It actually fits better in the Best RPG category.

Smash didn't get Best Multiplayer Game purely because its online sucks. But it should have still been nominated since only MK rivals Smash in local multiplayer.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
It's honestly quite reflective of the AAA industry and especially the event.

The games for everyone are just mostly shoved to a corner where they can't join the "big boys" even with critical acclaim.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
yeah it does kind of feel like a category that exists to shove a bunch of great games that still aren't good or serious enough to compete with the big boys

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
OP is just really correct and has explained themself well. At the end of the day it's not the biggest deal in the world but it does point to, at the very least, an issue with the categories and at most a bias against certain types of games.

The category just doesn't make sense in how it played out this year. The connection between them all is that they are family friendly. So is the award given to a game that is family friendly but is also the best game? Why wouldn't Smash win that since it's nominated for GotY? Or maybe its the game that is the most enjoyable when played with family? It doesn't make sense that LM3 would win that when coop is completely unnecesary and (though fun) wasn't the focal point of the game.

It's basically like an ad in a Christmas catalogue highlighting popular games that kids might like. It doesn't recognize a game for it's merits that make it great. That's fine if that's what they want but it doesn't really mean anything.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I think one of the issue is that there are too many good games that deserve some kind of shoutout in the show.
The video game industry is huge, and limiting its representation to a handful of game per genre is frustrating. The family category doesn't have to make sense, but it exists to show a wider variety of games.
Just look at the Action/Adventure category.
Does it really make sense to put Death Stranding, Sekiro, Link's Awakening and Borderlands 3 (among other) together as being part of the same genre ? I don't think so either, but it's there.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically the "best animated movie" oscars award.
So just to give an actual award to amazing games that should be in the goty list but arent because "muh hardcore gamers" brought to you by Monster Drink TM.

Oct 27, 2017
OP I get where you are coming from, but I think the problem is more with the industry itself. The classification only reflects the fact that "cartoony" games aren't taken as seriously as more realistic games and you can't find major publishers making them with AAA value. Only a few "family games" manage to escape this ghetto, such as 3D Zelda, Mario and Smash.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
You are overthinking it, as someone that occasionally searches for games to play with my nieces i appreciate the category.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
For me, a family game is not about the target audience but accessibility. Or, in other words "can a person who never played VG can play and enjoy the experience". In that category I can think of Tetris, Worms, Overcoocked and Heave Ho (which should have been in this category this year).
Luigi's and Smash have way to many control or rules (mostly Smash) to be in my definition of family category.
A game being accessible to all ages and being fun to play locally with friends and family should be a plus to what the game already offers.
Exactly. I think LM3 is a really great game and deserved to be praised.
The fact I played most of it with my GF and it was a blast is a bonus, not a category.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, if nothing else, makes better family friendly games than anyone. This is their very image. I don't see the problem.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, this was what I was trying to get at but you worded it better. All these games are is that your kid can sit and watch without you worrying. One of those games is single player (Ring Fit), and two are single player with 2 player as an option (Luigi, Yoshi). The other focuses on creating a level and sharing it online (Mario Maker), whilst lastly Smash as you said is certainly not the best of games to play with the family if they are of different ability. I think we are giving this category too much credit for what it's trying to do. It's a dumping ground for "kid friendly" games and nothing more.
I don't see what multiplayer has to do with this. It's just games that the whole family can enjoy, not necessarily playing at the same time.

I think it's fine, the Ring Fit choice seems kind of lame, but whatever.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I don't see what the problem is. Having a family myself I can tell you that these are all games that my girls have played and enjoyed. Except Ring Fit because we haven't gotten it yet.

That said, the switch was represented pretty well last night even if you don't think it was.
  • Smash GOTY nom
  • Link's Awakening Art Direction nom
  • Cadence of Hyrule best score nom
  • Astral Chain best action game nom
  • Link's Awakening best action/adventure nom
  • Smash best fighting game WIN (questionable)
  • FE3H best strategy game WIN
  • Tetris 99 best multiplayer game nom
  • FE3H players voice WIN

Nintendo did just fine at the awards.

How was Smash's best fighting game win questionable?

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Reward them by putting them in other categories where they belong through genre, not delegating them to their own as if being able to be played by all ages means they can't be in the same list as other games.

Very brave of them to give Smash Ultimate the fighting game award and not just chucking them into the family game list too(!)

Where would you put Luigis Mansion? Or Ring Fit? And are they better than the games you would have to replace them with?