• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
OP is just really correct and has explained themself well. At the end of the day it's not the biggest deal in the world but it does point to, at the very least, an issue with the categories and at most a bias against certain types of games.

The category just doesn't make sense in how it played out this year. The connection between them all is that they are family friendly. So is the award given to a game that is family friendly but is also the best game? Why wouldn't Smash win that since it's nominated for GotY? Or maybe its the game that is the most enjoyable when played with family? It doesn't make sense that LM3 would win that when coop is completely unnecesary and (though fun) wasn't the focal point of the game.

It's basically like an ad in a Christmas catalogue highlighting popular games that kids might like. It doesn't recognize a game for it's merits that make it great. That's fine if that's what they want but it doesn't really mean anything.

Great point. Why did Luigi win this category? What makes it the better "family" game? I'm not going to look into years of release right now, but Jackbox Party Pack 6 (with the built in family friendly option!) is so much more suited. As is trivia pursuit on Hasbro game Night (most fun I've had with the family in a video game in a long time). And FIFA, because what beats playing 2 v 2 or a mini tournament with family and friends? And before skill is mentioned... Smash Bros is not any more family friendly for skill gaps. FIFA now has a simple control options too. This is nothing but a "we didn't know where to put these games, and your kid will be safe with this game on the screen" category.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I explained myself earlier. In a year without MK11 or Samsho, yes fine.

Yeah, I saw your previous post. And your logic doesn't make any sense. If you're saying that this is because MK11 and SamSho are more technical, then yes, but Smash is still just as much given how big it is in EVO and tournaments every year, just a different kind of technicality. And I think having that low barrier to entry and customization, where you can play in a four-player free-for-all with items on or a simple 1v1 match, is a great thing to have in a fighting game.

So while you're certainly welcome to have your preference, saying that it doesn't deserve the award because it isn't as "hardcore" as other fighters is ridiculous.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
OP I get where you are coming from, but I think the problem is more with the industry itself. The classification only reflects the fact that "cartoony" games aren't taken as seriously as more realistic games and you can't find major publishers making them with AAA value. Only a few "family games" manage to escape this ghetto, such as 3D Zelda, Mario and Smash.

Zelda isn't really a Family Game. Just because it has bright colors and cartoon graphic doesn't mean it's suitable for kids and only a few Zelda has multiplayer.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Where would you put Luigis Mansion? Or Ring Fit? And are they better than the games you would have to replace them with?

If fantastic, well received games like Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit and Super Mario Maker 2 which are enjoyed by millions who may or may not have families they play with, do not fit into any category other than "family game", then it's down to whoever organises this show to figure it out. They are the ones making money off it.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My personal feelings:

The Family Friendly Category is fine idea, but unfortunately it has become the animated film awards. Namely, it seems to be used more as a dumping ground for games that the panel didn't feel 'worthy' of the other categories, but were too good to completely ignore. Like Luigi Mansion could have placed in the Action Adventure Category if a game like Death Stranding qualifies. Ring Fit Adventure could have gone into best RPG or, god forbid, been a nominee for GOTY for being a game about improving people's quality of life while being a fun and engaging game.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems more like someone's feeling a little insecure over the implied "kiddy" label than the award itself being condescending.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Seems more like someone's feeling a little insecure over the implied "kiddy" label than the award itself being condescending.

Couldn't care less at a personal level, but when it's done at a professional high budget level where millions of viewers are involved, I feel that it's worth pointing out that the format may not be taking all games and tastes into account, if that's what you mean.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind it personally but I will agree that there is an issue in how games are categorized in the VGAs and the gaming community/industry as a whole.

There is a clear bias towards gritty, violent "adult" themed games as those that push the medium forward in an artistic sense while anything else is usually seen as "just a game."

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Good post.

Time will show of these games were true classics and stood the test of time.

That said nothing wrong with handing out awards to recognize excellence.

That's kind of my thought process here. With all due respect to Geoff and what he does, it's clear he wants the games industry to be treated as an equal alongside those of music, TV, and film. And that's all well and good, but the problem is the games industry is fundamentally different from all of those. And inviting guests specifically drawn FROM music, TV, and film only looks to make video games subservient to more mainstream media.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of my thought process here. With all due respect to Geoff and what he does, it's clear he wants the games industry to be treated as an equal alongside those of music, TV, and film. And that's all well and good, but the problem is the games industry is fundamentally different from all of those. And inviting guests specifically drawn FROM music, TV, and film only looks to make video games subservient to more mainstream media.

I must say I lost interest with the guests other than Reggie.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The intentions seem to be from a good place, but it's hard for me to not see it not as a "Best Nintendo Game Award". Actually i'm surprised that we aren't getting platform exclusive awards like we used to actually. I guess since a lot of stuff is multiplatform nowadays that it would be redundant I assume.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The intentions seem to be from a good place, but it's hard for me to not see it not as a "Best Nintendo Game Award". Actually i'm surprised that we aren't getting platform exclusive awards like we used to actually. I guess since a lot of stuff is multiplatform nowadays that it would be redundant I assume.

The thing is that the year previous, Nintendo only had 3 out of the 5 nominees. Overcooked 2 and Starlink also got nominated ..(though Starlink does have Nintendo connections due to StarFox being in the game on Switch). And in fact, Overcooked 2 won - no Nintendo published games won any awards in 2018.