• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The dark/grey color tones were a relic of it's time and the series (and almost every action game of the time) ran it to the ground. I'm glad the series has evolved to a more 'colorful' world. It reflects the evolution of the world as well. Gears Judgment was pre/early locust war where it made sense. Gears 4 is post the locust war so it also makes sense there that the world is flourishing.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am quite the opposite. I played through all the games last month again. And the "greyness" really didnt stand the test of time for me.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That honestly makes me want to avoid playing, those bleak visuals put me down emotionally where I question why am I subjecting myself to such misery. Thank god for the change in colour, i don't feel as if I have to reason with myself to play, the world feels alive and I want to experience more of it.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I kind of agree with you OP despite really not liking all the "greyed out" games we got last gen. But for me, it might be because Gears 1 had that non-scary horror vibe if that makes any sense that lent itself really well to the grey look. I remember a lot of people wondering if it would be a scary game or not back then.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just

grab your TV remote
Turn color and contrast down
Turn brightness up a bit to compensate

Bam, you've got your favored Gears experience back

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I hate the character design in Gears (this is best observed in the deservedly much maligned Dom/Maria cutscene where his cartoonishly sized hand basically envelops her entire head), and the really weird looking tanks, the gothic-inspired environment design has always been top notch. I thought the grey/brown helped sell the war torn nature of the world in 1-3.

That said, Gears 4 was a step above in terms of art direction and color. They even tried to fix some of the character designs, but there's really only so much you can do from that starting point. Ugh.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That honestly makes me want to avoid playing, those bleak visuals put me down emotionally where I question why am I subjecting myself to such misery. Thank god for the change in colour, i don't feel as if I have to reason with myself to play, the world feels alive and I want to experience more of it.
That color scheme was just right for Gears, given the story and intended experience at the time.
And the new designs are just right for Gears today

Oct 28, 2017
100% agreed. And it's more than just the lack of colour. It's the general tone. Something was definitely lost.

I want a reboot that goes all in on the horror elements. That Mad World trailer for the first game? I want that game.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Feel quite the opposite. The aesthetics of the early games always looked muddy and samey throughout. The aesthetics of Gears was always one of it's weaknesses. I'm glad they have been evolving the art since 4.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a large portion of last gen was marked by that Unreal 3 aesthetic, which grew very tiresome in my opinion, so I can't say I agree.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
1 is an anomaly in the series. 2, 3, and 4 all have colorful and varied settings. They've been touting a departure from "grey and gritty" since the second game.

Jan 21, 2019
The best thing about current gen was the invention of color. Even Killzone was bustling with color when they showed Shadowfall. I'm glad those brown grey times are over and they are only used when necessary and not the go to for every AAA game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I remember one of the most exciting aspects about Gears 3 was that it had a shit ton more color in it than the first two.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It just looks unimaginative and washed out. Even a post-apocalyptic setting is gonna have some pretty to it. Trust me I'm from 11 years in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really don't. By all means have some darker levels and try to play up the horror elements, but I definitely prefer variety to the greys, blacks and browns of Gears 1 (and to a lesser extent Gears 2).

I really like the look of Gears 5 visually from what we've seen so far. Love the shot of Kait rappelling done into some sort of bright green forest area.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even console Fallout fans have seen the light, and I never thought I'd see that day. Color is the way.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The atmosphere of Gears 1 on the 360 was amazing, like you literally felt like you were in some desolate, hopeless world. The Xbox One remaster kind of removed some of that with the added color and visual flair, but yeah the gray really did capture the essence of Gears back when it was trying to be a little more horror-ish.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I played all Gears this summer with my brother, and there was much rejoicing when color was introduced.

Oct 28, 2017
The atmosphere of Gears 1 on the 360 was amazing, like you literally felt like you were in some desolate, hopeless world. The Xbox One remaster kind of removed some of that with the added color and visual flair, but yeah the gray really did capture the essence of Gears back when it was trying to be a little more horror-ish.
Yeah. None of the other Gears games felt like that. Not even 2. The horror elements of the series very quickly died and it's a big reason the first game resonated so much with me.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Turn down the saturation/color on your TV?

Hell get the game on PC and ReShade or FreeStyle it till it looks like what you want.

FOr people who enjoy color getting the game mostly greyscale is nigh impossible to fix.
Also the world has moved forward....both IRL and in the game.....the Apocalypse has passed we are at the hopeful stage by Gears 4.
Hell the speech at the beginning of Gears 4 should have given you an idea this isnt all doom and gloom like Gears 1.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gears1Gridlock5.jpg

I like the moody night shots you posted but this kind of color scale is something I'm not really missing

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Think Gears 4 looked pretty good with how they did the night. It has color but also felt ominous

desktop_2017_05_14_1714s0w.jpg

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I think the main issue with past Gears games has been that one colour was super dominant when you were looking at the environmental design:
Gears 1: grey & brown, standout level was the one where you were in that Imulsion cave
Gears 2: grey & brown
Gears 3: brown & yellow
Gears 4: blue, the swarm enemies did add more of a pink/red-like color to the overall colour palette

Gears 5 is already looking way more colorful and vibrant in comparison to it's past installments. Bright blue-colored ice areas, a sort of sulfuric red color in the desert area, a lush green color in that jungle-like area. It's funny because ever since I've seen that trailer, it reminds me of the color palette from Witcher 3's Toussaint. I'm all for this change honestly. I do get why you'd prefer it like that, so I just think it comes down to opinions ;)

OrnateSparklingBluet-size_restricted.gif

NeglectedAdmiredGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think Gears of War 1 makes a mix of grimdark with dudebro that doesn't work at all. They had to choose one of the two things.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
All I remember from Gears 2 is brown.
The other games had at least some color.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I don't think there's anything wrong with games keeping their own aesthetic to be a certain way, it's when every game was following the same suite that it got real old real fast. However I think there's ways to keep the "feel" of the old color palette without being a snyderscape color grading nightmare as well.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I agree, OP. The new Gears games look objectively nice and pleasing to the eye, but I really liked the "in the deep shit" feeling of desolation and ruin of the original game.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the opposite. That older palette was not to my taste, Gears 5 finally looks appealing to me.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Games from that generation are always criticized for it's dark colors but they're often deliberate moves to create theme, tone and mood.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem is that Gears of War creates a tone and mood that then completely breaks with the protagonists that act fratboys.

Create a huge dissonance to see those desolate environments and the characters shouting things like "EAT SHIT, I'M GOING TO PUT THIS LANCER THROUGH YOUR ASS".

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 still looks pretty grimy to me. They just put some colors under the grime filters

Also, that powerlifter scientist in his lab coat makes me laugh every time I see him.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I miss the tone and the horror elements of the first game to go along with the depressing grey look. Felt like a never ending bleak warzone.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
As a big fan of the franchise, it has gotten to the point where I feel if Gears 5 isn't a great refresher for the series that it would be wise to take a Halo Infinite approach for the next Gears game and bring back the art style of the original game. Here are some shots/art of that game compared to the recent Gears 5 trailer and despite the latter being a generation ahead (the last two are from Mad World trailer though), I still think the former is the more visually striking game.

Deciding on whether a new game is a fresh experience based on choice of color? I think other stuff will be more important than that.

OP, you do notice that the grey areas from Gears 1-3 had a lot to do with atmospheric manipulation from the Maelstrom, right? The last bits of Gears 3 already have a considerably different color scheme. I agree with you that 1-3 had its moments, especially with the horror atmosphere of 1 and some cool underground architecture in 2. But I'd say the change in color also has lore reasons (I've only played Gears 1-3 so far though).

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. And that dark, gritty, macabre aesthetic could be pushed even further with the new technology. The first Gears had a nightmarish, horror movie atmosphere that is missing in the new games. The music was perfect too. Pull up that game menu... that music still gives me chills. New games sound like typical overproduced Michael Bay movie scores. Totally different look and feel.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i somewhat agree. while i had issues with gears 1, i loved the more horror vibe and the gameplay involving light and dark. the series has definitely moved quite a ways away from that tone and i'd be lying if i didnt say that i'd have preferred if 5 went more in that direction. hopefully a spin off can explore more of those themes.